PDA

View Full Version : What the heck are the Nationals thinking?

Crash Davis
03-28-2006, 09:56 PM
This team is in shambles for 2006. Watson & Byrd in CF, Ryan Church -- a far, far superior player than both -- too AAA.

Per rotoworld:

Nationals optioned outfielder Ryan Church to Triple-A New Orleans.
The Nationals seem to believe 55 spring at-bats are a better indication of talent than everything that's happened the two years prior. They're almost certainly worse team with Brandon Watson in center, but since Church hit .200 this spring, he'll return to Triple-A, where he hit a mere .343/.428/.620 last time around. Maybe Church will eventually get traded to a team that appreciates his offense. Until then, he's worth holding on to in NL-only leagues. Mar. 28 - 7:29 pm et

westofyou
03-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Watson is E.D.'s godson, Bowden probably let that play into it.

RFS62
03-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Anybody still miss Bowden?

RedFanAlways1966
03-29-2006, 08:50 AM

No, nada, not, nope....

Chip R
03-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Church must have parked in JimBo's parking spot.

registerthis
03-29-2006, 10:39 AM
I read that this morning while eating breakfast and almost spit up a Cheerio.

Bowden's schtick is gettign very old very fast...as if the Soriano fiasco weren't enough, now he benches one of his team's top young players in a contest that the player didn't even know was occuring.

There are so many flaws with this move, I barely know where to begin. Church is, unquestionably, the best option for the team in CF. Secondly, since he is a player whom--presumably--the Nats were looking to build around, sending him down to AAA makes no sense at all. Finally, I'm really not understanding the high value some GMs and managers place on spring training stats. Church proved his worth and ability last year, in his mind there wasn't even a competition. And no one told him tehre actually was until--well, yesterday.

Just my luck, I happen to follow the two worst-run teams in the NL. What are the odds.l

Crash Davis
03-29-2006, 10:53 AM

While Bowden can be blamed for plenty of the Nationals problems, this has Frank Robinson written all over it. Word is Bowden wanted Church to start in CF, while Robinson wanted Brandon Watson in CF, so he could have a true leadoff hitter (tee-hee). It's been reported that Robinson questions Church's toughness and his willingness to play through minor injuries.

top6
03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Anybody still miss Bowden?Bowden's team was in the playoff hunt last year. His teams here were often in the playoff hunt. We have been abysmally terrible since he left. So, yes, I miss him.

westofyou
03-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Bowden's team was in the playoff hunt last year

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38566

KronoRed
03-29-2006, 03:22 PM
While Bowden can be blamed for plenty of the Nationals problems, this has Frank Robinson written all over it. Word is Bowden wanted Church to start in CF, while Robinson wanted Brandon Watson in CF, so he could have a true leadoff hitter (tee-hee). It's been reported that Robinson questions Church's toughness and his willingness to play through minor injuries.
If Frank wants a true leadoff guy I think we have one for him.

Hurts to see young players ruined.

registerthis
03-29-2006, 03:26 PM
If Frank wants a true leadoff guy I think we have one for him.

Hurts to see young players ruined.

Church seemed legitimately shocked by the move. It's one thing to stupidly bench one of your promising young players.

It's another to do it in this manner. It's just unprofessional.

westofyou
03-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Church had 2 EBH all spring and seemed to be surprised that he didn't win the job... both of those are bad signs for a 26 year old with only 338 lifetime MLB ab's.

registerthis
03-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Church had 2 EBH all spring and seemed to be surprised that he didn't win the job... both of those are bad signs for a 26 year old with only 338 lifetime MLB ab's.

I'm not arguing that he should have won the job based on production, only that he entered spring entrenched as the starting CFer, and wasn't told otherwise until yesterday. At best, Watson was to be a backup OFer.

I think you at least communicate with the player that there is a competiton for his job.

marcshoe
03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm seeing a pattern here. This thread is about Bob Watson's son being given a job over a more deserving player. Elsewhere there is similar thread about Floyd Bannister's son.

I have in my possession a Charleston Charlies program autographed by several members of the exhibiting Houston Astros, including Watson and Bannister. I see a consipiricy here.

So, who did Jose Cruz, Jr, keep off a roster this year? Does Mike Fischlin have a son? :eek:

Chip R
03-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Ryan should have said he was related to Senator Frank Church. ;)

Doc. Scott
03-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Church must have parked in JimBo's parking spot.

He'll be in Tampa Bay (a la Michael Coleman) before he knows it. ;)

kyred14
03-29-2006, 07:54 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38566

Best. Thread. Ever.