PDA

View Full Version : New Busch Stadium

WVRed
04-10-2006, 10:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/flash/zoomGallery?section=gen&photoGalleryId=2403785&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2

And Cincinnati gets outdone once again. Pittsburgh creates the crown jewel of baseball parks, and St Louis builds one right up there. New Busch looks incredible, too bad its only seven hours away.:(

Cedric
04-10-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm ready for something creative. I think these new ballparks are doing the same thing as the 70's ballparks but in the other direction.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 10:54 PM
I don't see what they see, it looks like the Phillies place.

GriffeyFan
04-10-2006, 10:57 PM
doesn't look much different from the last few new ballparks.

WVRed
04-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Must be the arch in the background im attracted to.:)

MattyHo4Life
04-10-2006, 11:05 PM

That makes it look different than every other ballpark. :)

paintmered
04-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Looks like you've got yourself a gem of a ballpark, MattyMo.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Closet cards fan :devil:

Phhhl
04-10-2006, 11:14 PM
They're saying it's another launching pad, and that Cardinal pitchers are concerned.

WVRed
04-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Closet cards fan :devil:

You've caught me.

I'm really George Grande.

KronoRed
04-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi hello and Welcome!

guttle11
04-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Yuck. I don't see it. Blah.

boobhat
04-11-2006, 12:02 AM
jim edmonds makes it ugly

CTA513
04-11-2006, 12:02 AM

The Reds could probably paint a yellow McDonalds arch on the batters eye at GABP. ;)

OnBaseMachine
04-11-2006, 06:53 AM
I thought it would look better than what it does. It's not nearly as beautiful as PNC Park or AT&T Park. It's a nice park but I would rank it in a tie or slightly below the Great American Ballpark. And I love the GAB, btw.

WVRed
04-11-2006, 07:27 AM
I thought it would look better than what it does. It's not nearly as beautiful as PNC Park or AT&T Park. It's a nice park but I would rank it in a tie or slightly below the Great American Ballpark. And I love the GAB, btw.

Eh, the black box in CF, the lack of a baseball village, and the big insurance logo on the scoreboard doesnt mesh well with me.

OnBaseMachine
04-11-2006, 07:32 AM
It's a nice looking park but it looks too much like the old Busch for me to rank it among the top five parks.

Everybody knows that old Busch isn't that great. ;)

MattyHo4Life
04-11-2006, 08:03 AM
They're saying it's another launching pad, and that Cardinal pitchers are concerned.

Who is saying that?

MattyHo4Life
04-11-2006, 08:29 AM

I think the backdrop in Centerfield instead of an overhang of seats is one of the best features of Busch III. You can look from homeplate, and see the skyline of the city with the arch and the old courthouse.

traderumor
04-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Nice ballpark, it does look very similar to the Philly Park, which resembles GABP, and so on. They're nice ballparks, all, much better than the round multipurpose, even if they look similar.

NJReds
04-11-2006, 09:32 AM
I think these new ballparks are doing the same thing as the 70's ballparks but in the other direction.

The Mets new stadium will be modeled after Ebbets Field.

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-04/22813286.jpg

MattyHo4Life
04-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Nice ballpark, it does look very similar to the Philly Park, which resembles GABP, and so on. They're nice ballparks, all, much better than the round multipurpose, even if they look similar.

There are osme really nice ballparks. It's hard to make a nice ballpark that doesn't look like some of the others unless you do something crazy, and crazy usually isn't good. When building a new ballpark, I would think that it's important to look at the existing ballparks and improve on them while making your ballpark unique in certain ways. I think St. Louis has done that.

Cedric
04-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I think Pittsburgh did the best job. That is the best stadium I've ever been to.

KronoRed
04-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Eh, the black box in CF, the lack of a baseball village, and the big insurance logo on the scoreboard doesnt mesh well with me.
Yeah the beer logo/owner name is so much better ;)

Fullboat
04-11-2006, 08:53 PM
I like it!

Hopefully the Reds trash it this weekend.

Caseyfan21
04-12-2006, 12:11 AM
I think Pittsburgh did the best job. That is the best stadium I've ever been to.

Agreed

Although I will be getting to Comerica Park this weekend for the Indians/Tigers game so I will have to compare it as Comerica has gotten some good reviews.

