PDA

View Full Version : Were is the love for Arroyo after today?

George Foster
04-05-2006, 11:47 PM
I got on the zone late and to my dismay, there was very little talk about Arroyo's outing today against the little bears. What's up with that?
6 and 2/3 innings, 3 earned runs, NO WALKS, 7 K's, solo ding dong, drew a walk, and a sacrifice. Hell, he even mowed the field before the game. Not a bad start. The trade is looking better and better.:feedback:

TeamBoone
04-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Check the game thread. It's oozing love for Bronson.

remdog
04-05-2006, 11:54 PM
I got on the zone late and to my dismay, there was very little talk about Arroyo's outing today against the little bears. What's up with that?
6 and 2/3 innings, 3 earned runs, NO WALKS, 7 K's, solo ding dong, drew a walk, and a sacrifice. Hell, he even mowed the field before the game. Not a bad start. The trade is looking better and better.:feedback:

Two games into the season, getting excited about BA is the same as getting down on Dunn for his performance in game one.

BTW, your tag line is probably one of the more discusting things to have been posted on this board.

Rem

George Foster
04-05-2006, 11:57 PM

I never read the game thread, it's to long, but for you...I'll read it, thanks

Chip R
04-05-2006, 11:58 PM

Like George Grande doing a Cardinals game.

dougdirt
04-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Its just one start, one game. It wasnt the most impressive game either. I was there. It wasnt bad by any means, but he gave up two home runs. He served up an absolute bomb to Derrek Lee after Ross dropped the popup (why the heck was Ross even playing?). I like that he struck out 7 guys and walked none. I dont like that after getting ahead of Lee and almost getting him out, that he got hammered for a 2 run home run to let them right back into the game.

Johnny Footstool
04-06-2006, 12:30 AM
His breaking stuff was working like a charm against the Cubs. He had them diving at low breaking balls all day. He got into trouble when he tried to sneak a chest-high 91-mph fastball by Derrek Lee -- not a smart move.

If he sticks to the breaking stuff and keeps his high fastballs up out of the zone, he'll do well.

Caveat Emperor
04-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Like George Grande doing a Cardinals game.

Well, you know his story...when Jim Edmonds heads to the bat rack, it usually results in the Cardinals being on the smiling side of the scoreboard.

Terry
04-06-2006, 02:19 AM
I dont like that after getting ahead of Lee and almost getting him out, that he got hammered for a 2 run home run to let them right back into the game.

He was probably feeling a little bit let down for a couple minutes, after thinking he'd already gotten Lee out on that AB. I know I wasn't too happy at the time.

Topcat
04-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Bronson was vg today and I truly feel he will be an asset to the Reds. But that stool line in your sig, how old are you again ?

creek14
04-06-2006, 07:09 AM
I couldn't decided if Bronson isn't afraid to pitch inside or he just didn't have good command. Either way, it was nice to see some of the Scrubs bailing out of the box.

MrCinatit
04-06-2006, 07:28 AM
I couldn't decided if Bronson isn't afraid to pitch inside or he just didn't have good command. Either way, it was nice to see some of the Scrubs bailing out of the box.

i could be wrong, but i seem to remember he was not afraid to pitch inside - which really is what this team needs.
sometimes, it seems we have too many nice guys who are afraid to let batters know they do not appreciate the crowded plate.

cumberlandreds
04-06-2006, 07:35 AM
He looked just fine to me. Had a nasty breaking ball. He made two bad pitches and got burned on both of them. If Ross hadn't of dropped that ball it would have been an even better outing. Actually I thought they should have left him in to at least one more batter. He got the first two out in the 7th and then the 8 hitter dunked one down the left field line. I thought he still had his good stuff. I think he will be a good solid starter this season and may turn out to be the number one starter before it's all over with.

membengal
04-06-2006, 08:08 AM
He looked fine to me also, I don't remember the last time the Reds have had a pitcher with that kind of breaking stuff, and the ability to throw it from all different angles and at all different speeds. It was nice to see. He will give up the occasional homerun, so I am not sweating those two. Ross' drop was unbelieveable. The HR afterwards, apparently preordained.

wheels
04-06-2006, 08:43 AM
The homers he gave up were both to very good hitters. Ramirez owns GAB.

That last ST start, and yesterday could be an indicator of better K numbers this season, though.

Of course, it could also mean nothing, but I'm encouraged.

Johnny Footstool
04-06-2006, 09:20 AM
i could be wrong, but i seem to remember he was not afraid to pitch inside - which really is what this team needs.
sometimes, it seems we have too many nice guys who are afraid to let batters know they do not appreciate the crowded plate.

It's tough to pitch inside when the pitching staff's average fastball tops out at 90 mph.

Aceking
04-06-2006, 09:22 AM
BTW, your tag line is probably one of the more discusting things to have been posted on this board.

Rem

It's a reference to one of the funniest lines ever spoken on SNL.

mound_patrol
04-06-2006, 10:07 AM
You don't have to have a plus fastball to get in on people. You just can't let it run over the plate and you can't let them see the whole baseball. Keep it low and in so they can only see the top half of the ball and anyone can be an effective pitcher, even this Reds staff.
As for Bronson, I can't comment on his game because I was stuck watching ESPN news all darn day. But it sounds like he did well and it's promising.

Looks like we saw what the average Reds win will be, an 8-6 slugfest.

remdog
04-06-2006, 10:22 AM
It's a reference to one of the funniest lines ever spoken on SNL.

That makes it no less offensive.

Rem

Falls City Beer
04-06-2006, 10:42 AM
This is a pm issue, isn't it?

shredda2000
04-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I think we are seeing a different Bronson than the last time he was in the National League. He is older, wiser, and more confident than when he was with Pittsburgh.

forfreelin04
04-06-2006, 11:12 AM
I watched the game since I'm up around Cleveland and I thought Bronson did a great job. Made a bad pitch to Aramis and Lee. To Lee, who shoulda been out, he elevated a fastball that was supposed to be a waste pitch. It was real up in the zone butDerek is just to quick with his hands. Both of those guys just swing for the fence at GAB, and who could blame them? I was happy to see Bronson can swing a bat which is something all pitchers should be able to do. Harang is got to be the worst hitter of all time!
As far as pitching inside goes, it doesn't take that much speed it just takes some cajones. How many times does Lee have to hang over the plate and hit 30 bombs a year in GAB before some on throws one at his head. The Reds may have bad pitching and a home run stadium. But alot of that would change if they stopped acting like gentlemen while watching the balls fly out of the park.

BTW, I'm offended by the stool Dunn sig too George Foster. I'm offended that it wasn't in bigger font :)

UK Reds Fan
04-06-2006, 11:17 AM
The thing I was most impressed with Bronson was his ability to locate...especially the fastball. Even the Lee Hr was an above the belt fastball where Ross set up for it. If Bronson can keep hitting spots and get that curve going...I think we are on to a solid if not spectacular pitcher in the 2 or 3 spot.

Jr's Boy
04-06-2006, 11:30 AM
The thing I was most impressed with Bronson was his ability to locate...especially the fastball. Even the Lee Hr was an above the belt fastball where Ross set up for it. If Bronson can keep hitting spots and get that curve going...I think we are on to a solid if not spectacular pitcher in the 2 or 3 spot.

Well he had that curve going yesterday,nasty!

Spitball
04-06-2006, 11:44 AM

Arroyo is a harder throwing right handed version of Jamie Moyer. He sets up his fastball inside by getting right handed batters looking/leaning for that curveball on the outside. That way his 91 mph has the effects of a much faster pitch. A batter is setting up for the slower pitch outside then must really speed up the bat to catch up with inside. It's the reverse effect of the change up.

Early in his career, he had troubles because he didn't like to pitch inside. Batters could set up by leaning in to pound his curve breaking away. Now, he pitches fearlessly inside, and will surely be among the league leaders in hit batsmen like he was in the American League. That is why he became such a much better pitcher in Boston after leaving Pittsburg.

He got too much of the plate with Lee (it happens), but he is a fearless pitcher. I hope he doesn't let GAB mess him up. All pitchers make mistakes and those tend to play on pitchers' psychs.

Chip R
04-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Early in his career, he had troubles because he didn't like to pitch inside. Batters could set up by leaning in to pound his curve breaking away. Now, he pitches fearlessly inside, and will surely be among the league leaders in hit batsmen like he was in the American League. That is why he became such a much better pitcher in Boston after leaving Pittsburg.

He got too much of the plate with Lee (it happens), but he is a fearless pitcher. I hope he doesn't let GAB mess him up. All pitchers make mistakes and those tend to play on pitchers' psychs.

Pitching in Fenway tends to make one fearless - or unemployed. I like the fact he tends to hit opposing batsmen. Seems like we've been on the short end of that stick for a few years now. Hopefully some of our other pitchers can take a page from his book, so to speak.

indyred
04-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I was very happy seeing him out there. Great movement on his pitches. I see him in the 15-18 wins range.

Spitball
04-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Pitching in Fenway tends to make one fearless - or unemployed. I like the fact he tends to hit opposing batsmen. Seems like we've been on the short end of that stick for a few years now. Hopefully some of our other pitchers can take a page from his book, so to speak.

I remember former Red Sox pitcher Jim Lonborg went from a middle of the rotation starter in '66 to a 22 game winner in '67. The difference, he pointed out, was that he learned to knock batters down. Arroyo has learned the same lesson. By pitching inside, he makes it hard for batters to sit on outside pitches and hard to set up for that breaking curve.

Also, he has pitched with Pedro, Schilling, and Wells. I bet he has picked up a few "toughness" pointers.

paintmered
04-06-2006, 02:20 PM
This is a pm issue, isn't it?

Yes.