PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Devil Rays to Possibly Change Nickname

macro
03-28-2006, 02:11 PM
A couple of things jumped out at me from this article from the St Petersburg Times. One was that I couldn't believe that next year will mark this franchise's tenth anniversary. They still seem like a new team to me. The other was that if they drop the "Devil" only, they'll be the Tampa Bay Rays. Surely they won't do that. Regardless, it looks like they're hoping to shed the image they've established as a losing organization. It will take more than new duds and a new name to accomplish it, however.

Tampa Bay Devils Rays to Possibly Change Nickname

Name could be big change

By MARC TOPKIN, Times Staff Writer

ST. PETERSBURG - The team on the field might not reflect it, but the Devil Rays organization is undergoing significant change.

With a fresh approach and attitude under the new ownership and management, there are millions being spent to upgrade the facility and improve the fan experience. There are creative executives being hired, and holdover ones being empowered. There are all kinds of innovative concepts (clean restrooms! a decent sound system!) floating around along with new ideas, such as plans for a huge touch tank of live rays on the right-centerfield patio.

Bigger news might be coming.

Top officials are privately talking about ideas that would change the entire look and identity of the team for the 2007 season - from the name to the colors to the logos to the uniforms.

At the least, it seems likely the word "Devil" will be dropped, as it already is in some official team references. Then a decision has to be made whether to continue associating Rays with the sea creatures or to connect with the sun. Or there could be a new name, such as the Tampa Bay Tarpons.

The name issue likely will drive the others, and it reasons that if one is changed they all will be, and done neatly to commemorate what will be marketed as the 10th anniversary season.

Discussions are very much preliminary. Concepts have to be designed. Focus groups need to be convened. MLB officials have to be consulted. Procedures must be followed, including a March 31 deadline to notify MLB of a possible change and details by May 31. Decisions have to be made.

The team on the field in 2007 is expected to be considerably better. From the sound of the whispers, it will look considerably different too.

pedro
03-28-2006, 02:13 PM
I think they should call themselves the rayjays.

max venable
03-28-2006, 02:18 PM
If you ask me, I think their lineup has HUGE potential. In fact, in my fantasy league, there were way more D-Rays drafted than Reds.

Outfield: Gomes, Baldelli, and Crawford, Hollins

Infield: Cantu, Huff, Lugo, Burroughs

I think they could be pretty darn good...at least offensively.

klw
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
No if only they could also get the Blue Jays to change their uniform so toronto doesn't look like Tampa anymore.

smith288
03-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Tampa Bay Tampons
Tampa Bay Gays
Tampa Bay Gay Bays

They need a new marketing firm...

KronoRed
03-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Bandits

They won.

cumberlandreds
03-28-2006, 02:58 PM
I always thought Sting Rays would have been a good nickname. Nobody knows what a devil ray is?:dunno:

Chip R
03-28-2006, 02:58 PM
How about the Cellar Dwellers?

UKFlounder
03-28-2006, 03:19 PM
The Tampa BayWatches

Just think of the marketing possibilities in Germany with Hasselhoff involved :cool:

Johnny Footstool
03-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Or there could be a new name, such as the Tampa Bay Tarpons.

Hilarious!

Joseph
03-28-2006, 05:33 PM
I think they need to start the look completely from scratch. Don't just be the 'Rays' cause that sounds silly.

WVRed
03-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Tampa Bay Gays

If I could get Photoshop to work, id love to make a logo for this.

MartyFan
03-28-2006, 06:11 PM
This team is only a few arms away from being more than interesting in their division...and yes, I think if they had a couple of arms on their team now they could contend neck and neck with the BoSox and Yankees.

DropDocK
03-29-2006, 08:34 AM
That's nice. Let me know when the franchise folds.

minus5
03-29-2006, 10:16 AM
I think they should call themselves the rayjays.

OoooH....He could be the mascot

But ya doesn't has ta call him Johnson

macro
03-29-2006, 11:49 AM
That's nice. Let me know when the franchise folds.

