PDA

View Full Version : The "What is Wily Mo Up To Today?" Thread...

WMR
04-04-2006, 08:25 PM
I figure it's worthwhile to have a clearinghouse thread where we can keep track of Wily Mo's adventures--or misadventures--with Boston this season... If anyone sees an interesting batting line or fielding mishap please post it.

I know I'll be following Wily Mo with great interest from here on out...

kyred14
04-04-2006, 08:37 PM
He's not in the lineup......

Chip R
04-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Great idea. We have one about Danny Graves and Aaron Boone so why not one about WMP? In fact, we should do one for each former Reds player. We can have one for Sean Casey and Juan Encarnacion and Reggie Sanders. Ryan Dempster and Scott Williamson deserve their own too. And how about Shawn Estes and Corey Lidle?

dman
04-04-2006, 08:51 PM
.....and Chris Reitsma, Aaron Boone, Oh Yeah, and I almost forgot, Corey Lidle too.

HBP
04-04-2006, 08:55 PM
...Juan Castro has a single so far today

KronoRed
04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Castro is at least a starter ;)

Gainesville Red
04-04-2006, 09:09 PM
How about a what's Deion Sanders up to today thread?

KronoRed
04-04-2006, 09:10 PM
:laugh:

Heath
04-04-2006, 09:13 PM
I know! I know! What about Lonny Frey? Or Hughie Critz? Or Edd Roush? or Henie Groh?

Ok, here we go!

Um...he's dead....uh...he's dead....umm....passed on....uh, yep..gone over the great divide!

There ya go!

Heath
04-04-2006, 09:14 PM

about 5'10 in socks.

Gainesville Red
04-04-2006, 09:14 PM
By the way, Casey just took Capuano deep.

westofyou
04-04-2006, 10:07 PM
What about Lonny Frey?He lives in Idaho, a state famous for their ground apples.

Newman4
04-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Great idea. We have one about Danny Graves and Aaron Boone so why not one about WMP? In fact, we should do one for each former Reds player. We can have one for Sean Casey and Juan Encarnacion and Reggie Sanders. Ryan Dempster and Scott Williamson deserve their own too. And how about Shawn Estes and Corey Lidle?

If you like one of those players enough to keep up with them the way that WilyMoRocks apparently cares to, then go for it. If not, then read something else. Why all the hate because Wily Mo is his favorite player?

Hey, I'll be glad to read/post being a Wily Mo fan myself. Cool idea WilyMoRocks.:beerme: :thumbup:

remdog
04-04-2006, 10:53 PM
If you like one of those players enough to keep up with them the way that WilyMoRocks apparently cares to, then go for it. If not, then read something else. Why all the hate because Wily Mo is his favorite player?

Hey, I'll be glad to read/post being a Wily Mo fan myself. Cool idea WilyMoRocks.:beerme: :thumbup:

Nothing wrong with following WMP---he's a player I'm interested in also. In the past we've had threads about others that have left the Reds family; Ben Broussard was one that got a lot of follow-up. But an on-going, perpetual thread about one particular player, that has been traded away, would seem to be (at least to me) fall in the catagory of :deadhorse .

Just my opinion, of course....

Rem

blumj
04-04-2006, 10:59 PM
The way the Red Sox game is going, I'm guessing he'll probably get into it at some point. I'll let you know if I see him.

Reds Fanatic
04-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Right now the Red Sox are planning to start Wily Mo against lefties only.

Heath
04-04-2006, 11:24 PM
He lives in Idaho, a state famous for their ground apples.

my bad - I scanned the wrong page in my baseball encyclopedia.

Hey Lonny - :wave: :redinface:

edabbs44
04-04-2006, 11:51 PM
WMP is having an RBI double right now.

blumj
04-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Wily Mo pinch hitting in the 9th, RBI double to RF, and scores.
I'm guessing he'll get a start in Baltimore, most likely Saturday.

Hobo
04-05-2006, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the thread 'WilyMoRocks'. It'll be easier to follow my favorite player since E. Davis. The last couple years when the Reds would fall out of the race I'd still tune in to watch Wily Mo.

Newman4
04-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Boston didn't play today, but here's a pic of Wily Mo in his new BoSox duds:

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/FLCK11403252256.jpg

traderumor
04-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Baseball Digest Daily has a free stats tracker that is designed to keep track of one's fantasy team. I don't play fantasy baseball, but I set up a "team" last year to track former Reds' stats.

Here's a link (http://www.baseballdigestdaily.com/tracker/login.php)

traderumor
04-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Here's my roster from memory. Does anyone have any additions?

Acevedo, Jose
Bell, Rob
Boone, Aaron
Casey, Sean
Dessens, Elmer
Etherton, Seth
Graves, Danny
Guillen, Jose
Hancock, Josh
Jimenez, D'Angelo
Jones, Todd
Larson, Brandon
Lidle, Cory
Ortiz, Ramon
Pena, Wily Mo
Randa, Joe
Reith, Brian
Reitsma, Chris
Sullivan, Scott
Tomko, Brett
Williamson, Scott
Young, Dmitri

Heath
04-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Here's my roster from memory. Does anyone have any additions?

