PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoons

savafan
03-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Okay, even though my fiancee and I aren't planning on getting married until late 2007/2008, we have set up a savings account for a honeymoon and have begun looking into some possible destinations.

I've requested brochures on the various popular resorts like Sandals, Caesars, etc. My fiancee loves amusement parks, and I've also looked into some of those around the country. We would both love to visit Europe, and that is another possibility, but may be too pricey for us. Another thing is, if we have the wedding in the fall, then somewhere with a warm weather climate would probably be most appropriate.

Where have you 'Zoners gone on your honeymoons, and what places do you recommend or not recommend going to?

rdiersin
03-27-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm getting married in July and my fiance and I are going to the Olympic Penninsula and Seattle. I'm not sure how that is in the fall, I would imagine that it would be pretty, but it isn't exactly what you might call a warm weather climate.

savafan
03-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Forgive me for my ignorance rdiersin, but what is around there. I really know next to nothing about Seattle. :)

Johnny Footstool
03-27-2006, 10:50 AM
My wife and I went to Sandals at Dunn's River in Jamaica. It was nice -- we swam, drank, snorkled, drank, ate, drank, and swam. We stayed for 5 days and had a great time.

If you choose to go to a resort like that, here are a couple bits of advice:

1) Go for an all-inclusive package. It's a lot more enjoyable if you don't have to worry about spending cash on drinks and dinner, or leaving a tip.

2) Don't get an expensive room. Aside from showering and sleeping, you don't spend any time there.

3) Don't go on any "shopping excursions" in the local towns. They take you to tourist shopping centers that all have the same t-shirts, woven hats, and liquor, and the prices are the same as the Duty-Free stores in the airport.

Johnny Footstool
03-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm getting married in July and my fiance and I are going to the Olympic Penninsula and Seattle. I'm not sure how that is in the fall, I would imagine that it would be pretty, but it isn't exactly what you might call a warm weather climate.

Seattle is very beautiful, but rainy. VERY rainy. It probably won't be too cold in the fall, but it will be wet.

Downtown Seattle is amazing -- lots to do, lots to see. Don't bother with the monorail -- it's a waste of money. Do visit the Space Needle, though -- the view of Puget Sound is gorgeous.

RedFanAlways1966
03-27-2006, 10:53 AM
The wife and I went to St. Pete, FL for our honeymoon. We both like the beach. I booked our trip on hotwire and got a really good package (hotel, flight & rental car). We are the big-time "go out on the town" types... so it was the beach during the day & a nice place to eat in the evening. We saw the dogs run and visited some other places also.

rdiersin
03-27-2006, 10:56 AM
;)
Forgive me for my ignorance rdiersin, but what is around there. I really know next to nothing about Seattle. :)

Well, it depends on what you want. The Olympic Penninsula has some nice places to relax and there is hiking, ocean kayaking, etc. It is also a beautiful area. There are some small towns that I guess you can go and walk around also(I think). If you do the ocean kayak thing, I think you have a good chance to see a good amount of wildlife, including bald eagles, otters, seals, and I think in cetain times of the year (I think fall is one of them) whales. Hurricane Ridge is supposed to be pretty stunning as well.

As for Seattle, I think there are lots of things to do there as well, touristy and not so touristy. Lots of places to eat too. I'm a big Northern Exposure fan and my fiance enjoys it too, so we might even drive out to where that show was filmed for fun. See Cicely, Alaska in Washington :) . Also, I am trying to see if I can get my fiance to go fly fishing for some summer run steelhead. We'll see how that works ;) .

I hope that helps. I will give a full report after the honeymoon :)

rdiersin
03-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Seattle is very beautiful, but rainy. VERY rainy. It probably won't be too cold in the fall, but it will be wet.

Downtown Seattle is amazing -- lots to do, lots to see. Don't bother with the monorail -- it's a waste of money. Do visit the Space Needle, though -- the view of Puget Sound is gorgeous.

