PDA

View Full Version : Reds Acquire Brandon Phillips

TheBigLebowski
04-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Cash or a PTBNL.

We've cornered the market on middle IF's...Bowden had his thing for 5 tool guys...guess Krivsky has it for up the middle defense.

Kata was DFA.

GAC
04-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Alright - another underachieving 2Bman! :lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2400878

Indians send Phillips to Reds for cash or player

Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- Infielder Brandon Phillips, a one-time starter who never fulfilled expectations in Cleveland, was traded by the Indians on Friday to the Cincinnati Reds for a player to be named or cash.

The clubs announced the deal shortly before the first pitch of the Indians' home opener against Minnesota.

Phillips won the starting job in spring training and was at second base for the Indians on Opening Day in 2003. But he struggled and was sent back to the minor leagues at the All-Star break after batting just .210 -- the AL's lowest average among qualifying players -- in 88 games.

The 24-year-old has spent most of the past two seasons at Triple-A Buffalo. He was a September call-up in each of the past two years, but batted just .129 (4-for-31) with one RBI.

The Indians had run out of options on Phillips, who came over with Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee in the six-player deal that sent Bartolo Colon to the Montreal Expos in June 2002.

Phillips had a decent spring training this year, but he couldn't beat out Ramon Vazquez for the Indians' utility infield spot.

He has always been a spectacular fielder, even after being moved from shortstop to second base. But Phillips' swing has been his downfall. While with Cleveland, he fell in love with hitting home runs and despite efforts by the Indians to make him a better contact hitter, he never became one.

In 135 major league games, Phillips drew only 19 walks and struck out 92 times.

To make room for Phillips, the Reds designated infielder Matt Kata for assignment. He was claimed off waivers from Philadelphia on March 15.

Phillips is expected to report to Cincinnati in time for Saturday's game against Pittsburgh.

The teams have until June 15 to complete the deal.

pedro
04-07-2006, 04:43 PM
at least he's a young 'un

top6
04-07-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't get this. I thought the thread was a joke when I first looked at it. This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Team Clark
04-07-2006, 04:48 PM
This might drive Freel to Drink.

pedro
04-07-2006, 04:54 PM
This might drive Freel to Drink.

I think it's going to be driving him to the Airport.

princeton
04-07-2006, 04:55 PM
I like it

westofyou
04-07-2006, 04:57 PM
I like itCould he be our Adolpho Phillips?

princeton
04-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Could he be our Adolpho Phillips?

he hits like Don Kessinger

15fan
04-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Please oh please oh please let the PTBNL be Eric Milton.

westofyou
04-07-2006, 05:01 PM
he hits like Don Kessinger

Or Ken Hubbs?

Let's hope he stays away from Private Planes

KronoRed
04-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Please oh please oh please let the PTBNL be Eric Milton.
Dan O doesn't work for Cleveland

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I like it. Phillips has a great glove, good glove, and still has a little potential in that bat. He's not going to turn into Barry Larkin like some were predicting but I would rather him than Tony Womack.

Spitball
04-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Let's see...now it'll be Phillips on Sundays, Freel on Mondays, followed by Womack on Tuesdays, Aurilia on Wednesdays, and...hey, wait! Who's going to play on those other days???:eek:

Doc. Scott
04-07-2006, 05:50 PM
The PTBNL will probably be someone like David Shafer or Calvin Medlock- a guy who put up solid numbers last season that isn't widely ballyhooed as a prospect.

TC81190
04-07-2006, 05:55 PM
The PTBNL will probably be someone like David Shafer or Calvin Medlock- a guy who put up solid numbers last season that isn't widely ballyhooed as a prospect.

PLEASE don't let it be Medlock. Please. :pray:

Redmachine2003
04-07-2006, 06:27 PM
could be Gonzo trade one problem child for another.

KronoRed
04-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Bergolla?

RedsManRick
04-07-2006, 06:45 PM
AP, Cincinnati - Following the recent acquisition of Brandon Phillips, the Reds have just announced they will be playing a shifted defense with 6 IF and 1 OF. Ken Griffey Junior remains in the OF; the logical choice given his rack of Gold Gloves, big smile, and backwards facing hat. Executives around the league are buzzing.