Acevedo, Jose
Bell, Rob
Boone, Aaron
Casey, Sean
Dessens, Elmer
Etherton, Seth
Graves, Danny
Guillen, Jose
Hancock, Josh
Jimenez, D'Angelo
Jones, Todd
Larson, Brandon
Lidle, Cory
Ortiz, Ramon
Pena, Wily Mo
Randa, Joe
Reith, Brian
Reitsma, Chris
Sullivan, Scott
Tomko, Brett
Williamson, Scott
Young, Dmitri

That team still would finish fifth. That makes me want to hurl. Or cry. Or both.

Don't forget about Mike Cameron.

redsmetz
04-07-2006, 10:40 AM

I had no idea he was still alive. He must be in contention for the oldest living Red at nearly 96 years old!

traderumor
04-07-2006, 10:49 AM
That team still would finish fifth. That makes me want to hurl. Or cry. Or both.

Don't forget about Mike Cameron.Good one, thanks.

Reds Fanatic
04-07-2006, 10:56 AM
2 others I can think of are Luke Hudson and Juan Castro

Blimpie
04-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Hec-a-tor Carasco's mom called and asked that he be added to the list...

vaticanplum
04-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Todd Walker?

Wily Mo's facial hair fits right in in Boston.

Roy Tucker
04-07-2006, 01:08 PM
pomme de terre

Heath
04-07-2006, 01:12 PM
pomme de terre

I'm sorry Roy, bablefish.com hasn't been integrated into redszone.com

Of course, if I remembered my 2 yrs of college French, then Voila', I wouldn't have had a problem :D

traderumor
04-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Wily Mo's facial hair fits right in in Boston.Too groomed.

blumj
04-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Too groomed.
Actually, it's remarkably similar to the facial hair of one of his new teammates.

blumj
04-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Wily Mo is starting in RF, batting 8th, and the game is just about to start.

AB 1: Bruce Chen blows 3 straight 89 mph FBs right by him.
AB 2: 4 pitch K this time, but he did take a pitch, and got cheered for it by all the Red Sox fans. Unfortunately, he didn't take the hint and swung at the next 2.

Gainesville Red
04-08-2006, 08:16 PM
AB 2: Swings at 3 of 4 pitches for the K.

Falls City Beer
04-08-2006, 08:23 PM
For the record, Boston really needs to get Pena in the lineup more often if they want to get any offensive output from him. You really shouldn't expect anything at all by starting the guy twice a week.

Falls City Beer
04-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Wow. And Boston lifts Pena in the 6th inning for a lefty hitter. I tell ya folks, you're going to have one surly player on your hands if you keep that kind of yo-yo-ing of the kid going on.

pedro
04-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Wow. And Boston lifts Pena in the 6th inning for a lefty hitter. I tell ya folks, you're going to have one surly player on your hands if you keep that kind of yo-yo-ing of the kid going on.

I honestly don't think they care. They got WMP to fill their needs. Not his. I doubt they're counting on him being the future of the franchise. If he is great nut I don't think they're going to spend a lot of time grooming him.

westofyou
04-08-2006, 09:33 PM
They got WMP to fill their needs. Not his.

Yep, now WMP is going to have to deal with it... not the other way around.

Falls City Beer
04-08-2006, 09:40 PM
My concern for Boston is not so much that he'll be a bad trip, but that he'll not produce for them at all.

All I'm saying is that Boston's not optimizing Wily Mo. It kind of makes me wonder why they acquired him. It just seems weird.

MrCinatit
04-08-2006, 11:10 PM
It seems Boston does this a lot - uses players to fill in little needs. For instance, look at Meyers, used to face lefties, or Roberts, who was used souly as a pinch runner.
While this can potentially work, it could turn around and bite you in the butt - especially if you run into extra innings and could really use that extra bat or arm.

westofyou
04-08-2006, 11:23 PM
It seems Boston does this a lot - uses players to fill in little needsCasey Stengal made an art of it, as did Earl Weaver.

blumj
04-08-2006, 11:58 PM
It was a very unusual situation. The Red Sox were clinging to a 2-0 lead after 5, Chen was out of the game, some RH rookie relief pitcher had just walked Youkilis to load the bases with 1 out, throwing all changeups, and no LHP even warming up in the O's pen.

blumj
04-10-2006, 12:02 PM
What do you guys think of Wily Mo's defense in CF? Coco Crisp might be out for a while.

WMR
04-10-2006, 12:08 PM
I always thought Wily Mo's defense in CF was underrated... I think he's much better in CF than RF. He seems to take better routes when he plays Centerfield... it will definitely be interesting.