Yea, we bought some rain jackets a couple of weekends ago partly for that reason. We are going in the summer, so it shouldn't be too bad, but we'll see. But in the fall it may be a lot wetter. Thanks for the info, I was surprised that the monorail only goes a mile or two? I don't recall exactly, but it was a surprisingly short distance for what I remember reading. We'll have to make sure we go the Space Needle then, since I was thinking about skipping it. Thanks Johnny

pedro
03-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Yea, we bought some rain jackets a couple of weekends ago partly for that reason. We are going in the summer, so it shouldn't be too bad, but we'll see. But in the fall it may be a lot wetter. Thanks for the info, I was surprised that the monorail only goes a mile or two? I don't recall exactly, but it was a surprisingly short distance for what I remember reading. We'll have to make sure we go the Space Needle then, since I was thinking about skipping it. Thanks Johnny

It'll be beautiful that time of year rdiersin. Come prepared, but I doubt you'll see much rain at all.

If you're up in that area. You may want to check out Victoria BC as well. Everyone I know that has been there says it was awesome and it's just a short trip from Seattle.

pedro
03-27-2006, 11:07 AM
To visit Victoria, B.C., Canada from dowtown Seattle without a car, take the Victoria Clipper. This ferry will have you in Victoria in 2 1/2 hours, departing from downtown Seattle as a passenger only ferry. The Clipper has several a.m. departures and several return boats in the evening.

Johnny Footstool
03-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Tour Safeco field, too. Gorgeous ballpark.

rdiersin
03-27-2006, 11:13 AM
It'll be beautiful that time of year rdiersin. Come prepared, but I doubt you'll see much rain at all.

If you're up in that area. You may want to check out Victoria BC as well. Everyone I know that has been there says it was awesome and it's just a short trip from Seattle.

Yea, we've thought about it, but I don't have a passport and Canada has changed their ways. We are staying in Port Angeles so Victoria is pretty close. We'll have to think about changing and spending a day there. Thanks.

pedro
03-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Yea, we've thought about it, but I don't have a passport and Canada has changed their ways. We are staying in Port Angeles so Victoria is pretty close. We'll have to think about changing and spending a day there. Thanks.

I'd certainly double check but my friend went there in the fall w/o a PP.

rdiersin
03-27-2006, 11:17 AM
I'd certainly double check but my friend went there in the fall w/o a PP.

Just changed for 2006. I will have to look into it more though.

Oh, and as far as the weather Sava, these may help
Port Angeles, WA (on the OP)
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/vacationclimatology/monthly/USWA0346
Seattle, WA
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/vacationclimatology/monthly/USWA0395

westofyou
03-27-2006, 11:18 AM
If it's in September you won't have to worry about the rain.

vaticanplum
03-27-2006, 11:24 AM
I found the rain in Seattle to be greatly exaggerated. It's grey there, and drizzly, but very rarely downpourly. I was only there for a month though, November-Decemberish. But if that's accurate, I think I'd take that over heavy rains anytime. And the sunny days are unbelievable.

it was not baseball season when I was there, but we went to Safeco and I got my picture taken next to the life-size !Ichiro!, Bret Boone, and Moose mascot on the outside of the stadium. They have a big glove to sit in there just like the big bat at Yankee Stadium where people meet before going in. The fact that there is a bat and a glove set at stadiums at opposite sides of the country is something that I found strangely moving.

redsfanfalcon
03-27-2006, 11:24 AM
A great, romantic place to go is Cape Cod. There are numerous bed and breakfasts to go to, and there is nothing like watching the sunset on the beach there. You can also hit Boston or even Cooperstown (a little out of your way)on the way back. It's also great if you like seafood!

westofyou
03-27-2006, 11:27 AM
I found the rain in Seattle to be greatly exaggerated.
It's how we keep the population down.

That said, it rains more in Seattle than PDX, and this winter was the worst in 5 years, it rained everyday from Christmas to Febuary. For a PNW winter think Michigan in January without the freeze.

westofyou
03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
I got married in Vegas, so I never did a Honeymoon... but I'd suggest Maui in the fall, Moab in the spring, Yellowstone in the fall, Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequia in August, Maine in September.

