PDA

View Full Version : Reds fans=fair weather fans?

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Reds fans embarrassed the hell out of me today. Adam Dunn misplays a couple of wind blown balls... and a good majority of fans booed him? That's embarrassing, and it's a shame that our best player continues to be underrated by his home fans.

When he dropped that flyball in the first inning, you could hear some boos. Then he hits a sac fly and homerun and of course the fans want to cheer. But then comes trouble in the sixth inning. Dunn misplays a couple of balls that were caught up in a heavy wind, and that is when the boo birds came out in full force. From that point on, whenever Dunn touched the ball the fans would give him a bronx cheer for catching it.
Now, I know Dunn had a rough day in the field, but that doesn't make it okay to boo your best player. I can remember back when Cincinnati Reds fans were considered the most knowledgeable fans in baseball. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Outside of this board you just don't find those knowledgeable Reds fans anymore.

I highly doubt anyone on this board participated in the booing, but I just wanted to bring it up and see if ticked anyone else off that our best player was being booed for a couple mistakes.

reds44
04-03-2006, 11:32 PM
The Opening Day crowd isn't exactly the wisest baseball crowd around.

Falls City Beer
04-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Reds fans embarrassed the hell out of me today. Adam Dunn misplays a couple of wind blown balls... and a good majority of fans booed him? That's embarrassing, and it's a shame that our best player continues to be underrated by his home fans.

When he dropped that flyball in the first inning, you could hear some boos. Then he hits a sac fly and homerun and of course the fans want to cheer. But then comes trouble in the sixth inning. Dunn misplays a couple of balls that were caught up in a heavy wind, and that is when the boo birds came out in full force. From that point on, whenever Dunn touched the ball the fans would give him a bronx cheer for catching it.

Now, I know Dunn had a rough day in the field, but that doesn't make it okay to boo your best player. I can remember back when Cincinnati Reds fans were considered the most knowledgeable fans in baseball. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Outside of this board you just don't find those knowledgeable Reds fans anymore.

I highly doubt anyone on this board participated in the booing, but I just wanted to bring it up and see if ticked anyone else off that our best player was being booed for a couple mistakes.

Yeah, made me mad as hell. But I must admit, I was booing the pitching in the quiet of my office.

fisch11
04-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Hard to guage with Opening Day, but I know of people that go to OD that don't ever go to other baseball games. I would like to think that is more likely the reason for the Bronx Cheers than just 5 straight losing seasons w/ Nati fans.

Johnny Footstool
04-03-2006, 11:41 PM
What were they supposed to do? Cheer his sloppy play?

I agree that the booing for his strikeout was silly -- the result of frustration at the entire team's performance. But when he misplays 3 fairly easy pop-ups, he deserves to be booed.

Newport Red
04-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I thought it was pretty funny that in the 7th inning, the stands looked as empty as a Reds/Milwaukee game in September.

tbball10
04-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Fair weather fans? When has the weather been good in the last 10 years for Reds' fans. And Dunn (it's debatable whether he's our best player) deserved to be booed. Those plays have to be made by a major league left fielder, especially one who is making as much money as he is. Now he did some very good things at the plate and also made a very good catch in the field. But he cost us 3 runs in the 1st inning on a ball he should have caught, and multiple runs later in the game by not breaking well on another fly ball. Those plays were a big part of why we lost the game today.

TOBTTReds
04-03-2006, 11:46 PM
First, the second mis-played ball was terrible. He broke back then kind of jogged in thinking Lopez had it, then not til literally the last second he did about two strides of sprint and missed it. It was the effort that made me mad. On the third misplay I was cracking up in my living room. He was terrible out there today. What hurt it too is that the Cubs OF'ers were making great plays with the exception of one ball by J. Jones. It was one of the worst single game fielding days I've ever seen (and the last catch in the 8th I think it was, was about a centimeter from popping out!) and I used to watch a lot of Manny Ramiraz in his Cleveland days. He was literally pathetic out there today. I do believe it was the wind on the last play against the wall, but the other two he should have made plays on.

Heath
04-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Its part of the Spring rite of passage in Cincinnati. It's the event of the year sometimes and it's a great place to be 'seen'.

The die-hards are the ones that will be there Thursday evening on the first night game of the year.

Reds1
04-03-2006, 11:47 PM

I agree that the booing for his strikeout was silly -- the result of frustration at the entire team's performance. But when he misplays 3 fairly easy pop-ups, he deserves to be booed.

Wait a minute! These weren't 3 "can of corn" "fairly easy pop flys out there. He also made a great play when Lopez got in his way and on a drop he fired it in on a rope to home that kept the runner at 3rd. The wind was the worst ever - as said by Griffey Jr. and the worst wind I"ve seen in the 50 or so games I've been. The 1st ball was not easy and certainly none of them were easy. Yes, he should and could have caught all 3, but they were not EASY plays. You don't boo your star. You can be upset, but to openly boo him at home was poor taste IMO.

He got a sac fly and a HR. No boos went on there.

tbball10
04-03-2006, 11:51 PM
First, the second mis-played ball was terrible. He broke back then kind of jogged in thinking Lopez had it, then not til literally the last second he did about two strides of sprint and missed it. It was the effort that made me mad. On the third misplay I was cracking up in my living room. He was terrible out there today. What hurt it too is that the Cubs OF'ers were making great plays with the exception of one ball by J. Jones. It was one of the worst single game fielding days I've ever seen (and the last catch in the 8th I think it was, was about a centimeter from popping out!) and I used to watch a lot of Manny Ramiraz in his Cleveland days. He was literally pathetic out there today. I do believe it was the wind on the last play against the wall, but the other two he should have made plays on.

Exactly!!!!! It was the effort on the second mis-played ball, which is the same lackadaisicle effort that Dunn gives too often IMO.

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Those were not easy plays. I was at the game and saw how hard the wind was blowing. As Matt Murton said, the wind was blowing against his back...making it hard for him to stand still, and at the same time, the wind was blowing out of the park. It was a swirling wind. The first ball in the first inning Dunn should have caught, the second and third were greatly affected by the wind.

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Exactly!!!!! It was the effort on the second mis-played ball, which is the same lackadaisicle effort that Dunn gives too often IMO.

It wasn't lackadaisicle. You try to play leftfield in 35 mph swirling wind and then come back and tell me how you like it.

reds44
04-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Dunn is going to make alot more runs then he costs us. Honestly, he probably cost us somewhere in the vacinty of 8 runs today, but it just wasn't his day in the field. He is a bad fielder, but he isn't that bad.

As for the lack of effort, somehow I don't think you can bat and eye and oops here is 40 homers and 100 rbi's. It just doesn't work that way.

paintmered
04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
I thought it was pretty funny that in the 7th inning, the stands looked as empty as a Reds/Milwaukee game in September.

No doubt the weather contributed to this but I think this is something the new front office needs to be concerned with. Yes, the front office paid some bills today, but Opening Day is more an event to be seen at rather than an event for the diehard baseball fan. Yet, it is these "fickle" fans that need to be won over to keep them coming back to the ballpark. The Reds did not do that today. We can criticize the fans as much as we want, but they are the ones who pay most of the bills and set the payroll, not us. Losing so many so easily is a cause for concern and another hurdle for the new administration to clear.

reds44
04-03-2006, 11:56 PM
I noticed that there was alot of empty seats in the outfield upper deck in like the 3rd inning. That was very dissapointing.

Heath
04-03-2006, 11:57 PM
I noticed that there was alot of empty seats in the outfield upper deck in like the 3rd inning. That was very dissapointing.

True, but the temps were falling all afternoon, and the beer doesn't keep you warm.

I'm guessing it was a tad chilly there up there.

lucky bugle boy
04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
If the temperature was anything like it was here (I expect it was) I imagine a lot of people left because it was nasty cold, and with the wind, probably miserable at the stadium. The beating we took today didn't help.

tbball10
04-04-2006, 12:02 AM
It wasn't lackadaisicle. You try to play leftfield in 35 mph swirling wind and then come back and tell me how you like it.

Yes it was he broke back then jogged in. If he would have been hustling the whole play, he would have caught it without diving. And the wind didn't effect that ball at all, he just got fooled, it wasn't hit high enough or deep enough for the wind to effect it that much. And I'm sorry for Mr. Dunn that not everyday is a perfect day, sometimes mother nature provides some wind gusts. But he is getting paid $10 million a year to play, so he can do a little better than his performance today. I'm not saying Dunn is not a good player, but he is a below average fielder, and he needs to improve. I also understand people have bad games and the conditions were not good today. Like I said earlier, he had a good day hitting, and I hope he improves his defense this year.

Newport Red
04-04-2006, 12:04 AM
No doubt the weather contributed to this, I think this is something the new front office needs to be concerned with. Yes, the front office paid some bills today, but Opening Day is more an event to be seen at rather than an event for the diehard baseball fan. Yet, it is these "fickle" fans that need to be won over to keep them coming back to the ballpark and the Reds did not do that today. We can criticize them as much as we want, but they are the ones who pay the bills and set the payroll. Losing so many so easily is a cause for concern and another hurdle for the new administration to clear.

I love the casual fan more thn most and I agree they make the difference more than your core fans. I was amused at how few stayed until the bitter end.

And I agree the weather was a factor.

OnBaseMachine
04-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Yes it was he broke back then jogged in. If he would have been hustling the whole play, he would have caught it without diving. And the wind didn't effect that ball at all, he just got fooled, it wasn't hit high enough or deep enough for the wind to effect it that much.

:laugh:

You obviously weren't at the game. That ball hung up in the air for a while and then as it was coming down the wind shifted it to the left of Dunn.

Johnny Footstool
04-04-2006, 12:10 AM
Those were not easy plays. I was at the game and saw how hard the wind was blowing. As Matt Murton said, the wind was blowing against his back...making it hard for him to stand still, and at the same time, the wind was blowing out of the park. It was a swirling wind. The first ball in the first inning Dunn should have caught, the second and third were greatly affected by the wind.

Dunn didn't concentrate on any of those drops. The first one, he flat-out dropped. He could have caught the second one if he had hustled in instead of trotting. The third ball was obviously caught in the wind, but he was still baffled by it, and at that point the fans' patience had worn thin.

And, as noted, the Cubs outfielders played in that same wind and didn't have nearly as many problems.

But really, so what if he gets booed? Being a superstar doesn't give him a free pass for stumbling around in the outfield and costing his team runs.

He played poorly, and he got booed for it. No big deal.

lucky bugle boy
Speaking of weather and balls hit to the outfield, how close was Kearns' hit in the first inning to going out? On tv, it looked like it needed another 2 feet or so.

tbball10
No, I wasn't at the game, but the bottom line is he SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT! That play SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE!

reds44
04-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Speaking of weather and balls hit to the outfield, how close was Kearns' hit in the first inning to going out? On tv, it looked like it needed another 2 feet or so.
It would have banged 3/4 of the way off the wall. However Junior and RA just barely missed grand slams by getting under it a little, both ended up being sac flies.

Falls City Beer
04-04-2006, 12:12 AM
No, I wasn't at the game, but the bottom line is he SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT! That play SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE!

Hooray!

And the Reds only lose 13-7! Beers all around!

tbball10
04-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Hooray!

And the Reds only lose 13-7! Beers all around!

Well that play and the others that he misplayed added up to more than 3 runs. I don't know how many he cost us, but someone said earlier that it was about 8.

paintmered
04-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Last I checked, the topic of this thread addresses the fans - not nitpicking Dunn's performance (even though he is a source of the booing). There's other current threads if you want to disscuss Dunn's performance.

Please make my job a little easier and keep threads on topic.

lucky bugle boy
04-04-2006, 12:18 AM
He did look awful bad on tv. Nobody feels worse about it than Adam Dunn, and he'll more than make up for it with the stick throughout the year.

KronoRed
04-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Well that play and the others that he misplayed added up to more than 3 runs. I don't know how many he cost us, but someone said earlier that it was about 8.
I don't think it was near 8, and it's silly to say that if Dunn makes those plays that the rest of the game plays out exactly the same.

This one (to me) is on Narron and Krivsky, they are the ones who went out of the way to move him back to LF, even if that's what he wanted it was silly if they wanted to make the D better.

tbball10
04-04-2006, 12:22 AM
The fans were frustrated like they had a right to be. I also think Dunn will have a solid year at the plate, I just pray that his fielding improves... I don't know how you can call us fair weather fans though, when we have stuck with the team, watch every game we can, and hope for the best every season, even though we haven't made the playoffs in 11 years.

IslandRed
04-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Back to the subject of the thread:

1. If Reds fans were fairweather, there wouldn't be any.

2. Reds fans seemed more knowledgeable back in the day.

3. Nonetheless, Johnny Bench was occasionally booed. In his prime. For not being superhuman instead of merely great, I guess. That's something I never understood, not as a kid and not now.

reds44
04-04-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't think it was near 8, and it's silly to say that if Dunn makes those plays that the rest of the game plays out exactly the same.

This one (to me) is on Narron and Krivsky, they are the ones who went out of the way to move him back to LF, even if that's what he wanted it was silly if they wanted to make the D better.
No I am pretty sure it was around 8. However you are right, you have no idea if the exact same things happen if he makes the catches.

That being said, this game doesn't get nearly as much attention if it was not Opening Day. Wed. needs to get here fast. I hate off days.

paintmered
04-04-2006, 12:24 AM
The fans were frustrated like they had a right to be. I also think he will have a solid year at the plate, I just pray that his fielding improves. I don't know how you can call us fair weather fans though, when we have stuck with the team, watch every game we can, and hope for the best every season, even though we haven't made the playoffs in 11 years.

You speak for yourself. All of us Redszoners are in a minority. We stick with the team through and through as you suggest. The majority of Reds fans do not. The majority of paying Reds fans were not at the ballpark during the 7th inning today. We didn't call you a fair weather fan. We suggested the rank and file were, however.

OnBaseMachine
04-04-2006, 12:25 AM

IT WAS A TOUGH PLAY! The wind shifted the ball 3 to 5 feet to the left of Dunn as it was coming down. Very tough play for anybody to make.

reds44
04-04-2006, 12:27 AM
The only ball that the wind didn't really do anything to of the balls Dunn screwed up on, was the line drive that was hit right on him. I am not sure if if this is the play in debate, but even if the wind did shift it he was right there in position to catch it.

The rest were very difficult plays.

lucky bugle boy
04-04-2006, 12:28 AM
I wonder how much the official scorer factored in weather. Did Dunn get charged with any errors? Just one? It seemed like Marty said one was an error, but when I glanced at stats somewhere I don't think it showed any.

reds44
04-04-2006, 12:28 AM
I wonder how much the official scorer factored in weather. Did Dunn get charged with any errors? Just one? It seemed like Marty said one was an error, but when I glanced at stats somewhere I don't think it showed any.
Me thinks it was 2.

paintmered
04-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Thread over. Keep it on topic next time guys.