PDA

View Full Version : Is there an alternative to cable/DirectTV to watch Reds games

Little Alex
03-29-2006, 01:46 PM
I dont have cable or any of that because for the most part I think TV is pretty boring.

But I do like watching the Reds though. I live in Cincinnati. Is Cable/DirectTV my only option? :confused:

Falls City Beer
03-29-2006, 01:47 PM
I dont have cable or any of that because for the most part I think TV is pretty boring.

Amen.

flyer85
03-29-2006, 01:48 PM
I guess you will have go to person

Joseph
03-29-2006, 01:49 PM
MLB.TV is the only other option of which I'm aware.

Little Alex
03-29-2006, 01:55 PM
MLB.TV is the only other option of which I'm aware.

But dont they black out the Reds games if you live in Cincinnati?

Reds Fanatic
03-29-2006, 02:02 PM
But dont they black out the Reds games if you live in Cincinnati?Yes they do black out the games if you are in Cincinnati.

cumberlandreds
03-29-2006, 02:03 PM
But dont they black out the Reds games if you live in Cincinnati?

Yes the Reds games would be blacked out in Cincy.

LoganBuck
03-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Dish Network?

Wheelhouse
03-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Get mlb.tv, use the fullscreen option and connect your pc to your tv (may need to buy a special cable) Then you can watch games for about half the cost of extra innings, albeit at a love resolution than cable tv.

Little Alex
03-29-2006, 02:12 PM
So basically what you all are saying is, if I live in Cincinnati my only options to watch the Reds are to pony up for Cable/Direct TV/Dish Network?

flyer85
03-29-2006, 02:16 PM
So basically what you all are saying is, if I live in Cincinnati my only options to watch the Reds are to pony up for Cable/Direct TV/Dish Network?or MLB.TV

The Reds haven't been on an OTA(over-the-air) outlet for years.

KronoRed
03-29-2006, 03:29 PM
He'll be blacked on MLB.TV

Don't ya just love MLB blackout rules?

DeadRedinCT
03-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Move to Elko, NV. Then log onto MLB.TV.

westofyou
03-29-2006, 11:25 PM
or MLB.TV

The Reds haven't been on an OTA(over-the-air) outlet for years.

Yep, currently there are 7 teams that are cable only.

reds44
03-29-2006, 11:36 PM
I just signed up for my 1st year of mlb.tv. I just felt as if it was stupid for me to keep paying the extra money for EI, when I can have basically the same thing for less money.

Sea Ray
03-29-2006, 11:45 PM

I'm surprised there are that many. I think it is a shame the Reds don't televise games on free TV. A lot of folks are screwed. I do think that with the merger of WB and UPN that will free up a station in Cincinnati so that free Reds games may come back soon. Without a network obligated to run syndicated TV, a station like 64 may very well be better equipped to pickup a Reds package.

GAC
03-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Dish/Directv also will black out the games because they have to honor regional blackout rules. At least that is the way it was 2-3 years ago when I had it.

MLB.TV, which I just checked on, will also black out. You can find out for sure by going to their list of zip codes that would be blacked out. I live in central Ohio and am on the list. To heck with them I say.

What is FoxSportOhio's schedule this year on Red games? Last year they broadcast over 100 games.

GAC
03-30-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm surprised there are that many. I think it is a shame the Reds don't televise games on free TV. A lot of folks are screwed.

Thank MLB heirarchy. If there is a buck to be made they're going for it. Gone are the days when you could watch a ergional game on such local stations as in Dayton, Columbus, etc.

KronoRed
03-30-2006, 12:31 AM
What's even better is, if the game is NOT on fsn Ohio but on another FSN channel or online, it's still blacked out, even if they are on the road.

Apparently "real" fans follow the team everywhere ;)

bucknutdet
03-30-2006, 12:32 AM
DirecTV or Dish won't block out the games on FoxSports. And if you have purchased the MLB package and the opponents network is broadcasting and you don't have local coverage (FoxSportsOhio) you should be able to see the game, I think. I know you would be able to if it's away, maybe not if it's at home. But FoxSports does broadcast about 100 games per year. You should be able to get that on either cable, DirecTV or Dish.

I now have cable and would strongly recommend DirecTV. I had it for a few years and it is a better deal, their website is great, customer service is great. Only if you're looking for more HD programming, more convienently, would you chose cable (which is the only reason I have cable)

If seeing the Reds mean a lot to you than the extra money, per month, might be worth it. Hell, cancel it after the season is over and get it again next April (cable that is). You can get DirecTV for under $45 a month and get 150 channels. Of course nothing will be on when you really want to watch it. Premiums like HBO etc will cost you another $12/ month. But you can drop a couple hundy $ and buy the MLB or the NFL ticket and have mega sports.

DirecTV is the only supplier of the NFL Sunday ticket if that interests you.

