PDA

View Full Version : Freel lacks patience, wants playing time

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Freel lacks patience, wants playing time
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI The problem surfaced during baseball's winter meetings when
former Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O'Brien acquired second baseman Tony Womack.

A second baseman? Why a second baseman? What about Ryan Freel and Richie Aurilia. If two is a crowd at second base, what is three?

That's what Freel wants to know, not in a complaining manner, but a questioning manner. He knows O'Brien put manager Jerry Narron in a tenuous position where there isn't enough playing time for everybody.

Freel didn't start on Opening Day. But he started Wednesday against a left-handed pitcher and was on base four times, stole three bases, scored three runs and was generally a pest that Orkin couldn't handle, let alone the Chicago Cubs.

But when Thursday's lineup was posted, Freel wasn't on it.

"It's only Day 3," said Freel, sitting at his locker with a bat in his hands. "A long way to go. But I started against a left-handed pitcher, but not against two right-handers. There are more right-handers than left-handers."

Told that patience is a virtue and Narron would do everything in his power to spread the time, Freel smiled and said, "Patience. I'm not good at that, not good at patience. I've had a productive three years, but I know I'm in a tough role."

Because Freel is adept at five positions, he shifts more than desert sand. Second base. Third base. Left field. Right field. Center field.

"It's nice to be wanted and to be wanted because you are a good utility player who can play everywhere, but it's a disadvantage for a guy who would like to play every day at one position," he said. "As long as we're winning, I'm OK with it. I'm helping the team. But I also had a decent year last year getting on base and scoring runs."

Edwin sits

Edwin Encarnacion, 1 for 8 in his first two games, was not in Thursday's lineup, his place taken by Rich Aurilia.

"Eddie is going to play and he wasn't in the lineup because he is 1 for 8," said manager Jerry Narron. "He'll play the next three days. I won't be spotting him as much this year as last year. He is going to play and he is going to be OK."

Encarnacion looked unusually nervous on Opening Day three strikeouts and an error but seemed more at ease in Game 2.

"The big crowd didn't make me nervous," he said. "I played in front of big crowds last year. I just tried to do too much on Opening Day and I don't know why. That was one day. I felt great (in Game 2) and I know I'll do my job this year, do a good job."

LaRue's return

Catcher Jason LaRue will catch a bullpen session today and trainer Mark Mann said he is doing so well that no residual effects are expected. LaRue underwent arthroscopic right knee surgery March 27 and is eligible to come off the disabled list Monday, a day before the Reds open a series in Chicago.

"He should be ready to play that day," said Mann.

And manager Jerry Narron is expected to stick him into the lineup, two weeks and a day after surgery.

Deja vu for Mercker

Relief pitcher Kent Mercker gave up a two-run pinch-hit home run Wednesday to Chicago's John Mabry, pulling the Cubs to within 7-6 in a game the Reds won, 8-6.

"Did the same thing last year in my first appearance, gave up a two-run home run to Cliff Floyd," said Mercker. "Oh, well, I'll get it right. And at least President Bush knows I'm from Dublin, Oh."

Bush met Mercker on Opening Day and noted that he knew Mercker lives in Dublin, not far from Cincinnati.

Tracy's return

Pittsburgh's new manager is Hamilton, Oh. native Jim Tracy, who was manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers before getting the Pirates job after last season.

"Obviously, I have a lot of fond memories of this area," he said. "It's neat now because I get to come back here three times a year (with the Pirates) instead of once a year (with the Dodgers)."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0407redsnotesweb.html

SirFelixCat
04-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Can't say I blame him...at all. Have a perfect day and the next day sit...for Tony-freakin'-Womack.

How is it only the fans see this and not management?

flyer85
04-07-2006, 09:21 AM
If they aren't going to play him they ought to trade him for some relief pitching.

NatiRedGals
04-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Problem is i think Rich should go... Sorry but its true both Womack and Freel can do the pretty much the same things if given the chance to succedd. Rich on the other hand could help us get some picthing just like randa did from a team whos suffering at 2nd!

NatiRedGals
04-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Its early buts heres research on teams of there 2b not doing to well....
M Ellis Oakland .125,R Belliard CLE .115,A Hernandez NYM 12 AB 5 SO .000

Thats it for now others are atleast over .150 LOL :) Maybe theres picthing in those hills?

traderumor
04-07-2006, 10:15 AM
I did not care for not putting Freel in there after Wed's game, but then Womack went out and drove in a pair of big runs. Still, the Reds would not miss a beat if they dumped Womack tomorrow.