Huh? What's that mean?

marcshoe
03-29-2006, 11:52 AM
To begin with, I think they should drop the "s" at the end of Devil. Devils Rays just sounds silly. ;)

maniem
03-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Tampa Bay Gays

Wouldn't that make San Francisco jealous?

westofyou
03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Wouldn't that make San Francisco jealous?
Wow.. that must have taken a whole 10 seconds to come up with.

maniem
03-29-2006, 04:19 PM

Sorry about that woy...I know it was a pretty lame joke, but i just couldn't resist...

smith288
03-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Technically, it could be said he took 26 hours to come up with it since the time I originally made the joke...

max venable
03-29-2006, 04:50 PM
I vote for: The Tampa Bay Octopuses

westofyou
03-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Sorry about that woy...I know it was a pretty lame joke, but i just couldn't resist...Nah... I've come to expect it.

I have this buddy, shy, shy, shy man.. he lives in San Francisco and grew up in Cincinnati. He's not gay, but boy because he's single every trip home is a barrage of questions from his brothers friends, other family members etc.... about... Well.... is he?

Drives him crazy.

Big Klu
03-29-2006, 09:18 PM

Wouldn't Tampa Bay Octopi actually be correct?

alex trevino
03-29-2006, 10:41 PM
This team is only a few arms away from being more than interesting in their division....

couldn't this be said of every team in baseball?

max venable
03-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Wouldn't Tampa Bay Octopi actually be correct?
either is acceptable.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=octopus

macro
04-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Here's an update to the story from today's St Petersburg Times:

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/04/06/Rays/Devil_Rays_may_play_n.shtml

Devil Rays may play name game
The Devil Rays have until May 31 to pick a new name to use starting next season. What will it be?
CHRIS TISCH, CARRIE WEIMAR and LOUIS HAU
Published April 6, 2006

ST. PETERSBURG - The Tampa Bay Devil Rays have told Major League Baseball they are considering a name change.

So what should it be?

The Tarpons? That would pay homage to the former Tampa minor league team, named after the silvery fish that swims in local waters.

The Saints? That would recall the St. Petersburg minor league team from the early and mid-1900s.

Or the just plain Rays? The double entendre would honor the stingrays that glide off our beaches as well as the area's famous sunshine, while the shortened name would avoid bedeviling some Christians.

"If it was up to me I would probably drop the devil," said St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Baker. "But it's up to them and I'm going to support the team no matter what."

If the Devil Rays adopt a new name, it will mark the first time a Major League Baseball team changed its name without moving to another city since the Houston Colt .45s became the Astros in 1965. That change was made to honor Houston's space program.

Devil Rays president Matt Silverman said the team met a March 31 deadline to inform Major League Baseball it was considering the change. The Devil Rays have until May 31 to commit to a name change, which would take effect next season. After the home opener next week, the team will begin studying a potential name change and begin asking fans for ideas.

"Our minds are open to many possibilities," Silverman said. "We'll go through an exhaustive study of it and also engage our fans in the process before we make any final decisions."

Some St. Petersburg city officials also have urged the team to dump the Tampa Bay in the name in favor of St. Petersburg.

"St. Pete anything," said City Council Chairman Bill Foster. "I just think it's time to recognize where the team plays and the commitment of the community that built the stadium."

But it's what comes after "Tampa Bay" that has some fans annoyed. Some have questioned naming the team for a marine animal not widely known in these waters. Others disliked the devil reference and predicted God would doom the team because of it.

After eight years of losing, one must wonder if they were right.

"There are some that don't have a positive reaction to the word devil," Silverman said. "There are some who don't have a positive reaction to a devil ray. What is a devil ray? If we make a change, it will be something that will be more accessible and appeal to everyone . . . or at least not drive people away."

Of course, there are worse possible ways to reflect the area's character: The Snowbirds? The Blue Hairs? The Red Tide? The Strip Malls?

Don't think any of those names are possible? Well, consider some team names from years ago.

The Atlanta Braves, when they were in Boston, were called the Beaneaters. The Chicago Cubs at one point were called the Orphans. The Brooklyn Dodgers were once known as the Superbas and the Bridegrooms.

And the baseball team most steeped in history and tradition, the New York Yankees, once were the New York Highlanders, because their stadium was on a hill.

