PDA

View Full Version : Denofria to AAA

edabbs44
04-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Reds optioned outfielder Chris Denorfia to Triple-A Louisville.
The move opens up a roster spot for Brandon Phillips. Denorfia went 2-for-2 with a double while appearing in three games off the bench

Falls City Beer
04-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Let the Christian Guzman Wilson Phillips fetish commence!

captainmorgan07
04-08-2006, 07:14 PM
freel now becomes the 4th outfielder prolly spelling dunn griff and kearns when they need a break but i hope he still is the starting second baseman

Reds1
04-08-2006, 07:20 PM
there was a poll on who would be the last person to get out. Well, we should have put Denorfia in the mix. He may be batting 1,000 for a long time. This is not a surprise. Bye bye ABAD when LaRue comes back.

IslandRed
04-08-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm actually OK with that, for now. Better to play every day in Louisville than sit around and get two at-bats a week.

Topcat
04-08-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm actually OK with that, for now. Better to play every day in Louisville than sit around and get two at-bats a week.

Have to agree with that, why even take the chance of stunting Denofrio's progress rotting on the Red's bench.

harangatang
04-08-2006, 07:26 PM
I agree, if the Reds don't want him as a starting outfielder everyday at least let him play every day in AAA until they need him (injury or trade).

Falls City Beer
04-08-2006, 07:41 PM
So Phillips gets to rot on the bench? I don't have any problem with that, necessarily, but all you're doing is swapping one young hitter in need of atbats for another.

GridironGrace
04-08-2006, 07:42 PM
AH..axious to see next weeks Lineups

IslandRed
04-08-2006, 07:53 PM
So Phillips gets to rot on the bench? I don't have any problem with that, necessarily, but all you're doing is swapping one young hitter in need of atbats for another.

If Krivsky does us the favor of removing Womack from the equation, then it falls into place pretty neatly -- Freel can start most of the games at second, Aurilia is primary sub on the corners, Phillips backs up both middle infield spots.

But mostly, it comes down to the fact that Denorfia can be sent down without going through waivers and Phillips can't. Of course, if my preferred scenario comes to pass and Freel plays mostly second, Denorfia could be the fourth outfielder instead of the fifth... oh well. I suspect we're going to see a whole bunch more roster churn this year. Of the guys on the 40-man roster, there are fewer than ten, I guess, where I would be surprised if they weren't part of the team by next spring.

pedro
04-08-2006, 08:04 PM

Phillips is out of options. That's why Cleveland had to DFA him.

reds44
04-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Difference is Phillips is out of options, while Deno isn't.

Krusty
04-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Denofria needs to play everyday. But if one of the starting outfielders goes on the DL, we have a pretty good idea who to recall.

Falls City Beer
04-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Difference is Phillips is out of options, while Deno isn't.

Look, I understand that.

But that's not my point. I'd like the Reds decision making process to be based more on "what's good for the MLB squad" and "what's good for the player?" rather than "how can I shoe-horn X player into the lineup" and "who's got options left?"

To my way of thinking, the Reds best PH is gone, and another horrible offensive MI has taken his place, all to satisfy the "tinkering" bug of Wayne Krivsky.

It's not earth-shattering one way or another, but, IMO, it weakens the MLB squad, unless they plan to dump Womack and let Phillips get a decent amount of defensive time at 2nd.

reds44
04-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Look, I understand that.

But that's not my point. I'd like the Reds decision making process to be based more on "what's good for the MLB squad" and "what's good for the player?" rather than "how can I shoe-horn X player into the lineup" and "who's got options left?"

To my way of thinking, the Reds best PH is gone, and another horrible offensive MI has taken his place, all to satisfy the "tinkering" bug of Wayne Krivsky.
Clearly offense isn't this teams problem.

pedro
04-08-2006, 08:47 PM
I like the Phillips pick up and think the team could use a MI who could pick it.

Falls City Beer
04-08-2006, 08:49 PM
the team could use a MI who could pick it.

I agree. But will he see enough time in the lineup to make a difference on that front?

pedro
04-08-2006, 09:06 PM
I agree. But will he see enough time in the lineup to make a difference on that front?

I don't know. But having him around gives the Reds a lot more options if they want to make a trade. Let's say they decide to trade Freel for pitching. Now there is an option to replace him not named Tony.

