PDA

View Full Version : Athletes who tried to become enterainers

max venable
03-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Has it ever worked out?

Here are a few that come to mind:

Brian Bosworth...are you kidding me. Miserable failure in the NFL. Miserable failure in Hollywood. Whose idea was it to try to make an actor out of him?

Jim Brown...dude could run the football...dude can't act. Didn't work out, IMO.

Shaq...the movie thing...the rapping thing...all-around bad ideas.

Dick Butkus. What was the sitcom he was on? Was he a regular on something? I can't remember for sure...I just remember him being bad.

Any others come to mind?

Johnny Footstool
03-30-2006, 05:43 PM
The NFL has produced a few:

Merlin Olsen - TV's "Papa Murphy" and FTD spokesfellow

Fred Dryer - TV's "Hunter"

Alex Karras - George on TV's "Webster", the inimitable Mongo in "Blazing Saddles"

And who could forget famed entertainer O.J. Simpson, star of various car rental commercials, "Naked Gun" movies, and my favorite reality TV show of all time, "The O.J. Simpson Trial."

pedro
03-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Chuck Connors played professional basketball and baseball and was "The Rifleman" on TV.

max venable
03-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Chuck Connors played professional basketball and baseball and was "The Rifleman" on TV.
I'd say it worked out pretty good for Chuck Connors.

Alex Karras...that whole thing was bad.

I should've thought of O.J.

Falls City Beer
03-30-2006, 05:57 PM
O.J. also appeared in "Capricorn One" (fake moon landing or some nonsense) and "The Towering Inferno" (ah, the ensemble cast).

pedro
03-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Although he was a child actor too, I've heard Kurt Russell was a hell of a second baseman before injuries derailed his career.

edit:

Russell also had a baseball career (Russell's father had been a baseball player for a while). In the early 1970s, Russell played second base for the minor league franchise of the California Angels (now the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim). He led his league in hitting with a .563 batting average. During a play, he was hit in the shoulder by another player running to second base. The collision tore the rotator cuff in one of Russell's shoulders. The injury forced his retirement from baseball in 1973, and he returned to acting.

RBA
03-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Arnold? If you think Body Building is the same as athlete.

pedro
03-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Arnold? If you think Body Building is the same as athlete.

andre the giant?

westofyou
03-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Mike Dolan, King Kelly, Red Grange and Babe Ruth are some of the oldtimers.

RedsBaron
03-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Johnny Mack Brown starred for Alabama in the 1920s, including in the 1926 Rose Bowl, before becoming a star in "B" Hollywood westerns.
Joe Namath briefly had a TV series and made a couple of movies, including "Norwood" with Glen Campbell and "C.C. and Company" with Ann Margret.
Marion Michael Morrison played football at Southern Cal, before changing his name to John Wayne and having some success as an actor.
Burt Reynolds briefly played football at Florida State.
Mary Lou Retton appeared in "Scooged."
Namath and Don Drysdale both appeared in episodes of "The Brady Bunch."
Ed Marinaro nearly won the Heisman trophy before becoming an actor; he's best known for being in "Hill Street Blues."
Don Meredith made several TV movies back in the 1970s.

RedsBaron
03-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Carl Weathers played football at San Diego State and later briefly played with the Oakland Raiders; he's best known for his role as "Apollo Creed" in several "Rocky" movies.
I think that Ward Bond was a football teammate of John Wayne at USC. Bond went on to make several hundred films but is perhaps best known for his role in TV's "Wagon Train." Films Bond appeared in include "It Happened One Night," "The Informer," "Bringing Up Baby", "It's A Wonderful Life", "Gone With The Wind", "The Searchers", "The Quiet Man", "Fort Apache"and "Rio Bravo."

Griffey4Prez
03-30-2006, 06:59 PM
William "The Refrigerator" Perry lol, "The Rock"...I actually like The rock as an actor, hes not bad....

westofyou
03-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Bond went on to make several hundred films but is perhaps best known for his role in TV's "Wagon Train." Bond was also a steady player in the John Ford stable of actors, a good actor too.

He was the Captain/Preacher in The Searchers.

redsfanmia
03-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Brett Farve was great in There's something about Mary.

RedsBaron
03-30-2006, 07:16 PM
My youngest son loved "Space Jam" in which Michael Jordan played Michael Jordan.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was in "Airplane."
I'd guess that the greatest athlete who ever made a go of being an entertainer was Bugs Bunny. He was a terrific baseball player; who can forget Bugs beating the Gashouse Gorillas all by himself?

paintmered
03-30-2006, 07:17 PM
John McEnroe hosted a reality TV.

RedsBaron
03-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Bubba Smith was in several movies.
Merlin Olsen has already been mentioned. Both Olsen and his then Rams teammate Roman Gabriel appeared in John Wayne's "The Undefeated."
Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale abandoned baseball in the spring of 1966 for acting, until the Dodgers came up with a bit more money.

