PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber Battle filmed by Highschool Students

Coffeybro
04-07-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/highschool-lightsaber-duel.html

After seeing this I had to post this for the few sci-fi fans on the board.

KronoRed
04-07-2006, 03:20 PM
That was better then some of the fights from the movies :clap:

Blimpie
04-07-2006, 03:27 PM
No fair, Krono...Yoda's arms are too short to do "kip-ups"!

MrCinatit
04-07-2006, 07:34 PM
that was rather impressive, actually.
does the winner get to take on the powerful Star Wars Kid?

Falls City Beer
04-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Pretty damn good. The phoniest looking thing in it, incredibly, is the fake punch thrown. Everything else is great.

CrackerJack
04-09-2006, 01:15 AM
that was rather impressive, actually.
does the winner get to take on the powerful Star Wars Kid?

What fool would do that?

RFS62
04-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Wow, that was impressive.

cincinnati chili
04-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Can you imagine taking a high school (or even college) film class with these kids? You'd work all semester on some lame hand-held artsy piece of trash, and then get taken to school by THAT.

I'm very impressed.

Bet you Lucas gets this thing taken off the web pronto.

Win It All
04-09-2006, 05:56 PM
I think that was made by students at the Warren County Career Center, I remember hearing something about it about 2 weeks ago.

Caveat Emperor
04-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Bet you Lucas gets this thing taken off the web pronto.

Historically, Lucas has been pretty cool with people posting fan-films online, so long as nobody is making any sort of profit off the showing of the movie. There's actually a pretty nice library of Star Wars fan-films that have come out over the internet -- most of them are (as expected) Star Wars Kid bad, but there have actually been a few pretty well done ones.

"Troops" was the first really well-produced fan-film I ever watched, back about 10 years ago or so. It was a "Cops" parody featuring Stormtroopers out in the desert of Tatooine. Pretty amusing, professional costuming...full nine yards. Was released on TheForce.net, eventually I think it even made it's way to the official StarWars.com website.

There have been other good ones too -- "Duality," a straight lightsabre duel made the rounds on the internet just a bit after Episode 1 was released. Again, nothing from Lucasfilm by way of a cease and desist order. Then there was another one a few years back that was actually a 20 minute mini-feature called "Revealations" or something, that apparently had hollywood-level effects (but Star Wars-grade acting).

Either way -- I'd never let myself be filmed doing a Star Wars fan movie. Too much potential for mocking at a later date.

TC81190
04-10-2006, 04:00 PM
That. was. impressive.

SunDeck
04-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Yet more proof that I should have listened to Nancy Reagan in highschool.

Johnny Footstool
04-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Impressive. Most impressive.

BTW - that film had the TFN (TheForce.Net) logo, so I imagine it was released there first.

NatiRedGals
04-11-2006, 11:36 AM
:duel: Its on ditto style Yoda go!

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Yet more proof that I should have listened to Nancy Reagan in highschool.
Just say go?

:evil:

westofyou
04-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Can you imagine taking a high school (or even college) film class with these kids? You'd work all semester on some lame hand-held artsy piece of trash, and then get taken to school by THAT.

I've lived that experience, not as bad as others but still....

In college Brannon Braga the producer for Star Trek was one of my classmates, he made the most beautiful black and white film that was controversial and pure magic.

Another guy made a film about a shopping cart that was as bad as they come, he had to follow Brannons Psycho/Sexual drama and still to this day I feel bad for him.

Caveat Emperor
04-12-2006, 01:15 AM
I've lived that experience, not as bad as others but still....

In college Brannon Braga the producer for Star Trek was one of my classmates, he made the most beautiful black and white film that was controversial and pure magic.

Another guy made a film about a shopping cart that was as bad as they come, he had to follow Brannons Psycho/Sexual drama and still to this day I feel bad for him.

Brannon Braga -- a classic case of someone being overpromoted to their level of incompetence.

He's an excellent writer and an excellent director and he was responsible for some of the most interesting episodes that the Next Generation had to offer (including a personal favorite of mine where Riker goes insane and another personal favorite where Worf keeps slipping through different parallell universes). However, as a showrunner, he left a lot to be desired. His storytelling style (slight of hand plot twists, questions of reality and existence, time-bending type issues) works well at the individual episode level, but it seems that he never got a real feel for how to translate his individual episode work into the ability to formulate a direction and guide for entire series. The first series he had control over, Voyager, never found it's footing and the second series he ran, Enterprise really didn't get good until he was replaced as head showrunner by Manny Coto in the 4th season. Both shows had trouble developing interesting characters, were over-dependent on "Trek Gimmicks" such as time travel, and never really connected with audiances the way TNG did.

Still -- it's cool to be able to say you know him back in day. Any inkling from knowing him that he'd grow up to be 1/2 of the tag team that killed Star Trek? :laugh:

westofyou
04-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Any inkling from knowing him that he'd grow up to be 1/2 of the tag team that killed Star Trek?

Brannon came to school after five years in Hollywood, we were both older than most of the other students so we had a closer connection on that level, though neither of us worked on each others films, he won and internship to STNG and that's how he got in on that project.

Not being into the Fantasy/Space genre I basically stopped paying attention, other than the usual film school envy you have when you see there manes up in the credits.

But the guy is smart, funny, and odd enough to be famous, and that was evident back then.

RedsFan8978
04-13-2006, 02:56 PM
that's pretty impressive. i couldn't do that if i practiced in the swamps of Dagobah (sp).

pedro
04-14-2006, 11:58 AM
They're just lucky that the ATF wasn't around.

KronoRed
04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
They wern't dressed like Ninjas, they might have been safe.