Newman4
04-07-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm not one to advocate complaining about playing time (e.g. Rich A.), but I'm glad Freel said something. He seemed to do everything he needed to do to prove himself last season and gets the shaft.

Redlegs23
04-07-2006, 11:07 AM
"Did the same thing last year in my first appearance, gave up a two-run home run to Cliff Floyd," said Mercker. "Oh, well, I'll get it right. And at least President Bush knows I'm from Dublin, Oh."

Mercker cracks me up. I think I might make a compilation of all of Mercker and Dunn's good one-liners throughout the season. I could make a book of them after the season.

Jaycint
04-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Its early buts heres research on teams of there 2b not doing to well....
M Ellis Oakland .125,R Belliard CLE .115,A Hernandez NYM 12 AB 5 SO .000

Mark Ellis is a very underrated ballplayer and tore the cover off the ball in the second half last year to the tune of a .982 OPS. I doubt the A's are looking to replace him.

westofyou
04-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Mark Ellis is a very underrated ballplayer and tore the cover off the ball in the second half last year if I remember right. I doubt the A's are looking to replace him.

And he has a great glove, 28 years old and this .316/.384/.477/.861 in THAT park.

I want Mark Elllis on the Reds.

Johnny Footstool
04-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Mark Ellis is Ryan Freel with slightly less speed, slightly more power, and better infield defense.

torn rotator
04-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Mark Ellis is Ryan Freel with slightly less speed, slightly more power, and better infield defense.

In other words, they are different:)

flyer85
04-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Rosales looks like a player on the fast track and would seem to be a candidate to move to 2b. The one thing that is readily apparent at this point is that if the GM really is wanting to make a run then the bullpen situation must be addressed. 2-3 need to be replaced ASAP.

REDREAD
04-07-2006, 01:25 PM
"It's only Day 3," said Freel, sitting at his locker with a bat in his hands. "A long way to go. But I started against a left-handed pitcher, but not against two right-handers. There are more right-handers than left-handers."
Freel smiled and said, "Patience. I'm not good at that, not good at patience. I've had a productive three years, but I know I'm in a tough role."
"It's nice to be wanted and to be wanted because you are a good utility player who can play everywhere, but it's a disadvantage for a guy who would like to play every day at one position," .

If Aurillia or Womack said that, I bet the mob here would be out to rip them a new one.

I have no problem with Freel saying that, and wanting to play, but I just wanted to point out that Aurillia was labeled a bad apple when he said something similiar last year.

flyer85
04-07-2006, 01:31 PM
This team is a patchwork quilt, none of the pieces fit well together. Hopefully Krivsky is just using April to sort this mess out.

ochre
04-07-2006, 01:38 PM
If Aurillia or Womack said that, I bet the mob here would be out to rip them a new one.

I have no problem with Freel saying that, and wanting to play, but I just wanted to point out that Aurillia was labeled a bad apple when he said something similiar last year.
The difference being the 'many' on here that would be doing the 'ripping' largely feel that Ryan is right. He should be the starter.

westofyou
04-07-2006, 01:43 PM
but I just wanted to point out that Aurillia was labeled a bad apple when he said something similiar last year.Well he was a *new* Red, was taking playing time away from a guy that outplayed him all ST at a pivotal position and his dismay was very "I've never seen it like this, I am the pro from Dover." meanwhile he was underperforming and coming off an injury in the wake of Lopez having a .304/.359/.565/.925 May with better defense than Aurilia was providing.

I see a world of difference in the situations.

And he didn't just manufactor a run by himself on a team that has been saying they wanted to do more of that.

Johnny Footstool
04-07-2006, 01:46 PM
In other words, they are different:)

Yes, but their samenesses outweigh their differentnesses.

flyer85
04-07-2006, 01:48 PM
without a doubt the three second basemen roster model cannot continue for long. I predict either someone will be moved or if EE struggles for another week or two he will find his butt back in Louisville.:bang:

pedro
04-07-2006, 01:53 PM
without a doubt the three second basemen roster model cannot continue for long. I predict either someone will be moved or if EE struggles for another week or two he will find his butt back in Louisville.:bang:

I don't think they'll send EE down unless he tanks for a full month or more. RA is half the 1B platoon and I don't think they want Hatteberg batting against lefties (3 yr split OPS .698).

