PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Reds Preview

HalMorrisRules
03-31-2006, 04:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview06/teams/preview?team=cin

While hardly comprehensive, not exactly a pretty picture painted by ESPN.

Blimpie
03-31-2006, 04:30 PM
I've heard of a "gym rat" before in the sport of basketball. I guess, now the Reds have the first "baseball rat" in Bergolla.

Heath
03-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Eric Karabell & Phil Raisor.

Separated at birth -

Just sayin'......

Blimpie
03-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Nice to see that 8 out of 10 ESPN heads pick the Reds to finish dead last in the NL Central. Did I miss something that Pittsburgh did during the off season that would vault them past the Reds? :rolleyes:

Heath
03-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Nice to see that 8 out of 10 ESPN heads pick the Reds to finish dead last in the NL Central. Did I miss something that Pittsburgh did during the off season that would vault them past the Reds? :rolleyes:

Yeah, they traded for Sean Casey, the designated hugger.

Chip R
03-31-2006, 04:36 PM

Dude, they added Sean Casey. Isn't that enough?

Rotater Cuff
03-31-2006, 04:37 PM
As a contrarian, I would bet big bucks on the reds finishing higher than 5th. Especially after this Spring. (2nd best record in the majors in Spring)

RedsManRick
03-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Look at it this way -- we can't be worse than they expect...

Blimpie
03-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Dude, they added Sean Casey. Isn't that enough?Yeah, but they LOST Dave Williams!!!! Just kidding, Casey was where I was heading with that one. I looked to paste his cranium in my original post, but it looks as though the mods also traded his disembodied dome to the steel city....

Larry Schuler
03-31-2006, 05:07 PM
You want to know why everyone is ragging on the Reds? Simple. There is nothing to gain by hyping the Reds. Once the Reds start to do semi-ok you'll see a lot of anchors and writers re-trace their steps and claim to have "known Cincinnati had some potential". It's one big ego trip.

deltachi8
03-31-2006, 05:49 PM

they actually have something that resembles a major league pitching staff?

Falls City Beer
03-31-2006, 05:53 PM
they actually have something that resembles a major league pitching staff?

Really? I'm not defending the Reds by saying this, but--the Pirates rotation is nothing but potential and question marks plus injuries.

I think the Pirates will be awful again.

Izzardius
03-31-2006, 06:28 PM
The Pirates have a lot of good pitching coming up from the minors(Malholm, Duke, etc.), plus Oliver Perez. They will be a little bit better, but nowhere near what they need to contend.

Blimpie
03-31-2006, 07:11 PM
they actually have something that resembles a major league pitching staff?The Pirates have essentially the same pitching staff that finished six games behind the Reds last year in the standings, no?

RedsManRick
03-31-2006, 07:21 PM
The Pirates have essentially the same pitching staff that finished six games behind the Reds last year in the standings, no?

Must we point out yet again that they added Sean Casey!? They also swapped Lawton for Burnitz and Randa for Freddy Sanchez.

In terms of pitching they actually lost their closer (Mesa), and 3 starters who combined for 83 starts (Fogg, Redman, and Wililams).

Quite frankly, they are expecting an awful lot from Snell, Duke, Maholm, and Santos. Heck, Oliver Perez had a 5.85 ERA last year. Their rotation has a lot of talent, but is very young and unproven. They'll need Duke and Maholm in particular to live up to their potential quickly.

kbrake
04-01-2006, 12:29 AM
The Pirates have essentially the same pitching staff that finished six games behind the Reds last year in the standings, no?

Well the Pirates rotation is still young and should improve. Outside of Harang and Claussen I think we know very well what we are getting from the Reds rotation. And it wont be pretty.

NastyBoy
04-01-2006, 11:59 AM
It could be "1999" in pittsburgh in 2006. Casey is the last starter from the 1999 team. Maybe he can bring back the magic.

NatiRedGals
04-02-2006, 10:04 AM
You want to know why everyone is ragging on the Reds? Simple. There is nothing to gain by hyping the Reds. Once the Reds start to do semi-ok you'll see a lot of anchors and writers re-trace their steps and claim to have "known Cincinnati had some potential". It's one big ego trip.

Yep, never ever listen to people who do sports talk or weather man at lol. No matter what if they were wrong they will change if they were right see we were right all along! Great quote Baumer One Big Ego Trip!:thumbup:

StillFunkyB
04-02-2006, 12:33 PM
I am pretty sure I would rather have a young rotation with potential like the Pirates than what the Reds currently have.

jmcclain19
04-02-2006, 02:14 PM
All of the ESPN talking heads on that preview have the Giants as first or 2nd in the West this year. And San Fran might honestly be one of the worst teams in the NL this year. That tells me just about all I need to know about it.

Raisor
04-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Eric Karabell & Phil Raisor.

Separated at birth -

Just sayin'......

Mom and dad never said anything about me having a brother.

Blimpie
04-02-2006, 04:20 PM
I am pretty sure I would rather have a young rotation with potential like the Pirates than what the Reds currently have.All potential is good for is getting managers fired.

wire2wire90
04-02-2006, 09:46 PM
We just need the pitching staff to be average, not awful. I mean, Milton can't be as bad this year, can he? :help:

BTW... that Gillette guy needs to use a Gillette. Worst beard evar!