Says ex-Reds General Manager Dan O'Brien "I've been pushing for this for awhile. Glad to see Wayne is acting on my vision. I even signed us some pitchers who play to our strengths. This is just taking that to the next level." Current Nationals GM and ex-Reds GM Jim Bowden commented "I've been going after Phillips for years. He's really a 5 tool guy. He'd make a really good center fielder."

Meanwhile, Reds manager Jerry Narron seemed less excited.. "Phillips may have been 'highly touted' and might play 'good defense' (making quote signs with his fingers), but he's not very scrappy and I'm not sure if he knows how to 'play the game'. He'll definitely need to prove himself when he gets his chance. Womack has been looking pretty solid. Having them both in there at the same time should really help him out."

More on this story as it develops.

Krusty
04-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Not a bad deal. Phillips still has a chance of turning it around. Aurilia and Womack will probably be here for one year. Reds like Freel to be used as a utility player while the jury remains out if Bergolla can be an everyday major league player.

So I think this acquistion is being looked at more towards 2007 and beyond rather than this season.

LexingtonRedsFan
04-07-2006, 07:28 PM
As long as we dont have to give up much, not a bad gamble

GAC
04-07-2006, 09:16 PM
It's really not a bad acquisition, depending on who we give in return.

But we've really kinda complicated this INF situation. How are you going to give any of these guys enough playing time/ABs to allow them to prove themselves and earn the job?

It's like they are saying to Ryan... "Yeah, we really like you kid, Ya got spunk. But we just aren't sold."

Neo
04-07-2006, 09:55 PM
I love the deal, I have liked Phillips for a very long time, a lot of people here have. Let's just hope something kicks in like it did for Lopez and the Reds could have a killer duo up the middle for a long long time. All we need is Votto to step it up this season, and be he could the opening day starter at first in 2007.

Barbarossa
04-08-2006, 01:36 AM
Everybody seems to think this means a Freel trade, and that could be the case. But how about another slant? Of our middle infielders who would bring the most in a trade? Who has Boras as an agent? The Reds mentioned Phillips is also a shortstop. Lopez is getting hot at just the right time. Hope I'm just getting nervous over nothing?:confused:

SirFelixCat
04-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Everybody seems to think this means a Freel trade, and that could be the case. But how about another slant? Of our middle infielders who would bring the most in a trade? Who has Boras as an agent? The Reds mentioned Phillips is also a shortstop. Lopez is getting hot at just the right time. Hope I'm just getting nervous over nothing?:confused:

Lopez and Dunn are the only two "locks" to stay Reds the next few years. You have nothing to worry about.

edited to add: and EdE

KronoRed
04-08-2006, 02:39 AM
I don't even think Lopez and Dunn are locks, only EE at this point.

Really no one should be a lock on a team with such bad recent history.

SirFelixCat
04-08-2006, 02:46 AM
I don't even think Lopez and Dunn are locks, only EE at this point.

Really no one should be a lock on a team with such bad recent history.

On the one hand, I understand where you are coming from, BUT, you have to have players that you build around. You can have a rotation of Clemens, Oswalt, etc etc. but if you don't have an offense, you're still in the same boat, except you lose 2-1 vs 12-9.

That being said, imo, the only 3 "locks" have to be Dunn, FeLo, and EdE. They are all young, cheap (Dunn is getting up there, but compared to others, cheap), and have tremendous upside. All the others are expendable if it's the right deal to improve the team.

GAC
04-08-2006, 06:57 AM
No one is ever a "lock" on any team as long as the Federal Reserve is still printing money.

Philips wanted out of Cleveland for a fresh start. Things just weren't going right for him.

Cleveland is not gonna get much in return for Phillips and they know it. If it's not cash (which I doubt), it's probably gonna be a minor leaguer, or may be even a guy like Ross.

RedlegJake
04-08-2006, 07:55 AM
What's not to like about this? Low cost acquisition of a younger guy with upside. Remember when the Reds got Felo he was all question marks and unrealized potential. Krivsky takes a shot at putting together 3/4ths of a great young infield. I like it. I'd like it better with Dunn at first, Freel in left and let Philips play 2nd everyday.

