PDA

View Full Version : 3/29 American Idol...who goes home tonight?

max venable
03-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Here's my take on last night:

One of the most boring American Idol nights so far. The Stevie Wonder night was almost as boring. Nobody made me go, "Wow!"

Lisa was first. I think she could be going home after that performance...for a couple of reasons: 1. it sucked and 2. she went first (which I think is always a disadvantage with that many others left to sing).

Next was selected by Kellie. TOO twangy for my taste. But she can entetain. She's too cute to be going home any time soon.

Ace...boring...just plain boring. But I think he'll hang around because others (Lisa) were worse.

Taylor, once again, was very entertaining but the vocal did not contain the "wow factor." I still think he can win it all. I think he's got a huge fan base.

Then we had Mandisa. The judges didn't care for her number (with the exception of Paula--of course). Personally, I thought it was fun. It wasn't her best vocal but no doubt every Christian in America will vote for her after that one.

Chris was in your face, powerful and obnoxious, IMO. Nothing terribly impressive but there's NO WAY he's going home any time soon.

Katharine. She didn’t do anything for me (except look good--again) :thumbup: I think her star is beginning to fade.

Red-neck Bucky sang like his mouth was full horseshoes. But I think he's got enough fans to keep him around. If he doesn't go after last night, it's just because Lisa was worse.

Paris was probably the best last night. She improved her stock quite a bit with that performance.

And finally, Elliott. I DO NOT see why the judges are so fascinated with him. He can't dance, he's just an okay singer...the song choice was not good, IMO. The band was too powerful for his voice.

My best guess....bye, bye Lisa.

Red in Chicago
03-29-2006, 04:56 PM
i agree with lisa going home tonight...i thought she aweful...couldn't carry a note at all...bucky was a close second, as you couldn't understand a word he was singing...

when i first heard they were going to be singing songs from within the last few years, i had big expectations...needless to say, lisa killed that right away...what's with the song choices last night? i only recognized 3 or 4 of the songs...

i want my hour back

Danny Serafini
03-29-2006, 05:12 PM
I think time has run out on Bucky. Lisa and Ace will join him in the bottom 3 this week. Certainly was a disappointing show. They had a great opportunity to show that they sounded contemporary and could sell records, and for the most part failed. I do have to disagree in one regard though, I thought Elliot came through with easily the best performance of the night. I liked how they rearranged the song, I liked his voice, and I liked the fact that he finally showed some sort of personality instead of just standing and singing.

MWM
03-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Lisa or Bucky are going. Overall, a very bad night.

Here were my comments during the show:

Lisa – boy did she miss a lot of notes. I think she bit off more than she could chew here. I think her voice has deteriorated from the beginning of the show. She’s still young and her voice hasn’t matured yet, so this is very hard on the vocal chords.

Kellie – I thought it was a weak vocal performance tonight with the exception of a couple of notes. Plus, for such an up tempo song, she was very boring. I think she’s losing some of her luster.

Ace – His voice is so whiny. Jeez, I can’t stand listening to this guy. Plus, he has no performance skills. And you have got to be kidding me with the pulling of the shirt open. It’s too bad he’s going to be on the show for a while.

Taylor – good vocal, but a little dull for him. I think he wanted to show everyone that he can still actually sing and is more than just an entertainer (I typed that up before he said that he wanted to sing tonight). I’ve never heard the song before but I really liked it.

Mandisa – I’m a big fan of Mandisa’s, but this song was a little much for me. Going with a religious song is risky. The entire song was wailing at the top of her lungs. I’m not sure what else to say about her. All of her songs sound the same. I guess I’m just tiring of her a little.

Chris – I totally agree with Simon tonight on Chris. He’s really good and just might win this thing, but it’s getting a little tired. And I can’t be objective about tonight’s performance because I absolutely hate that kind of music.

Katherine – As usual, her vocals sounded great, but I was bored, It was kind of a “so-what” performance for me.

Bucky – He’ll be gone soon so I’m not going to worry about him.

Paris – One of the top 12 last year sang this song and got booted that weak, IIRC. But I thought she was really good tonight, probably the best performance of the night. I’m not sure how I feel about a 17 year old singing such a provocative song, talking about going straight for the floor. I would be embarrassed if my daughter, at 17 years old, did such a performance. But aside from that it was very good.

Elliott – Good performance tonight. It was a completely different style for him. I thought it worked well. But the bouncing was brutal. Elliott has no personality which will be his downfall.

max venable
03-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Iím not sure how I feel about a 17 year old singing such a provocative song, talking about going straight for the floor. I would be embarrassed if my daughter, at 17 years old, did such a performance.

