PDA

View Full Version : If you like M. Night Shyamalan movies...

max venable
03-30-2006, 10:25 AM
...this is for you.

I love M. Night's movies. That's right up my alley...the whole edge of your seat, twist at the end that blows your mind thing...with an occasional supernatural element thrown in...love it!

Here are some movies I'd recommend that are similar to M. Night's:

Fallen
The Skeleton Key
The Others
What Lies Beneath
Frequency
Dragonfly
The Forgotten

Any others you'd recommend for a guy like me?

Johnny Footstool
03-30-2006, 11:12 AM
"Dead End" - not quite on the level of Shyamalan, but it is a creepy supernatural thriller with a twist. What sets it apart is it's attitude and an amazing performance by Lin Shaye as the mother. An enjoyable B movie.

"Donnie Darko" - more of a drama with supernatural elements. The plot has some weird twists, and you get some very likable performances from Jake Gyllenhaal and Jena Malone.

"Jacob's Ladder" - a *great* twist-'em-up plot. Kind of messy, leaves you scratching your head a few times, but the ending brings everything together. I really enjoyed this movie, more so than the other two I mentioned.

westofyou
03-30-2006, 11:16 AM
"Jacob's Ladder" - a *great* twist-'em-up plot. Kind of messy, leaves you scratching your head a few times, but the ending brings everything together. I really enjoyed this movie, more so than the other two I mentioned.I have that DVD

Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge.

WMR
03-30-2006, 11:25 AM
...this is for you.

I love M. Night's movies. That's right up my alley...the whole edge of your seat, twist at the end that blows your mind thing...with an occasional supernatural element thrown in...love it!

Here are some movies I'd recommend that are similar to M. Night's:

Fallen - GOOD
The Skeleton Key - NOT GOOD
The Others - GOOD
What Lies Beneath - NOT GOOD
Frequency - GOOD
Dragonfly - ABSOLOTELY HORRIBLE
The Forgotten - NOT GOOD

Any others you'd recommend for a guy like me?

my opnions

WMR
03-30-2006, 11:28 AM
I have that DVD

Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge.

thats 1 of my favorite short stories have you ever read that westofyou?

westofyou
03-30-2006, 11:28 AM
thats 1 of my favorite short stories have you ever read that westofyou?
Yep, seen the movie like 10 times too.

savafan
03-30-2006, 11:34 AM
The Mothman Prophecies

WMR
03-30-2006, 11:40 AM
okay heres some good 1s:

dark city
total recall
strange days
the game
the usual suspects
the abyss
gattaca
lawnmower man

oh yeh donnie darko is really great cflick very odd movie worth multaple views

Aceking
03-30-2006, 12:47 PM
I'll second Donnie Darko. It's the bomb.

minus5
03-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Stir of Echos with Keving Bacon...good one.

savafan
03-30-2006, 01:10 PM
There's a Thailand (I think, maybe Korea) movie called "The Eye" that's worth checking out as well.

GAC
03-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Red Eye is pretty good.

I liked The Skeleton Key. After it was over I was kinda confused as to what went on. But after rehashing the movie, I figured it out. I'm kinda slow. ;)

Enjoyed both Flight Plan and Panic Room w/ Jodie Foster.

I didn't care much at all for The Village. Pretty stupid IMO.

max venable
03-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Red Eye is pretty good.

I liked The Skeleton Key. After it was over I was kinda confused as to what went on. But after rehashing the movie, I figured it out. I'm kinda slow. ;)

Enjoyed both Flight Plan and Panic Room w/ Jodie Foster.

I didn't care much at all for The Village. Pretty stupid IMO.
Yes, Red Eye was good. Not quite a Shyamalan-type flick but good. Liked Flight Plan, too. Haven't seen Panic Room yet but it's in my Netflix queue. I thought The Village was excellent. Maybe in my top 10 all-time.

thanks for weighing in, GAC. Looking forward to watching Panic Room.

GAC
03-30-2006, 04:37 PM
I thought The Forgotten sucked big time. Left ya hanging there at the end.

The Exorcism Of Emily Rose was pretty good.

Larkin411
03-30-2006, 05:27 PM
How about Dead Again? It's the one with Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh back in the day.

max venable
03-30-2006, 05:54 PM
How about Dead Again? It's the one with Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh back in the day.
Thanks for the tip...just added it to my queue! :beerme:

VI_RedsFan
03-30-2006, 06:01 PM
How can you forget Signs? My favorite sci-fi movie of all time.

03-30-2006, 07:20 PM
I watched "Stay" the other night. It was pretty good. It fits in with the theme here.

TeamCasey
03-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Saw

GAC
03-31-2006, 06:58 AM
Saw

Saw what? ;)

How about the oldie but goodie Motel Hell? :lol:

cumberlandreds
03-31-2006, 08:14 AM
You guys are forgetting one of, if not, his best:
The Sixth Sense

SirFelixCat
03-31-2006, 08:18 AM
-The Game w/ Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. Fantastic movie.

-Arlington Road. Another quality flick

-The Butterfly Effect. Found this really good as well.

And a bit "off" the theme, but "Basic" with John Travolta and Samuel Jackson was really really good too.

Jaycint
03-31-2006, 09:08 AM
The Mothman Prophecies

Agreed, one of my all-time favorite movies. Maybe because the events took place just a few hours from the Cincy area. Of course the critics dumped excrement all over it in their reviews but they seem to do that with every movie I like.

beb30
03-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Of course the critics dumped excrement all over it in their reviews but they seem to do that with every movie I like.

I think thats with any movie anyone likes..........it seems like their ratings are usually @$$ backwards

Johnny Footstool
03-31-2006, 10:42 AM
How about the oldie but goodie Motel Hell? :lol:

My sister has that on VHS. I tried to watch it once. I failed.

savafan
03-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Agreed, one of my all-time favorite movies. Maybe because the events took place just a few hours from the Cincy area. Of course the critics dumped excrement all over it in their reviews but they seem to do that with every movie I like.

The critics convinced me to watch "The English Patient". I'll never believe a word they say again.

GAC
03-31-2006, 01:08 PM
-Arlington Road. Another quality flick

Excellent movie.

GAC
03-31-2006, 01:09 PM
My sister has that on VHS. I tried to watch it once. I failed.

Yeah. Pretty much on the same level as some of those other old drive-in movies, such as The Town That Dreaded Sundown and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. :lol:

Larkin411
03-31-2006, 01:50 PM
I also really like The Lady Vanishes by Hitchcock but maybe that's too old school. Also it's not really creepy like Shyamalan but it's still got the mystery angle plus it's pretty funny in that snappy 1930s way.

Sweetstop
03-31-2006, 06:26 PM
I also really like The Lady Vanishes by Hitchcock but maybe that's too old school. Also it's not really creepy like Shyamalan but it's still got the mystery angle plus it's pretty funny in that snappy 1930s way.

Ah! Another Hitchcock fan! The Lady Vanishes is one of his best. Vertigo might fit into this thread also.