PDA

View Full Version : Clutch or automatic

M2
04-07-2006, 05:57 PM
This came up on the baseball side, but I'm just curious to see how many folks still drive a vehicle with a clutch.

westofyou
04-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Me here, A Clutch..... for 26 years.

KronoRed
04-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Automatic, I'm a sissie.

rdiersin
04-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Automatic, actually I don't know how to drive a car with a standard.

vaticanplum
04-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I don't have a car, but I do prefer a clutch. Even though for the first six months I drove one, I had a big sign in the back window screaming "NEW STICK SHIFT DRIVER - PLEASE KEEP DISTANCE". Because, you know, a good way to improve your driving is to plaster a huge sign on the back window. (But it worked.)

Anyway, saves gas money.

RBA
04-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Automatic! It's too hard changing the XM channel, reaching into the backseat to smack the kid, talk on my cell phone, eat a Six Dollar Burger, honk my horn at the losers that can't drive, and still worry about operating the clutch. ;)

RBA
04-07-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't have a car, but I do prefer a clutch. Even though for the first six months I drove one, I had a big sign in the back window screaming "NEW STICK SHIFT DRIVER - PLEASE KEEP DISTANCE". Because, you know, a good way to improve your driving is to plaster a huge sign on the back window. (But it worked.)

Anyway, saves gas money.

Actually the new automatics can save you more money on gas than a standard.

vaticanplum
04-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Actually the new automatics can save you more money on gas than a standard.

Really? Then I want an electric car. Nothing to do with money, but unspeakably rad.

M2
04-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Automatic! It's too hard changing the XM channel, reaching into the backseat to smack the kid, talk on my cell phone, eat a Six Dollar Burger, honk my horn at the losers that can't drive, and still worry about operating the clutch. ;)

Don't forget about cracking open that 40.

pedro
04-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Living in atlanta ruined driving a car with a clutch for me. 60 mile day rt commute in heavy traffic. My left leg started to get oddly popeye like.

RFS62
04-07-2006, 06:07 PM

No kidding. Plus messing with the computer and GPS

RBA
04-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Don't forget about cracking open that 40.

Oh, I forgot one other thing. But this is a family board. :eek: :D

RedsBaron
04-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Automatic. I'm secure in my manhood.

Hap
04-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I drove a standard for seven years and I was never happier to have a car break down beyond repair. I have had an automatic for the past seven years and I do not miss the standard at all.

letsgojunior
04-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Automatic - I fully concur with RBA that I have enough on my mind between changing songs on my iPod and ordering take-out on my cell ;)

Yachtzee
04-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Automatic is fine if a car is just for getting from point A to point B. But if you want to enjoy driving your car, you gotta have manual shift.

Chip R
04-08-2006, 12:56 AM
I would rather drive a clutch but I have problem with my right knee where if I have my foot on the accellerator for a while, it gets very sore. Of course I do not have cruise in my current car so it does not make much of a difference, I suppose.

KittyDuran
04-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Automatic, actually I don't know how to drive a car with a standard.Same here...

BCubb2003
04-08-2006, 04:36 AM
A manual.

If automatics had been invented first, probably nobody would use a stickshift. It would be like powerless steering.

Caveat Emperor
04-08-2006, 05:10 AM
I drive an automatic -- I sincerely doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to own a manual transmission car, since most cars that have a clutch as an option are far too small for someone my size to fit comfortably behind the wheel of AND operate three different pedals.

Oh well -- for what it's worth, I always play the arcade driving games on "manual" whenever my friends and I go to Gameworks to hang before a Reds game.

Sweetstop
04-08-2006, 09:55 AM
My MINI Cooper has a six-speed..fun to drive. My Sentra is automatic. I go both ways I suppose.

cincinnati chili
04-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Boston traffic ruined the "joy" of a manual tranny for me. After some idiot trucker totalled my manual transmission car in '04, I switched back to automatic. I'll probably never switch back unless I move to a rural area.

