PDA

View Full Version : Music

SeeinRed
04-09-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm just kinda curious to see if there are people with similar musical intrests as me on this board. I've decided the best way to do that is to talk about Cds that you have just bought or that are coming out.

I'll start out with a question. What CD can you just not get enough of right now? For me, its got to be Hellogoodbye's EP. Its just downright infectious. But don't let that fool you. I also listen to a lot of Hardcore/Metal. I can never get enough ZAO or Norma Jean. As I talk right now, I'm listening to Between the Buried and Me's latest CD "Alaska."

As for other intrests in music, here are a few of my favorite bands, which I'm sure a lot of you don't know. I'll start with the ones in my CD collection, in no particular order: Blood Bothers, Circa Survive, Underoath, Emery, Mae, Fall of Troy, Zao, Demon Hunter, From Autumn to Ashes, Staple, From First to Last, Spitalfield, Vendetta Red, The Bled, Chiodos, Bedlight for Blue Eyes, Blindside, Hellogoodbye, The All-American Rejects, Staind (older stuff), Evans Blue, Hawthorne Heights, Say Anything, Sullivan, Fall Out Boy, The Chariot, He Is Legend, Darkest Hour, As I Lay Dying, The Fold, Thrice, Thursday, Thousand Foot Krutch, Falling Up, The Mars Volta, The Hurt Process, Audio Slave, Coheed and Cambria, Disturbed, Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Panic! at the Disco, Funeral for a Friend, Project 86, Finch, The Julianna Theory, MewithoutYou, My Chemical Romance, Pillar, Spoken, As Cities Burn, Haste the Day, She Wants Revenge, In Flames, The Used. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing some. I'm into a lot more Hardore/Metal than my collection would indicate.

I would also like to discuss CDs of any kind that you are waiting for. The ones that I can't wait for are being released this Spring/Summer. The Classic Crime's debut on Tooth and Nail records "Albotross," Jonezetta's debut on Tooth and Nail, Underoath's new CD which comes out in June, Dead Poetic's new CD, and ZAO's newest release.

Well theres my start to this tread, can't wait to see where it goes from here. Hopefully, we can have a great conversation on music.

The Baumer
04-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Out of the whole hardcore/emo genre, mewithoutyou is probably one of the better bands as far as originality and sustainability go. I used to listen to a lot of the bands you mentioned but I have branched out in the past 3-4 years towards older rock and more 'indie' oriented music. Right now my favorite artists are the National, Kind of Like Spitting, John Vanderslice, Baby Dayliner, Nada Surf, and Belle & Sebastian.

You might be interested in checking my website out, www.invisiblelimb.net.

Stewie
04-10-2006, 10:46 AM
This thread might also be of some help, too:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36598&highlight=listening

I think the last CDs I bought were the new one from Editors, and the live If You're Feeling Sinister album from Belle and Sebastian. I dig both. Recently, I've gone back into the archives and listened to a lot of my older stuff. A lot of Fugazi, Pavement, and My Bloody Valentine. For some reason, once the weather starts getting warmer, I hit Pavement pretty hard. They're more or less a major part of my Spring soundtrack every year.

LvJ
04-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Yay, more Belle & Sebastian fans.

Absolute love. Got to see them live a month ago, and it was great.

I listen to mainly indie, alternative, folk/country rock, ect.

I currently listen to the most: the dresden dolls, belle and sebastian, lucero, mates of state, ok go!, man man, tegan and sara, muse, tool, pink floyd, the flaming lips, etc. So many more.. really.

I got to see The Dresden Dolls, OK Go, Nine Black Alps, The Sun (from Columbus!), Rock Kills Kid, and Bril in Columbus on Saturday. Great show, everyone was fantastic besides Bril, who suck - hehe. I made the drive just for the Dolls though, and will again in July. Can't wait.

StillFunkyB
04-12-2006, 12:55 AM
FYI...

Demon Hunter, Thousand Foot Crutch, Blindside, Haste The Day, Pillar, Project 86 are all Christian bands. I'm not trying to turn this into a religious thread, nor do I even want to debate about it. Just giving some info.

Have you heard Flyleaf yet? Their debut is GREAT. The 4 songs on the EP were much better, because they toned down the lead singers (female) screaming for the actual album.