Baseball historian John Thorn said teams often changed names in the early 1900s. Teams initially were called simply the New Yorks or the Bostons, but sportswriters began giving them catchy names that could be shortened to fit in headlines.

Thus the Cubs. The Yanks. The Sox.

"Desperate scribes and headline writers were trying to save character counts," Thorn said.

The name-switching slowed down around 1920.

"They acquire a kind of patina with age," Thorn said.

Soon, no one dreamed of changing names like Yankees, Red Sox or Cubs. Teams began to trademark and market the names.

"Because of all the marketing, it's getting more cemented and isn't as fluid as it was," said John Odell, curator of history and research at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. "There is a feeling that once you have your name and nickname, then that is a commodity that may be tough to generate again."

The Devil Rays may be the exception. The team is trying to turn its back on eight years of losing since it entered the league as an expansion team in 1998.

"It's probably a good idea in this case, primarily because there hasn't been effective branding of that name," said Andrew Zimbalist, a sports economist at Smith College in Northampton, Mass. "Probably within baseball, there's a stronger case for the Devil Rays to change their name than for any other team."

However, the Boston Braves tried it in 1936. To generate excitement, they called themselves the Bees; the stadium became the Beehive.

"The result was very predictable: Nothing," Thorn said. "They went back to the Braves."

Thorn said he thinks a name change for the Devil Rays also could backfire.

"It could only inject ridicule and scorn because it's a substitute for injecting talent," he said. "If you want to inject talent and then change the name, great."

Foster thinks otherwise.

"They're an 8-year-old team and they're kind of starting over," said Foster, a big Devil Rays fan. "I'm okay with that. We are all enthused at what we've seen so far with the "Under construction' banner. And they needed to do that. They needed to gain the respect of the community and the baseball community."

Sports marketing experts agree.

"Now that you have a new owner and effectively a whole new philosophy behind the team, this could be a way to adopt a new identity," said Marc Ganis, president of SportsCorp Ltd., a sports business consulting firm in Chicago.

While getting league permission for a name change is a pretty straightforward process, rolling out the new name isn't quite so simple, he said.

"You have uniforms, you have licensing partners," Ganis said. "It takes a good year and a half or so to implement something like that."

KronoRed
04-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Saints? Sure hasn't worked out for the football team :help:

Heath
04-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Saints? Sure hasn't worked out for the football team :help:

Like the Tampa Bay Kronos would be better... :rolleyes: :D

How about the Tampa Bay Colt .45's? :D

Anyway - just drop the Devil and keep the Rays. Saves me another $75 not to spend on another jersey.

KronoRed
04-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Kronos would RAWK as a name.

BRM
04-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Anyway - just drop the Devil and keep the Rays. Saves me another $75 not to spend on another jersey.

That's exactly why it won't happen. :)

M2
04-06-2006, 05:18 PM
When your local fanbase is apparently too idiotic to distinguish between satanism and aquatic life, then it doesn't really matter what you call your team.

How about they just go for the Tampa Bay Lowest Common Denominators?

Or how about they drop the Tampa Bay part and just call themselves the Politically Correct, Morally Upright Traveling Baseball Circus? I'm sure that'll pack 'em in.

KronoRed
04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
How bout St.Pete since that's where they play

Chip R
04-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Kronos would RAWK as a name.

What would their mascot be, someone sitting at a computer posting on a message board? ;)

KronoRed
04-06-2006, 05:26 PM
A Badger of course.

RBA
04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
"Tampa Bay Juicers" in memory of Jose Canseco? Has the tie in to Orange Juice too.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-06-2006, 06:11 PM
The sad thing is, that I'd trade all the players in their organization for ours. I would miss Dunn, Jr, and Lopez, but I'd do it.

tripleaaaron
04-06-2006, 09:07 PM
What they need is a deal with like a denture company or billy graham, maybe that would draw some fans in florida, a "fresh" start, just call them The billy graham experience! or Bingo Night!

tripleaaaron
04-06-2006, 09:08 PM
but yes I would take almost their entire system, over our entire system, sad but true.

macro
04-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Not sure if we should read anything into this, but the Devil Rays will be wearing the uniforms of the 1975 Tampa Tarpons in their June 24 game against the Atlanta Braves.

