PDA

View Full Version : Who to trade?

CincyFlip
04-08-2006, 05:47 PM
So what (if anything) is going to happen in the next few days? They obviosuly need a lot of help in the bullpen department. Who would you trade, and what relievers are you interested in? At the current time I'm thinking Freel has a lot of value, but I really don't want to see him go.

Little Alex
04-08-2006, 05:49 PM
I think Rich might be on the block.

Which would be no problem with me. Crowded on 2nd.

pedro
04-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Freel and Kearns seem to me to be the most likely candidates although I really don't want the Reds to trade either of them. TMBS, the Reds have some serious bullpen issue that aren't likely to resolve themselves.

Those are the only two guys I could really see being traded who are going to bring anything in return.

The Baumer
04-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Freel is a fire cracker. Put emphasis on his power and trade Aurillia. Womack can be Freel's relief.

pedro
04-08-2006, 05:52 PM
I think Rich might be on the block.

Which would be no problem with me. Crowded on 2nd.

I don't think so. He seems to be a pretty good fit for the Reds as a platoon / utilty for the Reds and I don't think anyone would offer anything for him. Remeber, anyone could have had him in the offseason for nothing and no one chose to sign him.

Falls City Beer
04-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Freel and Kearns seem to me to be the most likely candidates although I really don't want the Reds to trade either of them. TMBS, the Reds have some serious bullpen issue that aren't likely to resolve themselves.

Those are the only two guys I could really see being traded who are going to bring anything in return.

Trading Freel and Kearns would hurt the offense. But I'd be willing to trade both of them for immediate and long-term bullpen (or, obviously, starter) help.

Joseph
04-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't think so. He seems to be a pretty good fit for the Reds as a platoon / utilty for the Reds and I don't think anyone would offer anything for him. Remeber, anyone could have had him in the offseason for nothing and no one chose to sign him.

Well they chose not to pay what the Reds would pay. Someone could have been interested, though only at a veteran minimum type price. If a team had a need now, they might well be willing to up the ante for him.

That said I still think of him more as a corner IFer now and someone the Reds should hang on to for depth at all 4 IF positions.

pedro
04-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Trading Freel and Kearns would hurt the offense. But I'd be willing to trade both of them for immediate and long-term bullpen (or, obviously, starter) help.

I agree.

If the trades were good ones.

I think they could slot Denorfia and/or Phillips in the lineup and get by.

GOREDSGO32
04-08-2006, 06:05 PM
LaRue seems the most obvious choice ... rumors were swirling a while back about a LaRue for Penny trade.

pedro
04-08-2006, 06:06 PM
LaRue seems the most obvious choice ... rumors were swirling a while back about a LaRue for Penny trade.

True, I could see either Larue or Valentin being traded.

Joseph
04-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I'd love to see Valentin moved for another starter or a decent reliever. Don't know if any GM will pay that price though.

edabbs44
04-08-2006, 06:18 PM

If we got Penny for LaRue, Krivsky would be arrested for grand larceny. Valentin murders righties and Ross can hit against lefties. And penny can come in for DWill. Winners all around.

Except for the bullpen. Need more help there than anywhere. If Penny is out there, we should try for Brazoban as well.

pedro
04-08-2006, 06:26 PM
If we got Penny for LaRue, Krivsky would be arrested for grand larceny. Valentin murders righties and Ross can hit against lefties. And penny can come in for DWill. Winners all around.

Except for the bullpen. Need more help there than anywhere. If Penny is out there, we should try for Brazoban as well.

I actually think it would be a pretty fair trade. Good catchers have a lot more value than you think.

NewEraReds
04-08-2006, 06:29 PM
i wouldnt. it would hurt the offense and defense. those would be 2 of the last guys i would move on this team. id move dunn before those too. i dont care how many homers he hits.

NewEraReds
04-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I actually think it would be a pretty fair trade. Good catchers have a lot more value than you think.
get a pitcher not named penny and fine. i dont know what it is that people on here like so much

Topcat
04-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Players id'd look to trade are Mercker (vet solid reliever) for 2 like middlin younger ones(rp) from a team looking for a more proven vetran rp. Sell the idea to the Angels or Yankee's and get 2 younger rp's if this is possible :confused: . I also would look into what Billy Beane may want to deal for a couple of rp's and offer aurillia and begolla etc, in a blah but lets try to fill each others middlin needs. I hope this makes sense. I speak much better than I write (honestly);)

pedro
04-08-2006, 06:34 PM
get a pitcher not named penny and fine. i dont know what it is that people on here like so much

I'm pretty tepid on Penny. He wouldn't hurt but it sure isn't solving the relief problems.

indyred
04-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Freel or Kearns would be about it...............and neither is going to get you much. The Reds have to trade for pitching. No big name free agent pitcher is going to come here, unless they overpay them big time. The guy that could could be moved is Lopez, he could bring a decent starting pitcher. But, I doubt they are looking to move him. But if they want to make a splash, he would be the trade bait required.

alexad
04-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Freel or Kearns would be about it...............and neither is going to get you much. The Reds have to trade for pitching. No big name free agent pitcher is going to come here, unless they overpay them big time. The guy that could could be moved is Lopez, he could bring a decent starting pitcher. But, I doubt they are looking to move him. But if they want to make a splash, he would be the trade bait required.

