PDA

View Full Version : Zach Ward's Dragons debut

TOBTTReds
04-09-2006, 11:05 PM
He pitched well going 6 ip, 2 hits, 0 r, 3 bb, 3 k.

He was wild a bit today, but got a few double plays and worked out of jams. He's one of my favorites. Hope he continues to do well.

The Dragons lost 7-0 after going into the 9th 0-0.

Nothing positive from our offensive prospects.

Paul Janish 1-4
Jay Bruce 0-4
BJ Szymanski 1-4

WebScorpion
04-10-2006, 01:10 PM
He pitched well going 6 ip, 2 hits, 0 r, 3 bb, 3 k.

He was wild a bit today, but got a few double plays and worked out of jams. He's one of my favorites. Hope he continues to do well.

Nothing positive from our offensive prospects.

Paul Janish 1-4
Jay Bruce 0-4
BJ Szymanski 1-4

That's pretty good news considering that is his PROFESSIONAL debut as well as his Dragon's debut. I was worried that he'd be way overmatched going straight to A-ball, but it sounds like he was definitely competitive. Thanks for the good news!

vaticanplum
04-10-2006, 01:15 PM

Oh good, bullpen help is on its way!!

KittyDuran
04-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Oh good, bullpen help is on its way!!Wasn't so much the bullpen as it was two costly errors... :(

Chip R
04-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Wasn't so much the bullpen as it was two costly errors... :(

That's so cute the A ballers performing like the big club.

Joseph
04-10-2006, 01:53 PM

They see what it takes to make it to the show and they try to emulate it.

Sounds like Ward preformed well though.

CTA513
04-10-2006, 02:13 PM

:laugh:

BRM
04-10-2006, 02:15 PM
They see what it takes to make it to the show and they try to emulate it.

Wait until they are 35 and out of options?

OSURedLeg
04-10-2006, 02:16 PM
It's also important to note that Ward's out ratio was 12 - 2 Ground Outs to Fly Outs. I like seeing that they weren't making hard contact against him, it sounds like he does a nice job working low in the zone while having good downward motion on his pitches.

PuffyPig
04-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Wasn't so much the bullpen as it was two costly errors... :(
Gee, 7 runs on 2 errors. There must have been a walk or hit somewhere in there, I bet.

CTA513
04-10-2006, 02:29 PM
It's also important to note that Ward's out ratio was 12 - 2 Ground Outs to Fly Outs. I like seeing that they weren't making hard contact against him, it sounds like he does a nice job working low in the zone while having good downward motion on his pitches.

12 grounds outs to 2 fly outs.... hes not making the Reds roster. ;)

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Wait until they are 35 and out of options?
Better make it 40, true veterans.

Oh..and they all need to grow goatees.

Caveat Emperor
04-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Oh..and they all need to grow goatees.

I guess the thinking is: If none of your prospects are good, then at least they can all be evil.

RedlegNation
04-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Hasn't it seemed like we've been getting good performances out of some of our minor league pitchers so far this season? I've been very pleased.

KittyDuran
04-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Gee, 7 runs on 2 errors. There must have been a walk or hit somewhere in there, I bet.Of course, I was just noting that it just wasn't all the bullpen's fault in the loss.

KittyDuran
04-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Here's the write-up in the DDN:

Dragons eclipsed by Hawks
Gerardo Cabrera drops fly, burnt by bright sun in first shutout
By Marc Katz

Dayton Daily News

DAYTON | Left fielder Gerardo Cabrera stared deep into his locker and wasn't easily placated when told it was only one game, and the sun could get into anyone's eyes.

Then a roving coaching instructor pulled him away for some confidence-boosting talk and Dayton Dragons manager Billy Gardner Jr. said, "There's no one play that determines a game."

Cabrera probably didn't think so after he dropped a line drive through the sun with one on and one out in the ninth inning of a scoreless game.

By the time the South Bend Silver Hawks were done, they stole away from Fifth Third Field with a 7-0 victory Sunday on an otherwise chilly day that left the Dragons 1-3 at the start of the Class A Midwest League season.

"Yes, it was the sun," Cabrera said, barely moving his head before he went into conference.

"He's taking it hard," Gardner said. "Everything kind of unraveled after that. The beautiful part of this game is you get to go out and do everything again tomorrow."

After the dropped fly, leaving runners on second and third, relief pitcher Andy Weimer walked Tory Hendricks intentionally, then Bryan Byrne on a full-count pitch to bring in the game's first and only needed run.

Two singles, a sun-aided double and a dropped pop added to the rest of the runs, while the Dragons suffered their first shutout on only six hits.

A major highlight for the Dragons was the six scoreless innings performed by rookie right-hander Zach Ward, who walked three one intentionally and allowed just two hits.

icehole3
04-10-2006, 05:57 PM
The LFer made 3 miscues but was only given 2 errors. It was my first time seeing Bruce, he's got an cannon. Ward kept the ball down and seemed to have a good changeup.