PDA

View Full Version : stay seated or up & down during gametime?

Red in Chicago
04-04-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't think that I can post a poll, so I'll just throw this question out there:

When at a game, are you one of those people who:

A) stays in your seat most, if not all, of the game
(except for cheering/national anthem, etc), or;

B) are you one of those people who constantly gets up and down
(either to go to the bathroom, or for something else to eat)?

Those of you that answered "B", can you please tell me why don't you try to get an aisle seat so you can let the rest of us actually enjoy the game without your butts in our face:mooner: :devil: :bang:

Reds Fanatic
04-04-2006, 07:55 PM
I almost always stay in my seat. In fact I am one of the few that still likes to keep score at the game.

TeamCasey
04-04-2006, 08:06 PM
B, but I'm always an aisle.

KronoRed
04-04-2006, 08:09 PM
I do what everybody else does.

WMR
04-04-2006, 08:16 PM
http://www.llmedico.com/urine-bag-holders/

"My beer drinking used to necessitate trips to the bathroom every 20 minutes... not anymore! Thanks, Urinary Leg Bag Holder!!"

reds44
04-04-2006, 08:18 PM
C. Somewhere in between, but usually when I get up it is between innings.

I always try to get an aisle seat, I would rather have people bug me then the other way around.

DropDocK
04-04-2006, 08:36 PM
A. I might get up to get a pretzel once. Or if I really have to use the restroom but I prefer to stay seated. I always think I'll miss something. If I do get up it's in between innings so as not to disturbed others as much.

Joseph
04-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I get up once a game, that's it. I don't like to disturb others, but I mostly don't like the look my wife gives me when she thinks I'm bothering someone else. :)

TeamBoone
04-04-2006, 09:13 PM
I get up about every three innings... but not during play, only between innings. That's twice during a game. Is that too much?

I don't think anyone should have to stay in their seat for the entire game because they think they might disturb someone. If you do, fine, but that's not for everyone. Sometimes you just need to stretch your legs (not me... I head for the bathroom; not everyone is lucky enough to be physically able to go for three hours without it).

I like aisle seats too, but am not always fortunate enough to get one.

What bothers me more than people getting up and down is when they do it while the game is unfolding on the field. And I feel that way even if they get up only once during the game. But then, I know some people can't help it... especially those with young children. But you know what? Most of those up and down people are adults.

Another think that pops my cork big time.... hordes of people going up and down the aisles during the game. They inevitably block my view of the batter. And... they... take... their.... time.... and often stop to talk with someone in the seats or whomever may be.... taking.... their.... time... along... with... them.

Unbaseball-related conversations (whether in person or on cell phones) drive me crazy too. My blood is boiling just typing this. It is soooooooooo distracting and no one seems to be capable of chatting in a normal tone of voice. It's extremely distracting... and pretty much constant at every game I've ever been to (and I've been to a lot of them).

KittyDuran
04-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Pretty much A. - try to get everything done before, food, restroom, etc. before the start of the game. Which, of course, means I try to get to the ballpark an hour early.

Last year I requested a season ticket on the end -not to the aisle- but the other side. My seat was right next to the visitor bullpen and I had no trouble with people moving in front of me.

Or... if I don't have a ticket in advance... I get a $5 ticket and sit all the way up in the top row of the ballpark away from other people - so I can enjoy the ballgame in peace. :)

KittyDuran
04-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Unbaseball-related conversations (whether in person or on cell phones) drive me crazy too. My blood is boiling just typing this. It is soooooooooo distracting and no one seems to be capable of chatting in a normal tone of voice. It's extremely distracting... and pretty much constant at every game I've ever been to (and I've been to a lot of them).
Yep... that pretty much high on list of pet peeves. Or even worse someone who is a "Know-It-All" but who gets most of the facts wrong - but his friends (the person is 99.9% male) are too polite or don't know any better to correct him. AND he has a voice that carries... :p:

Team Clark
04-04-2006, 09:24 PM
I sat in a row yesterday where EVERY person in our row was up or down. I started keeping track after awhile. Ridiculous. I like going to Marlins games because it is not permitted.

OnBaseMachine
04-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I stay in my seat. I did not get up at all yesterday, not even once.

TeamBoone
04-04-2006, 09:37 PM
I sat in a row yesterday where EVERY person in our row was up or down. I started keeping track after awhile. Ridiculous. I like going to Marlins games because it is not permitted.

It's not permitted??? Wow! How do they do that?

Wow! Tell the Reds!!!!