I like alot of those bands, not all. I really like Breaking Benjamin. Some would say they are too "pop", but I really like both albums so far.

guttle11
04-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Flaming Lips, Jack Johnson, 311, In Flames, Sublime, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews' early stuff. Most music sucks to me.

As far as newer popish stuff, I think the Linkin Park/Jay-Z mashup CD is pretty good.

I just don't see how anyone could like Fall Out Boy. To each his own and different strokes, I guess.

P.S.- first one to say James Blunt doesn't count.;)

Caseyfan21
04-12-2006, 01:21 AM
I'd say the stuff I'm listening to most right now is Dave Matthews Band (as always), Mike Doughty (a lot more, really like his first solo album), John Butler Trio (Austrailian band that doesn't get as much exposure in the US), Jack Johnson (another one that I've started listening to a ton more lately), OAR, and Guster.

LvJ
04-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Flaming Lips Have you heard "At War with Mystics"?

Soooo great.

SeeinRed
04-12-2006, 12:36 PM
FYI...

Demon Hunter, Thousand Foot Crutch, Blindside, Haste The Day, Pillar, Project 86 are all Christian bands. I'm not trying to turn this into a religious thread, nor do I even want to debate about it. Just giving some info.

Have you heard Flyleaf yet? Their debut is GREAT. The 4 songs on the EP were much better, because they toned down the lead singers (female) screaming for the actual album.

I like alot of those bands, not all. I really like Breaking Benjamin. Some would say they are too "pop", but I really like both albums so far.

A lot of the bands I listed were on Tooth and Nail or Solid State Records. You don't have to be a "christian band" to be on those labels, but there are quite a few. I was waiting on somebody to bring up Flyleaf. Definately different than what most people are used to. I like to listen to them every now and then, but I think that they will eventually lean too much on the fact that their lead singer is a woman that can scream, or turn away from the screaming to sell more CDs. Not saying they aren't or can't be good enough to sell a lot of CDs in the future, we'll see what happens.

I was looking over what I originally posted, and I forgot two of the CDs that are coming out this spring/summer that I am the most excited about. Taking Back Sunday relases their new CD Louder Now later this month, and Thursday realeases their new CD in May. Just some thoughts.

Also, if there are any Blink 182 fans out there, you might want to check out the band that Tom DeLonge started called Angels & Airwaves. They release a CD later this year, and their new song "The Adventure" is creating a lot of buzz. Not my cup of tea, but somebody might like it. Of course being a drummer, I always liked watching Travis Barker. Crazy stuff.

I saw somebody else likes In Flames, what do you think of "Come Clarity?" I like the changes from electronics just to mix things up. Don't get me wrong, I loved the older stuff, but I like to see bands try something different from time to time.

vaticanplum
04-12-2006, 04:09 PM
I really can't push this Kelley Stoltz guy any harder.

pedro
04-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Have you heard "At War with Mystics"?

Soooo great.

I'm pretty tepid on "At War with the Mystics"

It's ok. Not my favorite by far.

cinredsfan2000
04-12-2006, 08:36 PM
To many to list so i'll just post what i own on C.D. to give you a idea of what i listen to :D
http://rateyourmusic.com/user_albums/album_list_id_is_99731_and_list_type_is_owned

The Baumer
04-12-2006, 09:39 PM
According to critics At War with the Mystics is a step backwards for the band, but considering how highly regarded their last handful of albums have been, that isn't necessarily the biggest insult.

Today I recieved the new Saves the Day record in the mail. It is superior to In Reverie entertainment wise, and there are a handful of tracks which are among their best yet, but it is very uneven. It's basically a big re-birth for the band, from the Weezer/Beatles/pop niche of In Reverie into a more accessible and far more enjoyable 'pop punk' sound. I'd be very interested to hear what their next album would sound like if they continued to explore this direction and trimmed some of the unecessary fat.

pedro
04-12-2006, 09:55 PM
According to critics At War with the Mystics is a step backwards for the band, but considering how highly regarded their last handful of albums have been, that isn't necessarily the biggest insult.

Today I recieved the new Saves the Day record in the mail. It is superior to In Reverie entertainment wise, and there are a handful of tracks which are among their best yet, but it is very uneven. It's basically a big re-birth for the band, from the Weezer/Beatles/pop niche of In Reverie into a more accessible and far more enjoyable 'pop punk' sound. I'd be very interested to hear what their next album would sound like if they continued to explore this direction and trimmed some of the unecessary fat.

True about the lips it'll be all down hill The Soft Bulletin. That's just the way it is.

I'll ahve to check out saves the day.

Falls City Beer
04-12-2006, 10:01 PM
As far as newer popish stuff, )

Yeah, they've not been the same since the Gunpowder Plot and the reign of James II.

pedro
04-12-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm listening to the new Weezer (Make Believe). It's unmitigated candy. A guilty pleasure for sure.

But I like it.

StillFunkyB
04-13-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm listening to the new Weezer (Make Believe). It's unmitigated candy. A guilty pleasure for sure.

But I like it.

"You freak me out" gets stuck in your head and it won't go away. There are worse songs for sure.

The Baumer
04-14-2006, 07:09 PM
If you guys have a second and want to hear an artist that has really stolen my attention this year, check out Baby Dayliner. He's from New York and he is a great vocal talent, as well as a songwriter and producer. His one man stage show is something to marvel at and his recorded songs aren't too far behind.

http://www.myspace.com/babydayliner

I also just interviewed him for my website @ http://invisiblelimb.net/limb/2006/04/14/baby-dayliner/

TC81190
04-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Ugh, I absolutely despise that trash-metal. Sorry...my acquaintances won't stop going on about it while trying to shove it down my throat.

Anyways, it's funny, I've seen several bands in here who are featured in MLB 2k6. See: Fall of Troy; Belle & Sebastian

As far as my tastes, see my icon. Love Gorillaz. Brilliant concept. Demon Days is an excellent album, and if you really get into it, there's supposed to be a story behind it. Very different than the debut-sefl-titled, which is also a fantastic album.

letsgojunior
04-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Counting Crows, U2, Pearl Jam, Audioslave, Lifehouse, John Mayer, Nirvana, Tom Petty, Maroon 5, Howie Day, Soundgarden, The Killers, Dave Matthews, Flaming Lips, Weezer

guttle11
04-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Have you heard "At War with Mystics"?

Soooo great.

Indeed. Very good album.

If people haven't heard any of Uncle Tupelo, they're missing out. Just sayin.

Benny-Distefano
04-15-2006, 12:24 AM
John Lee Hooker.

pedro
04-15-2006, 12:34 AM
New Built to Spill is very enjoyable. if you're into that sort of stuff.

i am.

SeeinRed
04-25-2006, 07:13 PM
For anyone interested, I just picked up the new Taking Back Sunday album Louder Now. Wow, these guys continue to impress me. I have listened to the album a couple times clear through now. It doesn't sound anything significantly different from their other stuff, but they have definately put out another solid album. Don't know if their are any other TBS fans out there, but I would love to hear what other people think of the album.

SeeinRed
05-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Tuesday May 23... The day that The Classic Crime releases their Debut on Tooth and Nail Records, Albatross. I love this band. For anyone interested, here is their album site. (http://www.releasethealbatross.com.) If you haven't heard them, I would highly suggest them. The album site has about 5 songs. I really like The Coldest Heart and Who Needs Air. They continue to amaze me. If there was one band I would say was poised to break out, they could be it. If anyone has thoughts on them, please share them, good or bad.

Freddie_Free
05-17-2006, 05:00 PM
If people haven't heard any of Uncle Tupelo, they're missing out. Just sayin.

I'd say the same about Wilco. Basically, Jeff Tweedy is the man.

BuckU
05-17-2006, 05:13 PM
For anyone interested, I just picked up the new Taking Back Sunday album Louder Now. Wow, these guys continue to impress me. I have listened to the album a couple times clear through now. It doesn't sound anything significantly different from their other stuff, but they have definately put out another solid album. Don't know if their are any other TBS fans out there, but I would love to hear what other people think of the album.

If you like Taking Back Sunday, check out their tour mates Angels And Airwaves. The group is comprised of Tom Delonge of Blink-182 fame and the other guys in the band are from various other bands. Good friggin' music. It's much more an adult sound rather then the Blink sound. If I had to pin point it I would say they sound like a 2006 version of The Cure, if that's anybody bag. Their album comes out next Tuesday.

Check out some of their stuff http://www.myspace.com/angelsandairwaves

SeeinRed
05-17-2006, 05:25 PM
If you like Taking Back Sunday, check out their tour mates Angels And Airwaves. The group is comprised of Tom Delonge of Blink-182 fame and the other guys in the band are from various other bands. Good friggin' music. It's much more an adult sound rather then the Blink sound. If I had to pin point it I would say they sound like a 2006 version of The Cure, if that's anybody bag. Their album comes out next Tuesday.

Check out some of their stuff http://www.myspace.com/angelsandairwaves

I really like their stuff. You nailed my exact thought on them being more of a grown up sound than Blink 182, but they still kinda sound like Blink. Lyrics in Angels and Airwaves' music are just so much better than Blink's stuff IMO. I like Blink, but Angels and Airwaves music just has a lot more depth, if that makes any sense.

BuckU
05-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I really like their stuff. You nailed my exact thought on them being more of a grown up sound than Blink 182, but they still kinda sound like Blink. Lyrics in Angels and Airwaves' music are just so much better than Blink's stuff IMO. I like Blink, but Angels and Airwaves music just has a lot more depth, if that makes any sense.

Without a doubt, a lot more substance. I think it's great music :thumbup:

pedro
05-17-2006, 06:00 PM
"Penthouse" by Luna rocks.

cinredsfan2000
05-18-2006, 09:14 PM
I'd say the same about Wilco. Basically, Jeff Tweedy is the man.

Id say your right for the most part about that statement about tweedy but personally i really think tweedy could use a guy like JAY FARRAR his co song writer in uncle tupelo. Im a big wilco fan but personally i think tweedy and crew have steadly gone down hill after BEING THERE. or basically after they started to really drift away from the ALT. country sound. I mean c'mon have you heard SUMMERTEATH thats a cure for insomnia.Cant say much for Farrar's project SON VOLT as ive only heard there debut which owed a whole lot to neil young harvest era.

The Baumer
05-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Tuesday May 23... The day that The Classic Crime releases their Debut on Tooth and Nail Records, Albatross. I love this band. For anyone interested, here is their album site. (http://www.releasethealbatross.com.) If you haven't heard them, I would highly suggest them. The album site has about 5 songs. I really like The Coldest Heart and Who Needs Air. They continue to amaze me. If there was one band I would say was poised to break out, they could be it. If anyone has thoughts on them, please share them, good or bad.

The only band on Tooth and Nail right now that interests me is Mewithoutyou. IMO Tooth and Nail is part of a huge myriad of labels that are supporting, producing, and encouraging really bad emo music which, alongside bad ska and bad nu-metal, is some of the worst rock oriented music in existence. There are too many kid bands getting deals and putting out sub-par, generic albums.

Although I started out in the emo/punk genre, I've been getting my music fix from more indie and pop artists the past handful of years. Stuff like Belle & Sebastian, John Vanderslice, Nada Surf, Kind of Like Spitting, Baby Dayliner, The National etc. etc. There is more diversity and experimentation in the independent rock world.

Caveat Emperor
05-19-2006, 04:38 AM
My music tastes swing wildly depending on what mood I'm in. I've been on a real "Dave Matthews Band" kick lately -- I still think Before These Crowded Streets would be my one "stuck on an island" CD.

Old favorites: Oasis, Jurassic 5, Dropkick Murphys, Counting Crows, Dispatch, Ben Folds Five, Flogging Molly, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Outkast, Audioslave, O.A.R., Carbon Leaf, and the immortal Wu-Tang Clan.

Eclectic -- but I've never been one to limit myself to one particular genre of music. It's how you end up with an iPod that can go from Miles Davis to Method Man on shuffle. :thumbup:

WebScorpion
05-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Ok, I'll just chime in here...like Cav Em, my tastes are very eclectic. Zeppelin, Dave Brubeck, Queen Latifah, Van Morrison, The Smithereens, Stevie Wonder, Hellogoodbye, India Arie, Diana Krall, and of course Elvis (the one with the glasses). The only 2 bands I'd currently recommend that haven't beeen mentioned are Gnarls Barkley and Bottlefly. Gnarls is a collaboration between Cee-Lo Green's lyrics and DJ Danger Mouse's production ... Danger Mouse did the Gorillaz album. Bottlefly is a happy, if slightly thin, sound...they could use a little better production, but listen to the song Umbrella a couple times and I'll guarantee you'll be singing it later in the day.
Enjoy!:thumbup:

westofyou
05-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Id say your right for the most part about that statement about tweedy but personally i really think tweedy could use a guy like JAY FARRAR his co song writer in uncle tupelo. Im a big wilco fan but personally i think tweedy and crew have steadly gone down hill after BEING THERE. or basically after they started to really drift away from the ALT. country sound. I mean c'mon have you heard SUMMERTEATH thats a cure for insomnia.Cant say much for Farrar's project SON VOLT as ive only heard there debut which owed a whole lot to neil young harvest era.
I love all of Wilco and I'm a big Tupelo fan too, but no... please keep them apart. Jay is a bore, pretentious and affected, plus he treated Tweedy like crap and deserves what he gets now. But he can sing some good stuff now and then.

Tweedy is the Neil Young of our generation, but I can see where you might not like the stuff since Being There.

Me? I love it to death, my wife ....not so much.

Falls City Beer
05-20-2006, 01:15 AM
You wanna know the album that I realize every five years or so is the most underrated album ever?

"New Values" Iggy Pop

Pop, delicious pop.

VI_RedsFan
05-20-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm a big fan of singer/songwriters. My favorites are John Mayer, Jason Mraz, James Blunt, Jack Johnson, Teddy Geiger, Howie Day, Gavin DeGraw, and Rob Thomas.

I also like some bands too. I love listening to Coldplay, Maroon 5, U2, Hoobastank, etc.

And when I get bored of listening to rock, I'll could listen to Bob Marley all day long.

Doc. Scott
05-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Out of the whole hardcore/emo genre, mewithoutyou is probably one of the better bands as far as originality and sustainability go. I used to listen to a lot of the bands you mentioned but I have branched out in the past 3-4 years towards older rock and more 'indie' oriented music. Right now my favorite artists are the National, Kind of Like Spitting, John Vanderslice, Baby Dayliner, Nada Surf, and Belle & Sebastian.

You might be interested in checking my website out, www.invisiblelimb.net.

Heckuva list, there. I assume you like Barsuk Records stuff pretty well?

The National's last record was my favorite of 2005. Mix Joy Division and older U2 with some Afghan Whigs subject matter.

SeeinRed
05-21-2006, 11:04 PM
The only band on Tooth and Nail right now that interests me is Mewithoutyou. IMO Tooth and Nail is part of a huge myriad of labels that are supporting, producing, and encouraging really bad emo music which, alongside bad ska and bad nu-metal, is some of the worst rock oriented music in existence. There are too many kid bands getting deals and putting out sub-par, generic albums.

Although I started out in the emo/punk genre, I've been getting my music fix from more indie and pop artists the past handful of years. Stuff like Belle & Sebastian, John Vanderslice, Nada Surf, Kind of Like Spitting, Baby Dayliner, The National etc. etc. There is more diversity and experimentation in the independent rock world.

For the most part, I agree that most artist on Tooth and Nail are generic. But there are a few artists who are original, and put out solid albums. Underoath is probably the one that pops into my mind first. But the Classic Crime is anything but generic. Also, Emery, Project 86, Showbread, and Mae all have their own sound that, even though might be influence by other bands, is completely their own and continue to put out good albums. To condemn all bands on a lable because of the others is crazy. You can't look at them as a whole. They are seperate bands with different music. Generic music has and will always be around. Thats just a fact of life, and why not, people will listen to it. Not us, but someone does, otherwise it wouldn't be so prominent. Kinda funny though... many of those ska bands send non-conformist messages, but conform to a genre of music.

But, I'd have to agree that Independent Artists put out better albums, but they have to if they want to have any success. I like some Indie, but for the most part, its not my cup of tea.

RosieRed
05-22-2006, 04:57 AM
I've been listening to a lot of Keating (http://www.purevolume.com/keating) and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. (http://www.redjumpsuit.com) I think both could become big. Though the latter may be in for a TRL-kind-of-big.

Also listening to a ton of Alkaline Trio (http://www.alkalinetrio.com), who I saw in concert a few weeks ago. They were AMAZING.

Others ... Panic! At the Disco (I can't help it!), Circa Survive, Dredg, Muse, Hawthorne Heights, The Audition, Motion City Soundtrack, Aiden, Matchbook Romance, Emberghost, Alexisonfire, and of course 30 Seconds to Mars.

Two bands I've seen live recently that put on great shows: Hellogoodbye, and Men Women & Children. Neither are exactly the kind of music I gravitate toward, but both were hilarious live. In a good way.

xerplastic
05-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Agreed on The National being a great band. One of the cool things about them is that most or all of the band was born and raised in Cincinnati.