Candy Cummings
04-08-2006, 08:38 AM
I agree. I don't have high hopes for this deal, but we don't have very much to lose. We certainly are stockpiling middle guys, but if we're not trading real prospects or paying top $$, why not take a shot and see what happens. In our situation, we have to buy low sometimes.

baseballPAP
04-08-2006, 08:40 AM
My first thought is RA going away, but then, the reality set in....who would play 1B against lefties? :rolleyes:

Spitball
04-08-2006, 08:53 AM

Has anyone noticed Juan Castro was the opening day shortstop for the Twins? Has anyone noticed the Twins system is rich in starting pitching?

I'd love to see Lopez traded to the Twins for Liriano.

cincinnati chili
04-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Why not?

If it reduces the nights with Rich Aurilia in the cleanup spot, I'm all for it.

Spitball
04-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Has anyone noticed Juan Castro was the opening day shortstop for the Twins? Has anyone noticed the Twins system is rich in starting pitching?

I notice Jeff Baker is scheduled to start tonight against the Indians. That means Liriano didn't make their starting rotation and might be available for a much needed component...like a replacement for Castro.

Red Heeler
04-08-2006, 12:06 PM

Liriano's nice and all, but I would only trade a young, cheap, All-Star and Silver Slugger shortstop for a franchise changing package.

Maybe something like Lopez and Freel to the Mets for Heilman, Jose Reyes, AAA utility guy Chase Lambin, and Philip Humber. I would strongly angle to get Lastings Milledge in the deal, too, but that is probably asking too much.

pedro
04-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Liriano's nice and all, but if I would only trade a young, cheap, All-Star and Silver Slugger shortstop for a franchise changing package.

Maybe something like Lopez and Freel to the Mets for Heilman, Jose Reyes, AAA utility guy Chase Lambin, and Philip Humber. I would strongly angle to get Lastings Milledge in the deal, too, but that is probably asking too much.

I don't understand why everyone is so hot to get heilman. he's ok and everything, but he's never been good as a starter and he's already 27. He may never be anything but a middle reliever.

As for Reyes, I'm not realy sold on him either. Although he is young.

Buckeye33
04-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Liriano's nice and all, but if I would only trade a young, cheap, All-Star and Silver Slugger shortstop for a franchise changing package.

I totally agree that you only trade Lopez for a huge package, but the Mets would laugh out loud if the Reds asked for Jose Reyes in any deal. He and Wright are about as untouchable as they get.

I'm totally against moving Lopez, but if for some reason they did I'd want something like Milledge, Heilman, Humber.

StillFunkyB
04-08-2006, 01:48 PM

I'd trade Lopez for Liriano in a heartbeat.

Doubt the Twinkies would.

Lopez won't be here after he becomes a FA (his agent is Bora$). Brandon Phillips is probably a better defensive SS than Felipe. He may not have quite as much range, but you won't see him sail as many balls as FeLo does.

If this move would allow us to get an even better SP, I am all for trading FeLo.

KronoRed
04-08-2006, 02:00 PM
If it reduces the nights with Rich Aurilia in the cleanup spot, I'm all for it.
But he hits homers between 0-10 streaks ;)

pedro
04-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Brandon Phillips is probably a better defensive SS than Felipe. He may not have quite as much range, but you won't see him sail as many balls as FeLo does.

I bet Phillips has better range than Lopez. Lopez' range is pretty poor.

StillFunkyB
04-08-2006, 02:20 PM
I bet Phillips has better range than Lopez. Lopez' range is pretty poor.

Even better!

Spitball
04-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I'd trade Lopez for Liriano in a heartbeat.

Doubt the Twinkies would.

But, the Twins have pitching depth in their system, have apparently gone with Baker as their number five starter, and have Juan Castro at shortstop.

I believe the Reds have to move somebody or two. It makes no sense to have five middle infielders and three catchers. I'd rather they trade Lopez for a Liriano (and keep Freel) than get a suspect prospect for one of the other guys.

I don't understand why everyone is so hot to get heilman. he's ok and everything, but he's never been good as a starter and he's already 27. He may never be anything but a middle reliever.