KearnsyEars
04-10-2006, 01:18 PM
might be picking up wily mo on my fantasy team.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 03:50 PM
All I'm saying is that Boston's not optimizing Wily Mo. It kind of makes me wonder why they acquired him. It just seems weird.
Maybe they really wanted to dump Arryo? :dunno:

Tools of Ignorance
04-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Just my 2 cents, but if Pena is a part time or platoon player, and Arroyo is at least an average ML starter, we got the better end of this deal.

Average SP's are more valuable than average OF's (or at least rarer and harder to get). They are much more valuable than part time OF'ers.

pedro
04-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Looks like the Sox are going to use Adam Stern in CF while Crips is out.

registerthis
04-10-2006, 04:33 PM
while Crips is out.

Meanwhile, the Bloods are going to be backing up in RF.

TC81190
04-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Looks like the Sox are going to use Adam Stern in CF while Crips is out.

Wow. I really feel bad for Wily Mo. He could be great, but really, h's not gonna be now, not the way Boston is using him. :thumbdown

pedro
04-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Wow. I really feel bad for Wily Mo. He could be great, but really, h's not gonna be now, not the way Boston is using him. :thumbdown

The sox are trying to win now. they don;t have the time or inclination for projects.

blumj
04-10-2006, 09:37 PM
The sox are trying to win now. they don;t have the time or inclination for projects.
Well, they also seem to really love projects. Adam Stern is still a project, and Bronson Arroyo was one. Wily Mo is a bigger project and a much riskier one, but he was probably irresistible to them at least partly because of it.

Falls City Beer
04-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Well, they also seem to really love projects. Adam Stern is still a project, and Bronson Arroyo was one. Wily Mo is a bigger project and a much riskier one, but he was probably irresistible to them at least partly because of it.

Good point.

My original point in this thread was not to say that Boston needs to coddle Wily Mo to optimize his skill set--rather that Wily Mo needs at-bats in order to optimize his skill set. There are fewer things less effective than a "cold" or "rusty" Wily Mo.

I actually thought Wily Mo would be a true platoon with Nixon, which I think would get the most out of him without overexposing him.

Right now, Boston's just kind of throwing away ABs with this hyper-intermittent play.

Newman4
04-10-2006, 10:46 PM
I honestly don't think they care. They got WMP to fill their needs. Not his. I doubt they're counting on him being the future of the franchise. If he is great nut I don't think they're going to spend a lot of time grooming him.

When's Wily Mo a free-agent?

pedro
04-10-2006, 10:53 PM
When's Wily Mo a free-agent?

I think after 2008

Doc. Scott
04-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Good point.

My original point in this thread was not to say that Boston needs to coddle Wily Mo to optimize his skill set--rather that Wily Mo needs at-bats in order to optimize his skill set. There are fewer things less effective than a "cold" or "rusty" Wily Mo.

I actually thought Wily Mo would be a true platoon with Nixon, which I think would get the most out of him without overexposing him.

Right now, Boston's just kind of throwing away ABs with this hyper-intermittent play.

FCB, you've been spot on with your last few statements about Pena. It's why I keep saying here and elsewhere that it isn't going to be this year that Wily Mo makes the Reds look foolish. He'll have to be traded again for that.

Nugget
04-10-2006, 11:22 PM
They're not going to play WMP for the sake of giving him AB's when they have other players around. I think when he was traded the Boston media indicated he was only ever going to be the platoon outfielder and was probably going to be fifth choice if the Red Sox had their full compliment. Boston traded on the basis that he may be able to hit one or two long balss in the games where they were resting their starting outfield. Given that they just extended David Ortiz I don't think they have any long term plans for WMP.

Falls City Beer
04-10-2006, 11:26 PM
They're not going to play WMP for the sake of giving him AB's when they have other players around. I think when he was traded the Boston media indicated he was only ever going to be the platoon outfielder and was probably going to be fifth choice if the Red Sox had their full compliment. Boston traded on the basis that he may be able to hit one or two long balss in the games where they were resting their starting outfield. Given that they just extended David Ortiz I don't think they have any long term plans for WMP.

Then Boston's going to need Arroyo's services more than Pena's, if all Pena is going to do is pinch-hit, or get a weekly start.

Particularly with their Pre-Cambrian rotation.

Nugget
04-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Well obviously Theo thought they were a pitching rich organisation or that Arroyo was not in the plans and when Krivs came along with an offer with WMP he thought what the hell. Given that there are now rumours surrounding the acquisition of Dontrelle Willis it may be a rethink or Theo just didn't want a guy he didn't sign.

SteelSD
04-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Well obviously Theo thought they were a pitching rich organisation or that Arroyo was not in the plans and when Krivs came along with an offer with WMP he thought what the hell.

You think GM's win World Series titles just throwing around talent for whatever just because they can?