Team Clark
04-04-2006, 09:53 PM
You can get up and go but only between innings. The ushers will literally STOP you. Obviously if there is an emergency you can go but that's a one shot deal. The ushers do not permit you to return to your seat until the end of each half inning. Really nice.

TeamBoone
04-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Between innings but not mid-inning? Or is that what you mean by "between innings".

You know, I've been to a ton of Yankee games, but it was a long time. I think they do the same thing there. And... I've lived in Cincinnati since 1993; didn't they used to do that here as well or am I confusing it with what I think I remember about Yankee Stadium.

Either way, I wish they'd start/reinstitute that practice. It would make me a whole lot happier when attending games.

pedro
04-04-2006, 10:10 PM

It's easy to enforce when there is only 8,000 people there. ;)

bucksfan
04-04-2006, 10:11 PM
First off, I always try to get aisle seats,also so I am the buggee instead of the bugger (er, or something like that). I do get up to do what I want to do, but only between innings. For me, going to theballgame is about the entire experience including getting a dog or beer or coke when I want to. (again only between innings unless there is a vendor walking about). I try to never miss a pitch, and if the lines are long I usually forgo the extras.

When my daughter comes with me, we don't sit still much as there is only so much a 4 yr old can take. So far though she has only gone to Mud Hens games with us, and you can basically watch the entire game as you walk around the ballpark, which is cool. I do my utmost not to bother anyone, and the perfect experience for me also is to never miss a pitch, but I also like to get up and move around, etc on occassion, perhaps watch a some of the game from a different vantage point if the crowd permits. I love going to Mud Hen games as typically both things are possible.

Team Clark
04-04-2006, 10:21 PM
It's easy to enforce when there is only 8,000 people there. ;)

That is the absolute truth.... :laugh: :laugh:

Team Clark
04-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Between innings but not mid-inning? Or is that what you mean by "between innings".

You know, I've been to a ton of Yankee games, but it was a long time. I think they do the same thing there. And... I've lived in Cincinnati since 1993; didn't they used to do that here as well or am I confusing it with what I think I remember about Yankee Stadium.

Either way, I wish they'd start/reinstitute that practice. It would make me a whole lot happier when attending games.

Every half inning. Mid-top-bottom

vaticanplum
04-04-2006, 10:37 PM

It's not permitted in San Francisco either. They have ushers like they do at the theater and people are only permitted to get in and out of their seats between innings.

I'm not one for people getting up and down like yo-yos, but personally I think this is a little ridiculous. It's a sporting event, and one of decent length at that, and what if you're there with little kids? When they gotta go...

edit: re: Yankee Stadium, I've spent half my life there over the last several years, and if there's any kind of rule like this still in existence, they don't enforce it at all.

ThatsAStrike
04-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I generally stay in my seat the entire game, but if I do have to get up I always wait until between innings. I don't mind it too much if people need to get up and leave while the game's going on (just don't do it in the middle of an at-bat for cryin' out loud!). What bothers me is the people who KEEP getting up and leaving, and returning, and leaving.

I was at a game last season, sitting in the lower section quite a way back from the field underneath the upper deck. This doofus stood up in the aisle, right in my line-of-sight, and decided to make a cell phone call. He just stood there in the aisle, chatting away, meanwhile blocking my view and everyone else's view behind him. I thought that was the height of rudeness and inconsiderateness (is that a word?). I and the guys behind me were yelling at him and throwing peanuts at him. He didn't budge until he had completed his call.

04-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Several times I have seen people call someone on their phone, and stand up and wave their hands. I guess they are calliing a friend in another section and want to be seen by them. That is probably my greatest pet peeve ant the ballpark. Well, that and the pitching.....

Joseph
04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Several times I have seen people call someone on their phone, and stand up and wave their hands. I guess they are calliing a friend in another section and want to be seen by them. That is probably my greatest pet peeve ant the ballpark. Well, that and the pitching.....

Oh heck yes! I'm completely with you on this one. I hate the 'Cell Phone Wave' I hate people sitting there talking to their friends in general. I think they should make a 'Talking Section' just like they have a 'Smoking Section' at the park.

DropDocK
04-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Yep... that pretty much high on list of pet peeves. Or even worse someone who is a "Know-It-All" but who gets most of the facts wrong - but his friends (the person is 99.9% male) are too polite or don't know any better to correct him. AND he has a voice that carries... :p:

Exactly what I get stuck sitting near I think about every single time I go to a game. Another thing that drives me crazy is that they are trying to think of a certain players name or a ridiculously easy fact and botch it. I hate sitting next to stupid people. :p:

Last August I went to game and we were sitting two rows back from the rightfield wall. There was a woman sitting with a couple of guys in front of us. Every time Junior came out to warm up at the beginning of the inning they would wave and holler trying to get his attention. Or any other time he looked over in our general direction. He finally cracked before the 7th started and smiled and laughed with them. Their mission accomplished, I suppose, they left shortly afterwards. Normally I wouldn't really mind but their behavior was taken a bit too far and became more of the premise of going to the game rather than watching it. I mean every single time he looked in our general area it would give them reason to start up.

