PDA

View Full Version : MLB Gameday Audio

duh_vinci
04-03-2006, 02:14 PM
I work on a Mac and am trying to get Gameday Audio working. I had it working last year on this same rig, but it just will NOT play this year. Using WMP 9 plugin with Firefox and all I get is a window with the MLB logo and the junky WMP player interface.

Anyone else having issues so I can blame MLB instead of my own stupidity? :)

Arg, I need my fix of Opening Day!!!

sigep529
04-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Anybody have any links to a free audio stream?

I have XM... but I can't get a signal in the office, and XM doesn't offer baseball on the internet.

registerthis
04-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Nope, I was getting feeds from it over the weekend, they switched to a new player and nowit's not working. Unbelieveably frustrating, i don't know why they wait until Opening Day to rollout their Next Big Thing.

I'm trying to reach their customer service line.

duh_vinci
04-03-2006, 02:29 PM
This is ridiculous. I think I shall send them a nice email filled with constructive criticism. :)

registerthis
04-03-2006, 02:36 PM
I've been on hold with them about 20 minutes now, evidently many people are experiencing this problem.

This is stupidity to the highest degree. These are the kind of kinks youw ork out during spring training, not on Opening Day. Ridiculous.

Doc. Scott
04-03-2006, 02:36 PM
My Gameday Audio works fine.

heldicus
04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
I have not been able to connect since the game started...very frustrating. I registered here in hopes of finding a solution!

registerthis
Just spoke with an MLB rep...she told me that they are experiencing problems with the gameday Audio feeds, they hope to have the problem resolved within an hour.

Inexcusable, as far as i'm concerned.

duh_vinci
Doc, congratulations, wanna come take a look at mine? :)

Thank you for the update, registerthis. Here's hopin we can catch the latter innings!

heldicus
04-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Just spoke with an MLB rep...she told me that they are experiencing problems with the gameday Audio feeds, they hope to have the problem resolved within an hour.

Inexcusable, as far as i'm concerned.

Definitely...can't believe they bombed out on opening day. That's insane.

top6
04-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Mine randomly started working for a second, then started again.

registerthis
04-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I just sent them a rather scathing email. It's incredibly disappointing that they waited until Opening Day to unveil this new but obviously-not-better player. Even more disappointing when you consider that the previous player functioned perfectly well.

An unbelieveably stupid and unnecessary decision on their part.

duh_vinci
04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I have to agree. Not a good strategy on their part.

Jpup
04-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Our Gameday Audio partner Akamai Technology is currently experiencing technical difficulties. This problem will be resolved shortly

that's from the multimedia page.

registerthis
04-03-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd be surprised if it gets fixed today at all.

Did no one bother to tell Akamai Technologies that Spring Training broadcasts might have been a good time to test out this apparently-shaky technology?

heldicus
04-03-2006, 03:09 PM
that's what they get for trying to include Japan.

duh_vinci
04-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Oh, well, thank goodness for Gamecast and the game thread here. :)

registerthis
04-03-2006, 03:14 PM
that's what they get for trying to include Japan.

????

http://www.akamai.com/en/html/misc/contact.html

Akamai is based in Cambridge, MA. What does japan have to do with this?

heldicus
04-03-2006, 03:28 PM
????

http://www.akamai.com/en/html/misc/contact.html

Akamai is based in Cambridge, MA. What does japan have to do with this?

sounded Japanese, that's all. just me being an :mooner: .

registerthis
04-03-2006, 03:41 PM
EDIT:

Seems to be working now. Crossing fingers for how long...

registerthis
04-03-2006, 03:44 PM
EDIT:

Just died again. Pathetic service today from the MLB.com techhie folks.

heldicus
04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
it's working here now

duh_vinci
04-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Still not working for me, but I get 504 timeout errors now, which is better than 401 errors. Simply because it's a larger number!

traderumor
04-03-2006, 05:28 PM
anybody have an email addy for these jokers? This is either my fourth or fifth year with them, and this is very frustrating for a paid service

registerthis
04-03-2006, 05:48 PM
anybody have an email addy for these jokers? This is either my fourth or fifth year with them, and this is very frustrating for a paid service

TR, I went to the MLB website, drilled down through the crap on the Contact page, and sent them an email through their website.