RBA
03-27-2006, 12:17 PM
My wife and I went to Sandals at Dunn's River in Jamaica. It was nice -- we swam, drank, snorkled, drank, ate, drank, and swam. .

Swam, drank, snorkled, drank, ate, etc?????? Hmm, this is a honeymoon? I think he has another activity in mind.

We stayed for 5 days and had a great time.

1) Go for an all-inclusive package. It's a lot more enjoyable if you don't have to worry about spending cash on drinks and dinner, or leaving a tip.

2) Don't get an expensive room. Aside from showering and sleeping, you don't spend any time there..

Showering and sleeping??? No time there? 1 minute and done, I guess? ;)

3) Don't go on any "shopping excursions" in the local towns. They take you to tourist shopping centers that all have the same t-shirts, woven hats, and liquor, and the prices are the same as the Duty-Free stores in the airport.

RBA
03-27-2006, 12:23 PM
I went to Athens on my Honeymoon. It was only a 12 hour fairy ride away, since I was stationed in Crete at the time. ;)

Well, if it is Amusement Parks, you can't do any better than Orlando. Stay clear of HIGH HUMIDITY SEASON.

If you think L.A., Southern California attractions are spread out some.

OldRightHander
03-27-2006, 12:30 PM
2) Don't get an expensive room. Aside from showering and sleeping, you don't spend any time there.

I don't know how your honeymoon went, but I don't think showering and sleeping was all that went on in our room.

OldRightHander
03-27-2006, 12:32 PM
I went to Athens on my Honeymoon. It was only a 12 hour fairy ride away, since I was stationed in Crete at the time. ;)

I probably don't want to know, but...

Johnny Footstool
03-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Swam, drank, snorkled, drank, ate, etc?????? Hmm, this is a honeymoon? I think he has another activity in mind.

Showering and sleeping??? No time there? 1 minute and done, I guess? ;)

I don't know how your honeymoon went, but I don't think showering and sleeping was all that went on in our room.

Hey, get off my case!

We did other things. Utterly unprintable things. But seeing how this is a family-friendly board and all, I didn't care to mention them.

And it didn't really matter what kind of furniture was in the room, or what the wallpaper looked like. We didn't really notice.

jmcclain19
03-27-2006, 01:34 PM
My wife and I went to Maui for our Honeymoon in January and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

The flight/condo package was a gift - and I never had any thoughts or interest in going to Hawaii before our trip - now I want to figure out how to get back to go to another island. It was more beautiful and we had more fun than I imagined. We stayed literally 15 feet from the ocean, and fell asleep at night to the loud sounds of crashing waves on the sand.

If you can find a good deal on a package - Maui has some "affordable", in the context of the major resorts anyway, places you can stay for a week on the beach.

PTBNL
03-27-2006, 02:13 PM

Hey Savafan & rdiersin, if you are 'into' nature as well as the 'Seattle Sound' (music) at all, this is a pretty cool and inexpensive place to visit:

Magnuson Park (http://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/parks/Magnuson/default.htm)
The Sound Garden is a public art work on NOAA property adjacent to Magnuson Park in Seattle, Washington. It was created in 1982 by Doug Hollis. It is constructed with a number of metal tubes on weathervane-like apparatus that catch the wind and moan eerily.

The band, Soundgarden was named after this work of art.

AND this is my absolute favorite coffee on the planet - EVEN better than Kona coffee in Hawaii:
Caffe Vita (http://caffevita.com/)
I have coffee shipped to me on a regular basis to where ever I am located at the time.
The cafe is actually a cute little place with really good homemade pasteries located near Queen Anne's.

registerthis
03-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm getting married in September, and we're planning on a Honeymoon in San Francisco/Northern California. The plan is to spend a few days in San Fran, then head out to Napa Valley to tour the wine region and stay in a quiet bed and breakfast or something. Depending on how long we plan to take, we may take a few days and head out to Yosemite.

