PDA

View Full Version : Merged: What about Ryan Shealy?

TOBTTReds
03-27-2006, 11:34 AM
I know he has been discussed a bit earlier, but what is his status?

Will he be traded or released?

If we don't go after him, I would not be shocked (only bc we are the Reds) but would be fools to not go after him. He is going to be a stud. I know he's not the youngest player, but still worth a shot i think.

pedro
03-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Oh, he won't be released. Look up his stats. He is a stud.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/ryan-shealy.shtml

From what I've read they were goign to convert him to the OF but that failed. Since Helton is blocking him and has a virtually untradeable contract Sheely will likley be traded.

TOBTTReds
03-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah I'm answering my own question here.

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Unfortunately for Ryan Shealy and the Colorado Rockies, the power-hitting prospect has continued to make news this spring by not playing.
Prior to this season, Shealy's chances of playing with the Rockies were hindered by the presence of star first baseman Todd Helton. Shealy and the Rockies tried to circumvent that roadblock with a switch to right field, but that came to a halt when Shealy was shut down because of a sore right elbow.

Now the conclusion the Rockies wanted to avoid is growing as a possible solution. General manager Dan O'Dowd acknowledged on Wednesday that a trade could be explored once Shealy proves healthy and returns to action. The club will not revisit Shealy in the outfield, so unless Helton suffers a serious injury, it looks as if Shealy's future is elsewhere.

"I think right now, we're trying to get him healthy," O'Dowd said. "It's easy to speculate that we'll look at doing something with Ryan at some point in time, but not any point in the near future."

A key for the Rockies should they move Shealy is getting quality players in return. After a run of dealing useful prospects (infielder Chone Figgins, catcher Josh Bard, outfielder Jody Gerut and shortstop Juan Uribe) and getting little in return, the Rockies have been careful with their products the last couple of years.

"You make trades to try to get value for value," O'Dowd said. "That's why we're in no rush to try to do anything."

TOBTTReds
03-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Oh, he won't be released. Look up his stats. He is a stud.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/ryan-shealy.shtml

From what I've read they were goign to convert him to the OF but that failed. Since Helton is blocking him and has a virtually untradeable contract Sheely will likley be traded.

I saw on another thread that he might be available, so I thought they meant he would have to clear waivers to go to AAA bc he will be hurt to start the season. He is #8 on the BA prospect list for the Rockies.

DoogMinAmo
03-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Kearns for Shealy and a prospect?

TOBTTReds
03-27-2006, 08:24 PM
In a second I would do that. I have very little faith in Kearns's success.

Ohioballplayer
03-27-2006, 10:44 PM
This guy could be great, I know about the Coors number adjustment, any taker?

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_3630065

flyer85
03-27-2006, 10:46 PM
sounds like the Rocks aren't interested in dealing him at this time.

TC81190
03-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Everyone, just search his name on this board and you;ll find a million takers. ;)