OnBaseMachine
04-08-2006, 10:12 PM
:bang:

Please tell the Reds aren't going to carry Phillips, Womack, Freel, and Aurilia on the same roster. For once, I would love to see the Reds hang onto the best 25 players instead of optioning them to Triple-A because they have an option remaining.

pedro
04-08-2006, 10:14 PM

Please tell the Reds aren't going to carry Phillips, Womack, Freek, and Aurilia on the same roster. For once, I would love to see the Reds hang onto the best 25 players instead of optioning them to Triple-A because they have an option remaining.

I don't think they are. I expect someone to be gone soon.

Aronchis
04-08-2006, 10:19 PM
The Reds need to decide what they want to do with the Griffey CF mess,Denorfia,Dunn in left,Kearns in right oh and Joey Votto may be sticking his head in the door next season as well.

DiamondRat
04-08-2006, 10:42 PM
I can smell a sunday special lineup tomorrow!

reds44
04-08-2006, 10:54 PM
I can smell a sunday special lineup tomorrow!
What are you thinking? As long as Andy Abad isn't starting.........

red-in-la
04-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah, you drop Abad when LaRue comes back and you have 4 MI infielders and three catchers......and Ryan Freel as the only backup OF.

At one point, a year or so ago, wasn't JR labeled as a 5 game a weeker......or even 4 games a week.....as I recall, somebody had suggested that to keep his legs under him (his legs fresh) he was only able to go 3 or so games in a row.

So, if JR sits....and Freel plays CF (oh my god bejesus!) then who comes in if somebody shows up ailing before gametime one lonely night? Just a question....

indyred
04-08-2006, 11:42 PM
How many options do you get on a player? Sorry if it's a dumb question..........

IslandRed
04-08-2006, 11:49 PM
How many options do you get on a player? Sorry if it's a dumb question..........

After a guy is first placed on a 40-man roster, he can be optioned to the minors in three different seasons. Options are per season, not per send-down; since Denorfia was already optioned to Louisville last month, for the rest of this year the Reds can pretty much call him up and send him back at will.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-08-2006, 11:57 PM
2007-2011 infield:

1B: Dunn
2B: Lopez
SS: Phillips
3B: Encarnacion

Let's move forward.

Neo
04-09-2006, 12:00 AM
With an outfield future of B.J. Szymanski, Jay Bruce, Austin Kearns? Well, of course after Griff retires.

indyred
04-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks IslandRed........never knew that..........I always though it was a certain #....

BuckeyeRedleg
04-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Don't forget our catcher, Miguel Perez.

And our closer, Paul Janish.:evil:

kaldaniels
04-09-2006, 12:28 AM
The Reds need to decide what they want to do with the Griffey CF mess,Denorfia,Dunn in left,Kearns in right oh and Joey Votto may be sticking his head in the door next season as well.

What do you mean by mess...It is Dunn,Jr,Kearns....no mess for the first time in years!!! I like Denorfia, but his day will come. To throw Denorfia and Votto in the mix and proclaim a mess is going a bit far. Just sayin'.

KronoRed
04-09-2006, 12:40 AM
Don't get this..how many MI do they think we need? :dunno:

harangatang
04-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Yeah, you drop Abad when LaRue comes back and you have 4 MI infielders and three catchers......and Ryan Freel as the only backup OF.
Tony Womack played in LF last year for the Yanks

KronoRed
04-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Womack is awful in the OF, makes Dunn look gold glove.

LoganBuck
04-09-2006, 12:51 AM
My Super Special Lineup

C Ross
1B Valentin
2B Womack
3B Aurilia
SS Phillips
LF Larue
C Freel
RF Abad
P Dave Williams

NatiRedGals
04-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Well Womack should play tommrow and i Know i aint going to get any rep points for this post because of what i just said hah Juss remember Womacks a good player hes proven himself so far just as much as freel has besides the stolen bases both have homerun power hidden somewhere and both can deliver a special blow to any game!

reds44
04-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Well Womack should play tommrow and i Know i aint going to get any rep points for this post because of what i just said hah Juss remember Womacks a good player hes proven himself so far just as much as freel has besides the stolen bases both have homerun power hidden somewhere and both can deliver a special blow to any game!
Please think before you type, and then read what you actually type.