OldRightHander
04-05-2006, 11:01 PM
I really don't understand why someone would pay good money for a ticket and not watch the entire game. I bring my own food and drink with me and generally will not budge from my seat from the start of the game until the end, unless it's late in the game and I am "upgrading" my seat. Here are a few of my pet peeves at the park, aside from the pitching. All of these were observed Monday.

1. Sit in your seat, not on it. Some rather inebriated Cubs fans were sitting on the the backs of their seats with their feet resting where their butts should have been. That made them somewhat difficult to see over. Granted, by that point the game was out of hand, but I don't like to miss a single pitch.

2. Standing in the aisle for any reason. If you must take pictures of one another, do it between innings, or at least pay attention to what is happening on the field and time it so you're blocking my view while one batter is returning to the dugout and the other one is still walking toward the plate.

3. None of the players on the field suck as bad as you would if you were out there, so keep that sentiment to yourself, or at least express it in a more intelligent manner.

4. Whether you're on a cell phone or talking to your friend, keep the conversation related to the game. I am at the park to forget about the real world for a few hours.

5. If you are a vendor, please take note of on field events when deciding where to stand or how to hold what you're selling. Shame on the cotton candy kid holding it aloft to block my view of everything from home plate to the pitcher's mound. Congratulations to the beer guy who had the common sense to squat down low at the end of the aisle so we would all have an unimpeded view of the field.

In short, if you are inclined to do anything that isn't baseball related, what the heck are you doing in a baseball stadium? If you must read a book, talk on your phone, work a crossword puzzle, or talk about your job, DO IT AWAY FROM THE BALLPARK!

NatiRedGals
04-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Stay seated I stand up but i dont walk away i always jump up and down whenever something happens but i dont just jump over people unless im in row 500 something LOL

bucksfan
04-06-2006, 12:57 AM
In general I take a little more relaxed view of going to a baseball game. I mean, heck I don't get out all that often, I might want to talk to my buddy about something other than Dunn's OBP. I wouldn't use my phone except to briefly and discretely perform some necessary logistics functions (like "meet you after the game at such and such"). And I never ever considered it anything but acceptable to get up and do whatever between innings. Heck, I cannot stay seated that long in almost any situation.

But I never boo or shout obscentities (might mutter some) or anything like that. I never believe I could do bettter playing or managing. The second-guessing part is fun, but not in a character-assassination sort of way like some do it.

FWIW 95% of all my games attended are minor league games. I used to be a scorecard guy too, but that stopped once my daughter came along. It never occurred to me, and I thought I was somewhat over-sensitive to people's perceptions, that anyone would look dimly upon one getting out of one's seat in between innings....I guess I am thankful that there are more irritating fans than me out there that can be the focus of people's ire most of the time, because if I have to watch how many times I get up, what I talk about, etc, then I wouldn't go to many games at all.

TeamCasey
04-06-2006, 07:14 AM
When I get up it's always between innings and always when the opponents are coming up to bat. I don't want to miss any of our at bats.

I brought a book to a game once. TB yelled at me. I never did it again. :)

Roy Tucker
04-06-2006, 08:59 AM
I generally don't mind people being up and down during a game as long as they do so with a modicum of common sense, i.e. if you can, wait till a half inning to go get cotton candy, if you do have to get up during the action, wait till in-between pitches or a break in the action, and most of all, if you're getting up, get up and get out and don't dilly-dally (as my grandma says). I paid money to watch baseball, not to watch you.

There does seem to be some corollary of Murphy's Law in that people that need to get up and down a lot are a.) in the middle of a row, and b.) have no sense of what's going on down on the field.

Often times, those same people seem to have not a lick of sense and wait till the first pitch of an inning and then suddenly get struck with an overwhelming urge to have a coney.

SandyD
04-06-2006, 09:12 AM
One summer in Arizona, the Toros had several ways to get free tickets to the bleachers ... Weeknights only ... You could upgrade to grandstand for a buck. I went to a lot of ballgames that summer, but since I was taking anatomy/physiology in a shortened summer session, I had to bring my books.