Yachtzee
04-08-2006, 10:21 AM
I drive an automatic -- I sincerely doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to own a manual transmission car, since most cars that have a clutch as an option are far too small for someone my size to fit comfortably behind the wheel of AND operate three different pedals.

Oh well -- for what it's worth, I always play the arcade driving games on "manual" whenever my friends and I go to Gameworks to hang before a Reds game.

I have a Toyota Camry SE with manual. It's pretty roomy. I have a feeling that eventually manual will be limited to high-end sports cars in the US. Manual is much more popular in Europe. The ability to let it all hang out on the Autobahn probably helps make manuals more fun.

SunDeck
04-08-2006, 10:21 AM
We have a standard and an automatic. My left knee is starting to tell me to go with the standard, but I still have a big soft spot for the control of shifting myself.

RedFanAlways1966
04-08-2006, 10:33 AM

Exactly how I feel!!

OldRightHander
04-08-2006, 10:41 AM
We have one standard and two automatics. Which one I prefer depends on where I am at the moment. For the normal commuting, I prefer the automatic. City traffic jams are no fun with a manual. If I can get out of the city on some fun kind of roads, (you know, those with only two lanes and nothing but countryside to look at) I prefer the manual. Driving a stick can be a lot of fun in the right setting.

SandyD
04-08-2006, 10:41 AM
I learned to drive a standard as a teenager in the energy crisis of the mid 70s. As an adult, I've never owned a standard, though I test drove one once. Ended up buying another vehilce with an automatic. A few months later, I blew out my left knee. If I had taken that standard, I would not have been able to drive for weeks, maybe longer. I still have occasional trouble with that knee, so I'll probably never own a stick shift veh.

SunDeck
04-08-2006, 10:52 AM
My brother taught me how to drive a stick. At the time I had an automatic. He asked me to follow him to Northgate Mall, where he was going to drop his '74 Vega off at Sears to get new shocks. When we got there, he tossed me his keys, jumped in my car and took off.

Once I got the gears rounded off, it was pretty smooth driving.

DropDocK
04-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Automatic

I know how to drive a clutch but it wasn't up to me when I ended up with an automatic vehicle. I'd like to have a standard shift vehicle someday.

IslandRed
04-08-2006, 12:04 PM
I owned nothing but stick-shift cars until we had kids. That's just how it goes. A new minivan for the missus is on top of the priority list, so the S2000 will have to wait.

Newport Red
04-09-2006, 09:50 PM
5 speed.
I had an automatic and couldn't wait to get rid of it. What a snooze.

Danny Serafini
04-09-2006, 10:17 PM
I'll never willingly buy a car with an automatic, stickshift all the way for me.

bucksfan
04-10-2006, 12:01 AM
WE've had both. For a while both of our vehicles were stick, now they are both automatics. Realistically we probably won;t have a stick again unless we become wealthy and can afford to have a sports car for a "toy". But otherwise the convenience of the automatics and the fact that either of us owning a sportscar (where IMO we'd get the most out of a manual transmision) would be very impractical seems to have us in automatics for the forseeable future. But I do miss our old 5-speed Pathfinder sometimes...

creek14
04-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Clutch until I was 40. Automatic since. Although a friend of mine just bought one of these http://www.edmunds.com/media/2002/naias/pontiac.solstice.f34.500.jpg and it gave me the itch to drive a sporty stick shift again.

gonelong
04-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Mrs. Gonelong and I both drove sticks for years on end. However, at this time, we both are driving automatics.

I don't really have a preference for either one ... I view a car as a tool, it holds no real fascination for me any more than a hammer does.

If I owned a 1970 Barracuda or similar, then I might have a different take on things.

GL

GIK
04-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Automatics should be illegal.

Roy Tucker
04-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Stick for fun, automatic for utility, i.e. sometimes, the trip is the thing, other times, just getting there is the object. Unfortunately, at this stage of my life, the trip is rarely the thing.

