PDA

View Full Version : Just the Devil Rays being the Devil Rays, Branyan sent to minor league camp

savafan
04-01-2006, 09:15 PM
http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&lastline=171784&id=2723

Devil Rays assigned 3B Russell Branyan and 3B Greg Norton to minor league camp.
Then why'd they even sign Branyan in the first place? Just to hurt his chances of helping another team this year? Branyan was limited by a back injury this spring, but he hit extremely well when he was in the lineup. He's also a better defender than Aubrey Huff at third base. Branyan could help nearly every team in baseball, the Rays especially. Instead, Tampa Bay will go with a bottom half of the lineup that features little in the way of on-base skills or power.

TeamBoone
04-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Maybe it's because of his back? No, they'd put him on the DL.

I like Branyan... seems he's often gotten the short end of the stick.

OnBaseMachine
04-02-2006, 12:03 AM
While Russ is far from being a great player, I feel that he is underrated. For a guy with a career .807 major league OPS he sure does get undervalued by a lot of teams. He hit .257/.378/.490 last year with Milwaukee and belted 12 homeruns in only 202 atbats. Every team could use a guy like Branyan to come off the bench, and he would be an upgrade at 1B or 3B for some teams(including the Reds at 1B).

WVRed
04-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't think there will ever be a future in Tampa Bay.

The moves they make are baffling, to say the least. Why BJ Upton, Chad Orvella, and Delmon Young are not on the major league roster when this team needs a major influx of talent to compete is beyond me.

Raisor
04-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Much better team with Russ starting for the Reds and Hatteberg pinch hitting.

oh well.

captainmorgan07
04-02-2006, 03:58 PM
nah i'd rather have hatteberg than branyan he strikes out to much its' all or nottin with him

OnBaseMachine
04-02-2006, 04:00 PM
nah i'd rather have hatteberg than branyan he strikes out to much its' all or nottin with him

Strikeouts are just another out.

Give me Russ over Hatteberg any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

KronoRed
04-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't think there will ever be a future in Tampa Bay.
Hmm..anyone think they are keeping the prospects quiet so they are cheaper for the other teams in a dispersal FA draft?

The_jbh
04-04-2006, 03:01 AM
Strikeouts are just another out.

Give me Russ over Hatteberg any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

uhhh disagree

Ground balls can advance runners to third (and yes i know cause double plays but im being positive.)

Sac flies

case example one: Encarnacion's 3rd K in the 8th. If that had been put anywhere in play except the corners or a infield fly griffey scores. Hell this whole game is an example. If all the cubs struckout, the reds wouldn't have made errors and letting runners on...

Sea Ray
04-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Those of you who gush over OPS and ignore things like strike outs are missing the boat. The truth is Branyan could have been signed by any team but the Devil Rays were about the only one who wanted him. The reason being he strikes out too much to warrant regular playing time and he's too inconsistent to be a decent PH. Branyan being sent to the minor league camp is a non story. It happens every year to this guy.

Ravenlord
04-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Branyan...Craig Wilson...Choi...Pena....if i was an AL team, there's the basis of my at worst league average offense......*

i know i'd think this sober too

vaticanplum
04-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Relevant to absolutely nothing, I just want to point out that I have a new favorite player. He plays for the Devil Rays and his name is Nick Green. For some reason I really like him. Plus he's terrible, and he warms the bench in Florida as a utility infielder, so I figure it's only a matter of time before he ends up in Cincinnati.

Heath
04-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Relevant to absolutely nothing, I just want to point out that I have a new favorite player. He plays for the Devil Rays and his name is Nick Green. For some reason I really like him. Plus he's terrible, and he warms the bench in Florida as a utility infielder, so I figure it's only a matter of time before he ends up in Cincinnati.

Maybe its the way he walks, the way he talks.

Or, the way the sunlight plays on his hair.

Team Clark
04-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Russ was not 100% physically. He did rake at certain times during the spring. He still has a lot of pop in his bat. You know exactly what you are going to get with Branyan when you bring him to camp.