PDA

View Full Version : Anyone See This? (D-Train)

NatiRedGals
04-10-2006, 08:30 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5488220

Interesting this could be the pitcher we need!!!:eek: What should we offer? Wayne could already be on top of this!

NatiRedGals
04-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I would be willing to give Griffey or Freel up for a deal like this? Should be interesting

redsfan30
04-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I would love to have Dontrelle Willis, but I don't think we have enough to offer back.

MrCinatit
04-10-2006, 08:33 PM
It is a very nice dream, but a brutal reality. It will not happen, not here, not us.
Sure I can pull it off on MVP, but I don't think we can get Willis for Milton, Williams and Womack in the real world.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 08:33 PM
They would want Bailey, Votto and EE just for starters, probably even more.

Caveat Emperor
04-10-2006, 08:35 PM
There is likely nothing the Reds could offer the Marlins that would be competitive with other offers they'll field for Willis.

Someone will overpay badly for him, and they'll overpay with what the Marlins want: young, highly-projectible talent. The Reds have virtually none of that at the high minor league level or even at the major league level. The one commodity that might secure Willis in a trade, Adam Dunn, is too expensive for Florida to take on in salary.

redsmetz
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I would be willing to give Griffey or Freel up for a deal like this? Should be interesting

Griffey, understandably, would not agree to such a trade. If we waives his 10/5 rights it will only be to a true contender.

NatiRedGals
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Griffey and D-Train have around the same salary which is interesting which is why i thought of him. I know its a dream but if someones desprate it could happen

paintmered
04-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Adding Griffey to the Marlins would double their payroll.

reds44
04-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Marlins wouldn't want him, and Junior wouldn't go.

Edwin Encarnacion
Ryan Freel

And probably a good minor league pitcher. It would take a deal like that.

NatiRedGals
04-10-2006, 08:41 PM
I wouldnt mind giving up Ryan and a Good Minor player that would be worth it! Crazy i maybe but dreaming is everthing

redsfan30
04-10-2006, 08:42 PM
If we offered Freel/Encarnacion and a minor league pitcher, the Marlins would laugh thier fool heads off at Krivsky.

reds44
04-10-2006, 08:43 PM
If we offered Freel/Encarnacion and a minor league pitcher, the Marlins would laugh thier fool heads off at Krivsky.
Ehh I don't think so, but it would probably have to be more yes.

Claussen
Encarnacion
Freel
and ?

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Bailey, Votto, Chick, Wood prob more.

They are going to want a ton of prospects, that's how they rebuild.

BRM
The one commodity that might secure Willis in a trade, Adam Dunn, is too expensive for Florida to take on in salary.

Yeah, that would push their payroll to over $20M. No way can they afford that. :rolleyes: :)

VI_RedsFan
Ehh I don't think so, but it would probably have to be more yes.

Claussen
Encarnacion
Freel
and ?

Maybe we could get Miggy in the mix too?

Claussen, Edwin, Freel, Votto, and Dickerson for Willis and Cabrera.

OK, time for me to wake up from this dream...

kbrake
04-10-2006, 08:47 PM
I was actually think about starting a thread on this same thing earlier today and I didnt even see this article. I was just wondering what everyone thought it would take. I thought Edwin and Bailey would be a start.

NastyBoy
04-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Hmmm... what would OB do.

I would trade Harang, Dunn, Denorfia and Bailey straight up.

edabbs44
04-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Hmmm... what would OB do.

I would trade Harang, Dunn, Denorfia and Bailey straight up.

The Marlins need young, cheap talent that is close to major league ready. Cincy doesn't have much of this and Fla is already overloaded with pitching prospects, taking Homer out of the mix. I don't think it's even worth talking about. If it does happen, I could see the Angels making a run as they have tons of infield prospects (Wood, Aybar, Morales, Kendrick, etc). I hope we have some drafts where we would be able to maneuver a deal like this in the future. That's up to Wayne.

I have to say it would be awesome, though.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Dunn is too expensive, EE would be a definite, Lopez might be too expensive but they could take him on.

reds44
04-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Dunn is too expensive, EE would be a definite, Lopez might be too expensive but they could take him on.
They have Ramirez at 3rd, so I don't think they would want Felipe. Athough they have Cabrerra at 3rd, so would they want EE?

Well I think if they trade one, they will trade them both. Probably to different teams, but if one goes they both probably will.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 09:24 PM
They want prospects prospects prospects, position is probably not a huge concern.

reds44
04-10-2006, 09:24 PM
They want prospects prospects prospects, position is probably not a huge concern.
When it comes to two guys that would play in the majors right away it would be.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Then they deal them off for someone else

Joseph
04-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I worry about that delivery as far as long term arm troubles, so I wouldn't give our top 4 or 5 players for him, but maybe two.

NatiRedGals
04-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I argee a main reason i said this also was because of there payroll they may want more more more but remember they can only have so much

RedLegSuperStar
04-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Griffey, understandably, would not agree to such a trade. If we waives his 10/5 rights it will only be to a true contender.