Yes! I thought the very same thing last night. I was pretty surprised that she sang it given the lyrics. They showed a shot of her mom right as Paris finished singing and she, of course was cheering wildly. But anyway, yeah, I hear ya, I wouldn't want my teenager singing a song like that.

Hap
03-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Bucky sucks and the song he chose really sucks and Tim McGraw really really sucks.

max venable
03-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Bye Lisa :wave:

Now if we can just get Bucky to go next week. :beerme:

MWM
03-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Boy, I couldn't believe Katherine was up there. She sure didn't know how to react. She can sing, but she seems very full of herself.

I'm going to miss Lisa, but I think it was her time. She made too many poor song choices and I think the strain on her voice was starting to show. But she seemed like a really sweet person. She knew it was coming tonight.

Roy Tucker
03-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Boy, I couldn't believe Katherine was up there. She sure didn't know how to react. She can sing, but she seems very full of herself.

I'm going to miss Lisa, but I think it was her time. She made too many poor song choices and I think the strain on her voice was starting to show. But she seemed like a really sweet person. She knew it was coming tonight.
Yeah, I agree. I was shocked to see Katherine in the bottom 3. But like Simon said, it was a very weak show and everyone stunk, so anyone could have been in the bottom 3.

Ace looked like he was going to throw up. Open your shirt now, scar boy.

Lisa knew it was her time and took it with class. Paris sure had the waterworks going.

I think they said next week is country. We'll see if Chris can find a Merle Haggard song done by some alt.rock band. Bucky and Pickler will be in their milieu.

smith288
03-30-2006, 12:20 PM
I would rather see Ace go before Bucky... Bucky didnt make it this far based on looks...Ace did.

Next week is country week so Bucky might get another week repreive and someone else who cant fit the genre (Ace) get booted.

max venable
03-30-2006, 12:24 PM
I would rather see Ace go before Bucky... Bucky didnt make it this far based on looks...Ace did.

Anybody else sick of "the look" Ace gives at the end of every one of his songs? Good grief! Is that all you got Ace? Give it a rest!

Dom Heffner
03-30-2006, 09:52 PM
I cannot stand Ace. Awful. When he showed his scar during that song I wanted to go puke.

I also no longer like Mandisa or Paris.

MWM
03-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Why don't you like Paris? I think I know why Mandisa, but not sure why Paris?

Dom Heffner
03-31-2006, 03:27 PM
I think I know why Mandisa

Mike, I knew this about you, but you are a very bright man. ;)

When Simon said she was "indulgent" or whatever word he used, he couldn't have hit that nail harder on the head if he were Superman.

One burger chain here in Zephryhills- Whataburger- has one of our nation's mottos tacked up in the window, and you know, I cannot tell you how little I care about whether or not a burger joint is monotheistic. Next they'll be posting their views on geometry.

but not sure why Paris?

That over singing stuff just never appealed to me. Singing is about control, yes, but not about flexing the vocals at every opportunity, if that makes sense. She is very good, but the act is growing old for me.

max venable
03-31-2006, 03:45 PM
So what's wrong with Mandisa singing about something she's passionate about?

They let her choose any song since 2000 and she chose one that she closely identifies with. I applaud her.

Dom Heffner
03-31-2006, 03:59 PM
They let her choose any song since 2000

That's exactly why I didn't like the choice. She could have picked any song and chose that one. That's why Simon called her indulgent.

Most people aren't watching American Idol to find out the personal beliefs of these contestants. Mandisa's beliefs don't validate anybody else's.

It's indulgent, unnecessary, and alienates people in the audience. She probably feels passionate about the roles of minorities and other causes, but most people wouldn't want to see songs like that on a show that has a general audience. I also wouldn't want to see a politically charged song either, and Mandisa and I probably share the same views there. It makes people feel uncomfortable.

But this is something better discussed on Ochre's board that I would be happy to dive into politely with anybody who starts the thread.

max venable
03-31-2006, 04:54 PM
That's exactly why I didn't like the choice. She could have picked any song and chose that one. That's why Simon called her indulgent.

Most people aren't watching American Idol to find out the personal beliefs of these contestants. Mandisa's beliefs don't validate anybody else's.

It's indulgent, unnecessary, and alienates people in the audience. She probably feels passionate about the roles of minorities and other causes, but most people wouldn't want to see songs like that on a show that has a general audience. I also wouldn't want to see a politically charged song either, and Mandisa and I probably share the same views there. It makes people feel uncomfortable.

But this is something better discussed on Ochre's board that I would be happy to dive into politely with anybody who starts the thread.
I think you make some great points. I look at contemporary Christian music more as a genre, like country, or hip-hop. Bucky chose something from his favorite genre. So did Kellie. Chris...etc. And so did Mandisa.