And, we plan to do more than sleep and shower in our hotel room...watch TV, for instance. ;)

OldRightHander
03-27-2006, 02:21 PM
We got married in Manhattan, Kansas and had our honeymoon in a bed and breakfast between there and Colorado, near a town called Colby. Western Kansas might not be the most scenic place on the map, but we didn't have a lot of time off or a lot of money to spend, so it was fine. We had a little one bedroom cottage to ourselves for a couple days and it was only $75 a night.

westofyou
03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm getting married in September, and we're planning on a Honeymoon in San Francisco/Northern California.That can be the "hottest" time of year in San Francisco, many tourists show up in August dressed for August east coast style and then they'll be slammed by the fog... unprepared.

Complete opposite in Sept/October, it can be blistering hot and still air like summer. Especially in Napa, if you have never been to Yosemite the fall is the best time, I'd try not to miss it, unless it was a weekend. However the Valley Floor is nice but only is a smal percentage of the whole park.

PTBNL
03-27-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm getting married in September, and we're planning on a Honeymoon in San Francisco/Northern California. The plan is to spend a few days in San Fran, then head out to Napa Valley to tour the wine region and stay in a quiet bed and breakfast or something. Depending on how long we plan to take, we may take a few days and head out to Yosemite.

And, we plan to do more than sleep and shower in our hotel room...watch TV, for instance. ;)

If you want to spend a few extra $$$, but have the most AMAZING meal of your life, try this place:
French Laundry Restaurant (http://www.frenchlaundry.com/tfl/frenchlaundry.htm)
You have to book now though, they have reservations booked months in advance!

RBA
03-27-2006, 02:33 PM
That can be the "hottest" time of year in San Francisco, many tourists show up in August dressed for August east coast style and then they'll be slammed by the fog... unprepared.

Complete opposite in Sept/October, it can be blistering hot and still air like summer. Especially in Napa, if you have never been to Yosemite the fall is the best time, I'd try not to miss it, unless it was a weekend. However the Valley Floor is nice but only is a smal percentage of the whole park.

And make sure you plan far ahead for Yosemite, campsites, etc go fast.

registerthis
03-27-2006, 02:34 PM
That can be the "hottest" time of year in San Francisco, many tourists show up in August dressed for August east coast style and then they'll be slammed by the fog... unprepared.

That's what we've heard. She loves hot weather, I can take it or leave it.

I have never been to Yosemite, she has and she loves it. Says it was the most beautiful place she'd ever seen.

registerthis
03-27-2006, 02:36 PM
And make sure you plan far ahead for Yosemite, campsites, etc go fast.

Not sure if we'll be taking camping gear or not, that's still up in the air.

last time I went camping a bear came and started sniffing our tent, i'm a little down on camping at the moment...

westofyou
03-27-2006, 02:38 PM
If you want to spend a few extra $$$, but have the most AMAZING meal of your life, try this place:
French Laundry Restaurant (http://www.frenchlaundry.com/tfl/frenchlaundry.htm)
You have to book now though, they have reservations booked months in advance!
I was going to say that as well, if you're up there there are a plethora of great places to eat, but the laundry is legendary.

flyer85
03-27-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm getting married in July and my fiance and I are going to the Olympic Penninsula and Seattle. I'm not sure how that is in the fall, I would imagine that it would be pretty, but it isn't exactly what you might call a warm weather climate.Spent my honeynoon in the month of August in Seattle and Victoria BC area. We had a great time.

flyer85
03-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Western Kansas might not be the most scenic place on the mapthat's a definite understatement.

vaticanplum
03-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey Savafan & rdiersin, if you are 'into' nature as well as the 'Seattle Sound' (music) at all, this is a pretty cool and inexpensive place to visit:

Magnuson Park (http://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/parks/Magnuson/default.htm)
The Sound Garden is a public art work on NOAA property adjacent to Magnuson Park in Seattle, Washington. It was created in 1982 by Doug Hollis. It is constructed with a number of metal tubes on weathervane-like apparatus that catch the wind and moan eerily.

The band, Soundgarden was named after this work of art.

