PDA

View Full Version : Any news on the roster move for Brandon P?

nkufan
04-08-2006, 12:13 PM
I was just wondering if there is any news on the move to go along with Brandon Phillips?

deltachi8
04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
from reds website:

Phillips will join the Reds on Sunday when a corresponding move that clears room on the 25-man roster is announced.

UPRedsFan
04-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I think the obvious move is Abad. But the real question is what happens when Larue's ready?

Phillips (can't be optioned)
Ross (can't be optioned)
Valentin
Womack
Aurilia
Denorfia

Sending Denorfia down would weaken the late inning defensive options for the outfield. Wouldn't match Krivsky's comments about needing to sure up the defense. Is there a trade in the works? Aurilia is shined up with 2 homers and 7 rbi.

Joseph
04-08-2006, 03:02 PM
It'll be Denorfia. Then if no trades are made by when LaRue comes off the DL, Abad will go.

PTBNL
04-08-2006, 03:10 PM
It'll be Denorfia. Then if no trades are made by when LaRue comes off the DL, Abad will go.

Completely agree. I would put $ on this being the scenario.

deltachi8
04-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Also, Quinten McCrackin is close to being able to play. Then what....only the shadow knows.

icehole3
04-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Also, Quinten McCrackin is close to being able to play. Then what....only the shadow knows.

Wayne Gretzky will sign another 2nd Baseman or a catcher.

pedro
04-08-2006, 04:40 PM
I think Womack will get DFA'd

cincyinco
04-08-2006, 04:45 PM
I think Womack will get DFA'd

Why does everyone keep saying this?

Not that I'm a Tony Womack fan, but I just don't see him getting DFA'd...

membengal
04-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I heartily echo M2's suggestion from the game thread that we make it Hammond who goes and simply go down to an 11 man pitching staff...

Danny Serafini
04-08-2006, 04:48 PM

Because it's wishful thinking. Reality says no team will DFA a player they owe $1 million dollars to after 5 games, it just doesn't make any sense.

wheels
04-08-2006, 04:53 PM
There's no way in Hades that they will keep four second basemen.

Womack or Aurilia could be as good as gone.

pedro
04-08-2006, 04:53 PM

Because they don't really have a spot for him to play now that they have Phillips. The money thing is a non issue, Womack wasn't a Krivsky acquisition and I doubt he's going to waste a roster spot on a guy they don't need over a million dollars. It just makes less sense to keep 4 second basemen on the roster (although I don't think RA will play much 2b this year)

pedro
04-08-2006, 04:55 PM
There's no way in Hades that they will keep four second basemen.

Womack or Aurilia could be as good as gone.

They won't dump RA. He has some value as a platoon guy at 1B and BU around the IF.

So, unless a trade is coming, Womack seems to me to be the odd man out.

I bet his agent is on the phone right now trying to find a team to take him in a face saving trade for a semi warm body once the Reds DFA him.

Heath
04-08-2006, 04:57 PM
I'd start RA anyday at 1b at GABP.

You can also go back in time on threads last year to see how much I really care about Richie.

I'm now going to go drink and toss in some prescription drugs. I'm really feeling it.

Wheelhouse
04-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Phillips also plays short with Felipe's only b/u being womack.

toledodan
04-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Because it's wishful thinking. Reality says no team will DFA a player they owe $1 million dollars to after 5 games, it just doesn't make any sense.

SO MUCH FOR GETTING RID OF HAMMOND AND WHITE!:bang: :bang: :bang:

pedro
04-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Phillips also plays short with Felipe's only b/u being womack.

Prior to Phillips, my guess is that RA was the next in line to get time at SS. I really don't see Womack playing there. he hasn't played any SS since 2003.

pedro
04-08-2006, 05:04 PM
I heartily echo M2's suggestion from the game thread that we make it Hammond who goes and simply go down to an 11 man pitching staff...

Hammond sure didn't look very convincing today.

wheels
04-08-2006, 05:15 PM
They won't dump RA. He has some value as a platoon guy at 1B and BU around the IF.

So, unless a trade is coming, Womack seems to me to be the odd man out.

I bet his agent is on the phone right now trying to find a team to take him in a face saving trade for a semi warm body once the Reds DFA him.

We're telekenetically linked on this one.

I was watching the game, fell asleep, saw an 11-9 score.....

Then I thought to myself (for no real reason) "Womack's as good as gone..."

Joseph
04-08-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't even count Aurilia as a 2B really. He's going to be primarily a corner IF moving forward. So to keep saying we have 4 2B isn't really an accurate count IMO. If you count him at 2B, you also have to count FeLo there as well. It's a position he can play but won't play with any regularity.