You do remember when this same exact franchise was named the Tampa Tarpons back in 1975, don't you?

:laugh:

Now the question that has to be asked is, which team would win if the 1975 Tampa Tarpons played one of the recent Devil Rays teams head-to-head?

http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/tb/images/promo/y2006/tarponjerseys_250x260.gif

Heath
04-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Now the question that has to be asked is, which team would win if the 1975 Tampa Tarpons played one of the recent Devil Rays teams head-to-head?

Those pesky 1975 Tampa Tarpons - Florida State League - Reds Farm Club.

So, single A players in the Farm System then MIGHT have been players like Steve Henderson, Bruce Berenyi, Mario Soto, Paul Moskau, Tom Hume, Dan Norman, Dan Dumoulin, Harry Spilman, Mike LaCoss, Ron Oester, etc.

I think I'd take the Rays on a Jonny Gomes grand-slam at the last at-bat.

;)

savafan
02-09-2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/08/Rays/Rays_seem_ready_to_du.shtml

By MARC TOPKIN
Published February 8, 2007

TAMPA - When the Devil Rays unveil new logos, colors and uniforms for the 2008 season, they likely still will be known by their old name.

Or at least their old last name.

After considering a complete change of identity to mark the end of their first decade, team officials apparently will instead drop the Devil and keep the Rays.

"We haven't made a final decision, but we are leaning toward the direction of a change in uniform, a change of colors, a change in logo and perhaps a slight modification of the name," team president Matt Silverman said. "But it's unlikely we will have a dramatic change in the name."

That decision represents something of a compromise, allowing the team to maintain what brand identity it has and connections, such as with the new rays tank while exorcising the devilish connotation that some find objectionable.

"We've integrated fan sentiments, results from focus groups and surveys into this," Silverman said.

The new color scheme, expected to be heavy on blue, perhaps with yellow accompaniments, isn't likely to be unveiled until after this season.

Earlier Wednesday, Silverman told the sold-out crowd of 400 at the Tampa Chamber of Commerce luncheon that principal owner Stuart Sternberg is very much committed to winning but they will stick to a plan that requires time and patience for young players to mature. As a result, they made only a few offseason acquisitions and have a projected major-league low opening-day payroll of $24-million.

"We lost 101 games last season and that is not acceptable," Silverman said. "We are all anxious to have a winning team. ... No one wants to succeed more than Stuart Sternberg. Unfortunately, there really isn't a quick fix for major-league baseball teams. ...

"We need to have patience to make the right decisions, to make the right investments that are going to benefit this organization and this community for years to come."

Also:

- Manager Joe Maddon seemed to answer one of the biggest questions of spring training by saying new Japanese infielder Akinori Iwamura will "most likely" play third base.

There had been talk of moving Iwamura to second, which would have displaced Jorge Cantu. With Iwamura at third, Ty Wigginton seems likely to play first and B.J. Upton will have to compete for a utility job. Camp opens Feb. 17.

- The Rays released a TV schedule that features a franchise-most 146 games - 79 on Fox Sports Net cable, 67 over-the-air on ION Television (formerly Pax). Joe Magrane and Dewayne Staats return in the booth, with Todd Kalas again part of the crew.

As part of their regionalization efforts, the Rays increased the games available on over-the-air TV in Orlando from 25 to 67.

- New special adviser Fred McGriff was the most popular attraction at the Hyatt Regency luncheon, and the retired slugger made a pitch to fans in his Tampa hometown. "I get tired of driving around town and seeing 'Go Yankees,' " McGriff said. "We've got to change that."

- Iwamura will make his first public appearance as a Ray on today's St. Petersburg caravan, with stops including the 11:30 a.m. St. Petersburg/Cleawater chamber luncheon at Tropicana Field and a 6 p.m. autograph session at BayWalk.