We made the brilliant decision to go to this place in the middle of the night, then walked around in the pitch blackness for hours trying to find it. I almost fell off a cliff and then decided that there were people chasing us (there were not). Tried to follow the "sound" of the momument which I thought I was hearing (I did not).

Never did find it. I hear it's great though, but long story short: go during the day.

Yosemite would be an awesome place for a honeymoon. But I kinda think Kansas would be too. Does it really matter where you go? You're on vacation, you're not working, you're "watching TV"; as long as you stay in the first world, how can you really go wrong?

flyer85
03-27-2006, 03:21 PM
you're "watching TV"is that what you call it?

MrsHammer
03-27-2006, 03:30 PM
My husband and I got married in April '04 here in Ky. and then spent our honeymoon in Las Vegas. It may sound a little cliche', but Las Vegas is a very versatile place. There are so many varieties of hotels and entertainment options there. You can book one of the high end resort hotels such as the Bellagio or the Venetian, etc if you want more of a spa-resort type quiet retreat. Or you can book something like the MGM or New York, New York if you want a more active, party-type atmosphere. There are options there for almost anyone's taste. Plus, if you are not the gambling type, there are still plenty of things to do such as lounging around the pools, shopping, eating until your stomach explodes..lol, and seeing shows of all different types. The Vegas strip is pretty compact all things considered, so you can walk most places. Plus, the surrounding area of Vegas offers a range of side trips/day trips to places such as Hoover Dam and Red Rock Canyon. You can even take day trips to the Grand Canyon from various locations in town. There are even a couple of roller coasters on the strip that can help satisfy your fiance's amusement park cravings. We had a blast and really didn't gamble much at all.

Heath
03-27-2006, 03:32 PM
is that what you call it?

I've heard it called doing the laundry in a joke once....I think we've brought this full circle...

vaticanplum
03-27-2006, 03:34 PM
is that what you call it?

See, if you're on your honeymoon you're going to have a good time no matter what, so my theory is, might as well remove the pressure of a nice place to go. Save your money and then go on a great trip when the marriage is falling APART so that then even if you hate each other you can at least enjoy looking at the Eiffel Tower or whatnot.

And on that cheerful note, good luck newlyweds!

flyer85
03-27-2006, 03:42 PM
I've heard it called doing the laundry in a joke once.in the moving "Goin South" it was "canned apricots". Had to see the movie to really appeciate the joke.

SunDeck
03-28-2006, 09:13 AM
I spent my honeymoon camping and hiking in Vermont. May not be your cuppa Sava, so I will give you advice based on my travels.

Europe: Yes, you should do this and it is not unaffordable. Travel by Eurail pass, stay in hostels just like the kids do. You will never in life regret it and if you don't and end up having a herd of kids, then you will always regret not going.
That'd be my #1 choice.

However, if you stay on this side of the atlantic, consider the following:

1) San Francisco. The closest thing there is to Europe in the US.
2) Pacific NW. Pick a town- Portland, Seattle, Vancouver- as a base to explore some of the most beautiful terrain on this continent. Best part is a nice mix of cool urban and outdoor opportunities. There's a reason it's so expensive to live there.
3) Washington DC - Free stuff out the wazoo. Stay in Dupont Circle, or near the Mall...or even across the river in Virginia and take the Metro everywhere. Can't miss in DC, unless you get married in the Summer when the swamp air hangs thick.
4) Ocrakoke Island. It takes a long time to get there from Ohio, but for newlyweds, I think it's a great choice. Hang out in the great bars, kayak a little, swim a little, take a tour on a square rigged two master.
5) Key West. See #4.
6) New York. Duh, it's the center of the universe.
7) Asheville, NC. Used to be, way back in the the 20's and 30's that Asheville and Chimney Rock were major honeymoon destinations. Personally, it's one of my favorite towns. Lot's of access to outdoor activities, mountain biking, kayaking, hiking and a hella-funky downtown/college atmosphere.
8) Traverse City. Haven't been there in a while, but I have always loved the great lakes culture. Sail, go to the dunes, pick cherries, swim in the lake.
9) Boston. Kind of high stress, but it's the second center of the country's historical universe. Use it as a base to get up to Portland Maine...or just go to Portland, which I have not visited, but which I hear is mighty nice.
10) Covington. Okay, I just had to put an ultra budget trip in there. Marry in June, stay in Covington, catch a home series. What could be better?

westofyou
03-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Portland Maine...or just go to Portland, which I have not visited, but which I hear is mighty nice.

