PDA

View Full Version : Frank Robinson - arguing

Heath
04-06-2006, 11:18 PM
ESPN has the Nats/Mets - Frank's riled up.

Classic. No one does it better.

kbrake
04-06-2006, 11:29 PM
He should be riled up thats crap.

Gainesville Red
04-06-2006, 11:30 PM
I thought the pitching coach was gonna get tossed afterwards when the umpire told the pitcher it was time to go before he was ready.

GridironGrace
04-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Sad game today for the umpires there.

they really let that game get outta control

westofyou
04-07-2006, 02:16 AM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2006/0406/photo/a_nats_mets_412.jpg

Guillen pointed his bat at Martinez and went halfway to the mound after he was plunked in the fifth inning. The slugger was corralled by plate umpire Ted Barrett and Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca as the benches and bullpens emptied. Players ran onto the field quickly, but no punches were thrown.

"I think enough is enough," said Guillen, nailed several times by Martinez during his career. "We used to be friends, but that relationship is over."

The right-hander said he didn't hit Guillen on purpose, he was simply trying to pitch him inside.

"Those pitches just got away. That pitch wasn't really that far in, except he leans over," Martinez said. "I think he overreacted a little bit, especially going out there with the bat. I can understand it if you're frustrated or mad or something. You want to charge, you charge. But don't bring your bat out there. I wasn't scared anyway."

dougdirt
04-07-2006, 02:24 AM
He may not have been scared at that point, but had Jose gotten a little closer to him he would have been crapping the bed.

Gainesville Red
04-07-2006, 02:27 AM
Not scared becasue you know Lo Duca will stop him first. Meet in the parking lot and give Guillen a bat and see what happens. Hell, don't even give him a bat and see what happens. I'd be willing to be it's "scary"

RedFanAlways1966
04-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Carry a bat and act like you might use it during a rhubarb? You should be suspended for 30 games... period. There is no place for that in the game.

Caveman Techie
04-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Carry a bat and act like you might use it during a rhubarb? You should be suspended for 30 games... period. There is no place for that in the game.

While I agree with you, the other part of this story is keep hitting the same player with pitches and you should be suspended for 30 games also. I watched the replays of the incedents with Guillen and the first one was thrown behind him! After that when Guillen got hit again (see where this is going) he pointed the bat at Pedro and was jawing while walking (not charging) towards the mound, heck he even looked like he might of turned at any moment and start to take his base. The umpire and catcher jumped on Guillen from behind which pushed him towards the mound making it look worse than it really was.

Now I know that Guillen is a hot head and all, but after getting hit twice in the same game by the same pitcher, I'll cut him a little slack. Now if he would have been charging the mound with the bat, then yes by all means he should be reprimanded. However he was just jawing when the umpire and catcher basically tackled/pushed him even closer towards Pedro.

NatiRedGals
04-07-2006, 09:17 AM
haha jose way to go a classy picther dosent do that on purpose unless its aganist the yankees you know that ;)

NJReds
04-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Pedro's a punk, and they let him get away with plunking players left and right. I wish LoDuca let Guillen loose.

Jaycint
04-07-2006, 09:20 AM
If Pedro has no problem throwing a deadly projectile 90 mph at somebody with the intent to do them bodily harm then he shouldn't have any beef with Guillen bringing his own deadly weapon out to the mound with him to exact some revenge. Not that Guillen would have needed it. Guillen isn't Don Zimmer. Pedro would have got rolled.

Heath
04-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Paul LoDuca reminds me of one of our police officers in town. He has that law enforcement look.

I just throughly enjoy Frank Robinson arguing. He starts out so calm and then he builds up to a crezendo. Then it all breaks loose. Good Stuff.

Unlike Jim Tracy who went absolutely bonkers last night on the "catch" errr...short hop.

westofyou
04-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Pedro's a punk, and they let him get away with plunking players left and right. I wish LoDuca let Guillen loose.
Jose's a punk too, the game has no place for either of their idiocy.

However Jose Guillen leans over the plate and has been since he was a Red, that's why he keeps getting hit on the hands.

