PDA

View Full Version : Larkin's uniform number up for grabs

Mainspark
04-10-2006, 01:45 AM
I had assumed that Larkin's # 11, like Reds uniform numbers 13 and 14, was in unofficial retirement, pending an eventual ceremony.
That's apparently not the case, according to a McCoy DDN article Monday.

By Hal McCoy
Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Brandon Phillips always wore No. 7 on his back, but the Cincinnati Reds' latest infield coach Bucky Dent wears tha[/B]t numeral, causing general manager Wayne Krivsky to tell Dent, "There might be a Rolex watch in your future if Phillips really wants that number from you."

Knowing that Barry Larkin was Phillips' favorite player, Krivsky offered him Larkin's old No. 11, but Phillips said, "No, he's my man. I can't wear his number.'"

Phillips, the club's most recent infield acquisition and a guy of whom scouts have compared to former Cincinnati infielder Pokey Reese, settled for No. 4 and on Sunday morning was settling into his clubhouse dressing stall.

"I heard Cincinnati was a team that might trade for me and that's nice because my favorite player growing up was Barry Larkin so it is nice to be on the same team he played for," said Phillips. "The first Braves game I ever went to he played shortstop for the Reds and made a lot of great plays. I've liked him ever since and always kept up with him."

The_jbh
04-10-2006, 01:49 AM
if i could use fowl language on this board this is where id do it :thumbdown :rant:

Gainesville Red
04-10-2006, 01:51 AM
If Krivsky was a member at Redszone, I'd negg him.

savafan
04-10-2006, 02:12 AM
if i could use fowl language on this board this is where id do it :thumbdown :rant:

Feel free to talk about birds all you want. You can even do so as it relates to baseball, referring to such mascots as Blue Jays and Orioles. I don't think there is a rule against it. ;)

jmcclain19
04-10-2006, 02:52 AM
I've never understood why people get all worked up over who wears what number.

You'll always remember Larkin's time as a Red. Why does another player wearing that number disgrace his legacy? 11 is just a number after all.

Yeah, blah blah blah honoring the player, I get that. There are a lot of ways you can honor former players.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 04:23 AM
If Larkin's is up for grabs then EVERY number should be up for grabs.

icehole3
04-10-2006, 06:00 AM
IMO if Eric Davis' number is taken the why not Larkin, both are Reds Hall of Famers. Barry should be a MLB Hall of Famer, maybe not first ballot,

GAC
04-10-2006, 06:13 AM

Not once they have been retired. ;)

macro
04-10-2006, 07:52 AM
I agree completely. Since they've set aside the ones they have, then #11 should be put off-limits until such time that it can be officially retired. Someone needs to pull Krivsky aside on this one.

:nono:

Sweetstop
04-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

WVRed
04-10-2006, 08:21 AM
I agree completely. Since they've set aside the ones they have, then #11 should be put off-limits until such time that it can be officially retired. Someone needs to pull Krivsky aside on this one.

:nono:

Let it be officially retired, then nobody can wear it.

I'm sure the only reason this hasnt happened sooner is that the players have respect for Larkin.

alexad
04-10-2006, 08:30 AM
I think we are forgetting who wrote the story. Hal likes to juice up a story.

I do not believe it for one moment. But Joe Morgan's 8 was worn for a few years. I believe Bo Diaz wore it for a year before going to 6.

I do not believe 13, or 14 has been used with the exception of Pete Jr. wearing it. 15 is being used this year.

Soto's 36 has been worn and I think that number should be rested. Tom Seaver's 41 has been worn also.

KearnsyEars
04-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Disregard of history if u ask me

deltachi8
04-10-2006, 10:20 AM
I've never understood why people get all worked up over who wears what number.

You'll always remember Larkin's time as a Red. Why does another player wearing that number disgrace his legacy? 11 is just a number after all.

Yeah, blah blah blah honoring the player, I get that. There are a lot of ways you can honor former players.

I could not agree more. If you want to make a number special, then pass it down like a tradition. Otherwise its just a number on a back.

Spitball
04-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Retiring a number is a traditional honor in baseball. Some might not see the significance, but many do understand that it is a way of honoring and remembering the exploits of a former hero. Obviously, it isn't important to some fans, but it is to others.

I was disappointed they gave Casey's #21 away this season. Though I wouldn't have retired it, I would have waited a year before assigning it again. I remember the Reds gave Dick Simpson #20 after Frank Robinson was traded and that really bothered me. Also, Bobby Tolan was given Vada Pinson's #28 right after the trade.

To me, part of baseball's appeal is the recognition of its tradition by the fans. Cincinnati stands apart from many clubs because of its rich tradition of being the first professional franchise and for being "the dynasty of the '70's". I wish the front office would retire #11.

top6
04-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't think any player would be so disrespectful as to take #11. Larkin always had a lot more respect from MLB players than he did from the Reds front office (or even the Reds fans, for that matter). When younger players talk about him, it is always with respect and admiration. So, Larkin will continue to be honored, despite the Reds' continual effort to pointlessly trash his image.

RedFanAlways1966
04-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I think we are forgetting who wrote the story. Hal likes to juice up a story.

I do not believe it for one moment.

Now wait a minute, alex... are you saying Hal made this up (I think you are)? Sounds like Phillips is confiming that the story is true from what I read. Let's not kill the messenger. Be mad at our GM, be mad at our former GM, be mad at Barry for the way he left... but do not blame Hal for this one.

alexad
04-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Are we talking Phillips from ESPN? That would really explain what I was trying to say.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Not once they have been retired. ;)
Unretire them.

I don't get worked upa bout them, but you can't have it both ways..if Larkin's is given away then really nobody else's should be retired.

RedsManRick
04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Honor the number with the icon on the outfield fence, but no need to take it out of comission. Larkin will always be #11 to me, but it's not like that's diminished if Phillips or anybody else wears it.

RedlegNation
04-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Makes me like Phillips even more that he wouldn't take 11. I don't know why, I just think the number should never be worn again in Cincinnati. Larkin was one of the three or four best Reds ever.

Looks like it's time to start a "Retire Barry Larkin's Number" petition drive.

LawFive
04-10-2006, 06:11 PM
I think this may have been done around here once before, but since it's a new year...If you take a close look at at, there really aren't all that many numbers open. Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I really don't care for baseball players wearing jerseys in the 60's, but there really isn't much left. The Reds need to decide whether to retire 11 and 13 soon, and if not, use them! Of course, there is a way to open #15 in a hurry ;)

Red's Numerical Roster (from memory..please feel free to correct)

00 White
1 retired (Hutchinson)
2 Lopez
3 Jr
4 Phillips
5 retired (Bench)
6 Freel
7 Bucky Dent
8 retired (Morgan)
9 open/Cruz
10 retired (Anderson)
11 quasi-retired (Larkin)
12 Encarnacion
13 quasi-retired (Concepcion)
14 quasi-retired (Rose)
15 Womack
17 Valentin
18 retired (Klu)
19 Denorfia
20 retired (F Robinson)
21 Hatteburg
22 Milton
23 LaRue
24 retired (Perez)
25 Weathers
26 Ross
27 open/Bergolla
28 Kearns
30 open/McCracken
31 Belisle
32 Billy Hatcher
33 Aurilia
34 Claussen
35 open/Standridge
37 open/Shackleford
38 open/Wagner
39 Harang
40 Wilson
41 Jerry Narron
42 retired (J Robinson)
44 Dunn
45 Hammond
47 Tom Hume
49 Chris Chambliss
50 Mercker
52 Williams
53 Burns
54 Abad
55 Mark Berry
56 Coffey
58 Vern Ruhle
61 Arroyo

StillFunkyB
04-10-2006, 08:56 PM
If Krivsky was a member at Redszone, I'd negg him.

