PDA

View Full Version : We Are Marshall

RedsBaron
04-09-2006, 09:30 AM
On November 14, 1970, the airplane transporting the football team of Marshall University back to Huntington, WV following a game at East Carolina crashed, killing all 75 people aboard. The Marshall players and coaches, the flight crew, and many prominent members of the Huntington community all perished.
The following year, Marshall fielded another football team, primarily made up of freshmen and the previous season's freshman squad. In their first home game of the season, Marshall scored a touchdown on the final play of the game to defeat Xavier, 15-13.
Filming is presently ongoing in Huntington upon the film "We Are Marshall," telling the story of the crash and its aftermath, climaxing in the dramatic victory over Xavier. Matthew McConaughey will portray Jack Lengyel, who coached The Young Thundering Herd in that first season following the crash. Matthew Fox will play Red Dawson, an assistant coach on both the 1970 and 1971 teams (he missed the flight on 11/14/70). David Strathairn will play the MU president.
The filming of this movie has been quite the event here. 8 days ago I was in a meeting with my partners when one of their wives phoned to excitedly tell him that she had commented to another patron of "Starbucks" that he had a nice dog, as he was leaving the coffee shop. Only after the patron had left did she realize she had been talking to McConaughey.
One of our legal assistants has vowed that she is skipping work this Tuesday so that she can be in a crowd scene filmed in Huntington for the film. She's crazy about McConaughey. When told that McConaughey reportedly has a relationship with Penelope Cruz, she dismissed Cruz as the "flavor of the month," causing someone else to note that while that might be true, our legal assistant would gladly be "chocolate" for McConaughey.
Jack Lengyel himself had a good line. He noted that McConaughey had been voted the "sexiest man alive" and said that the makeup crew would therefore really have its work cut out for itself making McConaughey look like Lengyel.
Filming has been taking place for the last ten days or so around Marshall and Huntington. The film is scheduled for release later this year.

reds1869
04-09-2006, 09:36 AM
I am thrilled about this movie; I hope it does the story justice. Have you been cast as an extra? Lots of people in Huntington have been playing bit parts, including some of Marshall's basketball team (Mark Patton is the one I remember).

RFS62
04-09-2006, 10:10 AM
It's going to have to go a long way to top John Sayles' "Matewan" or "October Sky" for quality and authenticity.

RedsBaron, you should get in there as an extra!!

I'll never forget that terrible night when the plane went down.

RedsBaron
04-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Have you been cast as an extra? Lots of people in Huntington have been playing bit parts, including some of Marshall's basketball team (Mark Patton is the one I remember).
I haven't tried out for any parts in the film. A 50 year old guy probably doesn't make a convincing student.;)
You're right about Patton. He will play a basketball player whom Lengyel persuades to go out for the football team in 1971.

Sweetstop
04-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I would agree with your legal assistant, RB, MM is a beautiful boy. However, as a 50-something lady, I find the incredible David Straithairn much more appealing.

The movie sounds very interesting. Too bad we won't be seeing you in it, though. :)

remdog
04-09-2006, 11:15 PM
I remember that crash quite well. Marshall had been a MAC member while I was at Bowling Green so there were ties to the team/school because of that.

Additionally, in the early 60's, the plane carrying the Cal Poly SLO football team back to California after a loss to BG crashed trying to take off from Toledo Airport. The Marshall tragedy brough back memories of that for a lot of BG people.

Rem

BoomerSoonerRed
04-10-2006, 03:25 AM
I remember that crash quite well. Marshall had been a MAC member while I was at Bowling Green so there were ties to the team/school because of that.

Additionally, in the early 60's, the plane carrying the Cal Poly SLO football team back to California after a loss to BG crashed trying to take off from Toledo Airport. The Marshall tragedy brough back memories of that for a lot of BG people.

Rem
If I remember correctly, around that same time, Wichita State's football team was involved in a plane crash that also claimed some lives. And didn't the Evansville basketball team suffer a similar fate back in the '70s? Also a few years ago, a bus carrying the Notre Dame swim team skidded on an icy road, killing some members and injuring a few others.
I think the Marshall movie will be very good, but I can't stomach Matthew McConaughey. He's right up there with Tom Cruise and Ben Affleck in the category of actors I'll never pay to see in a motion picture.

cincy09
04-10-2006, 02:08 PM
As an alumnist of Marshall I am very proud to hear that my alma mater is going to receive so much recognition in the coming months, however this is a little ridiculous don't you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MATTHEW-McCONAUGHEY-halfdrank-Heineken-beer-w-COA-pic_W0QQitemZ7608204524QQcategoryZ197QQssPageNameZ

WVRed
09-08-2006, 06:58 PM
The trailer is out.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1809267427&cf=info

I'm going opening night.