Heath
04-07-2006, 11:46 AM
While I agree with you, the other part of this story is keep hitting the same player with pitches and you should be suspended for 30 games also. I watched the replays of the incedents with Guillen and the first one was thrown behind him! After that when Guillen got hit again (see where this is going) he pointed the bat at Pedro and was jawing while walking (not charging) towards the mound, heck he even looked like he might of turned at any moment and start to take his base. The umpire and catcher jumped on Guillen from behind which pushed him towards the mound making it look worse than it really was.

Now I know that Guillen is a hot head and all, but after getting hit twice in the same game by the same pitcher, I'll cut him a little slack. Now if he would have been charging the mound with the bat, then yes by all means he should be reprimanded. However he was just jawing when the umpire and catcher basically tackled/pushed him even closer towards Pedro.

Dear John Roseboro,

Remember Me?

Sincerely,
Juan Marichal

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/marichal_roseboro_fight.jpg

http://www.dodgerblues.com/images/roseboro-marichal.jpg

Johnny Footstool
04-07-2006, 12:07 PM

Amen.

Pedro has pinpoint control -- look at how low his career walk numbers are. Yet whenever he hits a batter, he says, "Oh, that one just got away."

I don't believe it for one second. The ball goes exactly where Pedro wants it to go.

Ask Reggie Sanders.

gonelong
04-07-2006, 12:29 PM
If the same guy was continually plunking me with pitches I'd be practicing letting go of my bat while swinging until I could reasonably helicopter one at least close to him. Then I would.

GL

TeamSelig
04-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Wow, Pedro not scared huh? Is he serious?

Steve4192
04-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Wow, Pedro not scared huh? Is he serious?
Of course not. Pedro already laid the smack down on the mighty Don Zimmer, Jose Guillen would be a walk in the park compared to that guy. ;)

westofyou
04-08-2006, 01:10 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/07/AR2006040702228.html

"We're two competitors," Guillen said in an interview Friday before the Nationals' game against the Astros. "But I think this is going to need to stop, and I'm going to make sure I put a stop [to] that.

"You know what? If I get hit again, it's going to get real ugly if he's pitching. He thinks I was going out there with the bat? Why would I need a bat for a 150-pound guy when I'm 230?

Because you're a psycho?

westofyou
04-08-2006, 01:12 PM
After the game Jose flew to NY to kick Pedro's ass for being hit by Backe

HOUSTON -- Nationals outfielder Jose Guillen left Friday's game against the Astros after being hit by a pitch.

With two outs in the top of the sixth inning, Astros right-hander Brandon Backe threw an 0-2 pitch that hit Guillen on his left forearm. Guillen knelt down for a few minutes while manager Frank Robinson and assistant athletic trainer Michael McGowan attended the right fielder. Guillen was seen shaking his wrist, but a few minutes later, he left the game on his own power. Marlon Byrd pinch-ran for Guillen and remained in the game in right field.

LINEDRIVER
04-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Dear John Roseboro,

Remember Me?

Sincerely,
Juan Marichal

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/marichal_roseboro_fight.jpg

http://www.dodgerblues.com/images/roseboro-marichal.jpg

NL PENNANT RACE HEATS UP AS GIANTS WIN;
MARICHAL CLOBBERS ROSEBORO WITH BAT

By Rick Minshall

San Francisco, Monday, August 23, 1965 – Giants’ star Willie Mays hit his sixth homerun in six games, a three run shot in the third inning of Sunday’s 4-3 win over Sandy Koufax and the Los Angeles Dodgers. That big homerun, along with Juan Marichal’s severe temper tantrum, squashed the expected pitching duel between two of the National League’s finest pitchers.

The Giants’ victory tightened up the NL pennant race as San Francisco moved into second place and only one percentage point behind the front-running Dodgers. Milwaukee lost to Pittsburgh on Sunday, dropping the Braves from second to third place.

Juan Marichal, who was ejected in the bottom of the third inning, had started the game in hopes of picking up his twentieth win on the season. Cap Peterson’s solo shot off Koufax in the second inning, along with Mays’ blast in the third inning, proved to be all the offense the Giants could muster. Ron Herbel came on to relieve the ejected Marichal and he pitched brilliantly for 5 1/3 innings, allowing the Dodgers only a run on four hits. Herbel earned the victory, his record moving to 8-6. Koufax struck out eight as he picked up the complete game loss, his record dropping to 21-5.