But I only opened them during breaks in the action.

bucksfan, I can't believe your daughter is 4 now.

Little Alex
04-06-2006, 10:10 AM
but I mostly don't like the look my wife gives me when she thinks I'm bothering someone else. :)

Bingo. I'm up once to use the john and grab a bite. Can always order beers from my seat. That way no dirty looks from the missus.

scounts22
04-06-2006, 10:16 AM

I get stuck by those people too. Last year, there was a family right behind me. The dad narrated the ENTIRE game for his kid, and like you, his voice carried. He explained all kinds of annoying things about fly balls, where players should be poisitioned with two outs and why, blah blah blah, all of which at that point I didn't give a rat's patoot about. I serioulsy wanted to turn around and punch him. My boyfriend wouldn't let me though. :D

scounts22
04-06-2006, 10:45 AM
I guess I should answer the question too. I usually do get up once or twice per game, and I only do it between innings.

I'm also one of the guilty people who sometimes talks on my cell phone. Usually I call my brother if someone homers or if there was a sweet play or something. Does that bother people even though it's baseball related? I try not to be one of those people who amplifies their outside voice. ;)

Chip R
04-06-2006, 11:05 AM
I rarely get up unless I have to go to the bathroom or get something to drink.

MartyFan
04-06-2006, 12:43 PM
http://www.llmedico.com/urine-bag-holders/

"My beer drinking used to necessitate trips to the bathroom every 20 minutes... not anymore! Thanks, Urinary Leg Bag Holder!!"

I made a version of this handy device myself...now, no matter where I am or what I am doing IT'S POTTY TIME!

MartyFan
04-06-2006, 12:47 PM
I really don't understand why someone would pay good money for a ticket and not watch the entire game. I bring my own food and drink with me and generally will not budge from my seat from the start of the game until the end, unless it's late in the game and I am "upgrading" my seat. Here are a few of my pet peeves at the park, aside from the pitching. All of these were observed Monday.

1. Sit in your seat, not on it. Some rather inebriated Cubs fans were sitting on the the backs of their seats with their feet resting where their butts should have been. That made them somewhat difficult to see over. Granted, by that point the game was out of hand, but I don't like to miss a single pitch.

2. Standing in the aisle for any reason. If you must take pictures of one another, do it between innings, or at least pay attention to what is happening on the field and time it so you're blocking my view while one batter is returning to the dugout and the other one is still walking toward the plate.

3. None of the players on the field suck as bad as you would if you were out there, so keep that sentiment to yourself, or at least express it in a more intelligent manner.

4. Whether you're on a cell phone or talking to your friend, keep the conversation related to the game. I am at the park to forget about the real world for a few hours.

5. If you are a vendor, please take note of on field events when deciding where to stand or how to hold what you're selling. Shame on the cotton candy kid holding it aloft to block my view of everything from home plate to the pitcher's mound. Congratulations to the beer guy who had the common sense to squat down low at the end of the aisle so we would all have an unimpeded view of the field.

In short, if you are inclined to do anything that isn't baseball related, what the heck are you doing in a baseball stadium? If you must read a book, talk on your phone, work a crossword puzzle, or talk about your job, DO IT AWAY FROM THE BALLPARK!

You can bring your own food in and they won't mind?

scounts22
04-06-2006, 12:51 PM
I made a version of this handy device myself...now, no matter where I am or what I am doing IT'S POTTY TIME!

The image I'm getting of this seriously makes me shudder. Eww, Gross!! :barf:

KittyDuran
04-06-2006, 12:59 PM
You can bring your own food in and they won't mind?Yep... I do it all the time. As long as Security can what you are bringing in. A Subway sub is usually the best since it comes in a clear plastic bag. Soft drinks/water have to be plastic with the seal UNBROKEN [sorry for the caps but you would not believe how many fans forget this rule]. I also stock up on candy and cookies that you can put in plastic bags or in original wrappings.

Yesterday I bought Mrs. Fields cookies at the Levee and brought them in - no problem.

westofyou
04-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm a walker, stander, I also would rather go to the game alone or with only 1 or 2 other people, if that's the case I'll still walk around a bit.

Alone I prefer to stand behind HP.

vaticanplum
04-06-2006, 01:14 PM
I never really thought much about it, but I think I may be pretty loud and mobile during games. I'll watch it from now on.

It's never bothered me with other people unless they're truly obnoxious drunk dudes from Jersey in Yankee Stadium. My grampa used to take me to games with a radio when I was a kid. I guess I got used to the noise.

creek14
04-06-2006, 01:28 PM
I park it.