PDA

View Full Version : Loria to spend Marlins opening day with San Antonio officials

jmcclain19
03-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Surely the location of the game plays a factor, but interesting, nonetheless

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-marnotes24mar24,0,1095753.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

COURTING SAN ANTONIO

Since they'll be in Texas, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and team President David Samson have invited San Antonio leaders to join them in Houston for the April 3 opener between the Marlins and Astros.

The invitation was extended to Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff, who is leading the effort to lure the Marlins to San Antonio, and his wife; Mayor Phil Hardberger and his wife; and several county commissioners.

"He'll be happy to sit and watch the game with Jeffrey Loria and talk to him about the potential for San Antonio being a home for the Marlins," Hardberger spokesman J. J. Saulino said.

Wolff submitted a stadium financing proposal to the Marlins earlier this month.

Staff writers Sarah Talalay and Juan C. Rodriguez contributed to this report.

KronoRed
03-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Didn't San Antonio build the Alamo Dome for an NFL team and then one never showed up? I just wonder if they will spend the cash to build another stadium

flyer85
03-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Didn't San Antonio build the Alamo Dome for an NFL team and then one never showed up? I just wonder if they will spend the cash to build another stadiumsouth Florida certainly isn't. I think contraction is still a possibility and certainly something the owners want to use as a bargaining chip.

Unassisted
04-18-2006, 04:56 PM
If the Marlins are coming to SA, they have less than a month to decide to do so.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/3800325.html

San Antonio sets May 15 deadline

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said he is imposing a May 15 deadline for the Florida Marlins to commit to moving to San Antonio.

Wolff told the San Antonio Express-News in a story posted on the paper's online edition that he would fax a letter with the deadline to David Samson, president of the National League club.

"We have received the letter, but we have no comment," Marlins spokesman P.J. Loyello said.

pedro
04-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Our lovely mayor out here in portland is pissing all over our bid to get a team.

Glad I didn't vote for the putz.

westofyou
04-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Our lovely mayor out here in portland is pissing all over our bid to get a team.

Glad I didn't vote for the putz.

Merry Christmas Mr Potter!!!

pedro
04-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Merry Christmas Mr Potter!!!

I had a pretty good feeling that any mayoral candidate whose plan for solving portland's problems involved getting a bunch of hippies together and brainstorming wasn't going be pro baseball.

What a yutz.

westofyou
04-18-2006, 05:03 PM
I had a pretty good feeling that any mayoral candidate whose plan for solving portland's problems involved getting a bunch of hippies together and brainstorming wasn't going be pro baseball.

What a yutz.

More Community Outreach Corners and Bike Workshops!!!

Unassisted
04-18-2006, 05:05 PM

Glad I didn't vote for the putz.I think I read that Portland and Vegas are declining to pay for a stadium. It's kind of hard to compete with San Antonio's $200 million stadium offer when you don't ante up. But that has also given our county judge the leverage to demand a decision in such a short time.

pedro
04-18-2006, 05:06 PM
More Community Outreach Corners and Bike Workshops!!!

don't forget the trees!

ok... that's probably not fair to the lorax.

pedro
04-18-2006, 05:09 PM
I think I read that Portland and Vegas are declining to pay for a stadium. It's kind of hard to compete with San Antonio's $200 million stadium offer when you don't ante up.

we had a deal to have one built and the legislation is still in effect but the mayor is trying to get it shut down.

one of the native oregon tribes offered to build a stadium for gaming righst in portland, but the governor turned them down. I don't see what the big deal is .. you can't trip in this city without falling on a stripper, a sex shop, or a liquor store. Not sure what additional harm gambling will add.

RBA
04-18-2006, 05:11 PM
I think I read that Portland and Vegas are declining to pay for a stadium. It's kind of hard to compete with San Antonio's $200 million stadium offer when you don't ante up. But that has also given our county judge the leverage to demand a decision in such a short time.

But the stadium they propose is open air. No retractable roof. Is that a good idea in San Antonio? They need to spend the extra money and go with the retractable roof.

