PDA

View Full Version : Roberto, Si!

Guacarock
03-28-2006, 05:06 AM
Per Rotoworld early Tuesday morning:

Roberto Petagine doubled twice and drove in three runs as the Mariners beat the Rangers 10-9 on Monday night.
We're pretty sure the extra offense would more than make up for the defensive downgrade from using Ichiro Suzuki in center, Carl Everett in right and Petagine at DH. We're even more sure that simply going with Petagine over Everett at DH would put additional runs on the board. But neither scenario is going to happen. Petagine, who is batting .436/.511/.641 in 39 AB this spring, might find himself a free agent again this weekend. Mar. 28 - 12:38 am et

Why not give the former Red a shot at either wrestling 1B away from Hatteberg or serving as our left-handed muscle off the bench for the opening of the season? What have we got to lose, seeing as how we can pick him up without having to sacrifice any of our trading chips to acquire him?

With Larue 's injury, Valentin will be catching and unavailable to provide power off the bench. Wise is temporarily out of the picture, too, after jamming his ankle. Sorry, but McCracken, for all his versatility, can't touch Petagine's prowess on offense. And why do we need to carry a slap-hitting CF backup when we've already got Freel on the roster and beaucoup OF retreads being signed, assigned and reassigned for Louisville slugging?

It's probably not in Krivsky's makeup to give Petagine a shot. After all, he's not a plus player on defense. And he's also a relic of the Bowden era, which Krivsky is hellbent to erase, as surely as some Soviet commissar wiping out all vestiges of some past disgraced regime.

But if it was my call, I'd be on the horn with Petagine this weekend. With his power, his ability to hit for high averages and his being a lefty suited to take advantage of our homepark dimensions, he seems like an ideal option to shore up our anemic bench, even if only on the fly for a month or two.

Wouldn't it be sweet if we got Petagine and he hit .436 in April with 15 or more RBI? Would sure relieve the sting from the Wily Mo trade. Instead of us crying in our beer about losing another one to DiTech, we could crow over producing the better Cinderella story, and polishing off the more brilliant diamond in the rough, a Red Sox cast-off no less.

savafan
03-28-2006, 01:00 PM
I agree 100%. I see where he is listed as NA in the Yahoo fantasy league, so I went looking to see if he'd been released, but I haven't found anything yet.

IMO, if you can get Petagine for nothing, or for cheap, do it.

flyer85
03-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately for Roberto the ship sailed long ago. He seems destined to be remember as a great AAA hitter who never got a chance at the big league level.

Guacarock
03-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Petagine is 34, Hatteberg is 36.

Petagine is hitting .436/.511/.641 in 39 at bats this spring and Hatteberg .295/.352/.432 in 44 at bats.

Obviously, neither is a long-term solution at first base or as our lefty bopper off the bench.

But as long as we're going to be tapping a greybeard for some short-term duty, which greybeard do you want? Petagine or Hatteberg? Or why not enlist both of them, and just chuck McCracken, seing as how Freel can ably fill in at LF and CF, as well as steal a base or two? It's not exactly like McCracken is a spring chicken, either.

flyer85
03-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Petagine is 34, Hatteberg is 36.

Petagine is hitting .436/.511/.641 in 39 at bats this spring and Hatteberg .295/.352/.432 in 44 at bats.

Obviously, neither is a long-term solution at first base or as our lefty bopper off the bench.

But as long as we're going to be tapping a greybeard for some short-term duty, which greybeard do you want? Petagine or Hatteberg? Or why not enlist both of them, and just chuck McCracken, seing as how Freel can ably fill in at LF and CF, as well as steal a base or two? It's not exactly like McCracken is a spring chicken, either.I would agree but it just doesn't seem Petagine will ever be given a chance.

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 02:41 PM
They just don't want the PBP guys to have to say the name