PDA

View Full Version : Batman Criticizes Pirates

deltachi8
04-10-2006, 02:45 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06100/681044-100.stm

Actor Keaton criticizes Pirates' owners before first pitch
Monday, April 10, 2006

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Batman threw a few barbs the Pirates' way today, and they hit as hard as a batarang to the temple.

Actor Michael Keaton, the Coraopolis native who threw out the ceremonial first pitch, was bitingly critical of the franchise's ownership shortly before the home opener today at PNC Park, accusing the Pirates of not spending enough on players and of taking their fans for granted.

"Maybe they should let me throw this pitch first because they might not like what I have to say," Keaton said at a news conference.

He paused.

"I fear they will take advantage of the good will of the people who continue to show up," he continued. "For my money, that's disrespectful. At some point, you either have to write the check or do something and not assume, well, we're OK and, ultimately, the franchise is valuable, anyway, like Donald Sterling did with the Los Angeles Clippers."

Sterling, the Clippers' famously frugal owner, finally is presiding over a winning team after 12 consecutive losing seasons.

"Look, I'd do it, too, if I were a businessman," Keaton said. "But, at some point, you've got to win. I think fans have been gracious. And maybe not vocal enough. Maybe not vociferous enough with their displeasure. That's my opinion."

The Pirates' payroll of $47.6 million -- up nearly $13 million from last season -- ranks 26th among the 30 teams in Major League Baseball

harangatang
04-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Baseball is a business too, some owners want to win and others just want to make money. Two easy examples of the opposite ends of the spectrum are George Steinbrenner and Carl Lindner. Steinbrenner wants to win and Lindner just wnted to make money.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 03:25 PM
I agree with Batman.

What does Spider-man think though?

traderumor
04-10-2006, 03:28 PM
I agree with Batman.

What does Spider-man think though?He's an Indians fans, never quite getting over the fact that at one time there was a team in Cleveland known as the Spiders.

deltachi8
04-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Aquaman thinks the Marlins are in trouble.

Caveat Emperor
04-10-2006, 03:39 PM
I agree with Batman.

What does Spider-man think though?

Bruce Wayne should buy the Pirates -- he's a billionaire, he could definately afford to putting a winning team on the field.

wolfboy
04-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Bruce Wayne should buy the Pirates -- he's a billionaire, he could definately afford to putting a winning team on the field.

The bat wallet has to be thinner than in years past. I'm sure he's feeling the pinch at the pump. I can't imagine what it takes to fill up that car of his. On top of that, the guy has a serious gadget addiction. He'd spend his revenue sharing dollars on fancy belts instead of a middle of the order bat.

Chip R
04-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Sure, Batman buys a team and instills Robin as GM. If Robin makes a bad trade he can blame it on Dick Grayson. And then what happens when the Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman buy the Cubs?

deltachi8
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Sure, Batman buys a team and instills Robin as GM. If Robin makes a bad trade he can blame it on Dick Grayson. And then what happens when the Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman buy the Cubs?

they continue to suck out loud?

KearnsyEars
04-10-2006, 05:17 PM
My 2 cents, what keaton knows about baseball is a short book.

dsmith421
04-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Baseball is a business too, some owners want to win and others just want to make money. Two easy examples of the opposite ends of the spectrum are George Steinbrenner and Carl Lindner. Steinbrenner wants to win and Lindner just wnted to make money.

If all Carl Lindner cared about was making money, he got into the wrong business. Given Lindner's history, I think it's clear that he saw himself as a transitional caretaker of a civic institution and was more concerned with positive Cincinnati and LindnerCo PR than profitability. Unfortunately, he surrounded himself with absymally stupid baseball people, and, in the long run, failed at all three objectives.

Comparing Lindner to the men that own the Pirates and Royals and are allegedly merely profiteering, well, I think that's unfair.

Chip R
04-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Comparing Lindner to the men that own the Pirates and Royals and are allegedly merely profiteering, well, I think that's unfair.

Is it fair to compare him to Batman?

Puffy
04-10-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm Batman.

SunDeck
04-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Michael Keaton and Puffy are not Batman.
This is batman:

http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com/img_lib/Adam%20West%20279%205-8-5.jpg

Puffy
04-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Michael Keaton and Puffy are not Batman.
This is batman:

http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com/img_lib/Adam%20West%20279%205-8-5.jpg

No, I'm Batman - that dude is the mayor of Quahog.

RFS62
04-10-2006, 05:46 PM
http://www.u-blog.net/hide1983/img/films-beetlejuice.jpg

SunDeck
04-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Good eye, Batman.

http://familyguy.neoseeker.com/images/uploads/mayor_adam_west_mini.png

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 06:09 PM
No, I'm Batman - that dude is the mayor of Quahog.
I thought you were a top prospect for the Reds :dunno:

MrCinatit
04-10-2006, 07:14 PM
One of the biggest fans of the Reds: Die Fledermaus

Little Alex
04-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Maybe if Bengals fans just kept their mouths shut, maybe, there would be no Marvin Lewis.

