PDA

View Full Version : Selig Must Go (poll)

Redleg75
03-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Yes!!!

Chip R
03-31-2006, 09:29 AM
I thought we'd have a choice where he chould go.

KearnsyEars
03-31-2006, 09:43 AM
no.

he is highly chastized and I admire him. I feel that although he is a geek, he's done a fine job at dealing with many tough matters that NO OTHER baseball commissioner has had to. I think fans and society are way too hard on this guy. I like Selig.

Heath
03-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Its not even fair for TeamSelig to know about the situation. TS should at least get to voice an opinion before the RZ'ers go after the kill. I mean, to vote a prominent member of the board off the RZ island is plain asinine...oh...whoops....wrong "Selig"

:D

westofyou
03-31-2006, 09:55 AM
he's done a fine job at dealing with many tough matters that NO OTHER baseball commissioner has had to.

Like what?

Other than steroids (which he kept in the closet until it Hulked out and escaped) he hasn't had to deal with one thing another Commish hasn't had to deal with.

None of them owned a team while they did it and none of the others canceled a season either.

I'd love to hear what Bud has done (other than make a giant profit off a team that he was a minority owner of in the begining)

kbrake
03-31-2006, 10:00 AM
I'd love to hear what Bud has done (other than make a giant profit off a team that he was a minority owner of in the begining)

Called the All-Star game while it was still tied.......ok guess that is another point for you.

BRM
03-31-2006, 10:04 AM

Bud's supporters will tout the Wild Card and Interleague play.

westofyou
03-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Natural progression with the number of teams and the thought was well entrenched in the Back and Forths before Bud even brought it to Baseball.

Howdy Doody was a star, but he had a hand up his rear directing his every move, MLB is Buffalo Bob in this instance.

puca
03-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Natural progression with the number of teams and the thought was well entrenched in the Back and Forths before Bud even brought it to Baseball.

Howdy Doody was a star, but he had a hand up his rear directing his every move, MLB is Buffalo Bob in this instance.

Oh my, that's funny. And if by MLB you mean the (other) owners, I agree.

minus5
03-31-2006, 11:46 AM

I like the wild card....I HATE interleague play and wish it would go away.

Jr's Boy
03-31-2006, 11:50 AM
I 'm drafting another fantasy team today.Team name:Seligs a joke.

tsj017
03-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Not that I was a big Fay Vincent fan, but back when the owners showed him the door, I knew that Bad Things would result.

So what happened? They made an owner commissioner! Which, of course, was the plan all along. Bud's just the "interim" commissioner, while they search high and low for the perfect guy. After an exhaustive, years-long search, they decide that, lo and behold, Bud is just the guy they're looking for!

Yeah, right.

Interleague play was a gimmick, and the novelty has long since worn off. The wild card is probably Bud's best claim to success, but it also leads to things like the 2002 World Series, with two second-place teams facing off. Not that it was a bad series, but it was still two teams that weren't able to win their divisions over 162 games.

Oh, and Bud gave us the 70-home-run season. That's worked out really well, hasn't it? It's not like he and the owners were pushing steroids on the players, but they were certainly willing to turn a blind eye to it. I doubt that even now he's launching this investigation for the integrity of the game; it's more because the baseball public (and corporate sponsors) can see that the situation stinks to high heaven.

RedsManRick
03-31-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm not fan of Selig, but I'm not sure anybody else will be better. The Wild Card is good, the All-Star debacle was the managers' fault - not his, I'm not sure any other commish would've prevented the steroid development, and to his credit he has twisted the player's association, which is inordinately strong, in to a very aggressive anti-steroid policy.

Could he be doing things better? Of course. But who do you propose take his place?

Chip R
03-31-2006, 12:06 PM

He deserves credit for getting that approved but they were hardly innovative - and some would argue they weren't necessary.

registerthis
03-31-2006, 12:10 PM
He deserves credit for getting that approved but they were hardly innovative - and some would argue they weren't necessary.

I guess it depends on how you define "necessary". With baseball expanding to 30 teams, implementing a wild card system just makes sense. Considering some of the phenomenal WC races we've seen, and the fact that two WC teams have won the WS, I think at this point the WC can be considered "necessary."

Now the DH? An entirely different matter. :)

BRM
03-31-2006, 01:03 PM

I actually like the Wild Card but I've never really been a fan of interleague play.

KronoRed
03-31-2006, 02:27 PM
He should go for 4 things, 2 teams too many, interleague play, not abolishing the DH and encouraging the sports steroid problem.

UKFlounder
03-31-2006, 06:37 PM
But without Bud, would the All-Star game "mean" anything like it does now? ;)

Izzardius
03-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Selig did turn a blind eye to drug abuse in baseball, but remember he was all but powerless to do anything about it until recently. It wasn't until Congress threatened to get involved that things really began to change. I also think he deserves some credit for the Wild Card and the WBC.

Jpup
04-01-2006, 02:21 AM
Selig did turn a blind eye to drug abuse in baseball, but remember he was all but powerless to do anything about it until recently. It wasn't until Congress threatened to get involved that things really began to change. I also think he deserves some credit for the Wild Card and the WBC.

he was the commisioner in 1998, he could have done something then. it's no different than it is now. He's ready to do an investigation that should have been done, at least, 7 years ago.

oneupper
04-01-2006, 07:22 PM
I actually like the Wild Card but I've never really been a fan of interleague play.

Interleague play was a great opportunity (lost) to get the other league (AL) to play "real baseball" (no DH).

Didn't happen :thumbdown

Izzardius
04-02-2006, 03:04 PM
he was the commisioner in 1998, he could have done something then. it's no different than it is now. He's ready to do an investigation that should have been done, at least, 7 years ago.

What could he have done in 98? There was no steroid policy back then, and at that time the union wouldn't have allowed it. I'm not saying he's a saint, but he certainly shouldn't bear all the blame.

KronoRed
04-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Interleague play was a great opportunity (lost) to get the other league (AL) to play "real baseball" (no DH).

Didn't happen :thumbdown
More then likely we'll see the DH in the NL first.