Never happen. Lopez is going to be here as long as he wants to start for the Reds at SS. He will be the next great SS after Davey C and Barry L.
The Reds do a couple of things right and SS is one of them.

indyred
04-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Never happen. Lopez is going to be here as long as he wants to start for the Reds at SS. He will be the next great SS after Davey C and Barry L.
The Reds do a couple of things right and SS is one of them.

I don't think he will be traded either. But, he is the kind of talent that you need to deal for quality pitching....

Krusty
04-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't think he will be traded either. But, he is the kind of talent that you need to deal for quality pitching....

Lopez is one of the building blocks you keep unless there is a deal that knocks your socks off.

BoCcc2832
04-08-2006, 11:30 PM
If Freel goes, I will seriously cry and then look for someone to hurt. I feel more strongly about Freel going then I did Casey, and that's hard to believe. Freel gives his all (does anyone remember the thread about passion?) always and never quits. He is someone that needs to be on all teams, but fortunately for us, he's with the Reds and wants to stay with the Reds until his career is finished. Freel must stay. I love Aurilia too because he's proven to be a run producer but I like Freel better. Deal one of the catchers for a bullpen man.

Shaknb8k
04-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Here is what i think the trade value of players who are being discussed:
Kearns-good SP maybe a Arroyo type. With good package would draw a Reds front line starter or a complete overhaul of the bullpen.

LaRue-maybe a SP that would push Williams out of the rotation if traded to a team desperatly needing a catcher. Or very good bullpen help. With a package could get a pretty decent SP and RP.

Freel-Can be sent to a team really needing a good leadoff hitter and speed. See LaRue for what we could get in return.

Valentin- Could be sent to a team very despearte for a catcher or as a real good backup. Would probably draw good RP that could really help our bullpen. With the right package might draw a starter to push Williams out of the rotation but that is pushing it.

Aurilia- I dont really see high value in him right now. I think he would have value more at the deadline when a team needs a vetern bat off the bench or a replacement for an injured player. Value now is probably a good RP value at the deadline is probably a real good RP or decent prospect.

Womack- I really dont believe he has any value at all. But if there is a team out there that really and I stress really needs a middle infielder or some speed then we might be able to deal him. I say his value at best is a reliever around a Merker level which would help the team by pushing another RP out but is definatly not a long term plan for the bullpen. Conclusion on Womack: Pull the trigger if a team offers anything at all (extra bag of baseball's included).

take it for what its worth. I have no inside knowledge of trade talks so i dont have a clue of the real trade value of these players but this is really what I think the value could be.

That being said I say we trade LaRue and Freel in a package. Because if you replace LaRue with Valentin I dont think you can get SP (which i believe is needed before RP) and the same if you place Womack in for Freel. Im a huge fan of both Freel and LaRue but i understand that the pitching is terrible here and Great Hitting + Terrible Pitching= 5th place so I say trade LaRue and Freel for SP in you can but if you get only RP in the deal then rework it and dont give up those two until you have to.

KronoRed
04-08-2006, 11:39 PM
I'd trade Kearns first, we have a replacement ready to go in Deno, maybe not as much O..but Freel going huts the O even more.

TOBTTReds
04-09-2006, 12:26 AM
If Lopez went, which I'm concerned about considering WK saying "Phillips played a lot of SS too," I would think that is a huge mistake. We've been waiting for the "next Larkin" to be here, and I think he is...in fact we don't even MENTION Barry Larkin anymore because he has played that well.

Definitely don't want to see Freel go.

Kearns...send him off if we get pitching. Like others have said, we have Deno to play. Or Freel could play there too. If ego didn't get in the way, Jr. would be in right and Freel in center.

Valentin...I think he just demolishes RH'ers too much to give him up, but I guess I would if the price was right, but I don't think we could get much for him anyway. There isn't league-wide respect for him, but there is for LaRue. Therefore, I would trade LaRue.

Aurilia...Never said this before, but I like him in there vs. LH'ers atleast. He is a good platoon guy and a good PH. Our bench is actually decent bc of him and Hatteberg and Womack (to PR if we need it).

