PDA

View Full Version : Cable Tv rates keep going up

savafan
03-31-2006, 01:35 PM
:bang:

I can't believe that I am now paying $55 a month just so I can see 24, Lost and sports. That's just basic cable, not the snazzy digital variety.

Ridiculous...:angry:

Joseph
03-31-2006, 01:37 PM
My DirecTV bill just got upped by 3$ a month last month as well, so I think we are paying 44$ a month now for TV when all I watch are the Reds, the Simpsons, a little Comedy Central, and Toon Networks Adult Swim. Well intermixed with the occasional movie or haunted show.

Heath
03-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Try DISH - I have the rabbit ears for Back-up.

after I pay for MLB extra innings and average it out over 12 months - I pay about $52/month for the Top 120 & Music. I do not have any movie channels.

I've had Dish for 3 years. I have had ONE price increase in 3 years.

KronoRed
03-31-2006, 03:30 PM
DTV is actually still cheaper then dish, they keep it pretty close being the only sat guys in the business.

Cable just plain sucks.

03-31-2006, 06:52 PM
DTV is actually still cheaper then dish, they keep it pretty close being the only sat guys in the business.

Cable just plain sucks.

I was ready to go to DTV thius spring, until Dish rolled out their Hi Def package- currently it is the best out there, although DTV will probably roll out something comparable, too.

vaticanplum
03-31-2006, 07:25 PM
:bang:

I can't believe that I am now paying $55 a month just so I can see 24, Lost and sports. That's just basic cable, not the snazzy digital variety.

Ridiculous...:angry:

Aren't those all on network TV?

You could try going without them...I know it's tough, but liveable. You'd be surprised how well you can do it when forced to. My NETWORK tv doesn't even work, as I broke my antenna during the Bengals-Steelers playoff game and now it only even remotely comes in on about 2 channels if someone holds onto the antenna with a frying pan in the other hand. anyway...point being...if those three things are why you have cable, why not just ditch it?

savafan
03-31-2006, 07:53 PM
anyway...point being...if those three things are why you have cable, why not just ditch it?

Obviously you don't watch 24 or Lost.

KronoRed
03-31-2006, 09:05 PM
*cough*download em*cough*

Reds4Life
03-31-2006, 09:06 PM
My cable bill is a joke too, but Time Warner has a catch. If you don't have their cable service they won't sell you Roadrunner. :rolleyes:

I'd like Dish Network, but then I'd have to downgrade my internet service. :(

Yachtzee
03-31-2006, 09:15 PM
My cable bill is a joke too, but Time Warner has a catch. If you don't have their cable service they won't sell you Roadrunner. :rolleyes:

I'd like Dish Network, but then I'd have to downgrade my internet service. :(

Really? I was able to get rid of my Time Warner Cable TV and not lose Road Runner service. I got angry with them when they raised my rates over $20 in six months and said I would get a break only if I signed up for their VoIP phone service. I said no thanks, kept the Road Runner and dumped the cable tv for Direct TV.

vaticanplum
03-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Obviously you don't watch 24 or Lost.

Ahhh...I mis-stated my point. Which is, aren't those shows on network tv, and so why do you need cable?

Reds4Life
03-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Really? I was able to get rid of my Time Warner Cable TV and not lose Road Runner service. I got angry with them when they raised my rates over $20 in six months and said I would get a break only if I signed up for their VoIP phone service. I said no thanks, kept the Road Runner and dumped the cable tv for Direct TV.

Last time I called that was the policy, no cable = no RoadRunner. Perhaps they changed it? Hmmmmmmm, now I'm gonna have to call again. ;)

Yachtzee
03-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Last time I called that was the policy, no cable = no RoadRunner. Perhaps they changed it? Hmmmmmmm, now I'm gonna have to call again. ;)

Or maybe they changed the policy after I got out. If they told me that, I would probably have said, "So you want to lose me as both a Cable TV and Cable Internet customer? DSL here I come! (Even if I didn't intend to get DSL)." I've had someone tell me that Time Warner told them that if they weren't a cable subscriber they couldn't get cable Internet because they couldn't block the TV signal without blocking the Internet traffic as well. That's a bunch of bull. I'm doing fine without the TV subscription. Up here, I could buy everthing as a package, or get each service "a la carte." For me, the threat was that I would no longer save $10 a month on Road Runner. I said it didn't matter if it saved me $30 a month on TV.

I know Direct TV also offers Internet service, but I gather that it's still pretty expensive. Good luck