I Agree With "The Little Batman That Never Should Have Been A Batman". Most fan grumblings dont do anything, but if enough voices unite with among other thing, their checkbooks, they CAN make a difference.

With the passion for the Reds in this town, I believe Lindner had 2 maybe 3 more seasons of ineptitude before the natives freaked out, ala post 2-14 Bengals fans.

Yachtzee
04-10-2006, 08:14 PM

Batman and Robin would seek out all the "toolsy" players.
Superman as GM would prefer natural talent.
Spiderman's clubhouse would experience a sudden increase in performance enhancing "spider bites."
Aquaman would take over the Marlins. Sportswriters would marvel that he has a special way of communicating with his players.
Wonder Woman would take over the Indians, start a bunch of has-beens and never was-es in order to get out of her stadium lease so that she could move them to Vegas. The Indians would promptly win the pennant.

Any others?

REDREAD
04-11-2006, 10:20 AM
If all Carl Lindner cared about was making money, he got into the wrong business. .

He made a killing.. He bought Marge's shares for around 60 or 70 million.. How much did Cast pay for the team? Wasn't it around 200 or 250 million.. Now, I know that Cast bought some other owner's shares as well, but Carl easily more than DOUBLED his investment in about 7 years. With No risk.
In addition to the profit he made off selling the team, he was collecting handsome profits every year, that Allen was able to disguise as losses.

The Reds were probably the easiest money Carl ever made.

I can not find the link now, but it was reported that the Reds actually lent Carl the money to buy the team. So Carl didn't even have to put his own money into it. Again, since I can't find the link, I can understand if you chose not to believe this.. BUT the point is that Carl made a lot of easy money at the expense of Reds' fans.

Redus
04-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Wonder Woman thinks The San Fran Giants are FABULOUS!

westofyou
04-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I can not find the link now, but it was reported that the Reds actually lent Carl the money to buy the team.

I don't think so, I think that several other Reds owners helped in the buy out.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/1999/0914/58183.html

The deal, in which 36.7 percent of the Reds' shares change hands, values the franchise at $181.8 million. George Strike and William Reik, two of the Reds' current limited partners, are helping fund Lindner's bid.

He made a killing..

And so did she... plus she didn't spend a dime on the franchise, just kept taking and taking from it.

At least with Lindner there were some new buildings when he left.

Dec. 21, 1984: Schott buys general partnership shares in the Reds from the Williams brothers, borrowing $12 million for her estimated $24 million stake.

April 1999: Schott agrees to sell 5 1/2 of her 6 1/2 shares to three limited partners for $67 million. Major League Baseball approves the sale in September, with Carl Lindner as chief executive officer.

Big Klu
04-11-2006, 10:52 AM
This thread needs an enema!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/Jokermovie.jpg/180px-Jokermovie.jpg

tripleaaaron
04-11-2006, 11:09 AM
my 2 cents, what keaton knows about baseball is a short book.
Keaton is right, and he is from the Pittsburg area. Him making these comments is the same as has been going on here under Lindner, so for you to say that is the same as someone else saying our perspectives were unknowledgeable as well. He is a fan, just hoping that by standing up, maybe they will throw a winner out there just once.

Chip R
04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
I think turnabout is fair play and the Pirates should criticize Keaton for some of the acting choices he's made.

SunDeck
04-11-2006, 12:06 PM
I think turnabout is fair play and the Pirates should criticize Keaton for some of the acting choices he's made.
After Nightshift, it was pretty much down hill.
"This is Chuck reminding Bill to SHUT UP!"

IowaRed
04-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Mr. Mom had some fine moments. 220, 221...whatever it takes

SunDeck
04-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Mr. Mom had some fine moments. 220, 221...whatever it takes
Nice recall! I actually had an electrician say that once, while he was planning some work in my kitchen.

Redus
04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
After Nightshift, it was pretty much down hill.
"This is Chuck reminding Bill to SHUT UP!"
I got an idea........Edible paper

Edskin
I think this thread title should be changed to...

"Guy who leads union revolt against Japanese auto company, but promises too much and almost has the union revolt against him" criticizes Pirates.

:)

Redus
Tuna with the mayo already mixed in.....call Starkist

Redus
04-11-2006, 12:58 PM
"Weve got drugs ,and booze and teenage chicks in here,"

smith288
04-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Keaton as Batman was the best batman I knew. The old batman series was WEAK and Adam West was a horrible batman. He was a wuss which was opposite of the comic strip one.

No batman compares to Keaton's. Dark, witty and intimidating.

SunDeck
04-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Keaton as Batman was the best batman I knew.

Not fair...I based my judgement on watching the show, not on hanging out with them. :evil:

smith288
04-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Not fair...I based my judgement on watching the show, not on hanging out with them. :evil:
What can I say? Im a name dropper.

Yachtzee
04-11-2006, 10:23 PM
I think this thread title should be changed to...

"Guy who leads union revolt against Japanese auto company, but promises too much and almost has the union revolt against him" criticizes Pirates.

:)

Come on now. He's the Man who "saved" Hadleyvillle. Maybe he could turn the Pirates around.

For some fun, anyone want to photoshop some Pirates into this picture?