And on a side note, I have ways of making you Aussies type the letter "z".;)

Given that there are now rumours surrounding the acquisition of Dontrelle Willis it may be a rethink or Theo just didn't want a guy he didn't sign.

Wasn't Epstein the GM (or at minimum, the Asst. GM) when the Red Sox claimed Arroyo off waivers?

Betterread
04-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Wasn't Epstein the GM (or at minimum, the Asst. GM) when the Red Sox claimed Arroyo off waivers?

He sure was. Hired November 2002, and Arroyo was claimed off waivers in Feb. 2003. The hometown discount contract came in Jan. 2006. Then the trade to the Reds within 3 months. Epstein officially became a shill with no integrity that day. Epstein will never regain his previous successes.

Here's a reminder of the news story on 1/19/2006:
The 28-year-old right-hander took a hometown discount from the Red Sox on Thursday, agreeing to a three-year contract worth about $11.2 million. Arroyo said he took the deal against the advice of his agents because he liked playing in Boston.

"I signed at a pretty good discount," Arroyo said in a conference call with reporters. "They felt going year-to-year would be more beneficial for me financially. ... They felt like I was leaving close to $4 million on the table. But I could be in a car wreck tomorrow. So, at this point in my career, it's obviously benefiting me with a little bit of security."

SteelSD
04-11-2006, 01:08 AM
He sure was. Hired November 2002, and Arroyo was claimed off waivers in Feb. 2003. The hometown discount contract came in Jan. 2006. Then the trade to the Reds within 3 months. Epstein officially became a shill with no integrity that day. Epstein will never regain his previous successes.

Bad karma? You've been watching too much "My Name is Earl" methinks. ;)

Here's a reminder of the news story on 1/19/2006:
The 28-year-old right-hander took a hometown discount from the Red Sox on Thursday, agreeing to a three-year contract worth about $11.2 million. Arroyo said he took the deal against the advice of his agents because he liked playing in Boston.

"I signed at a pretty good discount," Arroyo said in a conference call with reporters. "They felt going year-to-year would be more beneficial for me financially. ... They felt like I was leaving close to $4 million on the table. But I could be in a car wreck tomorrow. So, at this point in my career, it's obviously benefiting me with a little bit of security."

Neither here nor there really, but I have no sympathy for a multi-millionare who doesn't have the smarts to negotiate at least a limited no-trade or salary escalation clause in their contract when signing for more than one year. Arroyo was dumb. His agents told him he was dumb and he pays them to be smarter than he. But Arroyo did it anyway for reasons that made sense to him. And, as he's the guy who put pen to paper on the contract, he knew full well that he had no guarantees as to where he'd be playing.

By all accounts, Epstein said is that the Red Sox weren't currently looking to trade Arroyo. That's like an employer stating after a layoff that there are no plans to initiate further layoffs. Technically, they're being truthful (as was Epstein). But anyone with half a brain knows that doesn't mean a single thing once "current" becomes "past". And when dealing with business, "technically" matters.

Arroyo set himself up for life with the deal. In the end he's cattle who didn't want to be herded but did nothing to stay the prod. He chose to play baseball. He did so knowing that he'd be controlled by a team for X amount of time the moment he signed a contract that contained no clauses guaranteeing him employment in the locale of his choice. That's Arroyo's bad- not Epstein's.

And don't even get me started on Alfonso Soriano.:evil:

blumj
04-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Epstein wasn't even employed by the Red Sox at the time Arroyo signed that contract. What happens to Bronson's earning power if he just signs the one year deal, then spends the whole season pitching in middle relief for the Red Sox? And if they don't trade him, does he ever even get the opportunity to be a starting pitcher again, or does he spend the rest of his career in the bullpen? I know he didn't want to be traded, and I really wish they hadn't for a lot of reasons, but he's probably better off because they did. The Reds need what he can do a lot more than the Red Sox do, and eventually it would have mattered. They would have been wasting him.

Nugget
04-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Blumj is correct Theo was there for the original claim but was not around for the contract extension.

toledodan
04-11-2006, 02:50 AM
i don't know if this was posted anywhere but coco crisp was placed on the DL. pena should get some starting time for the next couple of weeks.

SteelSD
04-11-2006, 03:22 AM
Epstein wasn't even employed by the Red Sox at the time Arroyo signed that contract. What happens to Bronson's earning power if he just signs the one year deal, then spends the whole season pitching in middle relief for the Red Sox? And if they don't trade him, does he ever even get the opportunity to be a starting pitcher again, or does he spend the rest of his career in the bullpen? I know he didn't want to be traded, and I really wish they hadn't for a lot of reasons, but he's probably better off because they did. The Reds need what he can do a lot more than the Red Sox do, and eventually it would have mattered. They would have been wasting him.

Read my post again. Epstein stated that the Red Sox gave no assurances to Arroyo.

http://www3.whdh.com/news/articles/sports/BO16363/

Epstein said the team didn't agree not to trade Arroyo but told him no trade talks involving him were in the works at the time.

