PDA

View Full Version : "This one finally belongs to the Reds"

George Foster
04-08-2006, 12:20 AM
12:15 am

"This one finally belongs to the reds" as spoken by Marty. Bad bullpen pitching, and a blown double play ball almost cost the reds a win. Wow did anyone think the bullpen would be this bad and the starting pitching...well pretty good? Milton pitched 92 pitches, 7 innings, 2 runs...I'll take it every time.

Ryan the Reds Fan
04-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Is Milty actually going to surprise us all this year? Sounds like he put up a solid outing this evening. Good for him.

kaldaniels
04-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Is Milty actually going to surprise us all this year? Sounds like he put up a solid outing this evening. Good for him.

I've believed all ST, Milton is the key to the year. Hopefully good karma evens out all the rotten karma he had last year. If Milton is 15-10, the Reds can contend for the WC.

harangatang
04-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Yeah but I'd hate to say how many balls went to the warning track.

George Foster
04-08-2006, 12:35 AM

If you remember, his last outing in Florida was great as well against the Indians. 5 innings no runs. He's on a roll!

Ryan the Reds Fan
04-08-2006, 12:36 AM

Yeah, i didn't get to listen to the game so maybe it was a lucky night for him, but who knows maybe he'll surprise us all.

flyer85
04-08-2006, 12:37 AM
I was at the game and I will continue to whine about the pen until Hammond/White/Burns are gone.

reds44
04-08-2006, 12:39 AM
I was at the game and I will continue to whine about the pen until Hammond/White/Burns are gone.
Shack and Wagner would quickly get ride of Hammond and White. Why they are in AAA anyways is beyond me.

And man you get home in a hurry.

DoogMinAmo
04-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Shack and Wagner would quickly get ride of Hammond and White. Why they are in AAA anyways is beyond me.

And man you get home in a hurry.

I honestly think Wayne is keeping them for trade value.

reds44
04-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I honestly think Wayne is keeping them for trade value.
No, your not going anything for them, and if you did it would be a PTBNL at best.

George Foster
04-08-2006, 12:43 AM

Were do you live? How did you post this? The game has only been over for 25 minutes. You have a killer computer.

flyer85
04-08-2006, 12:46 AM
[QUOTE=George Foster]Were do you live? How did you post this? The game has only been over for 25 minutes. You have a killer computer.[/QUOTEI have to admit I left in the 8th. I usually don't but I have to get up early today.

Jr's Boy
04-08-2006, 01:28 AM
No way Hammond should start an inning,he should be a situational lefty only.White is a scrub,nuff said.If Narron keeps trotting them out there we are in for trouble.Lets just hope Krivsky will take notice of White and or Hammond and release them if they keep throwing garbage.Right now i'm not too happy with Narron's BP decisions.

flyer85
04-08-2006, 01:29 AM
No way Hammond should start an inning.He should be a situational lefty only.Hammond is not a LOOGY, he is more effective against RH hitters because his change is his best pitch

minus5
04-08-2006, 02:45 AM

Who care how many balls go to the warning track? As long as they don't go out or bounce....?

KronoRed
04-08-2006, 02:46 AM
have to admit I left in the 8th. I usually don't but I have to get up early today.
Not a true fan :p:

;)

Caveat Emperor
04-08-2006, 04:03 AM
Who care how many balls go to the warning track? As long as they don't go out or bounce....?

Those flyouts to the warning track will carry the extra couple feet come summertime and be home runs in this ballpark.

It's the cool, damp air that's holding them in right now.

redsrule2500
04-08-2006, 04:24 AM
Let's all remember...this was the Pirates.

But let's hope this is a breakout year for Milton... :)

Larry Schuler
04-08-2006, 04:36 AM
Actually those flyouts to the warning track will carry a few feet less come summertime and be easy flyouts in this ballpark.

It's the cool damp air that is keeping Milton's velocity and release point off.

redsmetz
04-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Let's all remember...this was the Pirates.

But let's hope this is a breakout year for Milton... :)

Yes, true, but a win is a win. In 1999, that ONE game would have been the difference between winning a play-off spot or playing a tie-breaker game (and that year, it was just the Brewers). Beating the teams you should beat helps as much as any other win.

kbrake
04-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Steve said last night that Milton was throwing in the high 80's and that really scares me. The exciting thing about Milton during ST was that he was throwing 93, I have a feeling if he cant get it back up over 90 this might have been Milton's only 7 inning start.

GAC
04-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Isn't the reasoning on to why Wags was sent down was because they wanted him develop another pitch to add to his resume (his sinker)?

RedLegSuperStar
04-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Take in to consideration this is only game four. We all had these same feelings last year with Ramon Ortiz, D'Angelo Jimenez, Rich Aurilia, And Eric Milton. Sure we were stuck with Milton, but Aurilia turned things around and became one of our more productive bats near seasons end. Both Ortiz and DJ are gone.. what "Leather Pants" sees in Ortiz is beyond me. But back to the topic at hand. I think Hammonds numbers in the past few seasons speak for themelf.. I believe he should be on this team and i'm glad he's back. As for White.. bad deal period. I think they tried to go for a Todd Jones-esc player and I just don't see it. Burns.. that's all I'll say... how you chose him over Wags is beyond me. But you got to like the 3-1 start. So something is going right. 158 more games to go to improve those shabby starts.. Heck Harang has a bloated ERA of 10.80.

KearnsyEars
04-08-2006, 08:40 AM
I can't believe it guys, we're 3-1 this is great!

OldRightHander
04-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Observing Milton last year and then this year, I think there is no doubt he is healthier now. His legs seem to be in better shape. With that said, he is always going to give up fly balls, and in this park a fair share of those are going to be caught either at the wall or by a fan beyond it. The key for a fly ball pitcher who gives up homers is to minimize the damage caused when he gives up a long ball. Don't go walking other hitters and giving up a lot of other hits. If he can keep folks off the bases so when he does give up a homer it's a solo shot or maybe a two run job and not give up too many of them, say no more than one in a game, then he might be ok. I also think the drop off in velocity last night could have had something to do with the wet conditions. I don't know how harder it is to get a good grip on the ball when it's damp out, but maybe that had an effect.

Now I'm not just making excuses for the guy. We all (or at least some of us) knew before he came here that he perhaps wouldn't be the best fit for this team given the type of park we play in and we knew that way too much money was spent on him, but if he can pitch the rest of the season like he did last night and during the spring, and even during a few brief flashes last year, at least he might not be the weak link on the team. I could live with that.

Dunner44
04-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Milton: 9 ground outs to 9 fly outs FWIW

DoogMinAmo
04-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Milton: 9 ground outs to 9 fly outs FWIW

I looked at Gameday's plotting of outs for Milton during the game, there was a tight ring in the infield, and then a huge ring at the warning track. Nothing in between. That is what we have with him, no fooling anyone. I am happy for Milty, but remember it was the Pirates, and his velocity was non-existant. (3Ks)

KronoRed
04-08-2006, 02:07 PM
I can't believe it guys, we're 3-1 this is great!
We were 3-1 last year :evil: