PDA

View Full Version : Pena

MartyFan
04-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Anyone know what is happening with former Tigers 1B Carlos Pena?

Seems to have been out there a long time after his relase.

BRM
04-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Anyone know what is happening with former Tigers 1B Carlos Pena?

Seems to have been out there a long time after his relase.

No kidding. I haven't heard anything on him.

redsfan30
04-06-2006, 11:22 AM
He's probably demaning more than he's worth. That's most likely the reason he hasn't latched on with anyone yet.

Heath
04-06-2006, 11:28 AM
as the season wears on, the clearance rack gets cheaper.

My guess he'll come to his senses sometime in May. I hope its in Cincinnati to replace you-know-who-is-currently-disgracing-George-Foster's-Number.

flyer85
04-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Seeing as Boras is his agent he is probably not willing to settle for a small contract and as we have seen Boras is more than willing to have his client sit(to their detriment) just so he can squeeze every last dollar out of a deal.

OldXOhio
04-06-2006, 11:44 AM
My guess he'll come to his senses sometime in May. I hope its in Cincinnati to replace you-know-who-is-currently-disgracing-George-Foster's-Number.

How has he disgraced #15?

Heath
04-06-2006, 11:48 AM
How has he disgraced #15?

Because George Foster's number should have been retired. Yeah, I still have Glenn Braggs flashbacks, and Barry Larkin's 1987 rookie card, and Davey Johnson going out to get a pitcher.

Womack's attitude and statistics don't measure up to George Foster's. Time to put it out for the world to see.

BuckU
04-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Because George Foster's number should have been retired. Yeah, I still have Glenn Braggs flashbacks, and Barry Larkin's 1987 rookie card, and Davey Johnson going out to get a pitcher.

Womack's attitude and statistics don't measure up to George Foster's. Time to put it out for the world to see.

Denny Neagle and his cheap Denver hooker would like to have a word with you...

Cedric
04-06-2006, 02:34 PM

I missed something. What did Womack say or do? Or is he hated so much on the field that people start making up stuff to hate him off the field? Sorta like Rich A last year.

KronoRed
04-06-2006, 02:57 PM
"Who cares about On base percentage?"

Heath
04-06-2006, 03:37 PM
"Who cares about On base percentage?"

referencing himself in the third person is usually a sign of self-overworth.

I don't particularly care for his demeanor.

His statistics speak for himself. He's a below average fielder and hitter. He's arguably the worst 2nd baseman in Cincinnati and in the entire National League.

I've said it before - I'd rather have Rich Aurilia start than Womack.

Pardon me, I need to eat some Lifeboy.

paintmered
04-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Okay, can we finally stop with the unrelated Womack bashing once and for all?

Please?

Next person who does it is getting slapped with a warning. Boss has said time and time again that it needs to stop.

nkufan
04-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Here are worse 2nd basemen in the NL Aaron Miles (St. Louis), Jamey Carroll (Colorado), Kaz Mastui (NY Mets), Dan Uggla (Flordia).

BRM
04-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Here are worse 2nd basemen in the NL Aaron Miles (St. Louis), Jamey Carroll (Colorado), Kaz Mastui (NY Mets), Dan Uggla (Flordia).

Miles has been an everyday 2B once, in 2004. Carroll isn't the everyday 2B in Colorado, Luis Gonzalez is. Uggla is a rookie this season. Matsui's only full season (2004) was no worse than Womack's one good season.

Heath
04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Sorry paintmered - long days at work this week - coupled with the inability not to go yesterday got me in wad.

Apologies all around.

Heath
04-06-2006, 04:33 PM

I'll take that bait later - for another thread and another time.

BRM
04-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Here is an update I saw this morning on Carlos Pena.

With defensive flaws exposed at the start of their season and alternatives being weighed to shore things up, the Yankees have entered into serious discussions with former Tigers first baseman Carlos Pena.

The Red Sox, Dodgers and Chiba Lotte Marines also have shown interest in Pena, but baseball officials indicate the Yankees may be Pena's most likely destination.

Bobby Valentine's Marines have considered Pena, but the Yankees may be too great a lure for the lefthanded-hitting Pena, who's spent most of his brief career with the losing Tigers.

While Pena was an inconsistent hitter with the Tigers, he is considered adept defensively, which is what piques the Yankees' interest. It has quickly become apparent that defense is an area of worry on their $200-million team.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-sppena144702001apr14,0,1687998.story?coll=ny-sports-print

pedro
04-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Because George Foster's number should have been retired.

Heath, I was as big a fan of George as the next guy but you can't be serious abourt retiring his #. George had a few great seasons and was a very popular Red but #'s don't grow on trees. If the bar was set that low then the Reds wouldn't have very many uniform numbers under 50 left.

I don't think a players number should even be considered to be retired unless they are in teh HOF or damn close.

Team Clark
04-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Denny Neagle and his cheap Denver hooker would like to have a word with you...

I needed a good laugh. Thank you for providing the material!!!:laugh:

OUReds
04-14-2006, 03:41 PM
"While Pena was an inconsistent hitter with the Tigers, he is considered adept defensively, which is what piques the Yankees' interest. It has quickly become apparent that defense is an area of worry on their $200-million team."

So, you have a 200 million dollar payroll, and you need defense. Your solution is to go out and sign a Boras represented slick fielding first baseman? That is wrong on so many different levels. Man I hate the Yankees.

Heath
04-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Not to dig up former quotes by yours truly, but Carlos Pena on the short porch in right's gonna hit 40 this year.

Yikes.