Not sure how I can make that more clear. I figured that Epstein not being in the Sox front office at the time would be understood rather than having to be outright stated as fact. Epstein stated that, at the time of Arroyo's signing, the Red Sox didn't currently have any plans to trade him.

blumj
04-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Read my post again. Epstein stated that the Red Sox gave no assurances to Arroyo.

Not sure how I can make that more clear.
Maybe I'm the one who needs to be more clear. I'm not sure how you got the idea I was arguing with you, I thought I was backing up your point. Theo isn't obligated even if Hoyer had promised anything and Arroyo himself insists he didn't.

Getting back to Wily Mo, it's difficult to judge how the Red Sox are going to use him when the first 6 games they've faced almost a steady stream of RHP, and some tough ones at that. They have a lot of LHPs coming up, plus Coco's injury, so he should be getting much more consistent playing time over the next few weeks.

SteelSD
04-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Maybe I'm the one who needs to be more clear. I'm not sure how you got the idea I was arguing with you, I thought I was backing up your point. Theo isn't obligated even if Hoyer had promised anything and Arroyo himself insists he didn't.

Getting back to Wily Mo, it's difficult to judge how the Red Sox are going to use him when the first 6 games they've faced almost a steady stream of RHP, and some tough ones at that. They have a lot of LHPs coming up, plus Coco's injury, so he should be getting much more consistent playing time over the next few weeks.

Sorry about that, blumj. I thought you were inferring that I mistakenly positioned Epstein as being around for the extension. My bad. Wires crossed late at night. Apologies.

sigep529
04-11-2006, 07:38 PM
From the "Adventures of Wily Mo" Dept.:

It seems that young Pena gave up another homer with his glove at Fenway today. He should have that first Gold Glove soon.

Per Rotoworld.com
http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=2409

Keith Foulke, again called on to set up Jonathan Papelbon, gave up a two-run homer in the eighth inning on Tuesday.
It was good news, bad news for those of you who own both relievers, as the homer created a save situation that wouldn't have been there otherwise. The two-run homer off the bat of Frank Catalanotto should have been caught, but Wily Mo Pena, who replaced an injured Trot Nixon in right field, backed into the low wall and had the ball go off the top of his glove. Foulke wasn't as sharp today as he was Sunday, though he wasn't all that bad either. Papelbon followed him in the ninth and pitched a perfect inning for his fourth save.

Willy
04-15-2006, 09:06 AM
sigep529
I saw it and I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

blumj
04-15-2006, 09:43 AM
He's been playing everyday with no other mishaps yet. The crowd seems to be liking him, as a "Willy Mo" chant broke out when he was at the plate in the 9th inning the other day. He get's huge cheers every single time he takes a pitch, it's pretty funny. I can't really tell if it's an attempt at positive reinforcement or sarcasm, but there's definitely something playful about the way the crowd interacts with him, like they do with Manny.

Spitball
04-15-2006, 10:43 AM
He's been playing everyday with no other mishaps yet. The crowd seems to be liking him, as a "Willy Mo" chant broke out when he was at the plate in the 9th inning the other day. He get's huge cheers every single time he takes a pitch, it's pretty funny. I can't really tell if it's an attempt at positive reinforcement or sarcasm, but there's definitely something playful about the way the crowd interacts with him, like they do with Manny.

Boston crowds seem to take on a collective mindset. They may love a player for his uniqueness and embrace his faults. Awful fielding Dick Stuart once received a standing ovation for cleanly "fielding" a hotdog wrapper that was blowing across the infield. Stuart could hit the ball like Wily Mo (once hit 66 in minor league season) but could care less about his fielding. Once when complimented on catching a line drive, he said, "I used to be able to get out of the way of those." The fans accepted him despite his faults.

Carl Yastrzemski, a native New Englander, was never really loved, but Luis Tiant from Cuba was loved, not for his pitching so much as his rolly-poly body, squeeky voice, and cigars. You could feel the indifference at games for Yaz and the warmth for El Tiante.

I stated it here and on the Red Sox board, Wily Mo is in the perfect town because he will be embraced by those fans for his unique name and Paul Bunyanish power.

Newman4
04-15-2006, 10:51 AM
I think after 2008

That's about the same time as Junior's contract is done. Hey sign up Wily Mo during his prime years long term. :beerme:

Spitball
04-16-2006, 09:43 AM
That's about the same time as Junior's contract is done. Hey sign up Wily Mo during his prime years long term. :beerme:

It would be fun to have WMP back, but I'd rather invest those big bucks on pitchers rather than an outfielder. How many championships have been built with Sosa, Griffey, or Bonds taking up great chunks of the payroll?

Besides, if WMP produces in Boston they'll want him back, and the Reds would be fools to try to out bid them for his services.

blumj
04-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Misadventures for Wily Mo in RF today, turning singles into triples. Fenway is brutal. He's been having good at bats, though, just not much to show for it today.

WMR
04-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Per Chip's request:

Wily Mo is still alive in Boston (reports conflicting). Hasn't played since the 22nd.

Wily Mo has had 7 ABs in his last 5 games played: 1 hit and 2 walks in those ABs.

traderumor
04-26-2006, 05:58 PM
I think WMP needs to start on his Karma list. The dude just can't buy a break.

TeamBoone
04-26-2006, 08:34 PM
I feel bad for Wily. I hope Boston trades him to a team where he can play every day (or at least a whole lot more playing time than he's getting there).

He rusts on the bench.

MrCinatit
04-26-2006, 08:35 PM
I would not be surprised to see Boston dangle him as bait later in the season to help fill in one of their other holes. I really do not see him playing much with the Redsox.

pedro
04-26-2006, 08:39 PM
I have a hard time believing WMP would get a chance to start for anyone besides maybe the Royals, Rockies, or Pirates.

blumj
04-26-2006, 09:05 PM
He just hit a HR. The guys who've been starting in CF for the Sox in Coco Crisp's absense can't hit to save their lives. Wily Mo is in RF tonight against Cliff Lee, but he'll be getting some starts in CF this week.

CTA513
04-26-2006, 09:06 PM
He just hit a HR.

Thats after he looked horrible striking out on a breaking ball the atbat before.

blumj
04-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Thats after he looked horrible striking out on a breaking ball the atbat before.
Well, it's not like he's the only one Lee has made look bad tonight. He is the only one to put a run on the board, however, so I'll take it.

Jr's Boy
04-26-2006, 11:21 PM
No longer a Red,good riddance.

Newman4
04-26-2006, 11:22 PM
I'd still take him back lol. Long live Wily Mo!

Marc D
04-26-2006, 11:27 PM
I have a hard time believing WMP would get a chance to start for anyone besides maybe the Royals, Rockies, or Pirates.

I think any AL team without a big time DH could use him.

Give WMP 500+ AB's and he'll put up the numbers. If you have the type of team that can use a high K/high HR guy like him then he'd be a great pick up. For the life of me I can't imagine the Yankee's being any worse with hime at DH than Bernie at this point in his career.

TeamBoone
04-27-2006, 12:17 AM
No longer a Red,good riddance.

Do you feel that way about every ex Red?

blumj
04-27-2006, 02:49 PM
He's starting in CF tonight, Thank God. I believe it's on ESPN 2 if anyone's interested. If nothing else, the potential for comic relief is there with Manny and Wily Mo side by side. I just hope no one gets hurt.

registerthis
04-27-2006, 02:59 PM
I think any AL team without a big time DH could use him.

Give WMP 500+ AB's and he'll put up the numbers. If you have the type of team that can use a high K/high HR guy like him then he'd be a great pick up. For the life of me I can't imagine the Yankee's being any worse with hime at DH than Bernie at this point in his career.

I agree. WMP could easily mash 35 Hrs and 90 rbi in the DH spot. There are many AL teams who would love that--including the NYY.

OldXOhio
04-27-2006, 03:07 PM
I'd still take him back lol. Long live Wily Mo!

Womack's still available for trade.

flyer85
04-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Funny comment from Neyer who IIRC was bullish when the Sox first made the trade(that was before he saw WMP play the OF in person). SInce then Neyer has written an article about WMP and his aversion to OF defense.

Mark (Austin, TX): Rob - Wily Mo starts in CF tonight - excited??

SportsNation Rob Neyer: Everybody should watch, and see how many different paths he can take to the same fly ball.

WMR
04-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Here's to Wily playing a good CF tonight and stiicking it in all their noses! ::fingers crossed::

OldXOhio
04-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Here's to Wily playing a good CF tonight and stiicking it in all their noses! ::fingers crossed::

Here's to Wily in a Red Sox uniform.

Matt700wlw
04-27-2006, 05:20 PM

I saw he signed with an Arena Football team....

Blimpie
04-27-2006, 05:26 PM
I saw he signed with an Arena Football team....Actually, he just became part owner of the Austin franchise. But he DID joke that he could take the field, if needed.

KronoRed
04-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Womack's still available for trade.
I hear the Lookouts are after him

CTA513
04-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Pena playing tonight and is 1 for 3 with 2 strikeouts... thats 15 Ks in 34 atbats. :eek:

remdog
04-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Also playing in that game is former Red Ben Broussard, himself a subject of a number of threads regarding his performance, post trade.

BB is, as I type this, 3 for 4 with 2 HR's and 7 RBI lifting his average to .397 with 16 RBI for the season.

Rem

remdog
04-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Update that to 4 for 5 with 8 RBI and a .407 BA. :beerme:

Rem

Heath
04-27-2006, 11:23 PM
And the Indians thought about a DFA or a trade.

