PDA

View Full Version : Anyone actually believe this one?

Buckeye33
03-27-2006, 01:50 PM
This came from rotoworld.com. It was in the Reds team report.

"It looks like Edwin Encarnacion will hit fifth against right-handers and maybe fourth against lefties. 90-100 RBI would be within reach if he stays in the heart of the lineup all season long."

Where the hell did this come from??

BRM
03-27-2006, 01:53 PM
He's been hitting in the middle of the order quite a bit this spring. That's probably where they came up with that conclusion. I think he'll be hitting 6-8 personally.

flyer85
03-27-2006, 01:56 PM
It all depends on how he does. Against Liriano on Saturday Narron had him batting 4th between Jr and Dunn.

Heath
03-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Having him in the opening day wasn't even sure a month ago.

I'm thrilled wherever he's hitting. Just as long as the "veteran precense" muck stays where it belongs on the bench.

redsfan30
03-27-2006, 02:32 PM
I trust Encarnacion to break up Junior and Dunn right now more than I do Austin Kearns.

RedsManRick
03-27-2006, 02:51 PM
When you look at our lineup and the "need" to split Junior and Dunn against lefties, I really think this makes sense. At this point, do you have more confidence in Kearns or Encarnacion?

I just wish Narron would consider Lopez leading off followed by Kearns at the top the of the order rather than giving Womack those ab's when he starts.

acredsfan
03-27-2006, 02:54 PM
He's been hitting in the middle of the order quite a bit this spring. That's probably where they came up with that conclusion. I think he'll be hitting 6-8 personally.Well, if you can believe what Narron said during pregame yesterday, he's going to be in the heart of the lineup all year... Narron said "8th is a tough place for a young player to break through." or something to that effect. I can't wait to see what they guy can do, he looks like another allstar on the rise. We have been so fortunate to watch Dunn, Felipe, and now EdE. Quite possibly 3 of the brightest young stars in the game. If Lopez and Edwin continue what they are doing that is.

KronoRed
03-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Why do we need to break up the lefties? I don't agree with it at all, the other team will just leave a shutdown lefty in to pitch around the right in between, good way to bury one of the 2 best players on the team.

Like that EE has earned respect before only given to solid vets :thumbup:

Dan
03-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Seems to me that against RH pitchers you'd want to see:

EE
Griff
Dunn

This would obviously protect him, as pitchers would come after him to try to get him out. If Freel or Lopez was on in front of him, both could easily score on a double.

Griff/EE/Dunn makes more sense against LH so that things are more balanced, while EE still has some protection in Dunn.

Just a thought.

TOBTTReds
03-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Either spot he is going to get pitches he can rip, this is going to be a big breakout year.

RedsManRick
03-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Why do we need to break up the lefties? I don't agree with it at all, the other team will just leave a shutdown lefty in to pitch around the right in between, good way to bury one of the 2 best players on the team.

Like that EE has earned respect before only given to solid vets :thumbup:

Three year splits:
Dunn
vR .259/.398/.565
vL .220/.339/.462

Griffey
vR .293/.378/.588
vL .247/.337/.494

and for what it's worth -- sample size and all that jazz:
Kearns
vR .247/.329/.471
vL .240/.369/.371

Encarnacion
vR .246/.338/.477
vL .226/.294/.418

Dunn has perhaps the most pronounced split -- you'll notice that Dunn versus lefties is pretty much the same as Kearns/Encarnacion versus righties. That said, you can reasonably expect both of those guys to improve this year, whereas Dunn is probably less likely to make big strides.

I think a reasonable argument can be made to bat Dunn 5th versus lefties - especially in light of the new studies which show that by and large, managers are doing more harm than good by stacking the top of the lineup (the runs you gain in the first inning are less than the runs you lose in the 2nd).

Heath
03-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Three year splits:
Dunn
vR .259/.398/.565
vL .220/.339/.462

Griffey
vR .293/.378/.588
vL .247/.337/.494

and for what it's worth -- sample size and all that jazz:
Kearns
vR .247/.329/.471
vL .240/.369/.371

Encarnacion
vR .246/.338/.477
vL .226/.294/.418

Dunn has perhaps the most pronounced split -- you'll notice that Dunn versus lefties is pretty much the same as Kearns/Encarnacion versus righties. That said, you can reasonably expect both of those guys to improve this year, whereas Dunn is probably less likely to make big strides.

I think a reasonable argument can be made to bat Dunn 5th versus lefties - especially in light of the new studies which show that by and large, managers are doing more harm than good by stacking the top of the lineup (the runs you gain in the first inning are less than the runs you lose in the 2nd).

Well, with Narron's thoughts in mind, we are going to be starting each inning our "regular" lead-off hitting sitting the bench after his 'productive' out.

We might want to look at the above named individuals to look at their 2-out hitting averages.

RedsManRick
03-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Assuming Womack is playing, my lineup would look like:

vR
Lopez
Kearns
Griffey
Dunn
Encarnacion
Valentin
Hatteberg
Womack

Versus lefties you flip Encarnacion and Dunn and play LaRue over Valentin (LaRue would also start some games versus righties).

Heath
03-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Assuming Womack is playing, my lineup would look like:

vR
Lopez
Kearns
Griffey
Dunn
Encarnacion
Valentin
Hatteberg
Womack

Versus lefties you flip Encarnacion and Dunn and play LaRue over Valentin (LaRue would also start some games versus righties).

In contrast to Narron's which will be ...

Womack
Lopez
Jr.
Encarnacion
Dunn
Kearns
Hatteburg
Catcher of the Day

Compare and contrast. Then cry.

BRM
03-27-2006, 06:58 PM

Womack
Lopez
Jr.
Encarnacion
Dunn
Kearns
Hatteburg
Catcher of the Day

That makes me want to hurl...

RedsManRick
03-27-2006, 07:04 PM

Womack
Lopez
Jr.
Encarnacion
Dunn
Kearns
Hatteburg
Catcher of the Day

Actually, if today's game is any indication, it looks like you'll get Hatteberg over Kearns.......

TeamBoone
03-27-2006, 08:29 PM
If EE bats between Jr and Dunn, he's getting one heck of a lot of protection... he'd better have a break out year in that spot!

Per the usual, Dunn will have next to no protection, unless Austin has a very successful year... if that happens, then Austin will have to do it with no protection.

I know, I know... someone has to be unprotected I guess.

Heath
03-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Did anyone catch the batting order this evening with the past year's OPS? You know who finished last.

Cyclone792
03-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Did anyone catch the batting order this evening with the past year's OPS? You know who finished last.

I certainly saw it. Chris Welsh has some balls to be able to talk about Womack's 2005 OPS live on the air while maintaining a straight face.

I just wouldn't be able to do it.

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Who cares about OPS? he "knows how to play the game"

;)

KearnsyEars
03-28-2006, 10:12 AM
as long as Dunn hits cleanup or three hole every game

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Sadly Narron strikes me as a "break up the leftie" guy, no matter what Dunn will hit 5th and maybe even lower, only when JR is resting will he hit higher.