George Anderson
02-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Wow...I didnt realize Tampa Bay has been in the MLB for a decade now. What an amazing, memorable decade for that franchise!!

savafan
02-09-2007, 01:45 PM
WOW....I didnt realize Tampa Bay has been in the MLB for a decade now. What an amazing memorable decade for that franchise!!!:D

I think it is only memorable in that they have actually outlived the Seattle Pilots.

Heath
02-09-2007, 01:46 PM
sava - I'm totally disappointed in you. You didn't use Marc Lancaster's column!

:D

Yachtzee
02-09-2007, 01:53 PM
I find the whole "Devil Rays" business just weird. Why should people find that name objectionable? North Carolina is in the heart of the Bible Belt and no one seems to have a problem with "Blue Devils" or "Demon Deacons." I thought the "Rays" logo was pretty lame, but I actually liked the shade of green they switched to after dumping the rainbow effect. Besides, isn't Tampa, along with Panama City, a sort of "sin city" of the FL Gulf Coast? And what's more offensive, a marine animal that by most accounts is docile and unlikely to attack unless provoked, or men who made piracy, murder and rape not only their profession but their lifestyle?

If they're going to change their name at all, I think they should go with a name that reflects the baseball heritage of the city rather than a half-hearted attempt to please some old "blue-hairs" who get their knickers in a bunch over the slightest provocation. Fans are staying away not because of the "devil" in the name, but the "bedeviling" play on the field.

Always Red
02-09-2007, 02:10 PM
I never knew what a Devil Ray was.

I've been to Florida many times, and seen stingrays, and rays, but never did see a Devil Ray. I always wondered why they were named such? BTW, I never made the association of the name "Devil Ray" with evil, or Satan. I just never could figure out what a Devil Ray was.

http://www.gma.org/fogm/Manta_birostris.htm

As it turns out, a devil ray is the largest of the ray family (makes sense to me now!), and is found particularly in the Bermuda area. So much for my ignorance!

What the (Devil) Rays really need is a new ballpark!

cacollinsmba
02-09-2007, 02:40 PM
I lived in Tampa for the past year and a half and was told by an employee of the front office that it will simply be shortened to "Rays".

cacollinsmba
02-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Like the Tampa Bay Kronos would be better... :rolleyes: :D

How about the Tampa Bay Colt .45's? :D

I was told it will be shortened to "Rays" - but with a color scheme change. So you'll just have to repaint your jersey. :)

M2
02-09-2007, 02:49 PM
How about they call themselve The Tampa Bay Original Famous Rays and then they can associate with various New York pizza parlors. They could even have a cool pizza slice mascot that kids could chase around the park and try to eat.

Yachtzee
02-09-2007, 03:00 PM
The Tampa Bay East Bay Rays

http://www.guitarplayer.com/Pictures/web/q/d/p/EBR_MikeVinikour.jpg

RANDY IN INDY
02-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Tarpons. I like that better.

deltachi8
02-09-2007, 03:12 PM
the Tampa You Can Call Me Rays

M2
02-09-2007, 03:14 PM

And "Moral Majority" could be the team anthem!

Either that or "Goons of Hazard"

cacollinsmba
02-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Too bad they're on the West side of the Bay. :D

RichRed
02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
What the (Devil) Rays really need is a new ballpark!

Tampa Bay Devil Raze, as in what they should do to their stadium?

Yachtzee
02-09-2007, 03:34 PM
And "Moral Majority" could be the team anthem!

Either that or "Goons of Hazard"

I'm still waiting for an interpid soul to audition for American Idol with "Pull My Strings."

M2
02-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm still waiting for an interpid soul to audition for American Idol with "Pull My Strings."

I'm sure it's happened and they haven't aired it. I'd like to see someone play it at the Grammys. Check that, I'd like to watch the clip of someone playing it at the Grammys on YouTube.

Newman4
02-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Tampa Bay Gays

Opening Day 2008: John Amechi throws out the first pitch to Mike
Piazza :evil:

Newman4
02-09-2007, 03:52 PM

So I'm assuming for short they would just be the pusses? Kinda fitting. :D

redsgabp
02-09-2007, 06:57 PM
well they could look to cincinnati for an answer.

cincinnati use to have 2 mlb teams.

of course the cincinnati reds
and the cincinnati Porkers

so tampa bay could steal the name porkers from us.

the TAMPA BAY PORKERS anyone? :beerme:

here is some information for you reds fans who knew nothing of the porkers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Porkers

GO REDS!