I think as the season goes on Freel will take over 2B, RA will sub at 3B, SS, and platoon at 1B against lefties while Womack will become the sub at 2B.

flyer85
04-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't think they'll send EE down unless he tanks for a full month or more. RA is half the 1B platoon and I don't think they want Hatteberg batting against lefties (3 yr split OPS .698Narron said the other night he doesn't see 1B as a platoon and expects Hatteberg to play quite a bit against LH pitching. Of course at this point it is all lip service.

If it was me I would put EE back at 3rd for tonight and play Denorfia in CF(or LF). The Reds haven't had any trouble playing Dunn at 1b for the occassional game in the past so why not tonight.

pedro
04-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Narron said the other night he doesn't see 1B as a platoon and expects Hatteberg to play quite a bit against LH pitching. Of course at this point it is all lip service.

If it was me I would put EE back at 3rd for tonight and play Denorfia in CF(or LF). The Reds haven't had any trouble playing Dunn at 1b for the occassional game in the past so why not tonight.

I didn't hear Narron say that, but it doesn't surprise me. I do think that RA will work his way into a straight platoon at 1B eventually.

EE is going to play next 2 night. Narron already said that.

I wouldn't mind seeing Denorfia in there either.

TeamBoone
04-07-2006, 02:43 PM

I truly don't think EE will struggle much longer. I really don't.

But I certainly agree that the troika of Womack/Aurilia/Freel is going to hurt this team. I truly hope that Krivsky sees this sooner rather than later (if he hasn't already).

One of them simply has to go... but which one? My choice would be Womack, even though he's gotten off to a decent start. He's the least versatile of the three but Nati is probably right in that Aurilia would fetch more in return (I think anyway).

It's a dilemma... a stupid one that could have been easily avoided had someone in their right mind given it even a little thought prior to signing both Womack and Aurilia.

flyer85
04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
One of them simply has to go... but which one? The simple answer if he is not going to play regularly is Womack. He plays no other positions(mainly due to his rag arm) and is basically worthless as a pinch hitter.

However, I am not opposed to trading Freel if he could bring some much needed young bullpen help. Maybe to the Mets for Heilman and Bell. :)

TeamBoone
04-07-2006, 02:54 PM
The simple answer if he is not going to play regularly is Womack. He plays no other positions(mainly due to his rag arm) and is basically worthless as a pinch hitter.

However, I am not opposed to trading Freel if he could bring some much needed young bullpen help. Maybe to the Mets for Heilman and Bell. :)

I didn't even consider Freel. He's pretty valuable, but I see your point.

KronoRed
04-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm not one to advocate complaining about playing time (e.g. Rich A.), but I'm glad Freel said something. He seemed to do everything he needed to do to prove himself last season and gets the shaft.
Agreed, unlike Rich last year who wanted starts over better players Freel has earned time over some wash ups that get starts.

penantboundreds
04-07-2006, 04:51 PM
management means manager....not owner get owners out of the clubhouse

see mike brown and marvin lewis

NatiRedGals
04-07-2006, 05:08 PM
heh i just did research if we pick up Mark im happy but then again i would rather pick up a picther

TeamBoone
04-07-2006, 06:27 PM
management means manager....not owner get owners out of the clubhouse

see mike brown and marvin lewis

Where did this come from? I don't see where anyone mentioned Castellini.

reds44
04-07-2006, 07:14 PM
"Eddie is going to play and he wasn't in the lineup because he is 1 for 8," said manager Jerry Narron.
Sorry, but this excuse is bogus. Felipe was 1 for 9 going into last night, and didn't sit. Narron just wanted to get RA's "bat" into the lineup.

EE is going to be fine.

Felipe and EE are my two favorite Reds, not that anyone needed to know that.

westofyou
04-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Sorry, but this excuse is bogus. Felipe was 1 for 9 going into last night, and didn't sit. Narron just wanted to get RA's "bat" into the lineup.

Not many SS on the team, plus Lopez has 1500 MLB at bats.

Fact is EE is a rookie more or less and he will sit from time to time, that's the world of the 23 year old ballplayer, unless he's a sure shot star, or plays some awesome defense.