Great choice, my wife and I drove up the coast after a few days in Boston back in the day, we did some B&B's up in Maine, it was in September and damn beautiful.

I used to have a client in Portland, that's a great town too, great brewpubs, brick streets, on the ocean, good food.... all of this we got to by driving from Cincinnati too.

vaticanplum
03-28-2006, 10:04 AM
1) San Francisco. The closest thing there is to Europe in the US.

Oooh...and if you're willing to head north of the border, Montreal is really great too, and relatively affordable.

creek14
03-28-2006, 10:09 AM
We went to the Cayman's. It was very nice.

GIK
03-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Northern Michigan is nice (Traverse City, etc).

RBA
03-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Dollywood?

savafan
03-28-2006, 01:02 PM
I spent my honeymoon camping and hiking in Vermont. May not be your cuppa Sava, so I will give you advice based on my travels.

Europe: Yes, you should do this and it is not unaffordable. Travel by Eurail pass, stay in hostels just like the kids do. You will never in life regret it and if you don't and end up having a herd of kids, then you will always regret not going.
That'd be my #1 choice.

I had a feeling there was a way to make Europe affordable, perhaps even more affordable than the lavish honeymoon resorts? How affordable are the hostels (and what exactly are they?)?

pedro
03-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I had a feeling there was a way to make Europe affordable, perhaps even more affordable than the lavish honeymoon resorts? How affordable are the hostels (and what exactly are they?)?

czech republic

vaticanplum
03-28-2006, 02:39 PM

Hostels are made for cheap -- and often, but not always, young -- travel. They've caught in more in Europe than they have here, but you can still find them in the bigger American cities. They tend to be kind of transient places for people who are backpacking or whatever. Sometimes people stay there for months. They're great because they're dirt cheap, usually under 20 bucks a night. Some are better than others, but most are decent and the people who work there are extremely helpful. With some internet and travel book research, you could find some reputable and well-known ones.

One thing to consider -- if you're on your honeymoon, make sure you find one with private rooms, because the idea of cheap often means sharing a room with five or six people. Also check hours before you go, because often they have lockouts in the afternoon, say 12-5, when they clean and you can't get in (fine if you're sightseeing, not so much if you've just gotten off a plane and are jet-lagged and want to crash). Some hostels don't take reservations in advance; don't let that scare you, but it's wise to call from the airport when you land to get an idea of their availability.

There are drawbacks, of course, and they're hardly the lap of luxury, but it's a great, cheap way to travel by the seat of your pants and also a great way to meet other travelers who are usually very helpful and give great local insights.

If you want to go to a lot of places (multiple hostels) then it's wise to get an international membership card which gives you a discount on a lot of them, and sometimes on other tourist attractions as well.

http://www.hiayh.org/

westofyou
03-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Well I've been up to Paris,
and I've slept in a park.
Went down to Barcelona,
someone broke in my car.
And I'll search the world over
for my angel in black.
Yeah, I'll search the world over
for a Euro-trash Girl.

TeamBoone
03-28-2006, 06:17 PM
I found the rain in Seattle to be greatly exaggerated. It's grey there, and drizzly, but very rarely downpourly. I was only there for a month though, November-Decemberish. But if that's accurate, I think I'd take that over heavy rains anytime. And the sunny days are unbelievable.

I agree about the rain. I used to go to Seattle about every other month on business, and I only remember it raining once.

It's an absolutely beautiful city. As someone else said, the view from the Space Needle is amazing. The restaurant up there is a bit pricey but if you go up for a drink and the sunset, it makes a nice appetizer before you move on.

Be sure to ride the ferry to Bainbridge Island... I believe there's a submarine there that you can tour (there used to be). Very interesting.