I wouldn't say that.. He lives in Orlando, FL so that idea isn't out of the question. Junior yes wants to win a World Championship.. but to be honest with you.. Florida has won it 2 times in the last 8 years.. not bad in my opinion and with that young talent.. they could be in contension in 3-4 years.. 2 if the hang on to Willis and Cabrera

reds44
04-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't say that.. He lives in Orlando, FL so that idea isn't out of the question. Junior yes wants to win a World Championship.. but to be honest with you.. Florida has won it 2 times in the last 8 years.. not bad in my opinion and with that young talent.. they could be in contension in 3-4 years.. 2 if the hang on to Willis and Cabrera
Griffey is 40 in 4 years.

He insn't going to the Marlins, and the Marlins would never want his contract.

TeamSelig
04-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Homer Bailey, Edwin Encarnacion, Joey Votto, and maybe Brandon Claussen might get them to not hang up on them, but still I doubt they would do it.

Newman4
04-10-2006, 10:03 PM
.. 2 if the hang on to Willis and Cabrera

I thought that's who they were gonna trade for?

RedLegSuperStar
04-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Griffey is 40 in 4 years.

He insn't going to the Marlins, and the Marlins would never want his contract.

The statement was Griffey would never accept a trade there.. but the truth is he might because he moved from Seattle to Cincinnati to be closer to home (Orlando, FL)

reds44
04-10-2006, 10:14 PM
The statement was Griffey would never accept a trade there.. but the truth is he might because he moved from Seattle to Cincinnati to be closer to home (Orlando, FL)
The Reds lost in a 1 game playoff the year before Griffey game here, the Marlins are well the Marlins, and they started 6 rookies on Opening Day.

You can't compare the two situations

RedLegSuperStar
04-10-2006, 10:14 PM
As for Willis.. Could he be headed to Boston? Saw that the deal would start with Jon Lester.

SeeinRed
04-10-2006, 10:15 PM

Why would he want to go to the Marlins who could be moved out west? Not only that, but he wants a ring. There slim to no chance of that happening in Fla. anytime soon.

RedLegSuperStar
04-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Why would he want to go to the Marlins who could be moved out west? Not only that, but he wants a ring. There slim to no chance of that happening in Fla. anytime soon.

Ah forget it.. Im not saying he would or wouldn't. Just saying that it would be a mere hop skip and a jump from his home.

RedsManRick
04-10-2006, 10:22 PM
I haven't seem them mentioned, but the Angels could part with Brandon Wood or Howie Kendrick as a centerpiece for a Willis deal. I can't imagine they'd get a better offensive prospect

toledodan
04-11-2006, 01:31 AM
willis is the one pitcher i would give up my top 3 prospects for. he will be gone by the trade deadline and i would love for the reds front office to atleast(if we can still contend by then) make a trade offer for him. i know its more than likely a pipe dream for him to end up here but i feel the front office is sincere and will do everything in its power to deliver. i jut hope the team can contend long enough to see what the FO will do. remember the days of having colon and rolen trades done but the owner shot them down. i hope we can see something similar but with a different result.

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 03:19 AM
The Reds lost in a 1 game playoff the year before Griffey game here, the Marlins are well the Marlins, and they started 6 rookies on Opening Day.

You can't compare the two situations
They tore it down after 97 and were back winning in 03...just a though, but I agree that JR won't go to either Florida team.

TC81190
04-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Reds Trade:
Homer Bailey
Joey Votto
Chris Denorfia
Richie Gardener
Travis Chick
Thom Pauly
Edwin Encarnacion

Marlins Trade:
Dontrellle Willis
Miguel Cabrera

I don't know how realistic that is, but Willis is now, Bailey just has potential. Cabrera replaces Encarnacion.

mound_patrol
04-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Reds Trade:
Homer Bailey
Joey Votto
Chris Denorfia
Richie Gardener
Travis Chick
Thom Pauly
Edwin Encarnacion

Marlins Trade:
Dontrellle Willis
Miguel Cabrera

I don't know how realistic that is, but Willis is now, Bailey just has potential. Cabrera replaces Encarnacion.

I would definitly do this trade. We get two Major league Studs and we'd only be giving up 1 current proven. It'll be interesting to see what Willis will bring in for the Marlins

NatiRedGals
04-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I would also to that trade TC !! If theres anyway of getting willis id be willing to do it ! Hes a guy proven to get where we need him during the games

edabbs44
04-11-2006, 09:43 AM
I would definitly do this trade. We get two Major league Studs and we'd only be giving up 1 current proven. It'll be interesting to see what Willis will bring in for the Marlins

I think we have sunk to a new low...and even if this deal was somehow completed, we would have to hope Willis pitches complete games every time out so the bullpen doesn't waste the salary he would be getting.

The funny thing is BA ranked the Reds system last in the ML. It just shows how bad it is when we would have to technically gut the whole farm system just to get 2 players.

