PDA

View Full Version : Twins' Liriano charged with DUI

CTA513
03-31-2006, 04:04 PM
I was on the Twins board and saw this article.

Twins' Liriano charged with DUI

FORT MYERS, Fla. Twins lefthander Francisco Liriano was arrested by the Cape Coral Police Department early Thursday and charged with driving under the influence.
Liriano was pulled over at 1:58 a.m. after leaving a Cape Coral bar. He was driving alone at the time. The Web site of the Lee County Sheriff's office said he was booked at 5:33 a.m. and was released at 10:01 a.m. on a $500 bond. He's scheduled to appear in county court at 1 p.m. on Apr. 17.

A police report was not available as of Friday morning, so his blood alcohol level was unavailable, but the Twins alerted the media to the situation Friday morning before their game against Pittsburgh.

"I feel like I made a mistake and I have to pay for it,'' a nervous Liriano said. "I have to be responsible for what I did. Im really sorry for what happend.... I made a big mistake.''

Twins general manager Terry Ryan said the club will stand behind Liriano but hopes he and other players understand how serious the matter is and learn from it. Liriano will not be suspended or fined. and it will not affect his on-field status with the club.

"This is serious and we are obviously embarrassed about it, as is he,'' Ryan said. "Were going to let the letter of the law take effect here and see what the consequences are and so forth.

"Were going to stand behind him. He made a mistake. He is a young man. I am embarassed about it. It puts us in a bad spot.''

http://www.startribune.com/509/story/342823.html

Dom Heffner
03-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Just drafted this guy 10 minutes before the story broke. Ugh.

Heath
03-31-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm shocked they knew he was driving around Cape Coral drunk. Sounds like most of the drivers out in that neck of the woods.

:D

Heath
03-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Just drafted this guy 10 minutes before the story broke. Ugh.

Try a NL-only league. I do.

westofyou
03-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Trade em for Freel

KronoRed
03-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Womack for him.

Reds1
03-31-2006, 09:49 PM
I got him too! He's tough. I wondered when I first heard if he was depresed he didn't make the rotation. I don't think so. Just when out for a drink and another and another. Well, actually who knows. There is a big crack down on DUI in some states and you don't have to blow very hard to get a DUI. Not sure, but I think it's .08 here in IN. Maybe a wake-up call.

cincinnati chili
04-01-2006, 10:34 AM
There was a clear spot in my keeper league draft when I had to choose between him or Jon Papelbon. I picked him because of his "ceiling," then immediately regretted it.

Maturity matters as much as "stuff," and fortunately he didn't kill anybody.