I agree, Pedro.

Red Heeler
04-08-2006, 03:16 PM

As for Reyes, I'm not realy sold on him either. Although he is young.

The deal I proposed would help the club both now and in the future. Heilman may or may not be a very good starter, but I'll take my chances that he is better than somebody in the Reds rotation. If he flops as a starter, you still have a good young reliever (closer?) on your hands.

Reyes may not make it, but he is a more athletic version of Felipe Lopez. If he pans out, he will be the better of the two.

Lambin can play SS, 2B, 3B, and I believe that he has played some OF, too. He gets on base at a good clip and has more pop than Freel, though he lacks Freel's speed.

Humber is a front of the rotation talent.

I totally agree that you only trade Lopez for a huge package, but the Mets would laugh out loud if the Reds asked for Jose Reyes in any deal. He and Wright are about as untouchable as they get.

The Mets are built for the here and now. Lopez has already done what they hope Reyes will do.

Spitball
04-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Over on the game thread, edabbs44 found this on a Twins forum:

Perhaps Ryan is working on a trade that is just taking longer to consummate than he would like. Here's a wildly optimistic guess:

Nick Punto, Michael Cuddyer, and Scott Baker to the Reds for a package that includes Edwin Encarnacion.

Baker is scheduled to pitch today. If he does, I doubt he is headed to Cincy soon. Seems to me, the Reds have to have something concrete in the works. They have to start settling the roster pretty quickly with Phillips coming Sunday and LaRue on Monday.

Red Heeler
04-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Nick Punto, Michael Cuddyer, and Scott Baker to the Reds for a package that includes Edwin Encarnacion.

If Krivsky gave that deal even a moment's consideration, he should be ridden out of town on a rail.

TheBigLebowski
04-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Hopefully the PTBNL is Chris Freaking Hammond.

The_jbh
04-09-2006, 04:19 PM
I think Phillips becomes a late inning defensive replacement for whoever is playing 2B that day for this year while we try to workout his swing... with womack and aurilla gone following this year he has a bigger backup role or a shot at 2b

Barbarossa
04-09-2006, 09:31 PM
His swing looked pretty good today when stroked that double. Could've been just luck? Though what better way to show your new Mgr you got a little pop? I think he's a great pick up.:beerme:

KronoRed
04-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Hopefully the PTBNL is Chris Freaking Hammond.
The Indians already have Graves :evil:

Gallen5862
04-10-2006, 12:08 AM
http://daytondaily.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=Phillips+picks+a+number%2C+gets+cozy&expire=&urlID=17856091&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.daytondailynews.com%2Fsports% 2Fcontent%2Fsports%2Freds%2Fdaily%2F0410redsnotesw eb.html&partnerID=530
REDS NOTES

Phillips picks a number, gets cozy
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Brandon Phillips always wore No. 7 on his back, but the Cincinnati Reds' latest infield coach Bucky Dent wears that numeral, causing general manager Wayne Krivsky to tell Dent, "There might be a Rolex watch in your future if Phillips really wants that number from you."

Tools
Top 5 stories
Breakdown of Sunday's sports highlights
Dragons eclipsed by Hawks
Dragons' pitching solid despite record
Breakdown of what happened in sports on Saturday
Dragons' win warms chilly night
RSS headlines available

MORE REDS
Reds game:Reds offense sputters in loss to Pirates
Unlucky Williams:Reds' shoddy defense lets pitcher down
Knowing that Barry Larkin was Phillips' favorite player, Krivsky offered him Larkin's old No. 11, but Phillips said, "No, he's my man. I can't wear his number.'"

Phillips, the club's most recent infield acquisition and a guy of whom scouts have compared to former Cincinnati infielder Pokey Reese, settled for No. 4 and on Sunday morning was settling into his clubhouse dressing stall.

"I heard Cincinnati was a team that might trade for me and that's nice because my favorite player growing up was Barry Larkin so it is nice to be on the same team he played for," said Phillips. "The first Braves game I ever went to he played shortstop for the Reds and made a lot of great plays. I've liked him ever since and always kept up with him."