What would have we gotten for Broussard & Phillips?? Two Cheese Coneys and Two PTBNL?

MWM
04-28-2006, 02:11 AM
Wily MO is slugging .548 and has an OBP of .361 for an OPS of .909. NOt bad.

TOBTTReds
04-28-2006, 03:10 AM

And we know he is not very good when he gets partial playing time. Probably the worst pinch hitter I've seen. I love the guy, but he needs to be in there at all times to be at his best.

blumj
04-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Do you guys know why he uses such a heavy bat? I'm no expert, but when a guy can hit the ball that hard, but has trouble making contact, a heavy bat doesn't seem like the best approach. He hit a liner to LF in his first AB last night, almost anyone else hits it there, it's caught pretty easily, but the LF just couldn't handle it. If he hits balls like that off the wall in Fenway, they're going to make it back to the IF on their own.

vermonter
04-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Do you guys know why he uses such a heavy bat? I'm no expert, but when a guy can hit the ball that hard, but has trouble making contact, a heavy bat doesn't seem like the best approach. He hit a liner to LF in his first AB last night, almost anyone else hits it there, it's caught pretty easily, but the LF just couldn't handle it. If he hits balls like that off the wall in Fenway, they're going to make it back to the IF on their own.

That single was maybe the hardest hit single I have ever seen. It was hit right at the left fielder, but he didn't have time to react, just field it like a third baseman fielding a one-hopper on an almost-too-late stab to his right.

FWIW he got his first start in CF last night and looked much more comfortable there than in RF. Hopefully Francona noticed ...

blumj
04-28-2006, 12:42 PM
That single was maybe the hardest hit single I have ever seen. It was hit right at the left fielder, but he didn't have time to react, just field it like a third baseman fielding a one-hopper on an almost-too-late stab to his right.

FWIW he got his first start in CF last night and looked much more comfortable there than in RF. Hopefully Francona noticed ...

Well, since the Reds fans aren't using their Wily Mo thread right now, I hope they won't mind too much if the RS fans take it over for a little bit.

He can't possibly put Willie Harris back out there again, can he? I know a lot of RS fans are down on the trade, but all starting pitchers are going to have some bad starts(sorry, guys, even Bronson), and the offense is what's really starting to scare me. They need Wily Mo in the lineup, and I think they're going to need him even when they get Crisp back, but there won't be anywhere to put him.

SteelSD
04-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Do you guys know why he uses such a heavy bat?

It helps anchor him to the Earth. That's important because when he swings and misses, I do believe he'd achieve escape velocity with a lighter bat.

So I'm not sure what the issue is. Paul Bunyan used a bigger-than-normal axe and no one seemed to complain about that.

:D

WMR
07-21-2006, 10:48 PM
A funny instance of irony concerning Wily Mo's most recent travails.

Anyone see the AB Wily Mo had last night in Fenway when he hit a flyball to the RF'er and the RF'er made a 'Wily Mo-inspired' catch-attempt/fumble/collapse.

NJReds
08-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Noticed that Wily Mo is a single away from the cycle today. He'll get one, possibly two more ABs today.
3-for-3 w/3 RBI. I always liked the guy, glad he's doing well in Boston.

11larkin11
08-12-2006, 05:14 PM
I predict a K for him in his final AB...unless it goes to extras.

11larkin11
08-12-2006, 05:23 PM
And I was right...*bows*

Eric_Davis
08-12-2006, 05:24 PM
I predict a K for him in his final AB...unless it goes to extras.

Pitch 1 - Foul
Pitch 2 - Called Strike
Pitch 3 - Swinging Strike

Wily Mo Pena strikes out swinging.

WMR
08-13-2006, 05:28 PM
I miss you Wily MO!!!!!!

WMR
08-19-2006, 03:14 AM
I watched your ABs today and tonight, Wily Mo, I think you've improved your plate discipline somewhat and will benefit greatly from whatever plate-#-opportunities you are provided!! :)

Good luck, Wily Mo.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2006, 10:49 AM

Wily Mo's made a career so far of destroying pitching for 150 ABs, but he stumbles off a cliff of his own making at some point in the season. It's astonishing.

But the guy only has a 170 ABs in Boston. With regular PT his OB will plummet. Does he have value? Sure, in a Jose Guillen kind of way, but let's be realistic about who he is as a player.

dougdirt
08-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Wily Mo's made a career so far of destroying pitching for 150 ABs, but he stumbles off a cliff of his own making at some point in the season. It's astonishing.

But the guy only has a 170 ABs in Boston. With regular PT his OB will plummet. Does he have value? Sure, in a Jose Guillen kind of way, but let's be realistic about who he is as a player.
Yeah, he is a young player who is finally getting a little bit of playing time and developing into someone who can be quite special. thats realistic.