RedsBaron
03-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Elroy Hirsch, a star runningback with the Rams in the 1950s, made several movies.
Terry Bradshaw has been in a few movies.
Jackie Robinson played himself in "The Jackie Robinson Story."

RBA
03-30-2006, 07:31 PM
John Wayne?

redsfanmia
03-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Rosey Greir was fanstastic in The Man with Two Heads.

Blimpie
03-30-2006, 08:19 PM
O.J. also appeared in "Capricorn One" (fake moon landing or some nonsense) and "The Towering Inferno" (ah, the ensemble cast).You are forgetting the crown jewel of OJ's acting resume:

"Nordburg...must...kill...the...Queen!"

MrCinatit
03-30-2006, 08:20 PM
who could forget Pete Rose's portrayal of Ty Cobb in tv's Babe Ruth?
Bob Uecker and Pete Vuckovich were in Major League.
Lou Gehrig was in a B-Western called Raw Hide.
Danny Tartabull, Paul O'Neill and Joe Torre were on Seinfeld when George was working with the Yankees.

alex trevino
03-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Johnny Bench tried his hand at signing country music with the predictable result

KittyDuran
03-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan...? :)

RedsBaron
03-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Ex-Bengal Mike Reid has had some success as a song writer, primarily in country music.

max venable
03-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Danny Tartabull, Paul O'Neill and Joe Torre were on Seinfeld when George was working with the Yankees.
And, of course, Keith Hernandez and Roger McDowell in the famous "spitting" episode.

But really, the intention was to talk more about guys who really tried to make a go of an entertainment career...not just guys making cameo apperances.

That said...I loved Andre the Giant in The Princes Bride. :thumbup:

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-30-2006, 11:19 PM
johnny bench has done a lot ov tv---look up imdb.com--even did an episode of mission impossible

Johnny Footstool
03-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Joe Namath briefly had a TV series and made a couple of movies, including "Norwood" with Glen Campbell and "C.C. and Company" with Ann Margret.

Joe Namath was also in "Chattanooa Choo-Choo," quite possibly the best football-team-on-a-train movie of all time.

savafan
03-31-2006, 12:59 AM
Bob Uecker

Was great in Mr. Belvedere, as well as many beer commercials.

Does Chuck Norris count?

Drake Hogestyn of Days of Our Lives played minor league ball with the Yankees until an injury ended his playing career.

Tony Danza was a boxer.

Buster Crabbe won gold in the 400 metre freestyle at the 1932 Olympics.

Rick Fox has appeared in a handful of films.

Bob Hope started out as an amateur boxer. He also played some golf.

Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini and Jake LaMotta have also done some film work.

Who could forget Cam Neely as Sea Bass?

And last, but not least, Fred "The Hammer" Williamson.

RedsBaron
03-31-2006, 06:27 AM
If you consider being a circus acrobat an athlete, then Burt Lancaster makes the list. He was an acrobat as a youth before suffering an injury.

RedsBaron
03-31-2006, 06:31 AM
Fighting as Kid Crochet, Dino Paul Crocetti had an early career as a boxer. He once said he won all but 11 of 12 fights.
He later gave up his boxing career and changed his name to Dean Martin. He achieved some limited success in music, movies, TV and nightclubs.

GAC
03-31-2006, 06:58 AM
Kirk Douglas (Didn't he start out as a trapeze performer in a circus?)

How about actors that think they are athletes? ;)

Like Kevin Costner.

RedsBaron
03-31-2006, 08:11 AM
NFL Pro Bowl tackle Bob Golic has, since his retirement, tried to make a career in entertainment. He had a role in TV's "Saved By The Bell: The College Years", among other ventures.

max venable
03-31-2006, 09:22 AM
John Daly released a CD in 2002. It was a fundraiser for the Make-a-Wish Foundation. He sang on all 11 tracks. He got help from famous friends, including Willie Nelson and Darius Rucker. Daly's singing is horrible, which he even admits.

RedsBaron
03-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Michael Landon was a track and field athlete in college, specializing in the javelin, before he began riding on the Ponderosa.

RBA
03-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Didn't Lyle Alzado have a sitcom where he was a wrestler?

savafan
03-31-2006, 11:53 AM

I don't know about that, but he was in "Ernest Goes to Camp"

Dom Heffner
03-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Johnny Bench tried his hand at signing country music with the predictable result

I was not aware that Bench worked with the deaf.

Hap
03-31-2006, 09:52 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094496/

LEARNING THE ROPES

Steve4192
04-01-2006, 01:26 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fred Williamson or Bernie Casey.

I also think you have vastly undervalued Jim Brown's acting career. During the late 1960s and early 1970s, Jim was probably the largest african-american draw in hollywood and even had some crossover success in mainstream films. The sucess of his movies was one of the primary reasons the studios cranked out so many 'blaxploitation' films during that period. Jim Brown was a serious moneymaker for the studios.

Hap
04-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Jim was probably the largest african-american draw in hollywood and even had some crossover success in mainstream films.

