PDA

View Full Version : Doubles Unappreciated

redsmetz
03-29-2006, 11:23 AM
From Marc's story today:

After hitting 34 doubles and 18 home runs in his rookie season, 2000, and 37 doubles and 12 homers the following year, Long said he spent too much time trying to increase his power totals.

"I got to the point of just trying to hit the ball out of the park, and my numbers got worse," he said. "I spent three years of my career trying to be something somebody else wanted me to be. The last couple years, I just got back to doing what I do best, and that's just hitting."

The last two seasons, Long has combined to hit 40 doubles and just nine home runs, putting him back in his comfort zone even as his production dwindled. That may have had something to do with why the market soured on him, but Long no longer feels like he's pressing to do more than he can at the plate.

This post is NOT about the ups or downs of signing Terrance Long - I think we need to fill out rosters in the minor. Rather in this steroid juiced universe in which HR numbers have been astronomical and really throughout baseball history, doesn't it feel at times that the Double is the ugly stepchild of the Home Run? There have been some great doubles hitters and a Double gets the job done quite well from time to time. I just think too often fans get so enamored with Home Runs and we overlook the lowly double.

RedsManRick
03-29-2006, 12:18 PM
I think this is a great point and really applies to Edwin Encarnacion. If look at what he did last year, and project it over 600 at bats, he's got a ton of potential. If he can hit .260 and keep his power rates, we're looking at a .260/.340/.500 type season with 47 2b and 31 HR -- which would've been good for 5th in the NL in terms of OPS. That would be rougly equivilent to the numbers Felipe Lopez put up last year.

If he can get his average even higher... look out.

Johnny Footstool
03-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm completely on board with this. Doubles are HUGE in terms of producing runs, but they aren't a marquee stat. Quick - who led the league in doubles last season? Derek Lee and Miguel Tejada, with 50 each.

LincolnparkRed
03-29-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm completely on board with this. Doubles are HUGE in terms of producing runs, but they aren't a marquee stat. Quick - who led the league in doubles last season? Derek Lee and Miguel Tejada, with 50 each.

Not bad company to keep. I would be happy if EdE was a doubles machine, because one thing this team has is power.

redsmetz
03-29-2006, 04:16 PM

Of course, with less than one out, it completely changes the defensive structure of the team in the field, making for more opportunities for hitters coming up behind the doubles hitter.

westofyou
03-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Long played in the perfect park for doubles, the Park there has been a 103 for doubles the last 3 seasons.