Hope that was helpful.

FeartheEars
03-30-2006, 03:28 AM
What does something like MLB TV cost you? I am taking summer classes and staying up at Purdue and I am not looking forward to relying on my mlb radio pass every night to follow the Reds. Have any of you done the PC hooked to a TV thing with it and gotten decent resolution? My computer hooks up to a tv rather easily and would be perfect for that.

Jpup
03-30-2006, 06:15 AM
What does something like MLB TV cost you? I am taking summer classes and staying up at Purdue and I am not looking forward to relying on my mlb radio pass every night to follow the Reds. Have any of you done the PC hooked to a TV thing with it and gotten decent resolution? My computer hooks up to a tv rather easily and would be perfect for that.

it looks awful. if you want to watch the Reds on your TV, get Dish or Direct TV. I have no option(apartment) so I have MLB.TV. They really need to work on updated the streaming speed to something towards 700k, because 350 looks awful.

I have had the MLB.TV every year since it began and it hasn't improved at all as far a picture quality. It also drops out on occasion and you will have to reconnect to the feed or wait for it to buffer, although much of that has been fixed since the initial season. The archives are available with a couple hours after the game has been played and that is how I have to watch the Reds even though I'm nearly 4 hours away. Blackouts rules stink. Directv/Dish will be my first purchase when I get into my new place, hopefully it will be before the end of the season.

Go Direct or Dish for the best viewing experience if you cant get FSN Ohio on your local cable. MLB.TV is $79.99 for the 2006 season and MLB.com All Access is $99.99 for the entire 2006 season(or $19.99 per month). All Access is the better deal since you can watch all the games, condensed games(only the hits, outs, etc.), highlights, listen to the radio feed, and use searchable video. Here is the direct link to MLB.com All Access: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/subscriptions/all_access.jsp.

Reds Fanatic
03-30-2006, 08:09 AM
The Extra Innings package on cable costs $159 before April 10th after that the cost will go up to $179. There will be a free preview from April 3rd to April 9th. That free preview is also a good way for those of you not sure if you are blacked out on Reds games to see if you are blacked out in your area.

Virginia Beach Reds
03-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Question. I live in VB now but am moving to Milford (east side of Cincy) end of April. What if I buy the MLB package here with my zip code then move to my blacked out zip code once the season has started. I'm sitting here trying to figure out how they will know I'm in the Reds market. Anyone have any ideas?

Jpup
03-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Question. I live in VB now but am moving to Milford (east side of Cincy) end of April. What if I buy the MLB package here with my zip code then move to my blacked out zip code once the season has started. I'm sitting here trying to figure out how they will know I'm in the Reds market. Anyone have any ideas?

I guess they base it on where your bill goes, I dunno. MLB.com does it by ISP.

Reds Fanatic
03-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Question. I live in VB now but am moving to Milford (east side of Cincy) end of April. What if I buy the MLB package here with my zip code then move to my blacked out zip code once the season has started. I'm sitting here trying to figure out how they will know I'm in the Reds market. Anyone have any ideas? I don't know how MLB.TV does it but for the Extra Innings cable package you would be blacked out as soon as you moved to Cincinnati.

Sea Ray
03-30-2006, 12:13 PM

I assume you're talking about the Extra Innings package on satellite TV. I think they require your box to be connected to a land phone line and that's how they know where you're living.

BRM
03-30-2006, 12:15 PM
I assume you're talking about the Extra Innings package on satellite TV. I think they require your box to be connected to a land phone line and that's how they know where you're living.

They claim to require it but it's not necessary to view any of the channels. I haven't had a phone line hooked up to my box in years.

jfar23
03-30-2006, 12:39 PM
I just got dish network this past winter, I live in Central Indiana, in the Reds market...are they going to black me out of games on FSN?

maniem
03-30-2006, 01:04 PM
I just got dish network this past winter, I live in Central Indiana, in the Reds market...are they going to black me out of games on FSN?

I live in Central Indiana and have the dish, and so far, none of the spring training games have been blacked out. (Not sure what happens with regular season games though) I ended up getting the mulit-sport package, which is only $6 per month. This gives you access to many of the FSN's. Living in central Indiana defaults you to FSN Midwest, so i had to get the mulit-sports package, which is quite a bargain IMO.

OldRightHander
03-30-2006, 01:17 PM
I think it is a travesty for a major sports team to be only on cable in the home market. My wife is constantly wanting to cancel the cable because she doesn't think it's worth the money, so I'm always out there trying to find the next promotional offer so I can convince her to keep it for a while longer. Now she's making the cancellation sounds again right when baseball season is about to start. I need to find another promo price fast.

RBA
03-30-2006, 01:19 PM
it looks awful. if you want to watch the Reds on your TV, get Dish or Direct TV. I have no option(apartment) so I have MLB.TV. They really need to work on updated the streaming speed to something towards 700k, because 350 looks awful.