RedsBaron
09-08-2006, 08:55 PM
The trailer is out.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1809267427&cf=info

I'm going opening night.

I watched the trailer earlier today. My wife e-mailed it to me, saying it made her cry.
I'm trying to imagine seeing this film, in Huntington, when it comes out 12/22/06. I expect that I will cry, and I cannot imagine what those who were at Marshall 35+ years ago will feel. I wonder how many of those who lost family or friends in that tragedy will be able to watch it.

RANDY IN INDY
09-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Watched the trailer, yesterday morning with my wife, and it brought tears to both of our eyes. I was nine years old, laying in the floor in front of the TV, playing with my miniature NFL football helmets when the news came over the TV of the plane going down. I remember looking at my Mother and Father who were also watching. I remember the look of horror on their faces, and my dad bowing his head and saying a prayer. It was a nasty, rainy night. I remember the Memorial Service at Veterans Memorial Fieldhouse.

I can also remember attending the Memorial Services on Campus each November 14th at the Memorial Fountain as a student in the late 70's and early 80's. It is like nothing else you can ever experience. A whole community in mourning. The tears come every year. Sometimes just walking by the team picture in the student center would make you stop, remember again, and say another prayer.

This movie will be very moving for the people of the area, and those who have connections to the area or the school. I hope the nation can only begin to understand the impact that it has had on so many lives, and to see Marshall now playing the likes of Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina, Clemson, West Virginia and Virginia Tech in recent seasons really makes us, who suffered through the mysery of the plane crash and the seasons that followed, beem with pride.

I really want to go back to Huntington to see the movie. I would love to be able to get tickets for the opening. It will be a special.

We Are......Marshall.

reds1869
09-09-2006, 04:07 PM
They are showing the trailer on the scoreboard at the Herd game today; should be a moving experience in a stadium full of Marshall fans. I am really looking forward to this movie.

creek14
09-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Sure will be a hard movie to watch.

I was telling some of the young pups at work about the crash just last week. They knew nothing of it.

Of course today they were surprised to find out Ronald Reagan was once Gov of CA.

vaticanplum
09-09-2006, 07:23 PM
I had a dream that the Reds' plane crashed on their way back from California last week. I was scared to talk about it, but I can say so now since it's past...can you imagine an entire sports team being wiped out? This Marshall thing was before my time...awful.

In 1961, the plane carrying the US Figure Skating Team crashed on its way to the World Championships in Switzerland (the competition was ultimately cancelled). The best in the country compete at Worlds, so it wiped out not only all the country's best skaters, but pretty much all the top-level coaches as well. That's one reason Peggy Fleming was able to emerge and why she was such a "savior" to the sport in 1968...it was very surprising that the US was able to rebound with a champion in seven years. In all the other disciplines (men's, pairs' and dance) it took a few more years.

Sean_CaseyRules
09-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I have heard a lot about the plane crash, because most of my family on my dads side are from WV, and I can't wait to see this movie, I think it will be really good.

RedsBaron
09-10-2006, 09:09 AM
They are showing the trailer on the scoreboard at the Herd game today; should be a moving experience in a stadium full of Marshall fans. I am really looking forward to this movie.

I had planned to go to the game, but then my sons bailed out on me, with my 15 year old off on his dirt bike with friends and my 13 year old off with his football teammates at a party. I changed my mind at the last minute and went to the game by myself (Marshall won, 54-31).
At halftime, McG, the director of "We Are Marshall" came onto the field. He introduced the trailer, which was then shown on the scoreboard. I tear up just watching the trailer on my computer. When the scene in the trailer depicting Marshall students yelling "We are.....Marshall" came on the scoreboard, while I was sitting in a football stadium full of Marshall fans, some of whom had lived through the aftermath of the 1970 crash---I had tears, goosebumps....kinda like an electric charge went down my spine.
McG then lead the crowd in repeated cheers of "We are....Marshall! We are....Marshall!"

reds1869
09-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Manchester United's plane crashed upon takeoff after a European game in Munich in the late 50s. Oklahoma State had a basketball plane crash a few years ago. There have also been several fatal accidents involving small colleges here in Ohio. The list could go on for a long time. It really is shocking when you start listing of sports related accidents, though I can't think of another on the massive scale of the Marshall plane crash.

vaticanplum
09-10-2006, 01:23 PM
It really is shocking when you start listing of sports related accidents, though I can't think of another on the massive scale of the Marshall plane crash.