They also offer tours at Boeing Field and there's a wonderful restaurant there called the Blue Max with tons of memorabilia.

Pike Place Market is always fun... open air for the most part. In addition to the usual fair of open air markets, you can often find nice buys there that are nice souveneirs, rather than the junk that most places sell. I bout some gorgeous matted photographs of the city.

Pioneer Square has lots of botinque shopping, entertainment, and restaurants.

There is also a nice acquarium.

Regarding honeymoons... my suggestion is the most wonderful place I've ever been... Maui!

Cant Touch This
03-28-2006, 09:24 PM
If you can afford it, do yourself a favor and look into the resort at Lake Las Vegas. I took my wife there two weeks ago for one night to celebrate our 10-year anniversary and were spoiled rotten. We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, but there is also a Hyatt and two others that are designed more for longer stays. The whole resort is set up like a small Mediterranean village with shops, restaurants, activities, etc. There is a spa and a golf course - I treated my wife to a spa treatment but didn't have enough time to play.

The website is simply www.lakelasvegas.com - I encourage you to check it out. They offer a shuttle to the strip if you want to do the whole Vegas thing while you are here. There is a casino on site, though. For us, it was a pleasure to escape from the Vegas scene!

IowaRed
03-28-2006, 09:56 PM
went to the Turks & Caicos islands. Beautiful beaches, great weather, and did a couple excursions. One was a little wild with a Club Med group and the other was in a very small boat with another couple. We went to an island that had iguanas all over the place, a bay where we found sand dollars, snorkeling and looked at flamingos. Very cool except for the fact that we were robbed at gunpoint on a semi-secluded beach.

cincinnati chili
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
IPortland Maine...or just go to Portland, which I have not visited, but which I hear is mighty nice.

I was married there, as my wife is from the area. I wouldn't really recommend Portland as a Honeymoon spot, but it's a great place for a few day's visit, esp. if you're planning a longer visit to somewhere more remote on the Maine Coast.

If it wasn't for the brutal winters, Portland Maine would be an ideal place to live, IMO.

cincinnati chili
03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
My wife and I went to Sandals at Dunn's River in Jamaica. It was nice -- we swam, drank, snorkled, drank, ate, drank, and swam. We stayed for 5 days and had a great time.

While we didn't do "Sandals" (couldn't afford it), I agree with your advice for the Carribean all-inclusives.

I've heard nothing but good things about Sandals and Club Med, so if you can afford it, I'd go that route.

If you can't, there are a lot of good blogs about good and bad resorts in the Carribean. Some are more affordable.

Here's one of those blogs: http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/

The wife and I went to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic for our Honeymoon, and it was great. (We went to the Natura Park resort for 7 days). Better beaches than anywhere I've ever been, other than Bermuda (and Bermuda water is too cold to swim in during the winter). Friendly staff. Decent food. Pina coladas kept coming.

Yachtzee
03-29-2006, 12:16 AM

Hostels are cheap hotel-like accommodations usually oriented to those who are college-aged (some won't let you stay if you are over the age of 25 or something like that). They may require a membership card as well. But other hostels are fairly loose on their requirements (no age limit, no membership card required). Other alternatives include Pensions (pronounced "pen-see-OHN"), which can range from a room in someone's apartment to a nice bed and breakfast-type arrangement. Really they are kind of a mixed bag, but still cheaper than hotels. Often the best option is to get a good travel guide geared toward budget travellers. They will give you ideas as to where to stay in each city.

Here's another idea for getting to Europe. My wife and I went to Crete for our honeymoon. We booked cheap airfare to England, then booked a trip to an all-inclusive resort on Crete through an English travel agency. The total ended up costing us less than 1/2 as much as the plane tickets to Athens alone would have cost us from the US.

My brother went the more economical route. He and his bride travelled to various National Parks out west (Crater Lake, Mt. Lassen, Yosemite, Sequoia, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon) and busted out the camping gear.

The other ideas that have been mentioned are all great ones, particularly Portland, ME, Montreal, San Francisco, Pacific Northwest.