Willie Mays’ three run blast was a crushed Koufax fastball that sailed over the left-centerfield fence for homerun number thirty-eight. The hot power-hitting Mays has belted 14 homeruns on the month in his quest for the coveted 50-homer mark for the season. Mays’ homer came just minutes after a free-for-all at home plate. The 42,800 fans in attendance witnessed a horrifying melee that should go down as one of the nastiest brawls to ever take place on a major league baseball field.

The Giants and Dodgers nearly came to blows on Friday over catcher’s interference calls. Dodgers’ shortstop Maury Wills alledgedly tipped Tom Haller’s catcher’s mitt with his bat on purpose. Matty Alou, best friend of teammate Juan Marichal, retaliated by tipping John Roseboro’s face mask with his bat while at the plate. Roseboro nearly beaned Alou with his return throw to the pitcher .

Sunday’s incident began with Marichal pitching high, hard, and tight to Maury Wills and Ron Fairly, causing them to hit the deck and bite the dust. Roseboro purportedly asked Sandy Koufax to retaliate by hitting Marichal when he came to the plate in the bottom of the third inning. When Koufax refused, Roseboro’s throw back to Koufax nearly hit Marichal in the head as he stood at home plate. Roseboro and Marichal then started name-calling before Roseboro stood up and pulled off his mask. Marichal turned on the Dodger catcher and swung his bat at Roseboro several times. Roseboro, with blood trickling from a cut on his head, pumped a right fist that seemd to strike Marichal in the face. Players from both benches rushed the field. Willie Mays raced to the home plate area from the Giants bench and cupped his hand over the bleeding head wound to Roseboro, leading him away from the area. Dodger ace Sandy Koufax ran from the mound to home plate in an effort to be a peacemaker. Dodgers’ pitcher Bob Miller tackled Marichal. Giants’ infielder Tito Fuentes grabbed his bat and menaced the Los Angeles players. Fourteen minutes went by before order was restored and the game resumed.

Marichal was ejected from the ballgame after being restrained and wrestled to the ground by home plate umpire Shag Crawford. Roseboro was forced out of the game with cuts, bruises, and a concussion.

Reporters were barred from the locker rooms until after the game. A dozen police officers guarded the clubhouses. Roseboro was sent to the airport to await his teammates as the Dodgers were flying to New York after the game. Marichal was not around the ballpark after the game but was expected to be on the same flight with his teammates to Pittsburgh.

After arriving in New York, Roseboro said, “ I don’t have any feelings about it. As far as I’m concerned, it’s all over and done with.” When asked if he threw the return pitch to the mound close to Marichal’s head intentionally, Roseboro said, “That could be. It might have come close to him, but I didn’t think that it did. Actually I took one step toward him and then he hit me over the head with the bat.”

A chastised Marichal, speaking just before the Giants took the field in Pittsburgh today, said, “I want to apologize. I’m sorry I hit him with the bat, I’m sorry for that, but I didn’t want to get hit with that mask.” Marichal explained: “The second pitch to me in the third inning was in tight. John dropped the ball on purpose so he could get closer to me. He threw it back to the pitcher faster than I’ve ever seen a catcher throw it back, his throw nicked me on the ear. I turned around and said, ‘Why did you do that?’ He stood up and pulled off his mask and held it in his hand and took a step toward me. I thought he was going to get me, I didn’t want to get hit with that mask and that’s when I hit him with the bat.”

Roseboro was to skip today’s game with the Mets. “He looks all right.” said Dodger manager Walt Alston, “but you never know how he’s going to be with that mask on. I want to be sure before I put him into a game.”

Shag Crawford, the home plate umpire in Sunday’s game said today, “I’m not going to explain what happened. You’ll have to get that from Giles.” The reference is to National League President Warren Giles, who will get a written report of the incident. A fine and suspension is expected for Marichal. An announcement from Giles is expected before Marichal can take another turn in the Giants’ rotation.

Veteran Dodger and longtime Roseboro teammate Ron Fairly was critical of Marichal and his tactics. Fairly, along with Maury Wills, hit the ground to stay out of the way of Marichal’s head-hunting pitches. “Marichal should be kicked out of baseball. Using a bat is the same as going out with the intent to kill,” Fairly said. “If I had done something like that out on the street, I would have been arrested. He should be arrested too.”