The final thirty minutes of The Dirty Dozen is one of the finest action sequences in the history of cinema.

savafan
04-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Fred Williamson

Wait, I did.

max venable
04-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Jack McDowell had a rock band. It sucked.

Check out some of his lyrics: The following comes from the track "My Prey": "You see I was born this way. Born to stalk you down. But you could have hid away. Found a bush or stayed away. From my newly raised town." Enough said. :p:

savafan
04-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Nobody mentioned Bronson Arroyo.

redsfanmia
04-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Fighting as Kid Crochet, Dino Paul Crocetti had an early career as a boxer. He once said he won all but 11 of 12 fights.
He later gave up his boxing career and changed his name to Dean Martin. He achieved some limited success in music, movies, TV and nightclubs.
And now you know the rest of the story. Good day

ochre
04-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Burt Reynolds?

Johnny Weissmuller?

max venable
04-01-2006, 09:20 PM
You guys ever wonder if people ever actually read the threads before they post in them?

:)

KronoRed
04-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Didn't Deion try something like this?

redsfanmia
04-02-2006, 01:02 PM
I just thought of a great example of this, Charlie Pride. He played in the Negro Leagues and dreamed of playing in the bigs but alas followed his musical dreams instead.

redsfanmia
04-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Didn't Deion try something like this?
Deion had an album and toured with MC Hammer as I recall. His one "big" song was called Must be the Money.

Falls City Beer
04-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Deion had an album and toured with MC Hammer as I recall. His one "big" song was called Must be the Money.

Great video.

savafan
04-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Dennis Rodman?

Handofdeath
05-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Bill Cosby attended Temple on a track scholarship and played football there also.

Don Meredith
Sammy Baugh
A lot of the old boxers used to do vaudeville.

Betterread
05-12-2006, 09:28 PM
How about Eric Cantona (Man U. prolific striker and kung-fu kicker) as monsieur de Foix in "Elizabeth" which won Kate Blanchett worldwide fame. The trade rumour was that co-star Christopher Eccleston lobbied for Cantona's casting because he was a huge Man U fan. Cantona's acting career since has been limited to football oriented commercials such as the "joga Bonito" series of advertisements on Fox sports.

captainmorgan07
05-13-2006, 11:16 AM
mark harmon of ncis played qb at ucla for a few years and his dad was heisman trophy winner

Falls City Beer
05-13-2006, 11:21 AM
By the way OJ has a new reality comedy show called "Juiced." Apparently on one episode he tried to sell his white Ford Bronco as a prank. The Brown and Goldman families weren't happy.

Johnny Vander m
05-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Conway Twitty.

TeamBoone
05-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Howie Long has made a few movies... and I really like him as an actor. I do not, however, think he has any aspersions of becoming an actor. I think he does it more as a hobby (those Radio Shack commercials too). He likes his day job too much.

Ken Griffey Jr has done a couple cameos.

Troy Aikman did an episode of Coach. I can't remember if he played himself or a college recruit.

Hulk Hogan had a TV series at one time (costarring with Jack Lemon's son) but I can't remember the name of it. I do remember that I watched it (liked it) and that he drove a kick-:mooner: boat!

Oh, I just thought of another... Dean Cain. IIRC, he was a pretty good QB at either USC or UCLA.

UPDATE: I just thought of a few more... Don Meredith? Esther Williams (swimmer?), Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Falls City Beer
05-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Don Drysdale did a cameo on the Brady Bunch.

Oops, I see RedsBaron mentioned this on page one. NM.

max venable
05-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Don Drysdale did a cameo on the Brady Bunch.

Oops, I see RedsBaron mentioned this on page one. NM.
What famous athlete from the 70's didn't do a cameo on The Brady Bunch?

Steve4192
05-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Hulk Hogan had a TV series at one time (costarring with Jack Lemon's son) but I can't remember the name of it. I do remember that I watched it (liked it) and that he drove a kick-:mooner: boat!
The show was "Thunder in Paradise". Thanks for mentioning that his sidekick was Jack Lemon's son. Every time I watched that show I spent most of my time wondering 'why does this guy look so damn familiar'? It bugged the heck out of me.

Oh, I just thought of another... Dean Cain. IIRC, he was a pretty good QB at either USC or UCLA.
He played safety at Princeton in the late 1980s. Led the nation in interceptions in his senior year.

CySeymour
05-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Estella Warren use to be a world class synchronized swimmer.

StillFunkyB
05-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Does Chuck Norris count?

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits. ;)

RichRed
05-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Ed Marinaro nearly won the Heisman trophy before becoming an actor; he's best known for being in "Hill Street Blues."

Michael Warren is another 'Hill Street Blues' cast member who was an athlete - he was a starting guard on UCLA's basketball team.

TRF
05-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Bill Goldberg played football for the Falcons. He's had a few movie roles.

gonelong
05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Johnny Weissmuller was one of the world's best swimmers in the 1920s, winning five Olympic gold medals and one bronze medal. He won fifty-two US National Championships and set sixty-seven world records. After his swimming career, he played Tarzan in twelve motion pictures.

GL