PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Batter's Eye

TeamBoone
04-05-2006, 07:45 PM
During today's game, one of the announcers said something that boiled down to this: it's not so much that Great American Ball Park is a hitters' park, but more the size of the batter's eye. He said he'd heard more than one player mention that it's large and they can see the ball better in the GAB than most other ball parks (Lee is one of the players who told him that and he mentioned this when he was up to bat).

Is the batter's eye too big at the GAB? Thoughts?

RedsBaron
04-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I have no idea if hitters can see the ball better at GAB than at other parks, but, if so, I definitely would not change that. I want hitters to be able to have a clear view of the baseball, in part for reasons of safety. I have no wish to have a ballpark where the hitters cannot see a pitched ball as well as possible.

toledodan
04-05-2006, 08:09 PM
During today's game, one of the announcers said something that boiled down to this: it's not so much that Great American Ball Park is a hitters' park, but more the size of the batter's eye. He said he'd heard more than one player mention that it's large and they can see the ball better in the GAB than most other ball parks (Lee is one of the players who told him that and he mentioned this when he was up to bat).

Is the batter's eye too big at the GAB? Thoughts?

good question. i don't know what you could do to it that wouldn't effect our hitting as well.

Newman4
04-05-2006, 08:15 PM
John Mabry seems to see the batter's eye so well he just about hits it every time I watch the guy at GABP.

RedsManRick
04-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Based just on park factors, it seems to be a function of size/carry quite a bit. You can see this in the fact that the park is HORRIBLE for doubles, but great for homers. Those balls that other parks hold seem to jump out of here. If it was just an batter's eye issue, you'd expect every type of hit to increase.

KronoRed
04-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Remove the eye, and the outfield

Pitching problem solved :D

NatiRedGals
04-05-2006, 10:03 PM
HAH nay its just a hitters park people come people go almost everyone likes it look at derek lee today popped up felt like crap ball dropped wow a home run! :)

Chip R
04-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I thought they were going to paint that thing green. Did Bob not have enough money to paint it after he bought the team?

vaticanplum
04-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I thought they were going to paint that thing green. Did Bob not have enough money to paint it after he bought the team?

I always thought the batter's eye isn't allowed to be green, so as not to blend into the field. I could be confused though.