PDA

View Full Version : White SOX sign RHP Jose Contreras to a three-year extension

pedro
04-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Agreed to terms with RHP Jose Contreras on a three-year, $29 million contract extension through 2009

This seems a little foolish to me. Granted he had a pretty good year last year. But the guy is at least 34 years old and last year was the first full good one he had since coming to the states.

I'm just not sure they had to give him that kind of guarantee. Seems risky to me.

Heath
04-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Well, they are the White Sox. They are World Champions.

Maybe all that money Reinsdorf saved the last 20 years, he figures he's gotta spend it.

Sweetstop
04-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Too bad he couldn't have gotten the win yesterday.

dsmith421
04-06-2006, 04:44 PM
This seems even more curious when you consider the White Sox have Buehrle, Garland, Garcia and Vazquez all under contract. All of those guys are relatively young and all (I believe) are signed to extensions. Then you have Brandon McCarthy, who is supposed to be the future ace.

Odd decision, unless Williams is already figuring on moving a starter at the deadline.

REDREAD
04-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Well, when you consider that Paul Byrd got around 7 million, and some of the other contracts for FAs, it may not be that bad.

I don't think I'd do it, but I'm sad this is the new marketplace reality. Even average pitchers are getting extremely pricely.

pedro
04-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Well, when you consider that Paul Byrd got around 7 million, and some of the other contracts for FAs, it may not be that bad.

I don't think I'd do it, but I'm sad this is the new marketplace reality. Even average pitchers are getting extremely pricely.

It's really the length that seems risky to me. Especially at Contreras age and with his history.

vaticanplum
04-07-2006, 02:23 PM
It's a questionable decision at best, I'd say. Makes me wonder once again what their plans are for Garland.

That aside, Kenny Williams, when asked to justify having a gluttonous amount of starting pitchers, was quoted in the paper yesterday as saying, "Well, my theory is you can never have too much good pitching." I gotta give him props for that. I lay awake at night dreaming that my GM will say things like that.

pedro
04-07-2006, 02:24 PM
It's a questionable decision at best, I'd say. Makes me wonder once again what their plans are for Garland.

That aside, Kenny Williams, when asked to justify having a gluttonous amount of starting pitchers, was quoted in the paper yesterday as saying, "Well, my theory is you can never have too much good pitching." I gotta give him props for that. I lay awake at night dreaming that my GM will say things like that.

Garland doesn't K a lot of guys, so maybe they don't think his success will last.

vaticanplum
04-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Garland doesn't K a lot of guys, so maybe they don't think his success will last.

Yeah, I think there's a good possibility they'll trade him soon, depending on how he does these first few months.

Of course, I thought they were going to trade him when they signed Vazquez, so shows you how much I know.

KronoRed
04-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Silly deal for a pitcher that old, some keep it going most fall apart.