Unassisted
04-18-2006, 05:15 PM
But the stadium they propose is open air. No retractable roof. Is that a good idea in San Antonio? They need to spend the extra money and go with the retractable roof.Their pitch is that that Marlins should chip in the extra $100M for a roof. $200M pushes the county to the upper limit of its hotel-motel tax.

To chip in any more would mean taxing county residents. The sales tax here in the county is close to its upper limit, and as you undoubtedly know in your part of the state, property tax increases are about as popular as bird flu.

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Texas gets by without a roof.

KronoRed
04-18-2006, 05:18 PM
If they move to San Antonio, do they move into the NL Central?

Unassisted
04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
If they move to San Antonio, do they move into the NL Central?AFAIK, MLB hasn't said a word publicly about anything related to this possible move.

Bud will probably offer up a straw man proposal with something screwy like having them switch divisions with the Diamondbacks. :rolleyes:

Rojo
04-21-2006, 06:56 PM
What would happen, you think, if a city just bought a team. Do you think MLB would allow it? I think not. The parasitic owners don't want their cover blown.

pedro
04-21-2006, 07:02 PM
What would happen, you think, if a city just bought a team. Do you think MLB would allow it? I think not. The parasitic owners don't want their cover blown.

I don't know if a city would want to buy a team. It appears that the profit in owning a team comes from the appreciation in value realized when selling the team not in the daily operation. That might make a sports team an unlikely investment in the current market.

Rojo
04-21-2006, 07:06 PM
I don't know if a city would want to buy a team. It appears that the profit in owning a team comes from the appreciation in value realized when selling the team not in the daily operation. That might make a sports team an unlikely investment in the current market.

I think the owners want people to believe that, the bigger fool theory, but I suspect otherwise. Sheer vanity can't drive up prices this high, if the losses were great.

The city of Green Bay owns the Packers. Its worked out for them. Maybe Chili knows something about this.

pedro
04-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I think the owners want people to believe that, the bigger fool theory, but I suspect otherwise. Sheer vanity can't drive up prices this high, if the losses were great.

The city of Green Bay owns the Packers. Its worked out for them. Maybe Chili knows something about this.

Hard to say to what extent they are cooking their books.

As for GB, they've owned the team since the 1920's so they didn't buy high.

Rojo
04-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Can buying a team be that much more expensive than building a stadium?

pedro
04-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Can buying a team be that much more expensive than building a stadium?

depends on the team. in some case probably not even as much.

Unassisted
04-21-2006, 11:48 PM
depends on the team. in some case probably not even as much.You are correct, sir!

Just saw an article excerpt today from the new issue of Forbes magazine which estimated the value of the Yankees at just over $1 billion. OTOH, the D-Rays were estimated to be worth $209 million. It's late, and I'm too tired to find a link. :sleep:

savafan
05-11-2006, 01:10 PM
http://www.fishstripes.com/story/2006/5/11/5010/17656

It comes as no surprise that San Antonio is now out of the running.

The Marlins won't be moving to San Antonio, at least not any time soon.

Officials in Bexar County, Texas, had set a May 15 deadline for the Marlins to pledge a move west. But the team this week declined to meet the deadline, saying its preference was to work out a deal in South Florida, according to a San Antonio official.

The Marlins are going to concentrate on working out the Hialeah deal.

I really have more to say on this subject but, unfortunately, I have to get up real early in the morning and this is the best I can do at the moment.

Unassisted
05-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Can't say as I'm surprised. The deadline letter reportedly received a very chilly response.

The county government here is considering a new law that forbids it from negotiating move packages with a team that approaches it without its league. The county commissioner who introduced it is steamed about the city's brush with the Saints and the Marlins, who never had any support from their respective league offices for a move here. I think that law might be a good idea.

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 03:35 PM
They won't be staying in Florida, unless they want to play at the Orange Bowl when they get booted from Dolphin land in a few years.

Heath
05-11-2006, 04:05 PM
I think this is Bud's personal dream come true.

Expect to see the words 'contraction' fairly soon.

KronoRed
05-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Then Loria will need a team

Heath
05-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Then Loria will need a team

I hear the NFL wants one in Los Angeles :dunno: