PDA

View Full Version : Katie Couric to CBS, Meredith Vieira to NBC

WVRed
04-06-2006, 11:27 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2631&ncid=2631&e=2&u=/ap/20060406/ap_on_en_tv/tv_couric_55

NEW YORK - A day after Katie Couric announced she was leaving for CBS, NBC has chosen Meredith Vieira as Matt Lauer's new partner on the "Today" show.

NBC scheduled a news conference for Thursday afternoon to announce its new "Today" host, and a person close to the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity confirmed that it was Vieira. The person insisted on anonymity because the announcement had not been made.

http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060406/LIVING/60406042/1004

Katie Couric moves to CBS
First female to anchor evening newscast solo looks forward to breaking new ground

By Hal Boedeker

The Orlando Sentinel

Katie Couric’s jump from NBC’s “Today” to anchor the “CBS Evening News” is risky for not only her but for television news. The move, which she announced Wednesday on “Today,” could rejuvenate nightly news or underscore its waning influence. For Couric, the transition will test her appeal and reveal whether the public accepts a solo woman in a role identified with Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather.
The Olympian - Click Here

Couric, 49, described her move as “the worst-kept secret in America.” She also will contribute to “60 Minutes” and anchor prime-time specials. She announced her decision as she celebrated her 15th anniversary as “Today” anchor.

“Sometimes I think change is a good thing,” she said. “Although it may be terrifying to get out of your comfort zone, it’s also very exciting to start a new chapter in your life.”

She will be the first woman to lead an evening newscast by herself.

Previous male-female anchor duos didn’t work: Barbara Walters with Harry Reasoner on ABC, Connie Chung with Rather on CBS. On ABC’s “World News Tonight,” Elizabeth Vargas shares duties with Bob Woodruff, who is recuperating from injuries suffered in Iraq.

Couric’s abilities divide viewers and industry analysts, and her transition will be closely followed when she takes the CBS anchor seat in September. In May, NBC will celebrate her departure from “Today”; she has been that program’s longest-serving anchor.

Meredith Vieira of ABC’s “The View” has emerged as the favorite to replace Couric, and NBC said an announcement would be coming in weeks.

Tom Brokaw jumped from “Today” to anchor “NBC Nightly News,” so Couric’s move isn’t without precedent. But Brokaw had also been White House correspondent.

“It would be a departure to have someone (as anchor) who hasn’t been an evening news correspondent,” said Tom Rosenstiel, director of the Project for Excellence in Journalism, a Washington think tank. “But maybe a more informal newscast is part of a plan.”

Rosenstiel described Couric as an enormously popular person who had made “Today” the most profitable program in network news. The show has logged 10 years of ratings supremacy in the morning and each year earns about $250 million in profit.

“It makes her a valuable commodity,” Rosenstiel said. “If she does this and the ratings don’t work out, CBS will find itself in a difficult spot. It will be a bump in the road for her.”

It will be lucrative, however it goes. Reports have put her “Today” salary at

$15 million annually, and CBS will pay her roughly the same in a five-year deal.

Couric is one of TV’s best journalists and a versatile interviewer, but her skills are not suited to the evening news, said Andrew Tyndall, who analyzes television news in the weekly newsletter “Tyndall Report.”

“The age of the celebrity superstar anchor is over,” Tyndall said. “The way the networks will go in the future will be online. Five, 10 years from now, they’ll be producing for any medium under the sun. In that world, you don’t need a superstar anchor.”

Under Bob Schieffer, who replaced Rather a year ago, the No. 3-rated “CBS Evening News” has rebounded. It averages 7.71 million viewers, an increase of 200,000 from a year ago. NBC’s “Nightly News,” with Brian Williams, is averaging 9.79 million, a drop of 720,000. ABC’s “World News Tonight” is drawing 8.73 million, down 910,000. Those declines reflect how the evening news, in the era of 24-hour news channels, is no longer the must-see rite it was in Cronkite’s era.

“CBS has grown its audience — that hasn’t happened in a long, long time,” Rosenstiel said. “They’re going to have the risk of tampering with that, but they’re going to have to do it as some point.”

MartyFan
04-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Well, lets see...there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between what AM NETWORK "NEWS" is and what CABLE 24 HOUR "NEWS" is...so I think her little bubbly outbursts will be welcome and CBS will rise to the tops of Nighly "NEWS" again.

That said, she annoys the hell out of me.

Red Leader
04-06-2006, 11:59 AM
That said, she annoys the hell out of me.

Amen to that. My wife watched the Today show religiously, I hate it, but have agreed to put up with it in exchange for a nice kiss before I leave for work each morning. Having said that, I'm happy about this news, and will be more than happy to watch Merideth Viera instead of Couric.

Reds4Life
04-06-2006, 12:14 PM
People still watch the evening news?

I've never watched it, for news I have the cable news channels and the internet. Evening news = dead.

MartyFan
04-06-2006, 12:19 PM

I've never watched it, for news I have the cable news channels and the internet. Evening news = dead.

People don't watch the evening news...they have it on...it is just a way for the networks to reserve more ad time from local affiliates...that's all.

By the way, more people watch the CBS evening news than watch the Today Show on NBC...hmmm...and they have the lwoest numbers of the big three...note that Fox, is in the party but still doesn't run evening news.

westofyou
04-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Evening news = dead.

And assigning the task of steering the ship to Katie is a shovel of dirt on the casket.

creek14
04-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Two reasons to never watch ABC and NBC.