I had to give you rep for that. Good stuff.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Plenty of numbers avalible, what's the big deal with lower numbers? :dunno:

Larkin411
04-10-2006, 09:21 PM
I dig that Phillips favorite player was Larkin. Too bad he isn't still with the organization so he could try to help him out.

Big Klu
04-11-2006, 02:20 AM
I think this may have been done around here once before, but since it's a new year...If you take a close look at at, there really aren't all that many numbers open. Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I really don't care for baseball players wearing jerseys in the 60's, but there really isn't much left. The Reds need to decide whether to retire 11 and 13 soon, and if not, use them! Of course, there is a way to open #15 in a hurry ;)

Red's Numerical Roster (from memory..please feel free to correct)

00 White
1 retired (Hutchinson)
2 Lopez
3 Jr
4 Phillips
5 retired (Bench)
6 Freel
7 Bucky Dent
8 retired (Morgan)
9 open/Cruz
10 retired (Anderson)
11 quasi-retired (Larkin)
12 Encarnacion
13 quasi-retired (Concepcion)
14 quasi-retired (Rose)
15 Womack
17 Valentin
18 retired (Klu)
19 Denorfia
20 retired (F Robinson)
21 Hatteburg
22 Milton
23 LaRue
24 retired (Perez)
25 Weathers
26 Ross
27 open/Bergolla
28 Kearns
30 open/McCracken
31 Belisle
32 Billy Hatcher
33 Aurilia
34 Claussen
35 open/Standridge
37 open/Shackleford
38 open/Wagner
39 Harang
40 Wilson
41 Jerry Narron
42 retired (J Robinson)
44 Dunn
45 Hammond
47 Tom Hume
49 Chris Chambliss
50 Mercker
52 Williams
53 Burns
54 Abad
55 Mark Berry
56 Coffey
58 Vern Ruhle
61 Arroyo

16 Frank Menechino
29 Miguel Perez
36 Grant Balfour
43 Lee Tunnell (interim bullpen coach)
48 Mike Gosling
51 Jung Keun Bong
57 Justin Germano
59 Dane Sardinha

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 03:10 AM
I think Dunn would look cool in 99 :D

GAC
04-11-2006, 04:55 AM
Unretire them.

I don't get worked upa bout them, but you can't have it both ways..if Larkin's is given away then really nobody else's should be retired.

What do you mean you can't have it both ways? The other numbers have been officially retired. Larkin's hasn't. And has Barry ever officially announced his retirement?

And that is not how the system/rules work, which I think (not sure) are established by MLB.

This is where the owner, who seems to be trying to uphold and promote Red's tradition, needs to step in. I really don't think Krivsky is gonna let anyone wear #11. It wouldn't be a wise decision on his part.

Again I'm not sure on this, but what are the rules on retiring a player's number? Are there any? Does a player have to be in retirement for so many years?

Jpup
04-11-2006, 10:15 AM
I think that Krivsky might have, jokingly, offered him #11. I just can't believe he would actually let someone wear it. I think it would be a bad idea. I expect Larkin to be back, in some compacity, with the Reds in 2007.

I also think that it's silly that Jr. changed his number. He's Jr. and he can do what he wants, but it doesn't look right to me.:rolleyes: What's going to happen when the Reds want to retire his number? Does he get two? ;)

Big Klu
04-11-2006, 10:42 AM
I think that Krivsky might have, jokingly, offered him #11. I just can't believe he would actually let someone wear it. I think it would be a bad idea. I expect Larkin to be back, in some compacity, with the Reds in 2007.

I also think that it's silly that Jr. changed his number. He's Jr. and he can do what he wants, but it doesn't look right to me.:rolleyes: What's going to happen when the Reds want to retire his number? Does he get two? ;)

I think it's OK, because it gives Junior his own identity with the Reds. To me, #30 has always been Ken Griffey Sr.

