KronoRed
03-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Hope he doesn't get jacked

HAHA?

Sorry ;)

kheidg-
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
At least Narron isn't the GM.

"We got what we needed, they got what they needed," Reds manager Jerry Narron said Tuesday. "A lot of times people get caught up in, 'We got the better end of that trade.' But if you fill holes, it doesn't matter what the guy you traded does."

guttle11
03-29-2006, 09:40 AM
This tells you all you need to know about the Reds.

They know all about his reputation as a pitcher. The Reds traded Pena - an inconsistent power hitter who struggles in the outfield - for a pitcher who wasn't going to make the Red Sox rotation, and immediately made him the No. 2 starter.

registerthis
03-29-2006, 09:42 AM
In a way, I agree with Narron. You can't let a fear of what a player "might" do prevent you from trading him when you have the ability to fill a gaping hole on your team. It's far different when it is a trade of an established player, and the return is obviously sub-par. But in other cases, sometimes you have to take a risk that the player everyone thought would be the next Pujols might not exactly get there.

Joseph
03-29-2006, 12:16 PM
I totally concur with that assessment. This franchise sat around worrying about what a Wily Mo, Kearns, or Dunn would do if they dealt them elsewhere instead of taking or making potential/rumored deals with a variety of franchises.

You boil it down though and Kearns and Pena especially have done nothing as major leaguers yet the Reds have held on to them and hoped and prayed they would eventually. We traded one young, unproven commodity for something that at least incrementally improves the overall outlook of the team at least in the short term. I am in favor of it because I don't think Wily Mo will ever amount to even a Tom Brunansky type career. Just my opinion.

WVRed
03-30-2006, 08:06 AM
At least Narron isn't the GM.

Theres nothing wrong with that quote. Billy Beane comments all the time that he tries to make deals that benefit both clubs.

Spitball
03-30-2006, 09:52 AM
I totally concur with that assessment. This franchise sat around worrying about what a Wily Mo, Kearns, or Dunn would do if they dealt them elsewhere instead of taking or making potential/rumored deals with a variety of franchises.

You boil it down though and Kearns and Pena especially have done nothing as major leaguers yet the Reds have held on to them and hoped and prayed they would eventually. We traded one young, unproven commodity for something that at least incrementally improves the overall outlook of the team at least in the short term. I am in favor of it because I don't think Wily Mo will ever amount to even a Tom Brunansky type career. Just my opinion.

I agree. It does no good to gripe over the trade of an unproven outfielder, especially when you already have Dunn and Kearns. You can't build a winner around an outfield. Big gun outfielders make too much money that would be better spent on pitching.

We all got caught up in the Wily Mo fairy tale. He went from an over-matched youngster taking up space on the bench to a giant of a man who hit 26 homers in a handful of at bats. He caught everyone by surprise, including NL pitchers.

But what happens when a batter goes from an unknown to a feared slugger? Pitchers start looking for the holes that batter's swing. Word gets out and suddenly a hitter must adjust or be exposed. It doesn't take an expert scout to see Pena has holes in that hard swing. It doesn't take an expert to see Pena's stats in the second half last year were not very impressive.

It is better to trade a player too soon than too late. How many unproven outfielders are traded for fourteen game winners, with below league average ERA, and signed to a favorable contract?

Cedric
03-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Tom Brunansky doesn't even have the same skill set as Wily Mo. He walked a good amount and his slugging doesn't really come close to Wily Mo.

Just saying.

Spitball
03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
I believe it was the Angels who were questioned when they traded a young Brunansky.

I think Pete Incaviglia is probably a better example. Inky once hit a ball through a wall in spring training. Awesome power. Lots of strike outs. Few walks. Bad defense. Huge expectations. After five seasons, his value sank so low that the Rangers couldn't even swing a deal for him. He was released after five seasons as a regular.