Phillips considers himself both a shortstop and a second baseman, but because he played mostly second base last year he prefers second base — a position already shared by Tony Womack, Ryan Freel and Rich Aurilia. Phillips, though, may carry the most proficient glove.

"Whatever happens, happens and I'm just happy to be here, to tell you the truth," he said of his situation.

To his credit, he is bluntly honest about how he killed his career in Cleveland after carrying a can't-miss-superstar tag. He missed.

"The year 2003 just killed me," he said. "It was my rookie season and I got caught up in the atmosphere. I started good and I hit a walk-off home run and I said, 'Man, that was good,' and then all I heard was, 'The rookie did this and the rookie did that,' all the talk and the publicity and I got caught up in all that. It really hurt me. Then I got sent down and I got mad because I'd never had failure."

Phillips hadn't played in 10 days since the Indians designated him for assignment, but he stung a pinch-hit double Sunday in his first appearance. "He's very talented, being able to play shortstop and second base and we hope he can help us immediately and if not maybe he can help us in the future," said manager Jerry Narron.

Delay on LaRue

Disabled catcher Jason LaRue had another bullpen catching session to test his surgically repaired right knee Sunday and while he is eligible to come off the disabled list Monday, it won't happen.

Instead, he will be in Sarasota Tuesday catching pitcher Paul Wilson's start in extended spring training.

"We're not sure he is totally ready and we don't want to rush him," said general manager Wayne Krivsky. "We want to do the right thing and be smart."

Krivsky said when LaRue comes back the club is likely to carry three catchers (LaRue, Javier Valentin, David Ross) for a while.

He'd prefer infinity

After his first two appearances, relief pitcher Chris Hammond's earned run average was infinity. Because he hadn't recorded an out, his earned run average couldn't be figured.

On Saturday, he finally recorded an out and owns his own personal ERA, but probably wishes he didn't. It is 189.00 — one-third of an inning over three appearances (that's one out recorded), giving up five hits and two walks, with all seven base runners scoring.

What's up, Wayne?

With the jam-up in the infield that includes four second basemen and a roster that soon will include three catchers, it figures general manager Wayne Krivsky is hot on the trail of trade.

"Not really, nothing much going on," he said. "We're trying to do something with Matt Kata since we've designated him for assignment. We'd like to do something good for him in a trade that is almost something good for us."

Yes, Kata was a second baseman, too.

SirFelixCat
04-10-2006, 12:14 AM
I can not believe that's true, what Krivsky said about no trade in the works..

reds44
04-10-2006, 12:15 AM
It could be, but I don't think it is. Krivs is never going to tell you something is brewing. Plus if you say you are looking to dump something the players value goes down right away.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 12:17 AM
I do, we have all the MI we need ;)

The_jbh
04-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Ummm tell Krivsky he is to never offer Barry Larkin's number to another player EVER AGAIN that 11 needs to be retired

Topcat
04-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Ummm tell Krivsky he is to never offer Barry Larkin's number to another player EVER AGAIN that 11 needs to be retired

Ok I agree that the number should not just be tossed out for sure, but there will come a day when if every team retires revered players jersey numbers , then 99 will become a ss number. My personal thoughts are making a diamond of honor plaques around the field somewhere. Screw the number honor the player.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 04:22 AM
What's wrong with 99? :D

GAC
04-10-2006, 08:51 AM

But the key words are "in the works".

It doesn't mean, especially after the activity we've seen in the last month or so, that they aren't shopping around and weighing their options.

Benihana
04-10-2006, 09:57 AM
I know I'm late to the party on this one (I was moving all weekend), but put me down as liking this trade. Although he has been nothing short of anemic in the last couple seasons, Brandon Phillips was a top 5 prospect just a couple of years ago, and the premier middle infield prospect in the game. I think at worst he is a 2003-version of D'Angelo Jimenez or a 2001 Pokey Reese, and better yet hopefully he can start converting some of the potential he once showed into production. If only we didn't have Womack on the roster (not to beat a dead horse) this deal would look great pairing him up with Freel as a platoon at 2B and a backup at SS. Also this allows us to not rush William Bergolla should an injury occur to one of our middle infielders.