Blimpie
02-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Tampa Bay Senseless Killers of Wildlife Advocates...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42045000/jpg/_42045530_irwin_ap203.jpg

I know, it does not exactly "roll off the tongue" does it?

Newman4
02-10-2007, 10:57 AM
well they could look to cincinnati for an answer.

cincinnati use to have 2 mlb teams.

of course the cincinnati reds
and the cincinnati Porkers

so tampa bay could steal the name porkers from us.

the TAMPA BAY PORKERS anyone? :beerme:

here is some information for you reds fans who knew nothing of the porkers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Porkers

GO REDS!

Sounds like something Larry Flynt came up with.

thatcoolguy_22
02-10-2007, 11:58 AM

brilliant

Dom Heffner
02-10-2007, 12:13 PM
"We've integrated fan sentiments, results from focus groups and surveys into this," Silverman said.

These people are in the minority down here. Even the right-leaning talk shows that fill the airwaves make fun of them. I can't believe they are going to succumb to the pressure.

There are no Devil Rays in Tampa Bay to my knowledge. The poster who said they are found in Bermuda is correct, I believe.

It just goes to show that when things go really wrong for a really long time people will come up with any reason for losing.

I like to harken back to the days when ownership thought it would be a good idea to sign Vinny Castilla outside of Colorado, or Jose Canseco, or Greg Vaughn, all about 5 years past their prime.

It showed they had no idea what they were doing. Especially Castilla.

It was almost as bad as the Reds signing Dante Bichette.

One sometimes gets the feeling that GMs sit in their office with baseball cards flipped over, talking to a yes man assitant: "That guy had 13 wins last year, let's sign him. Ooh- and here's an all-star - wait, wait, I found an all-star game MVP!!!!"

corkedbat
02-10-2007, 12:16 PM
I kinda like Satan's lPlaything's, but it doesn't flow right. How about the Black Mass?...no, no better still, in honor of their Southern roots...The Beelzebubbas!

:D

savafan
02-10-2007, 03:06 PM

Dear lord, it's so wrong...but I can't stop laughing at this...

BEETTLEBUG
02-10-2007, 05:52 PM
What about the OLD Reds Single A team name TAMPA TARPONS

savafan
02-10-2007, 06:05 PM
What about the OLD Reds Single A team name TAMPA TARPONS

Yeah, I'd never get tired of the tampon jokes. ;)

Handofdeath
02-10-2007, 07:35 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/08/Rays/Rays_seem_ready_to_du.shtml

By MARC TOPKIN
Published February 8, 2007

TAMPA - When the Devil Rays unveil new logos, colors and uniforms for the 2008 season, they likely still will be known by their old name.

Or at least their old last name.

After considering a complete change of identity to mark the end of their first decade, team officials apparently will instead drop the Devil and keep the Rays.

"We haven't made a final decision, but we are leaning toward the direction of a change in uniform, a change of colors, a change in logo and perhaps a slight modification of the name," team president Matt Silverman said. "But it's unlikely we will have a dramatic change in the name."

That decision represents something of a compromise, allowing the team to maintain what brand identity it has and connections, such as with the new rays tank while exorcising the devilish connotation that some find objectionable.

The new color scheme, expected to be heavy on blue, perhaps with yellow accompaniments, isn't likely to be unveiled until after this season.

Earlier Wednesday, Silverman told the sold-out crowd of 400 at the Tampa Chamber of Commerce luncheon that principal owner Stuart Sternberg is very much committed to winning but they will stick to a plan that requires time and patience for young players to mature. As a result, they made only a few offseason acquisitions and have a projected major-league low opening-day payroll of $24-million.

"We lost 101 games last season and that is not acceptable," Silverman said. "We are all anxious to have a winning team. ... No one wants to succeed more than Stuart Sternberg. Unfortunately, there really isn't a quick fix for major-league baseball teams. ...

