PDA

View Full Version : Fans of NES and the 1986 World Series (Sox-Mets-Buckner)

realreds1
04-10-2006, 05:29 PM
If you enjoyed RBI Baseball on the classic NES, and if you loved the 1986 World Series (Buckner's foibles), or if you just enjoy bizarre stuff on the Internet, WATCH THIS:

http://www.sandiegoserenade.com/2006/04/1986_world_series_game_6_reena.html

"So last week had the first day since I've been keeping the blog that I missed an entry. I felt bad about this lack of discipline, and no doubt you were upset as well. I wanted to post the little project that I was working on that diverted my attention from posting about music. I decided that I wanted to enter this YouTube Cybersmack contest and 2in $25,000 for creating the best internet viral video, so I decided to re-enact Game Six of the 1986 World Series in RBI Baseball, my favorite video game of all time. Game Six is one of the most surreal, unbelievable displays of sports in history, and hopefully now that the Sox have emerged victorious in the World Series, it can be seen more as an utterly stupifying comeback, and less of a devastating choke job.

So this took a long time, and I heard more of the RBI theme music in those hours than a man ever should. But I also learned a good deal about the game. Namely these two things:

-Vin Scully is a great announcer. During the 20 minute plus bottom of the tenth, the other "color man" in the booth chimes in for about 3 different comments, one of them just being "Golly!" The difference between a run of the mill broadcaster and a hall of famer is very apparent, but I cut most of the color guy out because of time constraints.

-Secondly, the blame that Bill Buckner has taken for this loss over the years is just shockingly high compared to the Red Sox pitching staff. They are the true people who choked the game away. Obviously Buckner made a terrible error, but they put the Red Sox in an unbelievable position, one that you can't imagine any of today's modern super-closers ever ending up in.

Without further ado, here is the video: The 1986 World Series Game 6 Re-Enacted in RBI Baseball. Unfortunately it is about 6 minutes longer than the three minute YouTube contest limit, but I hope that people enjoy the video even if it doesn't result in a major cash payday for yours truly."

Blimpie
04-11-2006, 11:05 AM
That was way cool. I ruled all those who dared to play me in RBI Baseball. Just sayin'

Jpup
04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
That was way cool. I ruled all those who dared to play me in RBI Baseball. Just sayin'

obviously you never played me. :D

Blimpie
04-11-2006, 11:08 AM
obviously you never played me. :DI'll bring the cooler...it is ON!

Jpup
04-11-2006, 11:17 AM
I'll bring the cooler...it is ON!

i've got a long weekend and we are just a couple hours apart. :thumbup:

NatiRedGals
04-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Hah nice guys tape them all !!!!:duel:

Hap
04-11-2006, 11:53 AM
I used to hit home runs all the time with Jose Oquendo.

HotCorner
04-11-2006, 11:56 AM
NES Baseball was cool until Baseball Stars came along. That game rocked!!!

KearnsyEars
04-11-2006, 12:20 PM
strawberry hit so many HRs in that game. My first baseball game. I would keep his "career totals" in a checkbook my mom gave me to write in. Every time I'd hit a HR with darryl, I'd write the number (which as a 6 year old I just decided to start at 500) one above the one that I had down before it. Darryl hit over 800 homeruns, maybe I'll break out the RBI someday with my son and see if we can get him to 1000. Oh darryl

KearnsyEars
04-11-2006, 12:20 PM
and eric davis wasn't on the reds but the NATIONAL ALL STARS, with the black helmets.

Johnny Footstool
04-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Mike Scott's split-fingered fastball was unhittable in RBI. Nasty, nasty stuff.

Ellis Burks was unbelievable. He and Eric Davis were the best Power/Speed combo players in the game.

Blimpie
04-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Mike Scott's split-fingered fastball was unhittable in RBI. Nasty, nasty stuff.

Ellis Burks was unbelievable. He and Eric Davis were the best Power/Speed combo players in the game...or, as he became known in my basement: Mike Scuff :cool:

Newman4
04-11-2006, 01:53 PM
My favorite game until "Techmo Bowl" came out.

deltachi8
04-11-2006, 02:13 PM
NES Baseball was cool until Baseball Stars came along. That game rocked!!!

werd. loved baseball stars. skipped many a class while playing that one.