Falls City Beer
08-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah, he is a young player who is finally getting a little bit of playing time and developing into someone who can be quite special. thats realistic.

He got more playing time in Cincinnati than Boston.

dougdirt
08-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Only becuase he was hurt this year.... but I also meant pt in general, from both us and teh Sox becuase well he didnt have time to develop in the minors fully, so he was learning on the bench and learning while playing twice a week at times with the Reds.

blumj
08-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Wily Mo made the play of the game last night, throwing a runner out at the plate to preserve a 1 run lead. Jered Weaver made him look silly at the plate, but he was hardly alone there, and Wily Mo got his revenge with a perfect throw from LF.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Just out of curiosity, when will WMP be hitting free agency?

klw
08-25-2006, 06:02 PM
And when he does can we rework his contract so he has more options?:)

Ravenlord
08-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Wily Mo made the play of the game last night, throwing a runner out at the plate to preserve a 1 run lead. Jered Weaver made him look silly at the plate, but he was hardly alone there, and Wily Mo got his revenge with a perfect throw from LF.
i believe it was in 2003, but LaRue's inability to hold to the ball cost Pena three assists in one game. for all of Pena's defensive foils, he has an accurate canon.

Ravenlord
08-25-2006, 06:06 PM
2008 if he takes nothing but arbitration.

blumj
08-25-2006, 07:10 PM
i believe it was in 2003, but LaRue's inability to hold to the ball cost Pena three assists in one game. for all of Pena's defensive foils, he has an accurate canon.
I've noticed that seems to happen a lot when Wily Mo is the runner, too, no matter who the catcher is. I can't imagine why.

NJReds
08-30-2006, 03:17 PM
I saw on the ESPN ticker that WMP is "out indefinitely" with a wrist injury. The guy is an amazing athlete, but he has a lot of trouble staying on the field.

The Red Sox have really fallen apart: Ortiz, Manny, WMP, Varitek and Nixon are all out of the lineup...leading to this lineup today:

C. Crisp cf
A. Cora ss
M. Loretta dh
K. Youkilis lf
M. Lowell 3b
G. Kapler rf
D. Mirabelli c
C. Pena 1b
D. Pedroia 2b

Heath
08-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I saw on the ESPN ticker that WMP is "out indefinitely" with a wrist injury. The guy is an amazing athlete, but he has a lot of trouble staying on the field.

The Red Sox have really fallen apart: Ortiz, Manny, WMP, Varitek and Nixon are all out of the lineup...leading to this lineup today:

C. Crisp cf
A. Cora ss
M. Loretta dh
K. Youkilis lf
M. Lowell 3b
G. Kapler rf
D. Mirabelli c
C. Pena 1b
D. Pedroia 2b

There would have been a "Heath - 2b" today, but the boss won't let me off. Something about lack of vacation days and keeping my day job.

Oh well.

WMR
04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I saw Wily Mo get a PH K yesterday for the BoSox.

Looks like he'll be getting the squeeze quite a bit this year till the glass man, J.D. Drew, takes his seasonal trip to the DL.

Hopefully he'll at least get consistent ABs vs. LHPs.

TOBTTReds
04-03-2007, 02:40 PM
He's probably the worst PH'er ever.

westofyou
04-12-2007, 01:32 PM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070411&content_id=1893245&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

BOSTON -- Nobody is rooting harder for Thursday's weather forecast of rain and snow to be wrong than Red Sox outfielder Wily Mo Pena. The contest against the Mariners, scheduled for 4:05 p.m. ET at Fenway Park, is Pena's de facto Opening Day.

The slugging outfielder, aside from three cameo at-bats, has had to watch from the bench as his teammates have played the first eight games of the season.

"I'm excited, but I don't know about the weather," said Pena. "When I start my first game, that's going to be my Opening Day."

Red Sox manager Terry Francona, in an ideal world, would like to get Pena somewhere between 350-400 at-bats. But with an entrenched outfield of Manny Ramirez, Coco Crisp and J.D. Drew, that could be a challenge.

"I don't know, you never know," said Pena. "You never know what's going to happen. I just have to be ready. He told me that, so I hope they give it to me. I just have to be ready."

Pena has been putting in extra hours to stay sharp.

"I've been doing everything -- extra BP, just working hard, doing everything I can to stay in good shape," he said.

Of particular interest to Pena has been his work on his outfield defense. That paid off in the ninth inning of Tuesday's Fenway opener, when he caught the final out of the game by snaring a drive just in front of the short bullpen wall in right. In last year's home opener, Pena knocked a fly ball into the bleachers for a home run on an eerily similar type of play.

"I don't want to remember that one," quipped Pena. "It was the same play. Last year, I didn't know how to play this right field. I've been working hard out there. Especially in the Dominican, I was working on my defense. The first day of Spring Training, I told them I wanted to work on my defense, so we got [outfield instructor] DeMarlo [Hale] and we've been working hard so far."