Jpup
04-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I think it's OK, because it gives Junior his own identity with the Reds. To me, #30 has always been Ken Griffey Sr.

yeah, but I'm not that old. ;)

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 03:19 PM
What do you mean you can't have it both ways? The other numbers have been officially retired. Larkin's hasn't. And has Barry ever officially announced his retirement?

Unretire them, I don't think there is a big rule book about it :dunno:

Hopefully Wayno was joking.

GAC
04-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Unretire them, I don't think there is a big rule book about it :dunno:

Would you like to see Valentin wearing #5.... or Abad #24? ;)

Talk about trying to start a revolt.

Fans like to see numbers retired (and displayed) in honor, and to pay tribute, to those elite/special players.

Hopefully Wayno was joking.

I hope so too. It would be highly inappropriate, and a slap in the face to Barry, for anyone else to be wearing #11 while in a Red's uniform.

And I don't think you'll see it happen.

Red in Chicago
04-12-2006, 09:29 AM
don't the yankees have over twice as many numbers as the reds that are retired? they haven't had any problems with running out of numbers that i'm aware of, right?

number 11 and 13 need to be officially retired...as for number 14, i guess considering pete's situation, retiring the number isn't going to happen, but no one should ever wear that number again...

GAC
04-12-2006, 10:03 AM
as for number 14, i guess considering pete's situation, retiring the number isn't going to happen, but no one should ever wear that number again...

and no one ever will. If it was up to this organization, it would have already been retired and on the wall.

Agree about #13 too.

macro
04-12-2006, 10:56 AM
don't the yankees have over twice as many numbers as the reds that are retired? they haven't had any problems with running out of numbers that i'm aware of, right?

number 11 and 13 need to be officially retired...as for number 14, i guess considering pete's situation, retiring the number isn't going to happen, but no one should ever wear that number again...

I don't think MLB could do anything about it if the Reds wanted to retire #14, so i think they should go ahead and do it. Pete couldn't appear at the ceremony, but his number would be retired nevertheless.

KronoRed
04-12-2006, 02:29 PM
We could sneak him in dressed as Mr.Red :D

Spitball
04-12-2006, 03:14 PM
and no one ever will. If it was up to this organization, it would have already been retired and on the wall.

Agree about #13 too.

I believe the Reds had only officially retired one number (Fred Hutchinson's number 1) until 1999. Then, Joe Morgan made comments during a broadcast about the lack of tradition at Cinergy Field and then 5, 8, 18, 20, and 24 were retired. I thought #10 was also retired, but I think Tim Foli wore it recently.

Maybe Krivsky's offer to Phillips will prompt another public comment that will get the Reds to take action to retire Larkin's number.

Big Klu
04-12-2006, 06:53 PM
I believe the Reds had only officially retired one number (Fred Hutchinson's number 1) until 1999. Then, Joe Morgan made comments during a broadcast about the lack of tradition at Cinergy Field and then 5, 8, 18, 20, and 24 were retired. I thought #10 was also retired, but I think Tim Foli wore it recently.

Maybe Krivsky's offer to Phillips will prompt another public comment that will get the Reds to take action to retire Larkin's number.

5 was retired shortly after Johnny Bench's retirement. But other than that, you are correct.

GAC
04-12-2006, 07:16 PM
I don't think MLB could do anything about it if the Reds wanted to retire #14, so i think they should go ahead and do it. Pete couldn't appear at the ceremony, but his number would be retired nevertheless.

I think MLB can do something about the Reds retiring Rose's # as long as he is on the banned list.

Chip R
04-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Not that I'm a big Pete Rose fan but I'd love to tweak MLB's nose in retiring #14. Now we can't do it for Rose, Sr. and Rose, Jr. would be too obvious. But what about someone who wore 14 before him? Pick the best player who wore that and have a night for him. What could MLB do for retiring Joe Schmo's number even if it was #14?

KronoRed
04-12-2006, 07:59 PM
MLB would throw a fit anyway.