I taught my son how to drive a stick about a year ago. That was quite the adventure. The skid marks are still visible on the neighborhood streets and I still have the neckbrace from the whiplash.

westofyou
04-10-2006, 12:10 PM
I taught my son how to drive a stick about a year ago.
This can seque into the realm of showing your age... I learned how to drive a stick in a 62 Falcon with 3 in the tree.

That sucker stalled out 35 times around the block.

M2
04-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Ahh, the old steering column shift. If you wanted to torture a modern teenager you could give him/her a three-speed column shifter and say the car is his/hers if he/she can figure out how to drive it.

Roy, how big did your son's eyes get when you showed him how to drop gear in order to accelerate?

gonelong
04-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Ahh, the old steering column shift. If you wanted to torture a modern teenager you could give him/her a three-speed column shifter and say the car is his/hers if he/she can figure out how to drive it.

Roy, how big did your son's eyes get when you showed him how to drop gear in order to accelerate?

My first vehicle was a '71 Ford pickup with 3 on the tree. Or ... really, my first vehicle was a John Deere. I used to drive it back and forth between my neighbors farms (3-4 miles). By the time I had turned 16 I had 2-3 years of "experience" and didn't need any instruction on driving a stick.

Dad put me in the truck at 15 1/2 or so and had me drive him around. When we got home all he said was, "here are the keys".

GL

Roy Tucker
04-10-2006, 01:58 PM

Actually, that's how my dad proposed it to me when I asked him for a car. He had a beat-to-crap '60 Falcon with the column shift and said "good luck son". My best friend lived on a farm so we drove the car around an open field to learn. Just had to dodge cows.

My son was a tad reluctant, but I told him it was one of those life skills a guy needs, like tipping a bartender or tying a tie. I bought him a 2001 Saturn with a massive 1.9 liter 4 banger with neck-snapping torque (ho-ho) and a 5 speed. He has a lot of fun with it now. Plus he's got a nice iPod-compatible sound system in it so I borrow "his" car every so often and crank up the tunes.

And the either further date myself, my middle child turns 15 1/2 tomorrow which makes her eligible for getting her temporary license. She has reminded me of this a few billion times. To which I ask if she has enough money yet to pay for drivers ed. and contribute to my monthly car insurance bill. The conversation hasn't gotten past that yet. Although she starts her job at Wild Oats next week so I imagine the conversation will get revived.

RFS62
04-10-2006, 03:50 PM
I too learned on a '60 Falcon station wagon, three speed on the column.

We called it "the bomb".

westofyou
04-10-2006, 03:55 PM
I too learned on a '60 Falcon station wagon, three speed on the column.

We called it "the bomb".

I'm closer to the golden dawn
I can't believe the wagon's gone
It's history
I'm living in a callous realm
Where others seem to dig it
Just too much reality
I'm frightened by the total goal
I'm drawing to the ragged hole
And I ain't got the wagon anymore
No, I ain't got the wagon anymore

creek14
04-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Automatics should be illegal.
Get back to me in a few years when you have two kids in car seats in the back screaming for the bottle and pacifier that they threw and are now rolling under your feet and you're at a stop light on a hill. ;)

pedro
04-10-2006, 03:57 PM
I had one of these. (actually I've had three, 75, 77, 84)

Loved those cars. Especially the 77.

http://www.atg-online.org/Gallery%20Pics/photos%20page/75rocc2.jpg

RFS62
04-10-2006, 04:02 PM
I graduated from the Falcon to this one...

http://www.bcautos.com/musclecars/68ss.jpg

westofyou
04-10-2006, 04:17 PM
http://www.cars-on-line.com/17500/69cam17517-C.jpg

TeamCasey
04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Automatic

I had to drive TB's stick shift from New York. She had the flu. She pulled over behind a gas station and said, "I can't drive anymore." I got a 5 minute lesson and got us home. I can't believe I didn't wipe out all the Teamsters that day. It was horrible, torrential rain. I pulled over close to home and told TB she had to get us to the house, I was afraid I'd drive through it.

wally post
04-10-2006, 07:23 PM
i once had a dodge with the slant six. it had a three on a tree (!). fun tranny.
My wife and I have always had manual transmissions - I think the manual truly helps you feel the road and control the curves more. But just got a snazzy european-made wagon with a 6 speed. I'm thrilled to have the auto. - the car drives like a slot is in the road!