I have had the MLB.TV every year since it began and it hasn't improved at all as far a picture quality. It also drops out on occasion and you will have to reconnect to the feed or wait for it to buffer, although much of that has been fixed since the initial season. The archives are available with a couple hours after the game has been played and that is how I have to watch the Reds even though I'm nearly 4 hours away. Blackouts rules stink. Directv/Dish will be my first purchase when I get into my new place, hopefully it will be before the end of the season.

Go Direct or Dish for the best viewing experience if you cant get FSN Ohio on your local cable. MLB.TV is $79.99 for the 2006 season and MLB.com All Access is $99.99 for the entire 2006 season(or $19.99 per month). All Access is the better deal since you can watch all the games, condensed games(only the hits, outs, etc.), highlights, listen to the radio feed, and use searchable video. Here is the direct link to MLB.com All Access: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/subscriptions/all_access.jsp.

I had a problem with the dropouts so I increased my buffer size to 30 seconds. It's been working okay since I did that. But the picture quality is still pretty poor, especailly if you expand it to full screen or output it to a tv.

REDREAD
03-30-2006, 01:36 PM

That John Allen, what a trend setter :laugh:

REDREAD
03-30-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm surprised there are that many. I think it is a shame the Reds don't televise games on free TV. .

Well, I think some teams use it to their advantage.. Aren't the Yankees off local TV due to their mega-cable station deal?

Allen pulled the Reds off local TV for no real reason. We got a crappy deal with Fox sports OHio, who ended up showing mainly Indians games.

I think Montreal was the second team to go off the air. Maybe WestofYou can list the teams.

westofyou
03-30-2006, 01:38 PM
That John Allen, what a trend setter :laugh:
Including the Red Sox

REDREAD
03-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Including the Red Sox

Who probably have a much more lucrative cable deal than we have, and thus can justify it. The cable deal Allen got us when he dropped over the air (I think it was around 97-98) sucked.

If you can get a monster cable deal, then by all means do it. But Allen didn't. Also, the Red Sox have a more established fan base. The Reds needed regional local TV coverage to help sell game tickets. There's thousands of potential Reds fans in Kentucky, Indiana, etc that haven't seen the team on TV for something like 8 years now. Out of sight, out of mind. And the attendence for the team continues to slip.. Sure, we can not prove a cause and effect, but no local TV certainly isn't helping.

westofyou
03-30-2006, 02:59 PM
The cable deal Allen got us when he dropped over the air (I think it was around 97-98) sucked. So did the team.

RBA
03-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Who probably have a much more lucrative cable deal than we have, and thus can justify it. The cable deal Allen got us when he dropped over the air (I think it was around 97-98) sucked.

If you can get a monster cable deal, then by all means do it. But Allen didn't. Also, the Red Sox have a more established fan base. The Reds needed regional local TV coverage to help sell game tickets. There's thousands of potential Reds fans in Kentucky, Indiana, etc that haven't seen the team on TV for something like 8 years now. Out of sight, out of mind. And the attendence for the team continues to slip.. Sure, we can not prove a cause and effect, but no local TV certainly isn't helping.

Yes, many are seeing other team's broadcast. I was in Lexington, KY 2 years ago and instead of seeing the Reds on TV, I was treated to a Braves game. I'm suprised the Reds and MLB don't clamp down on other teams poaching on their terroritory. The Reds need to assert themselves. Just like the Giants give the A's no room for error, the Reds should be fighting for every inch of their market. If I was the owner I would send a group out to exactly find out what exactly these cable markets around Cincinnati are actually showing and if it is another team like the Indians threaten them with legal action if a friendly reminder doesn't work.

westofyou
03-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Yes, many are seeing other team's broadcast. I was in Lexington, KY 2 years ago and instead of seeing the Reds on TV, I was treated to a Braves game. I'm suprised the Reds and MLB don't clamp down on other teams poaching on their terroritory. The Reds need to assert themselves. Just like the Giants give the A's no room for error, the Reds should be fighting for every inch of their market. If I was the owner I would send a group out to exactly find out what exactly these cable markets around Cincinnati are actually showing and if it is another team like the Indians threaten them with legal action if a friendly reminder doesn't work.
This issue was addressed in the mid 80's and the Reds and others already sold out their market when they allowed a "Superstation Fee" to be paid out by the teams with said stations.

Next Vincent attempted to curb them, the Tribune Company and others used a little political clout to kill that too.

MLB opened the flood gates 2 decades ago, crying about being waterlogged now won't do a thing.

Virginia Beach Reds
03-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I guess they base it on where your bill goes, I dunno. MLB.com does it by ISP.

I was talking about mlb.com. That would make sense. They will black out the Reds, I'm sure. Oh well.

thanks.