PDA

View Full Version : Luke Hudson wins spot in KC Bullpen

savafan
04-01-2006, 10:48 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14237621.htm

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

HOUSTON — Right-hander Luke Hudson, discarded earlier this spring by Cincinnati, has won a spot in the Royals’ bullpen.

“It just came down to his stuff, basically,” manager Buddy Bell said. “That and he’s got a little experience in the big leagues. His stuff has always been good. We’re just hoping his command continues to get better.”

The decision leaves three other right-handers competing for the final bullpen spot in the final hours before tonight’s deadline for filing a 25-man roster: Steve Andrade, Joel Peralta and Steve Stemle.

The Royals informed Hudson that he will make the club but have yet to make it official by creating an opening on their 40-man organizational roster. Hudson, 28, signed a minor-league contract March 13 after being released by the Reds.

“Obviously, I’m happy,” said Hudson, who won the job by giving up just one run and five hits in six innings over five spring appearances.

“It’s been a crazy spring training for me.”

Hudson pitched primarily as a starter in his eight previous professional seasons and went 10-11 with a 4.92 ERA in 31 career big-league games, including 25 starts, in three seasons with the Reds.

“I’ve done both,” he said. “A lot of starters want to stay starters. And I fought it last year (in Cincinnati) when they moved me. But I’m comfortable there now. I like it.”

Hudson’s possesses a fastball that reaches the low 90s with movement and a big curve and shows good motion on his change-up. His problem has always been a lack of command. He has 81 walks in 139 career big-league innings, and 265 in 672 2/3 innings while pitching in the minors.

Greinke to DL

The Royals plan to put pitcher Zack Greinke on the 15-day disabled list tonight when they set their 25-man roster for opening day. Pitchers Runelvys Hernandez, Mark Redman and Mike MacDougal will also open the season on the DL.

General manager Allard Baird confirmed the club’s intention to put Greinke on the disabled list. That indicates Greinke, who left camp Feb. 25, has been diagnosed with a specific medical condition while undergoing psychological counseling near his home in Orlando, Fla.

Ambres clears waivers

Outfielder Chip Ambres cleared waivers and now must decide whether to accept an outright assignment to the minors. He was designated for assignment Tuesday after getting just nine hits in 50 spring at-bats.

Ambres can choose to become a free agent by refusing the assignment.

“Right now, I just want to sit back and see what’s out there,” he said, “If nothing develops, I’ll go to Triple-A and try to work my way back with the Royals.”

Valdez traded

The Royals sent veteran utility infielder Wilson Valdez to the Los Angeles Dodgers for minor-league pitcher Jarod Plummer, a 21-year-old right-hander.

Valdez, 27, spent much of the spring in big-league camp and batted .517 with 15 hits in 29 at-bats. He was reassigned last Monday to minor-league camp.

Plummer, 6 feet 5 and 200 pounds, is a four-year professional who spent the last three years in Class A. He is 14-12 with a 3.57 ERA in 62 career games, including 29 starts. He will be assigned to Class AA Wichita.

“We think he’s a good-sized kid with some upside,” assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson said.

Back in Arizona

Right-hander Denny Bautista is scheduled to throw 75-85 pitches Sunday in a minor-league game in Surprise, Ariz., as a tuneup for his first regular-season start a week from today against the White Sox.

Bautista will fly to Kansas City on Sunday night and attend the season opener Monday against the Detroit Tigers at Kauffman Stadium.

Hernandez threw 85 pitches Thursday in a minor-league game.

“He was able to hold his stuff,” general manager Allard Baird said. “That was encouraging. His command was still a little off.”

Redman had hoped to pitch four innings today as part of his recovery from knee surgery. Instead, he will be limited to three 15-pitch innings against minor-league hitters. It will be his first game action since undergoing arthroscopic surgery March 6 to repair torn cartilage in his left knee.

Etc.

■ Royals owner David Glass threw out the first pitch from the mound. It was a strike.

■ Emil Brown has reached base six straight times after going two for two with a walk.

■ Esteban German stole second in the sixth inning for his 11th steal in 12 attempts.

Heath
04-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Well, Krono probably would have won a spot in the KC bullpen. It's the next reality show - 'American League Bullpen Idol' - Buddy Bell says "You're Fired".

redsfan30
04-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Alot of people thought he should have been in the Reds bullpen all along. The Reds were just afraid to do it because of his past arm troubles.

Hopefully the Reds didn't make a mistake in not trying what Kansas City is trying.

RedsManRick
04-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Or maybe it was the fact that he had a 6.38 ERA and a 53/50 K to walk ratio in 84 IP last year. He'll be 29 in May, he's not a prospect anymore. In his first 4 innings in ST, he walked 4 guys. He's got some good stuff, but he's not a good pitcher because he can't control it.

traderumor
04-01-2006, 11:40 AM
His stuff has always been good. We’re just hoping his command continues to get better.That sounds familiar. Welcome to Luke Hudson's world, that's just who he is and it is highly unlikely that it is going to change no matter how many bad organizations help him along on his quest for the holy grail of command.

KronoRed
04-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Well, Krono probably would have won a spot in the KC bullpen.
Dude I'm a solid vet.

deltachi8
04-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Are you scrappy enough though, Krono?

KronoRed
04-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Well now I am a big lacking in the scrappy, I've heard you don't really learn that till you hit 40 :evil:

Reds1
04-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Not sure what that says about the KC staff to pick up our scrap and now making the team.