I also called them, took forever to get through, though. Very embarassing and unprofessional, as far as I'm concerned.

traderumor
04-03-2006, 05:54 PM
That hasn't changed, it is hard to find an address when things are going wrong, so you just have to figure they know about the problem from the other gazillion people angrily contacting them. I'll let you say it for me. And I agree 100% that the problems are just unacceptable. Sort of like fielding a team that just gave up 16 runs at home on Opening Day.

pedro
04-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I wasn't able to get it to work all spring. Didn't try today as i watched on TV.

registerthis
04-04-2006, 09:56 AM
It was working fine for me all spring because they were using the same player and interface they had used last year. Suddenly, yesterday, they switch to a new one that...well, simply didn't work. Horrible management and decision-making on their part. I hope they fix the problem soon, it's teh only way I follow Reds ball out here.

duh_vinci
04-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Out of curiosity, has anyone actually gotten ANY stream to play from MLB.com? I am gonna try out some other streams from additional sites to be sure it isn't something royally messed up on my end, but I wanted to see what others are going through. I am getting a new error today where it tells me it is "Unable to find the file. Please verify the path and filename are correct and try again."

Any ideas? I am on my second email form to MLB.com (assuming they even get sent, I get no confirmation from the site, just a blank form)

This is getting very frustrating.

EDIT: After trashing my WMP preferences for the fifth time, I can now get a stream. Ok. Well. Fingers crossed. :)

Reds1
04-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I was just charged 14.95 from mlb.com and haven't signed up for anything so I'm not sure what's going on. I wasn't even home the day they charged me. I was at the game freezing my butt off. :)

duh_vinci
04-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Yikes! Hope that gets straightened out! Wonder if there is a preference file you can trash to get a refund? :help:

KearnsyEars
04-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know if you can listen in for free at 700 WLW.com ????

registerthis
04-05-2006, 11:28 AM

No, you haven't been able to do that for years. MLB controls the online broadcasts of all games.

TRF
04-05-2006, 11:29 AM

nope. wlw.com adheres to the rule MLB has set forth about streaming games.

KearnsyEars
04-05-2006, 11:29 AM
I was jw, bc I did it for Columbus Blue Jackets games. Oh well.

duh_vinci
04-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Ok, apparently I upset the MLB streaming audio server gods once more, I can't get a stream again. *sigh* Registerthis, is it even worth it to sit on hold with their "customer support," or am I better off bashing my head into my desk?

registerthis
04-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Ok, apparently I upset the MLB streaming audio server gods once more, I can't get a stream again. *sigh* Registerthis, is it even worth it to sit on hold with their "customer support," or am I better off bashing my head into my desk?

You might want to try customer service at this point, they may have a technical assistance desk or something that can assist you. If you've reset all of your WMP pref's and are still unable to get it to stream properly, there's likely a larger problem.

I was able to stream games yesterday, so whatever issues they were experiencing on opening day appear to have been resolved. At least from my end.

registerthis
04-05-2006, 11:33 AM
I was jw, bc I did it for Columbus Blue Jackets games. Oh well.

That's because the NHL doesn't control online broadcats like MLB does.

duh_vinci
04-05-2006, 11:52 AM
You might want to try customer service at this point, they may have a technical assistance desk or something that can assist you. If you've reset all of your WMP pref's and are still unable to get it to stream properly, there's likely a larger problem.

I was able to stream games yesterday, so whatever issues they were experiencing on opening day appear to have been resolved. At least from my end.

Thanks, Reg,

I will give that a shot if this doesn't miraculously clear up in the next 10 minutes.

TeamCasey
04-05-2006, 12:22 PM
If anyone knows of an alternative broadcast stream, PM me, please. We need to figure out where all those nice non-MLB ones reside. ;)

top6
04-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Mine did not work at all - except for a brief random minute - on opening day. It seems to be working today -- knock on wood.

duh_vinci
04-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Sigh, mine was working but a work emergency occurred and I did the unthinkable of hitting the stop button on the WMP interface. Now...well...at least there will always be redszone!

top6
04-05-2006, 01:19 PM
this has been really bad service by MLB.

traderumor
04-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Like Reg's, mine has been working fine both yesterday and today. I imagine OD was just too much for the server. They need to get that fixed if they're going to charge millions of people $14.95 a pop.