MartyFan
04-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Two reasons to never watch ABC and NBC.

AGREED!

After nearly 20 years in media I never watch TV...with the exception of "24" which I am addicted to and currently seeking therapy for.

RedsBaron
04-06-2006, 12:29 PM

About the only time I ever watch any of the evening news programs on at 6:30 p.m. EST in when I'm on a treadmill at the local YMCA. There is a bank of TVs on the wall that you can watch. Even then I usually decide to watch ESPN, absent a significant news development. I absolutely do not rely upon the network evening news shows for my news.

Roy Tucker
04-06-2006, 12:33 PM
I normally don't watch the Today Show but was on a business trip not long ago and caught it a couple times.

I was struck by the attitude of Matt Lauer and Al Roker towards Katie Couric. They acted like husbands with a harpy of a wife.

I'll watch the network evening news maybe once a month if I'm lucky. My in-laws still watch it religiously. It's very much of a generational thing.

I do still watch the local news quite often though.

Sweetstop
04-06-2006, 01:59 PM
I grew up in a household that always watched Walter Cronkite. So now I usually have the CBS evening news on as background while I prepare dinner and have a glass of wine. However, my main news source during the day is NPR.

Alas, the network news and the daily newspaper are becoming dinosaurs.

registerthis
04-06-2006, 02:02 PM
I grew up in a household that always watched Walter Cronkite. So now I usually have the CBS evening news on as background while I prepare dinner and have a glass of wine. However, my main news source during the day is NPR.

You know you're getting old when you listen to NPR on your way home to have a glass of wine.

I'm right there with you. :)

KronoRed
04-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Katie has made a terrible mistake.

Sweetstop
04-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Katie has made a terrible mistake.

Katie is also going to be the managing editor....power, Baby, power. She's done all she can on Today. I guess CBS wants her to help rejuvenate Sixty Minutes...now there's some old guys.

westofyou
04-06-2006, 02:12 PM
You know you're getting old when you listen to NPR on your way home to have a glass of wine.Nah you know you're old when you remember choosing between Walter, David Brinkley or Harry Reasoner when it came the news and not having anywhere else to go from there.

vaticanplum
04-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Meredith Vieira is going to have a ball. She is much better than Couric, who annoys the crap out of me. Mind you, there's no working television in my house, but she still annoys the crap out of me.

This utterly worthless post was brought to you by mid-afternoon work coma.

WVRed
04-06-2006, 10:59 PM

I just read mine from the internet and formulate my own opinions accordingly.

Oh well, I guess you know "BS" when you "CBS".;)

Yachtzee
04-06-2006, 11:21 PM
I was struck by the attitude of Matt Lauer and Al Roker towards Katie Couric. They acted like husbands with a harpy of a wife.

Probably because she's always bugging them to get their colon scoped.

chicoruiz
04-07-2006, 08:40 AM
There's an interesting dynamic here. Traditionally, the careers of female anchors fall off the table as soon as they get old enough not to be considered "babes" anymore (Barbara Walters notwithstanding). By those standards, CBS paying big bucks for Couric is like a baseball team giving a big contract to a 35-year-old free agent; they're buying a commodity that's about to decline in value. On the other hand, NBC has done the same thing in hiring Viera, who's even older than Couric. It will be interesting to see how these moves work out.

My candidate for the "Today" job would have been Amy Robach of MSNBC, who's quite bright and articulate (it would be wrong at his point to mention how easy on the eye she is; just take my word for it or do a Google image search). And if I were going to hire someone from NBC for the CBS Evening News chair it would have been Lester Holt.

RBA
04-07-2006, 09:04 AM
I think they should of went with Kelly Ripa. What's not to like about her? She could of did the CBS News on the side and keep her job with Regis and that sitcom I can never remember the name of. ;) Well, let's hope The View picks her up too. ;)

RFS62
04-07-2006, 09:11 AM
This works for me. She's going from one show I never watch to another show I never watch

Heath
04-07-2006, 09:30 AM
So lets see..Viera goes from ABC to NBC, Couric goes from NBC to CBS. Who goes from CBS to ABC? Draft picks? The infamous ATBNL (Anchor To Be Names Later). The rights to the George Lopez Show?

:confused:

DropDocK
04-07-2006, 09:35 AM
I don't have cable so I am at the mercy of network news. Couric going to CBS evening news is like the acquisition of Womack: why? I can't think of her much as a newswoman after so many years on the Today show and cuddly-celeb interviews (which I watch sparingly, Lauers' arrogance is enough to make Katie watchable if all the other morning news is off). I like Bob Schiefer on the evening news just fine.
It's a better move for Viera imo. Get off of a lame show AND not have to sit next to Star Jones.

KronoRed
04-07-2006, 02:39 PM
So lets see..Viera goes from ABC to NBC, Couric goes from NBC to CBS. Who goes from CBS to ABC? Draft picks? The infamous ATBNL (Anchor To Be Names Later). The rights to the George Lopez Show?

:confused:
Pile o cash

Unassisted
04-07-2006, 05:42 PM
I watch the CBS Evening News, mostly because the best local newscast is on the CBS affiliate. I like it much better since Bob Schieffer took over. Yet I'm almost certain I'll be changing my habit, since CBS just hired my all-time least favorite media personality to take over for Bob.

I just hope I can get to the remote fast enough to switch back to CBS when the local news comes on afterwards. :)