NatiRedGals
04-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I think we have sunk to a new low...and even if this deal was somehow completed, we would have to hope Willis pitches complete games every time out so the bullpen doesn't waste the salary he would be getting.

The funny thing is BA ranked the Reds system last in the ML. It just shows how bad it is when we would have to technically gut the whole farm system just to get 2 players.

True but isnt our farm system ranked last anway? It may be alot but it would be something to consider if theirs anyway .

registerthis
04-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Reds Trade:
Homer Bailey
Joey Votto
Chris Denorfia
Richie Gardener
Travis Chick
Thom Pauly
Edwin Encarnacion

Marlins Trade:
Dontrellle Willis
Miguel Cabrera

This would completely gut whatever semblance of a minor league system we have. The only way I do this deal is if the Reds somehow turn Willis and/or Cabrera around for *better* prospects than we gave up, but if that were the case the Marlins would simply deal with that team rather than the Reds. In 0ther words, I wouldn't do it.

I think the Reds have room to pick up established ML players, but not at the salary level that someone like Willis would command. Foregoing concerns about Willis's delivery angle and long term health, the reds should have learned by now that it is dangerous for a team in their financial situation to have a sizeable percentage of their entire payroll locked up in one or two players. If you want to point to the Marlins' success, you have to look at how they did it (2003-style): many of the young prospects and players they traded for after 1997 paid off in the long run. The Marlins didn't mortgage their future on one or two players, they developed a solid nucleus of young talent that paid huge dividends.

The Reds will not ensure long term competitiveness by pursuing excessively high-priced established ML players. Those players alone will not bring a championship, and the prospects and players lost in any deal for that player have the potential to set the franchise's developmental goals back by years. I'm all for following the Florida model, so long as it isn't done half-assed. Claiming one day that we want to go "younger and cheaper," and the next day dealing 5 prospects for a $12 million/year pitcher is the hallmark of a schizophrenic organization.

KearnsyEars
04-11-2006, 10:12 AM
There is likely nothing the Reds could offer the Marlins that would be competitive with other offers they'll field for Willis.

Someone will overpay badly for him, and they'll overpay with what the Marlins want: young, highly-projectible talent. The Reds have virtually none of that at the high minor league level or even at the major league level. The one commodity that might secure Willis in a trade, Adam Dunn, is too expensive for Florida to take on in salary.

I wouldn't trade dunn for willis straight up. I'd want Willis and at least their best minor league arm if we're gonna give up our star.

Build the team around Dunn.

NatiRedGals
04-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I argee only person in the whole wide MLB for Dunn striaght up is Rich Harden

NatiRedGals
04-11-2006, 11:22 AM
According to this D-Train could be heading to Boston....

WEEI Boston Radio have reported a rumor of Florida Marlins pitcher Dontrelle Willis being traded to the Red Sox for Matt Clement and possibly a young prospect Red Sox pitcher like Lester.

http://www.mlb-trade-rumors.com/

toledodan
04-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Reds Trade:
Homer Bailey
Joey Votto
Chris Denorfia
Richie Gardener
Travis Chick
Thom Pauly
Edwin Encarnacion

Marlins Trade:
Dontrellle Willis
Miguel Cabrera

i would make that trade only if you can sign both to a long term contract. people worry about how much willis will make but griffey will be coming off the books in a couple of seasons. if you back load both contracts i think you could make it work. of course i'm sure this is all a pipe dream anyways.

TeamSelig
04-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Willis for Clement and Lester is a bad trade IMO. Lester is highly regarded, but isn't proven like Willis is. Plus, the DTrain is still really young. Clement is an average to slightly above average starting pitcher with control problems.

But for Cabrera and Willis both, I think I would trade the entire farm system. I think that makes us a contender. How crazy would our lineup be with Miguel Cabrera? Our rotation wouldn't be that bad: Willis, Harang, Arroyo, Claussen, Milton/Williams.... move one of our starters to the bullpen along with Paul Wilson later on this season, and our bullpen improves to decent.

pedro
04-11-2006, 12:56 PM
I like Willis but I wouldn't bet on him for long term success.

He's young, has thrown a ton of innings, and doesn't have a high K rate.

I'd be afraid he'll go all Steve Avery.

smith288
04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
I think im alone in not wanting Dontrell. His whacky motion scares the bajeebus out of me... im probably just being overly cautious...

SeeinRed
04-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I think im alone in not wanting Dontrell. His whacky motion scares the bajeebus out of me... im probably just being overly cautious...

You are not alone... Being as young as he is, he hasn't had to worry about injury, but he can't keep his legs and arms flying like that his whole career I wouldn't think. Without that motion, how good can he be? I wouldn't take a risk on him long term.

RedLegSuperStar
04-11-2006, 01:38 PM

But he swings a mean stick? :D

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 03:27 PM
I just want him because I like the high socks.

NatiRedGals
04-11-2006, 04:57 PM
I just want him because I like the high socks.

:owned: