PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Rondo's history...

Sweetstop
04-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Press conference...going pro...getting an agent...Tubby's blessing

WVRed
04-04-2006, 10:39 PM
I had originally thought Rondo would be a lottery pick, but even I am starting to grow uncertain of that. I still think he is first round, but it wouldnt surprise me if he slipped to a playoff team.

captainmorgan07
04-04-2006, 11:05 PM
he will prolly slip to a playoff team didn't impress me taht much this year

macro
04-05-2006, 02:39 AM
He ain't ready. He ain't even close. Someone will take him based on potential, though.

WMR
04-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Yep, his potential will get him drafted... I would predict a mid-to-late first round selection.

He's definitely a project because of his jump shot, but he *could* develop a decent mid-range jumpshot fairly quickly... I'd love to see the Cavs draft him. Even as a project, I'd like his game almost immediately over Eric Snow's. Even as a back-up, with Snow as the starter, he'd get significant minutes.

The biggest thing: I don't think the NBA game will be "too fast" for him which is the problem most players face upon entry into the NBA.

TeamSelig
04-05-2006, 11:57 PM
... oh my god

It will take UK several years to get back to where they once were.

Thanks Kelenna. You too Rondo.

Cedric
04-06-2006, 12:09 AM
I watched a few Kentucky games this year and I felt very bad for Rondo. A player with the skill set of Rondo needs some talent to help him out. Rondo seemed to be playing with below average help in the backcourt.

WVRed
04-06-2006, 12:22 AM
I watched a few Kentucky games this year and I felt very bad for Rondo. A player with the skill set of Rondo needs some talent to help him out. Rondo seemed to be playing with below average help in the backcourt.

I thought honestly Rondo was too selfish, but then again, that was UK's problem all year. Didnt matter if it was Rondo, Ramel Bradley, or Joe Crawford. If Rondo didnt go pro, Bradley would have transferred.

He is a talented player, but his talent goes as far as how much he is willing to let others contribute. He could have been a triple double threat every night at UK if he would have distributed the ball.

Cedric
04-06-2006, 12:36 AM
I don't watch Kentucky so you would know more than me. The games I watched Rondo made nice plays only to see Joe Crawford or someone else make a bonehead play in the end. Honestly I think Joe Crawford is the worst player I've seen at Kentucky in ten years. In my limited viewings.

macro
04-06-2006, 12:55 AM
I thought honestly Rondo was too selfish, but then again, that was UK's problem all year. Didnt matter if it was Rondo, Ramel Bradley, or Joe Crawford. If Rondo didnt go pro, Bradley would have transferred.

He is a talented player, but his talent goes as far as how much he is willing to let others contribute. He could have been a triple double threat every night at UK if he would have distributed the ball.

EXACTLY! The sum of the parts may be less without Rondo, but UK will be a much better team next year without him. Mark it down. Team chemistry will improve, Kentucky will return to being among the top 15 teams.

WVRed
04-06-2006, 09:52 AM
EXACTLY! The sum of the parts may be less without Rondo, but UK will be a much better team next year without him. Mark it down. Team chemistry will improve, Kentucky will return to being among the top 15 teams.

I disagree with that. Rondo may be gone, but we still have Bradley and Crawford to worry about. Although that may change if Bradley transfers.

The other thing I worry about is our post. Morris is fine at center, but we need a PF to compliment him there. With Perry likely moving to SF, it will fall to Sheray Thomas, who is undersized for a PF, or Perry Stevenson, a rail thin freshman. I wouldn't mind seeing Phil Jones make the team, get Rondos scholarship, and move Morris to PF.

Blimpie
04-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Even though Crawford is currently still on the team--I also think that chemistry will improve next season. Now that Rondo is gone, I don't think Bradley will still be entertaining any thoughts of transferring. The point guard job is his to lose. As much as I loathed Crawford's game this year, Rondo & Sparks had just as much to do with the dysfunctional relationships on this year's team.

I kinda agree with WVRed that our "bigs" are gonna be the largest source of worry for me. I know Tubby secretly hoped that Woo would transfer or Allene would flunk out so that he could go after a frontline transfer player. I don't buy the fact that Rekalin Sims' back injury set back the frontline development this year. He showed early on in the year that he was NOT going to be a banger and preferred to play on the perimeter. If Sheray Thomas got Sims' minutes (while Morris was suspended), there's no telling how much Thomas might have contributed to the team off the bench in March.

Has anybody else seen the articles about Buzz Peterson joining the staff next year? Apparently, this leaked WAY too soon...considering Tubby doesn't officially have any openings on his bench yet.

"Coach Hobbs, Coach Hanson...please pick up the white courtesy phone. There's a G. Reaper that would like to speak to you..."

cumberlandreds
04-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I think G Reaper would like speak to Rigot also.;) Bradley will be back. He knows the pg position is his. I think he may be OK. He can at least shoot pretty well and I think he may have the leadership capabilities. Rondo did not want to be the leader. Tubby had a couple of long talks with him about this. When you have to almost talk someone onto being a leader then they are not one. IMO, I just can't see Peterson taking an assistants job. I know he is the HC at a low mid major but still he's the head man. Sometimes when a HC goes back to being an assistant he may never become the big man again. Of course he may be happy at being an assistant not want the responsibilities that come with being a HC.

Blimpie
04-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I think G Reaper would like speak to Rigot also.;) Bradley will be back. He knows the pg position is his. I think he may be OK. He can at least shoot pretty well and I think he may have the leadership capabilities. Rondo did not want to be the leader. Tubby had a couple of long talks with him about this. When you have to almost talk someone onto being a leader then they are not one. IMO, I just can't see Peterson taking an assistants job. I know he is the HC at a low mid major but still he's the head man. Sometimes when a HC goes back to being an assistant he may never become the big man again. Of course he may be happy at being an assistant not want the responsibilities that come with being a HC.I think Bradley will make a fine PG for the next two years. He can shoot, penetrate, defend, and pass as well as any player UK has had in years. I also like the fact that he has some attitude. Was it Andrew Bogut that he mixed it up with in the tourney as a Freshman? That showed me something there because at that point in the game, UK's frontline was acting a little intimidated by him.

As far as Buzz Peterson goes, I don't think he would mind acting as an assistant under Tubby. Sure, he has already held the title of head coach at Tennessee--but so was David Hobbs (Alabama). The way UK pays their assistants, it could be a pretty good gig. Apparently, he was a pretty decent recruiter at Tennessee and there just so happens to be a high school prospect (that UK is currently trying to land) that remains a big Buzz fan. Package deal? Perhaps. FWIW, I would prefer Peterson on the UK bench over Rod Barnes (formerly of Ole Miss) who has also been rumored to be on Tubby's short list.

WMR
04-06-2006, 04:12 PM
I dunno, that 6'4" freshman PG we've got coming in could push Bradley to the #2.

I'm not sold on Bradley's distribution abilities.

Blimpie
04-06-2006, 04:15 PM
I dunno, that 6'4" freshman PG we've got coming in could push Bradley to the #2.

I'm not sold on Bradley's distribution abilities.I am.;)

...and until we see if the incoming Freshman can play ball line defense, there's no guarantee they will see any minutes at all...

WMR
04-06-2006, 04:17 PM
I am.;)

...and until we see if the incoming Freshman can play ball line defense, there's no guarantee they will see any minutes at all...

Excuse me, not ABILITY... I meant to say: WILLINGNESS.

The scouting reports on that kid report he can play D. I'm just not willing to hand the starting PG job to Bradley with a big pretty red bow... if he takes it and claims it, great, but I think he's a kid who needs to be pushed to compete.

WVRed
04-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Apparently, he was a pretty decent recruiter at Tennessee and there just so happens to be a high school prospect (that UK is currently trying to land) that remains a big Buzz fan.

That would be Tyler Smith.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1995857

Pitt is considered the leading candidate for him, with Iowa a close second. Kentucky was in the running, but his interest died off. My guess is Tubby is trying to use Buzz to get Tyler to Kentucky.

Blimpie
04-06-2006, 04:36 PM
That would be Tyler Smith.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1995857

Pitt is considered the leading candidate for him, with Iowa a close second. Kentucky was in the running, but his interest died off. My guess is Tubby is trying to use Buzz to get Tyler to Kentucky.That's the talk around here, anyways. Pitt at least "was" the frontrunner, but they have apparently already exhausted their visits with Tyler this recruiting season. The talk is also that Tyler has cooled it a bit on Iowa coach Steve Alford, (who could blame him) so Tubby feels like he has the door left wide open these next few weeks with no real other recruiting competition to contend with at present.

If Buzz can close the deal on Smith, I'll pick them BOTH up at the airport...:D

kyred14
04-07-2006, 12:22 AM
If Buzz is on the bench come November, you can book Tyler Smith. If not him, Phil Jones would be in blue and white. Maybe both. I do wonder where the scholly(s) would come from. I've heard there's a pretty good chance Sims won't be here. Anyone else heard anything?

cumberlandreds
04-07-2006, 11:38 AM
If Buzz is on the bench come November, you can book Tyler Smith. If not him, Phil Jones would be in blue and white. Maybe both. I do wonder where the scholly(s) would come from. I've heard there's a pretty good chance Sims won't be here. Anyone else heard anything?

Sims is supposed to decide if he is staying or going soon. Also heard that Bobby Perry may go on academic scholarship if they need an extra freed up. Also heard there is a chance Woo may go back to Europe but don't think this is going to happen.
Also if you hadn't heard is that Adam Williams is transferring. Decided he wanted to play rather than ride the pine for four years. Marshall is considered the frontrunner for him.

Blimpie
04-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Sims is supposed to decide if he is staying or going soon. Also heard that Bobby Perry may go on academic scholarship if they need an extra freed up. Also heard there is a chance Woo may go back to Europe but don't think this is going to happen.
Also if you hadn't heard is that Adam Williams is transferring. Decided he wanted to play rather than ride the pine for four years. Marshall is considered the frontrunner for him.All above is correct, and don't forget we get Rondo's scholarship back now ;)

TeamSelig
04-07-2006, 03:11 PM
So, whats the starting 5 projection for next year?

WVRed
04-07-2006, 11:33 PM
So, whats the starting 5 projection for next year?

PG-Bradley
SG-Crawford
SF-Perry
PF-Thomas
C-Morris

Blimpie
04-08-2006, 06:05 PM
PG-Bradley
SG-Crawford
SF-Perry
PF-Thomas
C-MorrisWVRed: That's the same starting five that I have right now....However, I am praying for a strong off-season by Jared Carter. If he progresses enough to suit Tubby (who is a BIG fan of his), then I could see him moving to the frontline in place of Sheray Thomas. Possibly, even to center..moving Morris to PF....

WVRed
04-08-2006, 10:06 PM
WVRed: That's the same starting five that I have right now....However, I am praying for a strong off-season by Jared Carter. If he progresses enough to suit Tubby (who is a BIG fan of his), then I could see him moving to the frontline in place of Sheray Thomas. Possibly, even to center..moving Morris to PF....

Bleh, I'm hoping if Morris is moved to PF, Alleyne goes to center. If he would ever get out of Tubbys doghouse, he would be intimidating in the post. There is no doubt in my mind he could average 5 blocks a night when starting.

Blimpie
04-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Bleh, I'm hoping if Morris is moved to PF, Alleyne goes to center. If he would ever get out of Tubbys doghouse, he would be intimidating in the post. There is no doubt in my mind he could average 5 blocks a night when starting.I dunno if Shagari will ever fully play himself out of Tubby's doghouse. I think his grades are really an excuse for the media--I just think Tubby doesn't feel he can post guys up. I watched the final "Tubby Smith Show" of the year and he kinda evaluated all players who would be returning. When Rob Bromley asked him about the center position, he spoke of Shagari and Woo as though they had left UK already. He acted like they were lost causes and that he was simply waiting for their scholarships to end...Whenever Jared Carter was mentioned, Tubby's eyes lit up and he talked again and again about how much he liked Carter's game (especially on the offensive end). He applauded him for putting on 25lbs. since high school and also how hard he played in practice (mostly against Morris).

I actually like Allene against certain opponents, but I agree that Carter is the better long-term option. If he could only play more minutes without fouling...

BigREDSfaninKY
04-08-2006, 10:41 PM
PG-Bradley
SG-Crawford
SF-Perry
PF-Thomas
C-Morris

Don't count out Derrick Jasper for the starting PG position. He his exactly what Tubby wants in a PG. TEAM FIRST. This future CAT has a high basketball I.Q. looks to his teammates first before his own shot. If I had to guess now, come October 15, Jasper will be the starting PG.

Blimpie
04-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Looks like Tyler Smith is now jumping off the UK bandwagon with BOTH feet...

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/14321926.htm

...as for UK, Tyler Smith's coach told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Pitt leads Iowa for the 6-foot-7 forward's services, leaving the Cats a distant third.

Even without Smith, the Cats are expected to collect a top 20 class. It's just that it could have easily been a top 10 or even a top 5 had Tubby Smith and Co. not lost superstuds Brandan Wright to North Carolina and Thaddeus Young to Georgia Tech.

"It could be bad luck and a cyclical thing," Meyer said of UK's misses. "Or it could be Kentucky, with its more grind-it-out style of play, has lost some of its luster with elite prospects."

SEC hoops' negative reputation served as another explanation for UK whiffs, but that no longer holds water. The conference sent six teams to the NCAA Tournament. All but Arkansas advanced past the first round. Florida and Louisiana State reached the Final Four, marking the league's first dual representation since 1996. And Florida won it all.

"I think it will help," said Meyer when asked about the SEC's strong tournament showing. "A lot of prospects have an affinity for the ACC and Big East because of prior success and TV coverage.

"I don't know if the SEC, viewed as a football conference, can get over the hump to be viewed like those two conferences unless it gets a better TV package with ESPN."

The league is working on that. It is reportedly in negotiations for an SEC-Big East challenge. Still, that fortuitous Final Four showing should help. Right now, however, thanks to Bruce Pearl, it's helping Tennessee.

cumberlandreds
04-12-2006, 11:15 AM
"It could be bad luck and a cyclical thing," Meyer said of UK's misses. "Or it could be Kentucky, with its more grind-it-out style of play, has lost some of its luster with elite prospects."

This statement by Meyer really threw Tubby and his style under the bus. I think its telling of what recruits are thinking about UK.

WMR
04-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Gotta love that Tubby-ball offense.

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 09:24 AM
(Bump) Yesterday, Tyler Smith signed a letter of intent to play with Iowa over Pittsburgh. I have absolutely no idea how Steve Alford is doing it....

Also in SEC news: The big 3 at Florida are all still hinting that they plan to return to school next year (gulp)

Not only has University of Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl landed a consensus Top 5 recruiting class, but might be close to adding former Ole Miss coach Rod Barnes to his staff. Apparently the two were traveling in tandem last week at some AAU tournaments.

Tubby: It is time to stop hitting the snooze alarm and get busy.

WMR
04-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Jeez Tubby, does someone need to give you a kick in the butt to get you motivated???

Where'a Raisor and his famous movie quotes, how's that go?

ALWAYS
BE
CLOSIN'

I dunno about Tubby, but I *like* getting top talent.

Get rid of those assistants. SOMETHING!!!!! We Need Fresh Blood!!

Something has to change about the way we recruit kids to the University of Kentucky basketball program because what we're doing right now sucks and does not allow us "compete with the big boys" which is what we should be doing.

AArgh

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Jeez Tubby, does someone need to give you a kick in the butt to get you motivated???

Where'a Raisor and his famous movie quotes, how's that go?

ALWAYS
BE
CLOSIN'

I dunno about Tubby, but I *like* getting top talent.

Get rid of those assistants. SOMETHING!!!!! We Need Fresh Blood!!

Something has to change about the way we recruit kids to the University of Kentucky basketball program because what we're doing right now sucks and does not allow us "compete with the big boys" which is what we should be doing.

AArghI can handle missing out on Tennessee high school prospects who choose to go play for the Volunteers...but coming is a distant third to Iowa and Pittsburgh doesn't digest well with me.

Blimpie
05-14-2006, 01:25 PM
(bump) It appears as though the Rondo draft projections have him barely clinging to the first round (read: guaranteed $). Personally, I never felt he was going to be a first rounder anyway--let alone, the lottery pick his agent was suggesting he was.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/colleges/university_of_kentucky/14575663.htm

Projecting Rondo

The draft status of former UK point guard Rajon Rondo continues to mimic Kentucky weather. Just wait a minute, it'll change.

When Rondo made himself an early entrant earlier this spring, the mock drafts projected him as high as the lottery. His stock began slipping and by the middle of last week, he fell out of the first round of projections made by NBADraft.net.

By week's end, NBADraft.net moved Rondo to the 26th pick (Lakers) of the first round. A bit iffy, but at least in the first round, which means guaranteed money and a team with a vested interest.

Of course, only time will tell Rondo's fate in the June 28 draft.

To listen to NBA officials is to get varied opinion. You are told Rondo is no better than the fifth-best point guard in a weak draft. Behind Marcus Williams of UConn, Kyle Lowry of Villanova, Jordan Farmar of UCLA and Mardy Collins of Temple.

You also are told that Rondo will be terrific in pick-and-roll situations in a modern NBA that is a "pick-and-roll jamboree." His subpar perimeter shooting can be improved.

Rondo can dramatically enhance his stock by playing well in the NBA's Pre-Draft Camp, which has been moved from Chicago to Orlando this year (June 6-9). The former UK guard is on a preliminary list of possible invitees.

A note of caution: Various projections (and even the draft itself) is hardly foolproof. Brad Miller (nephew of former UK player Tom Heitz) was not drafted and became a solid pro player.