"We need to have patience to make the right decisions, to make the right investments that are going to benefit this organization and this community for years to come."

Also:

- Manager Joe Maddon seemed to answer one of the biggest questions of spring training by saying new Japanese infielder Akinori Iwamura will "most likely" play third base.

There had been talk of moving Iwamura to second, which would have displaced Jorge Cantu. With Iwamura at third, Ty Wigginton seems likely to play first and B.J. Upton will have to compete for a utility job. Camp opens Feb. 17.

- The Rays released a TV schedule that features a franchise-most 146 games - 79 on Fox Sports Net cable, 67 over-the-air on ION Television (formerly Pax). Joe Magrane and Dewayne Staats return in the booth, with Todd Kalas again part of the crew.

As part of their regionalization efforts, the Rays increased the games available on over-the-air TV in Orlando from 25 to 67.

- New special adviser Fred McGriff was the most popular attraction at the Hyatt Regency luncheon, and the retired slugger made a pitch to fans in his Tampa hometown. "I get tired of driving around town and seeing 'Go Yankees,' " McGriff said. "We've got to change that."

- Iwamura will make his first public appearance as a Ray on today's St. Petersburg caravan, with stops including the 11:30 a.m. St. Petersburg/Cleawater chamber luncheon at Tropicana Field and a 6 p.m. autograph session at BayWalk.

Let's see, 10 years of abject failure. What better way to celebrate that than to slap a few coats of paint on that flaming piece of crap? Then let's not spend any money but we'll put way more games on television. That way instead of not going to the ballpark, they can not watch it on TV as well. I smell "Joey"-like ratings, can you? And what better way to show how fan friendly you are than have all of this announced during a Chamber of Commerce luncheon that most fans couldn't afford tickets to or have real jobs and can't go? I have a great idea for the new mascot. How about an empty seat? And the new team insignia? How about the French flag?

redsgabp
02-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Let's see, 10 years of abject failure. What better way to celebrate that than to slap a few coats of paint on that flaming piece of crap? Then let's not spend any money but we'll put way more games on television. That way instead of not going to the ballpark, they can not watch it on TV as well. I smell "Joey"-like ratings, can you? And what better way to show how fan friendly you are than have all of this announced during a Chamber of Commerce luncheon that most fans couldn't afford tickets to or have real jobs and can't go? I have a great idea for the new mascot. How about an empty seat? And the new team insignia? How about the French flag?

it could be worse...
have you seen or heard about washington this year?
NO PITCHING AT ALL!

to bad we can't trade st louis and gain washington in the nl central.

Blitz Dorsey
02-11-2007, 01:18 AM
I always thought Sting Rays would have been a good nickname. Nobody knows what a devil ray is?:dunno:

I like Sting Rays. ... Or just Tampa Bay Rays.

Or just "Tampa Rays" since the name of the city is just Tampa, not Tampa Bay. Can you see I'm all for simplifying things? Haha. I would have enjoyed the Red Stockings/Redlegs/Reds transformation. KISS!

RFS62
02-11-2007, 08:06 AM
They play like the Tampa Ray Charles'

Donder
02-11-2007, 09:57 AM
I like Sting Rays. ... Or just Tampa Bay Rays.

Or just "Tampa Rays" since the name of the city is just Tampa, not Tampa Bay. Can you see I'm all for simplifying things? Haha. I would have enjoyed the Red Stockings/Redlegs/Reds transformation. KISS!

Except they actually play in St. Petersburg. But then again the LA Angels don't play in LA. :)

Yachtzee
02-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Except they actually play in St. Petersburg. But then again the LA Angels don't play in LA. :)

The St. Pete Roses?
St. Pete's Dragons?

KronoRed
02-11-2007, 02:54 PM
How about a deserved victim of contraction? :D

cacollinsmba
02-11-2007, 11:07 PM
How about a deserved victim of contraction? :D

I think they're a good candidate to be relocated.

Owner - investment banker
President - investment banker
VP baseball ops - investment banker

Trend? Investment bankers make their living swinging big deals.

My prediction - Las Vegas Sun Rays :D