If we are facing a lefty tomorrow he won't play, and if we are facing a righty he will play.

NatiRedGals
04-09-2006, 01:02 AM
LOL dude I know but still you cant go by the Stats every game! And Aurrlia and Freel have played the past like 2-3 games hes most likely going to give on of them a break

reds44
04-09-2006, 01:06 AM
LOL dude I know but still you cant go by the Stats every game! And Aurrlia and Freel have played the past like 2-3 games hes most likely going to give on of them a break
No, we have an off day on Monday.

We are facing a righty in Santos tomorrow, so Womack will be in the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised to see Junior get an off day, although I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

You could see:
Womack
Lopez
Griffey
Dunn
Enc
Hatteberg
Kearns
Valentin

or even

Womack
Freel
Lopez
Dunn
Enc
Hatteberg
Kearns
Valentin

My guess is that is in the 2nd one.

KronoRed
04-09-2006, 01:12 AM
If Womack and Freel play then Womack needs to be 8th.

reds44
04-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Yes, but thats not what Jerry thinks.

NatiRedGals
04-09-2006, 01:22 AM
No i dont think that because it would be awesome having freel that good of hitter down there you need an all around lineup!

reds44
04-09-2006, 01:24 AM
No i dont think that because it would be awesome having freel that good of hitter down there you need an all around lineup!
No it wouldn't.

MartyFan
04-09-2006, 01:44 AM
I don't think they are. I expect someone to be gone soon.

I agree...I fully expect Phillips to be our starting 2B or SS before the year is out...EE will be gone or at 3B and Lopez will be starting 2B, SS or gone...phillips has upside that may be discovered by joining a new team.

If we can get a quality arm or two for the the BP then let the parts move to be assembled...our BP ...well, you know.

OnBaseMachine
04-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Denorfia will be back up soon, hopefully. He'll go down there and mash and force his way back up.

If given the opportunity to start everyday with the Reds, how do you guys think he could do? I see him as a .285/.370/.475 type of hitter. If Griffey is traded or the Reds move Dunn back to 1B, then I would like to see Chris inserted as the CF.

MartyFan
04-09-2006, 01:50 AM

That is my thought exactly.

oneupper
04-09-2006, 06:10 AM
there was a poll on who would be the last person to get out. Well, we should have put Denorfia in the mix. He may be batting 1,000 for a long time. This is not a surprise. Bye bye ABAD when LaRue comes back.

Check that thread. I'm on record with Denorfia as a write-in vote! :D

GAC
04-09-2006, 06:29 AM
Don't get this..how many MI do they think we need? :dunno:

I think it was simply done based on who had options. They send Chris D down (because he does), while something may be brewing in the works, or they are looking at doing something.

Also - those other 4 are not simply MI's. They all are experienced playing multiple positions. Can that be said of Denofria?

I have no problem at all with seeing Womack and/or Aurilia gone. But I'd like us to at least maybe get something back in return - not just dump or lose them.

I have no problem with this move one bit.

4256 Hits
04-09-2006, 11:40 AM
With an outfield future of B.J. Szymanski, Jay Bruce, Austin Kearns? Well, of course after Griff retires.

What make you think B.J. will ever be a starter in MLB? I see a 23 year old playing in low A that have never had much success or been able to stay healthy.

Team Clark
04-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I agree, if the Reds don't want him as a starting outfielder everyday at least let him play every day in AAA until they need him (injury or trade).

He needs the AB's. He will be starting in someone's OF by next season.

Matt700wlw
04-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Clearly offense isn't this teams problem.

But thankfully they have infield depth.... :D

Matt700wlw
04-09-2006, 01:07 PM

Please tell the Reds aren't going to carry Phillips, Womack, Freel, and Aurilia on the same roster. For once, I would love to see the Reds hang onto the best 25 players instead of optioning them to Triple-A because they have an option remaining.

Doesn't work that way now

KronoRed
04-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Can that be said of Denofria?

Deno was the only late inning D replacement for the outfield, Freel can run around out there but his arm is bad, Deno gave the team better defensive options.

Also, I can't see how Abad was going to be claimed by anyone.

I'm sure Narron will tell us Womack can play out there (he can and he's BAD defensively)