PDA

View Full Version : Dave Weathers (The Bullfrog) closer?

KearnsyEars
03-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Hey fellas, I just drafted weathers in my ESPN fantasy league. Is this guy still our closer? I think he is, I mean, he's only 90 % owned and his trend has him recently being dropped. What gives? He starts the year as closer correct? With Mercker the probable incumbent should he fail?

KearnsyEars
03-27-2006, 10:15 AM
fellas? was this a bad question or?

RedsManRick
03-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Basically it's Weathers' job, but if one of the young guns really steps forward he's liable to lose it. Also, Narron probably won't hesitate to give Mercker or one of the other arms a shot every now and then if he feels Weathers could use the day off.

I wouldn't count on him for more than 15-20 saves this year. That said, if you can get him off the wire, do. Just make sure that as soon as he's got some value, that you flip him. Keep an eye out for a team in need (like the guy who took Jenks as his primary closer) and pounce.

KearnsyEars
03-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm thinking about pickign up dustin hermanson for this above reason. Jenks is brutal

Johnny Footstool
03-27-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking about pickign up dustin hermanson for this above reason. Jenks is brutal

Neal Cotts is apparently Option 2 for the ChiSox.

RedsManRick
03-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Hermanson is still dealing with back issues. Cotts or even Politte are probably better options than Hermanson. Actually, in terms of security, I would stay away from both the Reds and Sox closer situations altogether. In my opinion, if you're looking at the long haul, you're better off finding a backup to a closer who could be an injury risk but is a solid K and ratio guy on his own (like a Justin Duchscherer behind Street in Oakland Duaner Sanchez behind Billy Wagner with the Mets, or Baez behind Gagne in LA).