Reds Nd2
04-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Who is saying that?

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060410&content_id=1393087&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl

The Cards didn't want a cavernous facility like PETCO Park in San Diego, but nor did they want the kind of park where every dink is a threat to jump the wall. La Russa uses the word "fair" when he's asked. Others say "neutral."

With dimensions quite similar to the previous park, it's reasonable to think that goal has been achieved. But the open-air outfield and slightly increased foul territory mean it's not a certainty until they play games for a few months -- or even a few seasons.

"The only thing we won't know is, with the stadium being open, how it will play with wind and so forth," said general manager Walt Jocketty. "They did wind studies, but to me, it doesn't matter until you get out there and play in it. You can do all the wind studies you want."

OnBaseMachine
04-16-2006, 02:39 AM
Stadium impressive, even from way up here
By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

ST. LOUIS | Greetings from the top of the world, the new Busch III Stadium pressbox, which is closer to the Almighty than the home plate arbiter. The media looks down on the Gateway Arch and incoming flights to Lambert International fly below us.

Illinois is visible from the front row and so is Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania. You not only can see the Mississippi River, you can see the Olentangy, the Allegheny and the Monongahela.

Yeah, it's real high up here, baseball fans. Heaven can wait, but if I die in the pressbox, the trip is a short one.

It looks as if it is going to be an excellent emporium when it is finished. They're playing baseball in the $365 million edifice, but 7,000 seats are unoccupied because, well, they aren't installed yet.

And the place is either a monument to construction derricks which surround the outside or the place isn't quite finished. There are more construction workers flitting about than beer salesmen and they sell more Budweiser than water in St. Louis.

On Friday night, the press workroom to the rear of the pressbox was hotter than an outdoor sauna in Phoenix. Concession stands are on the other side of the wall with hot griddles and the fire marshal closed the workroom Saturday.

There is a crater next door where they blew up Busch II Stadium, but there remains a crater next door to Cincinnati's Great American Ball Park and Cinergy/Riverfront was imploded four years ago.

As with most new baseball parks, center field is open and the view of downtown is impressive — the Gateway Arch looms over center field, the green dome of the historic Old Courthouse is beyond left field. And upper floor rooms of the Millennium Hotel should go for premium prices because the field is completely visible from the upper floors. Hotel guests should be careful because the insides of their rooms are easily viewable from the ballpark with binoculars.

And the playing conditions?

Reds shortstop Felipe Lopez said, "Judging by batting practice, the ball flies out of here, even more than our park. It's weird, though, because when you bat there is an optical illusion, a depth perception thing, that makes the fences look far away. And the infield needs some work. I had a grounder hit by Jim Edmonds take a strange bounce."

Adam Dunn agrees that it is another in the long, long line of hitter's park.

"Oh, yeah, the ball carries here," he said. "It sure does in batting practice but I couldn't tell you about it from Friday's game (three strikeouts)." In his first at-bat Saturday, Dunn made contact — his league-leading sixth homer, a blast into the right field seats.

The pressbox treats are excellent, though. Reds director of media relations Rob Butcher ate nine brownies Friday night, an inter-gastronomical record.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0416mccoyweb.html

StillFunkyB
04-16-2006, 10:16 AM
There are osme really nice ballparks. It's hard to make a nice ballpark that doesn't look like some of the others unless you do something crazy, and crazy usually isn't good. When building a new ballpark, I would think that it's important to look at the existing ballparks and improve on them while making your ballpark unique in certain ways. I think St. Louis has done that.

Agreed.

I would like to go to a Pirates game this year. I want to see what all the hoopla is about. :)

StillFunkyB
04-16-2006, 10:17 AM
The Mets new stadium will be modeled after Ebbets Field.

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-04/22813286.jpg

Looks alot like Camden Yards if you ask me.

TeamBoone
04-16-2006, 01:17 PM
And Camden Yards, though now one of the oldest "new" parks, is still a top contender as one of the best, if not the best (IMHO).

KronoRed
04-16-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm not a fan of stadiums built to look like coliseums, to me that's just not a pretty baseball stadium, the Pirates have it right.

50 60,000 capacity? who cares? you might get that 10 times a year, I like 36-40 parks.