I think that figure skating crash I mentioned would definitely qualify. 73 people died, but figure skating is a much smaller sport so the effect was huge. Given that it was all the best skaters in the country plus their coaches, it was less like wiping out a sports team than it was like wiping out, say, all the players on the way to the All-Star game, along with all the All-Star managers as well.

gilpdawg
09-14-2006, 11:54 PM
If I remember correctly, around that same time, Wichita State's football team was involved in a plane crash that also claimed some lives. And didn't the Evansville basketball team suffer a similar fate back in the '70s? Also a few years ago, a bus carrying the Notre Dame swim team skidded on an icy road, killing some members and injuring a few others.
I think the Marshall movie will be very good, but I can't stomach Matthew McConaughey. He's right up there with Tom Cruise and Ben Affleck in the category of actors I'll never pay to see in a motion picture.
Evansville was 12/13/77. 29 people died in that crash. They've got a display at Roberts Stadium, which I looked at when I was there for a Kiss show about 9 or 10 years ago, even though it happened before I was born, I had heard of it.

redsmetz
11-14-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm surprised no one posted this. There was a nice article in this morning's Enquirer regarding the new movie coming out about the Marshall University football team the season after most of the players, coaching staff and team boosters were killed in a crash at the Hunington, WV airport.

Several players and staff were from Cincinnati, including three from Moeller High School (one was from my parish in Deer Park, Mark Andrews from Silverton). It should be an interesting movie. The other two players most likely were from two other nearby parishes because one was from Deer Park and the other from Amberley Village.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061114/NEWS01/611140399

The movie is ostensibly about Marshall's first home win versus Xavier University in the waning days of their program.

RedsBaron
11-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Giving this thread a bump, since another poster expressed surprise today that no one had mentioned the upcoming film.

redsmetz
11-14-2006, 04:01 PM
We started our threads about the same time. Here's my thoughts and the link to the Enquirer's story:

I'm surprised no one posted this. There was a nice article in this morning's Enquirer regarding the new movie coming out about the Marshall University football team the season after most of the players, coaching staff and team boosters were killed in a crash at the Hunington, WV airport.

Several players and staff were from Cincinnati, including three from Moeller High School (one was from my parish in Deer Park, Mark Andrews from Silverton). It should be an interesting movie. The other two players most likely were from two other nearby parishes because one was from Deer Park and the other from Amberley Village.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/611140399

The movie is ostensibly about Marshall's first home win versus Xavier University in the waning days of their program.

I called my oldest brother to ask if he saw the Enquirer story but he hadn't. He was good friends with Mark Andrews' sister and I remember the crash well too. I was a sophomore at Moeller when it happened. I just watched the trailer and it choked me up watching it. Frankly, I thought Matthew McG. looked good in the few clips in the trailer.

I saw some of the Marshall football team at a movie theater back in 2001 when my oldest daughter was looking at BGSU. I mentioned that my family knew one of the players from that team and they knew all about it.

redsmetz
11-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Giving this thread a bump, since another poster expressed surprise today that no one had mentioned the upcoming film.

Ah, now I understand. Nice thread from you all and thanks to TPTB for closing mine and mentioning it had moved.

RANDY IN INDY
11-14-2006, 09:53 PM
I got to read the script. It is going to be a very good movie.

GAC
11-14-2006, 09:59 PM
I haven't tried out for any parts in the film. A 50 year old guy probably doesn't make a convincing student.;)

22 years of college down the drain! :lol:

I find it hard to believe it has been 36 years since that horrendous tragedy.

RedsBaron
12-15-2006, 08:19 AM
There is a good two page article on the film in this week's "Sports Illustrated."
There was a gala premiere of "We Are Marshall" in Huntington last Tuesday night, with all the film's stars in attendance. Last night, my wife and two older sons saw the film and loved it. I am very anxious to see it.

RANDY IN INDY
12-15-2006, 09:14 AM
My family is going to see the film on Saturday evening here in Charlotte. Got tickets yesterday for the advanced showing. I'm really looking forward to seeing it and know it will be quite emotional for my wife and I. Matt, my son, is also quite anxious to see the film as he is a huge Marshall fan.

redsfanmia
12-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Evansville was 12/13/77. 29 people died in that crash. They've got a display at Roberts Stadium, which I looked at when I was there for a Kiss show about 9 or 10 years ago, even though it happened before I was born, I had heard of it.

My old high school basketball coach's son was on that team and died in the crash, there was a memorial to him at our high school.

2001MUgrad
12-16-2006, 06:29 PM
My family is going to see the film on Saturday evening here in Charlotte. Got tickets yesterday for the advanced showing. I'm really looking forward to seeing it and know it will be quite emotional for my wife and I. Matt, my son, is also quite anxious to see the film as he is a huge Marshall fan.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I saw it last Thursday.

beb30
12-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Saw the sneak preview tonight in West Chester. Great movie, very emotional. Matthew M. (cant spell his last name) was excellent.

RANDY IN INDY
12-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Very emotional, indeed. I saw the film last night. The attention to detail for the era was top notch and they did a great job with the story. The actors did a wonderful job with the characters, particularly Anthony Mackie, who played Nate Ruffin, and Matthew Fox, who played Red Dawson. It was great to see "Home" on the big screen and the fact that the movie was done so well.

In the late fall of 1971, Jack Lengyel, Nate Ruffin, and Reggie Oliver attended our little league football banquet. It was a thrill for a 10 year old to get rub elbows with the stars of "The Young Thundering Herd." They all gave us autographs, shook our hands and moved around and talked with us throughout the evening. You could tell that they were happy to be there with us and enjoyed it nearly as much as we did.

I have to tell you that I shed a few tears in that movie theatre last night. It took me back to that time in my life, the emotions that were felt, and it was quite eerie. If you get the chance, go see the film. I realize it will not be the same for most people as it is for those who directly experienced the story. It is still a very good movie and I think most will enjoy it.

WVRed
12-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Well, I didnt go opening night, but I just got back from seeing it.

I may be biased since I grew up around Huntington, but this is IMO one of the best sports movies of all time. I would probably say that as well if this was filmed in California or another state. I know people are going wild over Matthew McConaughey, but Matthew Fox should be up for an Academy Award for the role of Red Dawson.

I didnt have the highest of expectations going in, considering it came out ranked 7th in the box office and WSAZ(NBC affiliate out of Huntington) has been promoting the movie non-stop.

On a side note, I did like the casting of a young Keith Morehouse. Even though WSAZ has beaten the movie to death, it was nice to see them showing Keith the way they did.

I wasnt born when the plane crash happened, but this movie really hits home if you live around the Tri-State area, regardless of age.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I also just got back from seeing this GREAT film! It was very emotional throughout the movie, and I also agree with WVRed, it is one of the best sports movies.

StillFunkyB
12-26-2006, 11:38 PM
We saw this as our "family movie" that we try to do around Christmas every year. I knew about the story before the movie, but not any of the details.

The part with Bobby Bowden, and when Lengyel and Dawson were watching the film and the two players walked in on them, etc. That part choked me up a little. I was thinking in my head the very same line that Matthew Mc said. "First Class".

This is one of those few MUST see movies.

RedsBaron
01-04-2007, 07:50 AM
I finally saw "We Are Marshall" last night. I was supposed to go with my family a few weeks ago, but I was sick. Last night I took my mom to see it.
Tears welled up in my eyes several times. Well done. Matthew Fox is particularly excellent in his performance as Red Dawson (the real Red Dawson played a Morehead coach in the film).:thumbup:

SanDiegoRed
01-04-2007, 08:42 AM
This is a great movie!

Unassisted
07-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I just got around to seeing this on DVD. The extras on the DVD include a promotional video for Marshall University and a promotional trailer for tourism in West Virginia that features 3 the principal actors in the film. They make nice bookends for the film.

RANDY IN INDY
07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Wonderful film!