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 03:25 PM
My favorite game until "Techmo Bowl" came out.
Ahh memories, Bo Jackson was an auto TD every time he touched the ball :laugh:

Blimpie
04-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Actually, I think it was spelled "Tecmo Bowl". Jerry Rice was awesome too. Joe Morris was better than in real life. Must have been programmed by a Giants fan. :laugh:Definitely, because if you had the Giants and Lawrence Taylor was rated in "Excellent" your opponent was in for a long afternoon. In cases like these, not only were first downs at a premium, but so were extra points. Field goals were out of the question.

BTW, the original Tecmo Bowl game for Nintendo didn't even have all pro teams (Bengals were excluded IIRC). The sequel was "Super Tecmo Bowl" and was much better. I ruled the Earth with the Eagles. Randall Cunningham was known on this game as "QB Eagles" and was nearly as fast as Bo Jackson....but of course he could also throw the ball.

Newman4
04-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Ahh memories, Bo Jackson was an auto TD every time he touched the ball :laugh:

Actually, I think it was spelled "Tecmo Bowl". Jerry Rice was awesome too. Joe Morris was better than in real life. Must have been programmed by a Giants fan. :laugh:

Little Alex
04-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Only problem with Baseball Stars was that it froze up after a while. I still played that thing for hours upon hours though.

And RBI? Davey Lopes was the fastest old man I'd ever seen.

Techmo Bowl? Esiason, Eddie Brown, Brooks.... "meeeeeeemmmmories...." :beerme:

...bythe way, to the author of this thread, very cleverly done video. :thumbup:

GOREDSGO32
04-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Tecmo Super Bowl and RBI Baseball .. man those were the days ... you don't get better than that. Trivia question: how many players that were in RBI Baseball are STILL active players today?

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Tecmo Super Bowl and RBI Baseball .. man those were the days ... you don't get better than that. Trivia question: how many players that were in RBI Baseball are STILL active players today?
Julio? :D

wheels
04-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Franco, Santiago, Clemens (sorta),........

Wait, is Santiago still playing?

Oh man, I loved RBI. Bill Madlock was really good in that game.
I loved Detroit and Houston.

I can still hear that droning "men in scoring position" music...."Dum, dum d-dum..." How I ever recorded outs with that music playing is beyond me.

Hummm Baby!

Hap
04-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Long Live Al Pedrique, the best shortstop in the National League at that time (who the heck is Barry Larkin?)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KearnsyEars
04-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Julio? :D

No one?

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Definitely, because if you had the Giants and Lawrence Taylor was rated in "Excellent" your opponent was in for a long afternoon. In cases like these, not only were first downs at a premium, but so were extra points. Field goals were out of the question.

I remember I was playing a friend of mine and he and I agreed before that he wouldn't block anything with LT, well end of the game comes and he blocks an XP that would have sent the game to OT, I threw the controller at him.

Ahh memories.

GOREDSGO32
04-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Julio Franco, Benito if he's still around .. same with John Franco.

Newman4
04-12-2006, 07:15 AM
According to this website:

http://dee-nee.com/rbi/

Julio is the only one unless Clemens comes back or Santiago.

KearnsyEars
04-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Question:

If they made RBI baseball with today's current rosters, would you play it?

Blimpie
04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Question:

If they made RBI baseball with today's current rosters, would you play it?Did Howdy-Doody have wooden balls?

KronoRed
04-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Question:

If they made RBI baseball with today's current rosters, would you play it?
Yes.

Someone edited Tecmo Bowl a few years ago to current rosters, I played. (with an emulator)

Hap
04-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Yes.Someone edited Tecmo Bowl a few years ago to current rosters, I played. (with an emulator)

Have you played Tecmo Rose Bowl 1998 and/or Tecmo Rose Bowl 2002? Ohio State is awesome in both versions. Andy Katzenmoyer on the 1998 version is better than David Fulcher was on the original version.