PDA

View Full Version : Interesting question

Benihana
04-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Bronson Arroyo and Brandon McCarthy have similar backgrounds, in that they have both shown promise at the ML level while being demoted to the bullpens for their respective pitching-rich teams. Obviously we traded Wily Mo for Arroyo two weeks ago, so it is a moot point regardless, but the question remains- could we have had McCarthy instead? Although I don't mind the Arroyo deal as much as some, as I think this team will score regardless and Arroyo will be a serviceable #3 pitcher for the next three years, in my mind McCarthy would have been the better score.

TC81190
04-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Nope, he's their franchise guy.

LincolnparkRed
04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I like the premise but I don't think Kenny Williams would trade McCarthy away because he is younger, cheaper and with Arroyo you know what you have but with McCarthy you get the whole "potential/ceiling" part.

KronoRed
04-05-2006, 04:58 PM
For Dunn and EE maybe.

RedsManRick
04-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Wily Mo would have nowhere to play in Chicago and there's no way they trade Arroyo for a backup. Further, McCarthy is only 22(!!), in his 2nd year (2 years to go until he's even arb eligible) and has legitimate ace potential. Arroyo will costs millions over the next 3 years (though reasonable), grades out at a #3 starter, and is 28 years old.

Put simply, no -- we could not have had McCarthy instead.

Red Leader
04-06-2006, 01:10 PM
I still think if the White Sox need an OF when the deadline rolls around this year and we offer Griffey, that McCarthy would be a name mentioned as someone the Reds would want, and at that point, I think it would be possible, if we paid a good deal of Jr's salary and he agreed to the trade, but those are a lot of "if's", and I'm not even sure "IF" the White Sox need a lefty bat now that they have Thome...