Hooligan
04-08-2006, 05:27 PM
I'd release Hammond and try and trade some of the other infielders. Phillips has more potential than Womack (I know I stated the obvious).

pedro
04-08-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't even count Aurilia as a 2B really. He's going to be primarily a corner IF moving forward. So to keep saying we have 4 2B isn't really an accurate count IMO. If you count him at 2B, you also have to count FeLo there as well. It's a position he can play but won't play with any regularity.

Well, RA does provide the requisite roster depth at the position. I just can't see where they'll carry that many MI on the 25 man roster.

balk
04-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Womack. I guarantee you the main concern with letting Womack go is who would be the leadoff hitter if Freel went down with an injury. I assume it would be Felipe, with Aurilia hitting second (and playing 2B). If they're comfortable with that scenario, then there's no point in holding on to Womack.

Abad. Personally, if my choice is between Abad and Denorfia, I keep Denorfia. He adds much more to the ballclub than Abad IMO. I don't know if I see both of them going, as that would leave Freel as the only extra outfielder.

Ross. Has to be considered since he would be the 3rd catcher. Did Sardinha clear waivers?

Hammond/White/Burns. From what I've seen, you can pretty much have your pick. We'd be as well off with Shackelford/Wagner/Robbins from what I can tell.

Reds4Life
04-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Denorfia was sent down to make room for Phillips.

Gallen5862
04-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Sardinha did clear waivers and accepted his assignment to AAA.

pedro
04-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Denorfia was sent down to make room for Phillips.

Interesting.

I wonder if they are just going to send Ross down when Larue comes back or if something else is in the works?

harangatang
04-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Interesting.

I wonder if they are just going to send Ross down when Larue comes back or if something else is in the works?
I think Ross has to clear waivers, so that's something else to throw in the mix.

UPRedsFan
04-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Was Hammond a Krivsky aquisition or Obrien or Kullman?

edabbs44
04-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Obrien.

balk
04-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Sardinha did clear waivers and accep[ted his assignment to AAA.

W/ Sardinha still in the organization, maybe they're more willing to take on the risk of clearing Ross through waivers?

SeeinRed
04-08-2006, 06:40 PM
I was kind of in and out on the game today. Did Womack make an apperance at all? If not, do you think there could have been a reason for that? Just something to think about. Maybe they don't want him to get hurt before they trade him? Probably not, but you certainly have to wonder whats going on in Krivsky's head at the moment. Having 4 at 2B and 3 Catchers sure is a strange situation for a "baseball man" to put his team in. The anticipation is killing me!

Big Klu
04-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I would like to see the Reds waive/option a pitcher to make room for LaRue. A 12-man pitching staff is folly because, as was discussed in the game thread, there is no such thing as a reliable 6th or 7th reliever. So what happens is that these bad pitchers take innings away from the better pitchers. Ideally, I think they should carry 10 pitchers (five starters/five relievers) and the fifth starter could work in relief and be skipped over if off days permit it. (Dave Williams could have been available to pitch in relief in the first two or three games of the homestand.) This in turn would allow the club to carry a third catcher (Ross) and an extra infielder for defensive purposes (Phillips).

My 25-man roster, if they were to take my advice:
Starting 8
1B Scott Hatteberg/Rich Aurilia (platoon)
2B Ryan Freel
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Felipe Fopez
LF Adam Dunn
CF Ken Griffey, Jr.
RF Austin Kearns
C Jason LaRue

Bench
C Javier Valentin
C Dave Ross
IF Rich Aurilia (or Hatteberg)
2B Tony Womack
2B Brandon Phillips
OF Andy Abad
OF Chris Denorfia

Rotation
Aaron Harang
Bronson Arroyo
Brandon Claussen
Eric Milton
Dave Williams

Bullpen
David Weathers
Kent Mercker
Todd Coffey
Brian Shackelford
Matt Belisle

Big Klu
04-08-2006, 07:01 PM
I was kind of in and out on the game today. Did Womack make an apperance at all? If not, do you think there could have been a reason for that? Just something to think about. Maybe they don't want him to get hurt before they trade him? Probably not, but you certainly have to wonder whats going on in Krivsky's head at the moment. Having 4 at 2B and 3 Catchers sure is a strange situation for a "baseball man" to put his team in. The anticipation is killing me!

No, Womack didn't play. But I wouldn't read anything into it. A situation which called for Womack never arose. The Reds have been platooning at 2B so far this season, with Womack starting against righties, and Freel starting against lefties. Since the Pirates started left-hander Oliver Perez, Freel started at 2B. As is often the case in a platoon situation where the right-handed-hitting half is a capable player (like Freel), the manager is willing to stick with him even after the opposition brings in a righty reliever. So Womack was relegated to being a lefty pinch-hitter and speed guy off the bench. But a situation that called for a lefty speed guy never arose.