I don't disagree with some of your points, Dom. But if they were told, do a song based on the kind of album you'd do, why wouldn't Mandisa choose a song like the one she chose?

Again, now that I've thought about it a bit more, I think it was more of a genre thing than a "statement" thing...IMO.

MWM
03-31-2006, 05:19 PM
I agree with you on both counts, Dom. This week definitely changed my perception of both singers.

Dom Heffner
03-31-2006, 07:06 PM
I think you make some great points. I look at contemporary Christian music more as a genre, like country, or hip-hop. Bucky chose something from his favorite genre. So did Kellie. Chris...etc. And so did Mandisa.

max- this is a great response. I see your point and the comparison you make with this being more of a genre thing is well taken.

For me, if this is the genre you want to go with, you should pick a song a little less "in your face."

I think Lee Ann Rimes' "I Need You" is a perfect example of this because it could be about anyone from a spiritual leader or a girlfriend.

With the song Mandisa did, there was no doubt what was being expressed there and I think it makes people who do not subscribe to her belief a little uneasy or think, "She could have picked any song, why do that?"

I would never question her right to exercise an opinion, but I do question her decision to exercise the opinion. The difference is ever so slight, but it can make a world of difference.

Regardless, she is a terrific talent and will be here for weeks to come.

RedsManRick
03-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Did you listen to the lyrics of any other song and critize them so much? I just don't get why Mandisa is somehow forcing her relgious views on people by singing about God whereas singing a love song isn't forcing your views on relationships on people...

Anyways, Ace is skating on thin ice, Katherine needs to do something to establish her "persona" (all the best people can be described in a very short description -- ie. the cute blonde country girl). You either get slotted in to an archetype, create a new one, or you're forgettble and apparently 'hot girl with good voice' isn't enough.

Dom Heffner
03-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Did you listen to the lyrics of any other song and critize them so much? I just don't get why Mandisa is somehow forcing her relgious views on people by singing about God whereas singing a love song isn't forcing your views on relationships on people...

This thread is sooooo closed. My apologies for coming back for a second helping. :)

I'll leave you with this: Would you rather your waiter talk about his past relationships or how often he attends service?

I think most people would prefer the former, because it is in better taste.

We all have relationships with people, not everyone has relationship with a higher power or can agree on what that even is.

I've worked for major corporations and one topic is always a no-no, while talking about love is most always okay. The difference being is that one inherently holds a punishment for differing views and the other is only a difference in opinion.

MWM
03-31-2006, 08:29 PM
It's not a matter of "forcing her views" as much as it was "shoving it in your face" and saying "look at me everyone and see how righteous I am." You can't exactly force your views by singing a song. But you can pretend that your'e good and everyone else isn't. I also didn't like the choice to sing such a song. If you're a religious person great, but the lyrics to that song are very condescending to non-religious people, IMO.

max venable
04-01-2006, 08:31 AM
It's not a matter of "forcing her views" as much as it was "shoving it in your face" and saying "look at me everyone and see how righteous I am." You can't exactly force your views by singing a song. But you can pretend that your'e good and everyone else isn't. I also didn't like the choice to sing such a song. If you're a religious person great, but the lyrics to that song are very condescending to non-religious people, IMO.
Wow, MWM. I didn't see it that way at all. But I respect your opinion.

Let me ask this: How come when Carrie Underwood sang "Jesus Take the Wheel" on the show a couple of weeks ago, nobody said, "boo!"?

MWM
04-01-2006, 09:42 AM
She's not a contestant who is asking people to vote for her.

RedsManRick
04-01-2006, 10:01 AM
This thread is sooooo closed. My apologies for coming back for a second helping. :)

I'll leave you with this: Would you rather your waiter talk about his past relationships or how often he attends service?

I think most people would prefer the former, because it is in better taste.

We all have relationships with people, not everyone has relationship with a higher power or can agree on what that even is.

I've worked for major corporations and one topic is always a no-no, while talking about love is most always okay. The difference being is that one inherently holds a punishment for differing views and the other is only a difference in opinion.

Sorry if you felt it was an attack on you Dom.. I'm just playing devils advocate. To me, a song like that only has some great higher meaning if you let it. If she was singing about how much she likes pizza (and I'm guessing she might... :evil:) and said that I should like pizza too, I wouldn't really care.

I just saw her singing about something she was passionate about and didn't take the step of feeling judged by her. In the same way a person singing about love is commenting on their own experience. If a waiter told me about his/her faith, I'd think "good for you" and ask what the special is. If he told me about his failing relationship, I'd think "that sucks" and ask what the special is.

Anyways, I don't think Mandisa will make it much longer because while she has a great voice, she hasn't shown much stylistic range or peronality.

Dom Heffner
04-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Never thought for a second it was an attack. Good points all around by everyone. :)