PDA

View Full Version : Reds/Pirates Pitching Matchups

reds44
04-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Thu. vs. Pittsburgh -- Brandon Claussen vs. Ian Snell
Fri. vs. Pittsburgh -- Eric Milton vs. Paul Maholm
Sat. vs. Pittsburgh -- Aaron Harang vs. Oliver Perez
Sun. vs. Pittsburgh -- Dave Williams vs. Victor Santos

We need Harang to pitch well on Saturday because it always seems as if Perez shuts us down.

KronoRed
04-05-2006, 05:34 PM
I am never going to see Milton pitch again..ever...he took my undefeated streak at Reds games and stomped it.

Might have to go tomorrow though :D

vaticanplum
04-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Sun. vs. Pittsburgh -- Dave Williams vs. TBA

This is the only matchup against Dave Williams that could possibly provide me with any degree of comfort at the moment.

KronoRed
04-05-2006, 05:35 PM
I hear TBA has a nasty slider.

fisch11
04-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Our lefties can't hit Perez so hopefully Harang has his A game. As far as games 1 and 2, let's hope our lefties can keep it to 5 or less and our bats have a real good chance.

OnBaseMachine
04-05-2006, 05:42 PM
TBA is Victor Santos.

reds44
04-05-2006, 05:47 PM
TBA is Victor Santos.
Ok thanks. I edited him in.

Chip R
04-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Normally I would be scared out of my wits to face Perez but he really has not been himself over the past year. Jr. got a hit off him in the WBC after going 0 for his career off him. You never know what can happen in a situation like that. Maybe Perez has lost his mojo.

TeamBoone
04-05-2006, 07:10 PM
There must be a reason Dave Williams was delayed a day and Harang snuck in after Milton. Can anyone share that reason?

Thanks.

RedsIn07
04-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Normally I would be scared out of my wits to face Perez but he really has not been himself over the past year. Jr. got a hit off him in the WBC after going 0 for his career off him. You never know what can happen in a situation like that. Maybe Perez has lost his mojo.
True, but Griffey can only have so many AB's against him over the past 2 years plus Perez struck out 9 in 5.1 IP on Opening Day.

KronoRed
04-05-2006, 07:15 PM
There must be a reason Dave Williams was delayed a day and Harang snuck in after Milton. Can anyone share that reason?

Thanks.
I think they did that last year as well, Harang will have 5 days rest.

TeamBoone
04-05-2006, 07:18 PM
But that doesn't give him five days rest... it's only four.

reds44
04-05-2006, 07:29 PM
But that doesn't give him five days rest... it's only four.
You pitch every 5th day right?

I think.

KronoRed
04-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Ya.
Day off tuesday so he's fine.

TeamBoone
04-05-2006, 07:37 PM
If there are no days off, it's actually every 6th day because there are five guys in the rotation. But that's not really my concern; I was just pointing out that he was getting four days off, not five.

Anyway, Harang pitched Monday... off Tues, Arroyo Wed, Claussen Thurs, Milton Fri.... then Harang is pitching on Sat instead of Williams.

My question is why is he pitching on Sat instead of Williams?

Chip R
04-05-2006, 08:08 PM

maybe it is because they want to win.

Newman4
04-05-2006, 08:13 PM
If there are no days off, it's actually every 6th day because there are five guys in the rotation. But that's not really my concern; I was just pointing out that he was getting four days off, not five.

Anyway, Harang pitched Monday... off Tues, Arroyo Wed, Claussen Thurs, Milton Fri.... then Harang is pitching on Sat instead of Williams.

Um, I don't know, but maybe Narron thinks Dave has about the same chance of keeping the Reds in the game as a popsicle in the land down under, and we ain't talking about Austrailia. :)

By the way, I'm doing a little pre-series scouting by watching the Pirates play Milwaukee on the free Extra Innings preview and Casey just ended the 1st with hitting into a DP. Gosh I miss that. Got my Casey GDIP fix, now I'm pumped for the weekend! Wooo Hooo :evil:

Aronchis
04-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Whats that? 3 dirty deeds already? The man wants Rice's record this year. Best of luck;)

Patrick Bateman
04-05-2006, 08:36 PM

4 days off is the usual in a 5 man rotation. Since we had an off day, Harang is pitching on his usual reast.

reds44
04-05-2006, 08:38 PM
4 days off is the usual in a 5 man rotation. Since we had an off day, Harang is pitching on his usual reast.
Pitcher A pitchers
Day 1- pitcher B
Day 2- C
Day 3- D
Day 4- E
Day 5- A pitchers again

You are correct, it is every 5th day, not 6th.

NatiRedGals
04-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks once again Reds44 Heres the Scouting Reports
Thursday, April 6
Scouting Report:
Snell (1-2, 5.14 ERA in 2005) posted a 58-20 record in the Minor Leagues and will look to make the most of his first opportunity to start regularly in the big leagues. The right-hander has gone 1-3 with a 7.45 ERA in six starts with the Pirates. In his only career outing against the Brewers, Snell was charged with five runs in one inning.

Last season was Claussen's (10-11, 4.21 ERA in 2005) first full year in the Cincinnati rotation. He established career highs in every statisical category and was the staff's second-most consistent starter behind Aaron Harang. The lefty was 2-0 with a 1.74 ERA in three games against the Pirates in 2005.

NatiRedGals
04-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Friday April 7th
Scouting Report:
The former No. 1 draft pick Maholm (3-1, 2.18 ERA in 2005) was outstanding in six starts as a rookie last season, holding opposing hitters to a .209 cumulative batting average. In two starts against Cincinnati, Maholm limited the Reds to two runs and nine hits in 14 innings with seven walks and 12 strikeouts.

Milton (8-15, 6.47 ERA in 2005) is coming off a rough 2005 season in which he gave up a club-record 40 home runs in his first season with Cincinnati. He was 1-1 with a 5.47 ERA in four Spring Training games, but missed time with a strained right calf. He has since fully recovered.

Saturday April 8th
Scouting Report:
Perez looked like the staff ace of 2004 during his Opening Day start against the Brewers. The southpaw held Milwaukee to one run on three hits in 5 1/3 innings by skillfully mixing in his splitter and slider with a fastball that topped out at 92 mph. Perez had nine strikeouts in the outing, including seven strikeouts among the final 10 batters he faced.

Harang was roughed up for nine runs (six earned) and nine hits over five innings in Monday's 16-7 Opening Day loss to the Cubs. On a blustery day, the right-hander quickly fell into a 5-0 first inning hole but temporarily recovered. He retired 10 of 11 batters at one point but couldn't get an out in a sixth inning, when Chicago added seven runs. Lifetime vs. Pittsburgh, Harang is 5-2 with a 4.27 ERA -- including 1-1 with a 3.46 ERA in two games last season.

Sunday April 10th
Scouting Report:
Santos will look to rebound from a shaky debut with the Pirates in his second start. Tuesday, Santos continually fell behind Brewers hitters and was knocked out of the game after allowing three runs on eight hits and two walks in just 4 1/3 innings. Santos is 2-1 with a 7.03 ERA in eight career appearances against the Reds.

This will be Williams' first start against Pirates, who dealt him to Cincinnati in December for first baseman Sean Casey. The left-hander was the Pirates' only double-digit winning pitcher last season, where several career bests -- including a 138 2/3 innings pitched -- were established. In two career games at Great American Ball Park, Williams is 1-1 with a 4.09 ERA.

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-05-2006, 10:20 PM
williams vs t.b.a. ?? terrific batting average(which is likely what the pirates will have by the end of the game)

CincyRedsFan30
04-05-2006, 10:28 PM
When looking at the probables for the Pirates series, I got to looking at Dave Williams' numbers from last year, being he wasn't on the staff then.

I noticed that in almost all of his better outings (quality starts) he had more GB outs than FB outs. His poor outings he usually had an even number or more FB outs than GB outs. There were only one or two exceptions to that rule I think.

I didn't track his results before last year, but that is how it was last year.

Also, I believe he had about 13 Quality Starts in 23 Games Started last year, just for the record. (About 60 percent of the time) A few of his non-QS were because he didn't pitch long enough. He needs to be more pitch efficient this year and try to get more GB outs than FB outs.

TeamBoone
04-05-2006, 11:33 PM

Yes, I understand now, but again that's not my point.

Why is Harang pitching out of order in the rotation. It's not like they're skipping Williams as he's pitching the next day.

KronoRed
04-05-2006, 11:36 PM
The 5th guy gets bumped back a lot being the weakest pitcher, here he gets bumped a day back so Harang can go on his normal schedule, maybe Aaron doesn't want the extra day of rest.

CincyRedsFan30
04-05-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure, but I'm guess it's because Harang would have the normal time between starts (Monday and then again on Saturday) and since there was no game on Tuesday, no one would be off their schedule (ie Arroyo who pitched today, Wednesday, will again pitch on schedule on Monday). I think it has to do with the fact there was no game on Tuesday.

Cedric
04-05-2006, 11:38 PM
The 5th guy gets bumped back a lot being the weakest pitcher, here he gets bumped a day back so Harang can go on his normal schedule, maybe Aaron doesn't want the extra day of rest.

Exactly. You want pitchers going on their standard rest. 3 days is preferable to 5 days rest with some pitching coaches.

TeamBoone
04-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys. I was stymied because I don't ever remember seeing this before... a true phenomenon to me.

Nugget
04-06-2006, 12:59 AM
I think its just that when it was done last year and for some of the other teams the 5th guy hasn't come after the first. I think last year we didn't use a 5th starter until the third week and even then he slotted in after the #3.

Terry
04-06-2006, 02:24 AM
No reason why the Reds shouldn't take at least three games in this series.