SunDeck
04-10-2006, 08:03 PM
http://www.postcardpost.com/cr22.jpg

The only thing missing in this pic is the duct tape holding the front quarter on. My brother called it the Ragavee.

GIK
04-10-2006, 08:07 PM
That Vega is horrifying. My Dad's first new car was a '74 and he sold it before the engine blew.

GIK
04-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Get back to me in a few years when you have two kids in car seats in the back screaming for the bottle and pacifier that they threw and are now rolling under your feet and you're at a stop light on a hill. ;)

Maybe so, and my fiance won't drive a standard, but I won't give in!

Well, maybe.

SunDeck
04-10-2006, 08:13 PM
That Vega is horrifying. My Dad's first new car was a '74 and he sold it before the engine blew.
I can't remember if my brother sold his or just pushed it into the Ohio.
Then again, I didn't do much better on my first vehicle purchase, a 1971 Datsun 1600 pickup.

pedro
04-10-2006, 08:20 PM
I had a soccer coach who had a vega like that. He looked like Al Franken and you could see through the floor of the car. We used to have great fun dropping things out onto the road on the way to/from games.

RedsBaron
04-10-2006, 10:25 PM

Nice wheels.:thumbup:

SunDeck
04-11-2006, 09:41 AM
I had a soccer coach who had a vega like that. He looked like Al Franken and you could see through the floor of the car. We used to have great fun dropping things out onto the road on the way to/from games.
The seat posts of my brother's fell through the floor boards. He had the gangsta lean before Snoopdog was out of diapers.

And I think the quarter panel rusted off before the original tires wore out. It was the beginning of a long slide for GM.

Hey, did your Scirocco leave a trail of oil behind it like my rabbit did? I used to put $5.00 of gas and a quart of oil in that poc every week. But that German handling was something!

RedFanAlways1966
04-11-2006, 09:55 AM

Wow. My first car was a red 1968 Camaro. Mine wasn't an SS version though... just the norm with a 327. I still kick myself for not hanging onto it!

Red Leader
04-11-2006, 10:23 AM
My first two cars were manual transmission, a 85 Toyota MR2, and a 90 Chevy Blazer. After I sold my Blazer with 145K miles on it, I bought a Nissan Altima that was automatic. I hated it. The car was stolen last year, and I bought a 5 speed Honda CR-V. I like it a lot, although this is the first car I've had where I use my cell phone a lot. Talking on the phone and shifting is not a very fun combination. Most times I just let it roll to voice mail, but sometimes the call is unavoidable, so I'll just throw the phone down, shift, and then pick the phone back up.

Yachtzee
04-11-2006, 12:53 PM
My first two cars were manual transmission, a 85 Toyota MR2, and a 90 Chevy Blazer. After I sold my Blazer with 145K miles on it, I bought a Nissan Altima that was automatic. I hated it. The car was stolen last year, and I bought a 5 speed Honda CR-V. I like it a lot, although this is the first car I've had where I use my cell phone a lot. Talking on the phone and shifting is not a very fun combination. Most times I just let it roll to voice mail, but sometimes the call is unavoidable, so I'll just throw the phone down, shift, and then pick the phone back up.

A hands-free headset for your cell phone does wonders. I have a 5-speed Toyota Camry SE. I had the cell phone issues until I got a new cell phone. They actually gave me the car charger and the hands-free set with the phone.

pedro
04-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey, did your Scirocco leave a trail of oil behind it like my rabbit did? I used to put $5.00 of gas and a quart of oil in that poc every week. But that German handling was something!