Crash Davis
04-09-2006, 12:28 AM

First of all, LaRue isn't going to fetch Penny. Not even close. Besides the fact that Penny has much more trade value than LaRue, the Dodgers have Navarro now and Russ Martin probably less than a year away. They're going to want to see what these talented youngsters can do before giving away their playing time to a guy like LaRue. Sandy Alomar is already around for veteran presence.

Secondly, here's why I like Penny:

- He sits comfortably at 93-95 on his fastball, which he commands pretty well and often threads the black at the knees on the outside corner. Even better, his 4-seamer really jumps late.

- Command of a good fastball is the first key to success as a starting pitcher. Just ask Mazzone.

- He has a decent changeup and a very good tight curveball.

- If he is past his rather unique health problems, he does have top of the rotation stuff. We obviously don't have anybody like that around here (nor have we for quite some time).

- If you can get a Brad Penny and add a couple of impact bullpen arms through trade, luck, waiver wire, minors, discovery of a new pitch or however else bullpen arms fall out of trees, then it could start to get interesting around here.

reds44
04-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Focus has to be on signing Lopez, and not trading him. If you let him go, it would be flat out stupid. If Boras' asking price is somewhat reasonable you need to jump over it now.

edabbs44
04-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Lopez can't go anywhere, unless it was in a Godfather-type deal (can't refuse). I think the SPs have been fine and the bullpen has been a joke. So let's get some bullpen arms and this could be a suprise team. We can try Shack and Wagner, but I think we might need another 1-2 arms out there.

Guacarock
04-09-2006, 12:57 AM
The player I'd trade: Jason Larue. But I sincerely doubt he could fetch us a starting pitcher of Penny's caliber or even that the Dodgers would need him.

A better potential destination for Larue: Colorado. They've got two journeymen 31-year-old catchers, neither of whom has more than 3 years ML service time. The two, Ardoin and Ojeda, combined to go 0-for-16 to start the season and while Ojeda whacked a homer today, neither is going to contribute much offense. Their combined, cumulative ML average hovers right around .210.

What might Larue fetch us from Colorado? Perhaps a starting pitcher. But why not ask instead for reliever Ray King and 1B prospect Ryan Shealy? Shealy's ascent is blocked by Todd Helton. King is a crafty lefty known for his ability to induce ground balls. He has allowed only 8 HR over 161 IP during the last three years, holding opposing batters to a .228 average and posting a nifty 3.13 ERA.

King is 32, so he's no spring chicken. And weighing in at 242 pounds, he might not pass the Reds' Hancock test. But why should they care if he can stop the bleeding? King's $2.5 million salary also is a bit steep by Reds standards, but we would still come out ahead moneywise on the deal, shedding Larue's $3.9 million salary.

It works for us because we've got Valentin to catch, with Ross to caddy for him. It might work for Colorado because they've got a couple of southpaws in their pen beyond King, including closer Brian Fuentes and veteran Tom Martin. Perhaps we might have to flip them a Shackelford or Aurilia to clinch the deal, I dunno.

But I do know that King would give us a hammer in our weak pen, while Shealy could man 1B for the Reds for years to come, hitting for power, average and providing plus defense.

MartyFan
04-09-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm pretty tepid on Penny. He wouldn't hurt but it sure isn't solving the relief problems.

Unless that means that we can move Williams/Wilson mid relief remove the dead wood and also pick up a closer.

I'd say that LaRue, Kearns, Freel, EE, Rich, Lopez, Merker and Womack are all available. Not all will be moved, obviously, but all are probably available for quality relief pitching...maybe a package of 2 - 3 for relief and sp.

One other thing...wondering if the there is a deal in the works involving any of the current YOUNG RP's...my explain why they are not going to the mound instead of a guy with an ERA of 12 million?

realistic
04-09-2006, 02:02 AM
id trade kearns before freel. lopez goes NOWHERE. id have no problem trading larue - if anyone truly wants an injured catcher in mid april...

id still be searching for another sp. can never have enough sp. get a solid arm , then push d williams to the pen. thats why the bullpen sucks, still no real depth in the rotation. we are getting there though

KronoRed
04-09-2006, 02:52 AM
Focus has to be on signing Lopez, and not trading him. If you let him go, it would be flat out stupid. If Boras' asking price is somewhat reasonable you need to jump over it now.
How often is Boras's asking price reasonable?

Our best hope is to sell Felipe on Cincy and get a hometown discount, Boras will be seeing $$ from a big market club :help:

tripleaaaron
04-09-2006, 03:01 AM
I couldn't agree with that more, but we are going to have to shore up our pitching so we can sell him a winner, and signing Barry Larkin to some sort of position, (anyone know what his status his and where he stands as far as a contract?) would also help with that tremendously.