PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer?

WVRed
03-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Do you prefer for people to call you by Mr. or Mrs., or just by your first name?

I have two neighbor kids next door, and believe me, I could not have asked for better neighbors, who call me Mr. (First Name). While I do appreciate the respect, it does kinda make me feel old.:help:

College on the other hand is the other extreme. The first day of class, the teacher said he just wanted us to call him by his first name, not the professor or Mr or anything like that. Sometimes people will call him that just to grate on him.:)

If a kid called you by your first name, how would you respond?

Roy Tucker
03-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I prefer being called Mr. by kids.

We've taught our children to call all adults Mr. and Mrs. from day one.

If some kid calls me by my first name, I correct them, gently but firmly.

flyer85
03-30-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm glad when someone gets my name right and no expletives are included.

redsfan30
03-30-2006, 11:54 AM
First name, all ages.

Cedric
03-30-2006, 12:33 PM
First name, always.

deltachi8
03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
just dont call me late for dinner.

Reds4Life
03-30-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty informal, first name is fine with me.

RedFanAlways1966
03-30-2006, 02:08 PM
1st name for me too.

Johnny Footstool
03-30-2006, 02:16 PM
I prefer first name, but it's nice to be called "Mr." at least once. I like people to call me Mister the first time they address me -- it shows respect. After that, I'll ask them to call me by my first name.

KronoRed
03-30-2006, 03:58 PM
I get Mr from kids, first name from people near 18

Damn kids.

creek14
03-30-2006, 05:01 PM
In the whole scheme of things it just so unimportant that I don't really care.

I'm not really hung up on people respecting me (or faking that they respect me) by calling me Mrs. just because of my age.

Puffy
03-30-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm not really hung up on people respecting me (or faking that they respect me) by calling me Mrs. just because of my age.

But you're only 26, and being a young babe people should probably just call you Creek, cause you're too young for Mrs. Creek.

:beerme:

bucksfan
03-30-2006, 05:53 PM
I am fine with 1st name in general, especially for other adults, but then again I kinda think that kids (say HS age and below perhaps) should refer to elders with Mr./Mrs./Ms./Miss etc unless they are told to do otherwise.

I mean, my daughter is now 4 and I cannot picture some kid in her class calling me by my 1st name. I really had not thought about it much though. To date, whenver someone mentions "Mr. bucksfan" I tend to look around and see who they are talking about!

vaticanplum
03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I think I would cry if anyone called me Mrs. anything.

I remember the first time I got addressed as "ma'am" instead of "miss". A dark, dark day.

KronoRed
03-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Yeah I got "sir" from a snotty teen at a parking garage.

Damn kids.

pedro
03-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Der Kommisar

TeamCasey
03-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Miss or Mrs by children. I really don't care for children calling adults by their first name. It's disrespectful.

Falls City Beer
03-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Admiral

KittyDuran
03-30-2006, 08:47 PM
How about family names such as Aunt or Uncle? My oldest sister is 10 years older than me and had her first child when she was 20 (and I was 10) so my nephew and his sister who is 3 years younger have always called me Cathy because the close ages- the other nieces and nephews tho' called me Aunt Cathy. I was always taught to respect elders which meant anyone older than the legal age. I also had a cousin who called her parents by their first names :p:. Heck, I didn't really know my parents first names until I was about 5 or 6 and only use them when we were in a crowd, and I was even older when I found out the first names of my grandparents.

I remember the first time I got addressed as "ma'am" instead of "miss". A dark, dark day.:laugh: You'd have a problem with me - I always address other women who I do not know as ma'am - even tho' it means an older woman, it helps solve the problem of not knowing if a woman is married or not (besides looking at her left hand). I address all men as sir instead of mister.

In the whole scheme of things it just so unimportant that I don't really care.You're right - but I personally rank this up high as part of my upbringing (well, that's what my parents hoped...;) )

Yachtzee
03-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Der Kommisar

Drah di' net um, oh-OH-oh.
Schau, Schau. Der Komissar geht um, oh-oh-OH!

KittyDuran
03-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Schau, Schau. Der Komissar geht um, oh-oh-OH!GRRRREAT... now I can't get that song or the video (After the Fire's version) out of my head! :p: ;)

vaticanplum
03-31-2006, 11:04 AM
You'd have a problem with me - I always address other women who I do not know as ma'am - even tho' it means an older woman, it helps solve the problem of not knowing if a woman is married or not (besides looking at her left hand). I address all men as sir instead of mister.

You know, when I think about it, I do too...I would never think of calling a girl miss, and I was a waitress for so long that I got very used to calling everybody ma'am and sir. I probably do it more than I should. And yet I still have such a problem with it when the tables are turned on me. Well, that makes no sense.

Ma'am just sounds OLD, doesn't it? Not just married but old-fashioned.

Chip R
03-31-2006, 11:54 AM
GRRRREAT... now I can't get that song or the video (After the Fire's version) out of my head! :p: ;)

This coming from someone who likes Duran Duran. ;)

Roy Tucker
03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
The first time someone called me Mr. Tucker, I looked around to see if my dad was there.

And it's all part of my upbringing as well. If I didn't call someones parents Mr. or Mrs., I got a whop on the back of the haid.

And frankly, I prefer it to some snot nose 9 yr. old calling me Roy, i.e. "naaaahhh kid, there is a hierarchy here, I'm the adult, you're the kid, and this is how it the game is played".

Otherwise it all gets complicated and I've already got enough complications in my life.

GAC
03-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Miss or Mrs by children. I really don't care for children calling adults by their first name. It's disrespectful.

Yep. It depends on who it is.

But if any of you call me "sir" on Monday I am gonna hit you with my cane. ;)

WVRed
03-31-2006, 05:53 PM

When I lived in Kentucky, outside of going to school, I had never called an adult by Mr or Mrs. Even in church, that was socially acceptable. Of course, it was a more rural area where we knew each other as well.

It may have been the way I was raised, but I believe you can talk to a person on a first name basis and still be respectful. On the other hand, I think that calling a person just by last name, such as "Hey Tucker!"(to use Roy, for example), unless its done in an acceptable circle, is just rude.

flyer85
03-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Schau, Schau. Der Komissar geht um, oh-oh-OH!Just cause you write French you think we can't figure it out?

redsfanmia
04-02-2006, 12:59 PM
I prefer to be called El Conquistador.

alex trevino
04-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Your Majesty