Not really, but I did seel the 77 one to this guy from WV. I asked what he was going to do with it and he said that they raced Scirroco's on dirt tracks in WV. I thought that was a cool ending to my car. It did handle great.

westofyou
04-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Hey, did your Scirocco leave a trail of oil behind it like my rabbit did?
Once I had to drive one of those across the country for him, the damn thing broke down in the Mojave Desert and I was stuck there for 3 days, then the moron who fixed it set the timing wrong and after 60 miles the points kept closing and the car would die. I was with my wife (way before she was the wife) and we'd roll to the side of the road and I'd have to reset the points, which I did with a folded up matchbook cover, I did this about 6 times until we got to Utah and found a VW dealer.

Still to this day she tells folks how I fixed the car with a matchbook cover and got us out of the hinderlands.

pedro
04-11-2006, 01:07 PM
A guitar pick was always good for the points too.

Red Leader
04-11-2006, 01:09 PM
A hands-free headset for your cell phone does wonders. I have a 5-speed Toyota Camry SE. I had the cell phone issues until I got a new cell phone. They actually gave me the car charger and the hands-free set with the phone.

What is this technology you speak of? :laugh:

I try, at all costs, to avoid using my cell phone at all. Sometimes, it is unavoidable...the wife calling to have me pick up something on the way home, etc. Most calls are less than 1 minute. Once I get in 5th, it's not a problem and my drive home is all highway, so it's only in about the first 5 minutes of my drive, and the last 5 where it's a problem. I don't want to spend more money on something I hope not to use, but I appreciate the you mentioning this. If it gets too annoying, I'll probably get a hands free device, but until then I like ignoring my phone calls or acting like I was listening the whole time. :laugh:

Puffy
04-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Automatic.

I had a standard for a bit - we bought the car without me knowing how to drive a manuel, I left for school almost two days later and I never figured out how to do it. It did not end well. I am an automatic dude all the way.

Jpup
04-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Automatic. Standards are useless to me, a waste of time and energy.

I have a 2005 Nissan Titan.

Rojo
04-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Once I had to drive one of those across the country for him, the damn thing broke down in the Mojave Desert

Rojo's maxim, "Never drive a German car through the desert". Seriously. Happens every time.

LincolnparkRed
04-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Automatic.

I had a standard for a bit - we bought the car without me knowing how to drive a manuel, I left for school almost two days later and I never figured out how to do it. It did not end well. I am an automatic dude all the way.

I had almost the same thing, my parents leased me a car through college that was manual without me being able to drive it at first. It took a few days but driving back from UD to Centerville uphill almost the whole way made me pretty good at it real fast. Now I don't drive much since the bus is cheaper than driving.

Red in Chicago
04-21-2006, 08:32 PM
my first car was a vw beetle (bug)...my dad taught me how to drive it...i can still see his head bobbing back and forth as i tried to shift gears...i can't tell you how many cups of coffee he ended up spilling all over the place...not sure why he even bothered to bring it along...

the first time i took the car out by myself, i car stuck at a 6 way intersection...it was a complete nightmare...i had to walk over to a nearby restaurant and have my dad help me get going again...my trouble was getting started in first gear, not shifting after i once got moving...oy vey...

SunDeck
04-22-2006, 12:59 PM
What is this technology you speak of? :laugh:

I try, at all costs, to avoid using my cell phone at all. Sometimes, it is unavoidable...the wife calling to have me pick up something on the way home, etc. Most calls are less than 1 minute. Once I get in 5th, it's not a problem and my drive home is all highway, so it's only in about the first 5 minutes of my drive, and the last 5 where it's a problem. I don't want to spend more money on something I hope not to use, but I appreciate the you mentioning this. If it gets too annoying, I'll probably get a hands free device, but until then I like ignoring my phone calls or acting like I was listening the whole time. :laugh:

Back in the day, my wife could roll a cigarette while driving a stick, but she won't answer the phone when she's driving her minivan. Now, since she doesn't give out the number and I'm the only one who knows it off the top of their head, you may point out the obvious...but I would prefer to think she's being safe.